DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Wow, it broke? I've had enough problems with the pins that if I transform the toy to/from Battroid I completely remove the wings/pins first so they're out of the way.

Actually, I did the same thing, but that's what caused it to break. See, the big fat pin isn't want broke. That's fine.

It's that itty-bitty white nub that the wing actually pivots around that snapped. Every time you actually remove the wings, you have to remove the main pins, and then pop them off those nubs. Well, I wouldn't recommend doing that anymore.

Like I said, once I get the actual wings, I'm gluing the big pegs in, drilling out the white nubs, and replacing them with screws. I wish I could shove the plain wings down the throat of whatever dingbat at Bandai thought what they did was anything approaching a good idea. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

December I believe sadly.. so meh.

As for the wing pins.. honestly I didn't have as much of a problem with the big pins as I did with the tiny ones the wings hinge on. Mine just flat out snapped off, so now the only thing holding my wing on is the big fat pin, which isn't even the rotation point.

Absolutely the worst wing pivot design in history.

It seems like Bandai SHOULD be able to do something about the wings in their armored parts release since. I don't know what the fix would be exactly but since we get whole new wings I'm hoping they do something to address those stupid pegs. At the very least, if the pegs were locked into the wing so the whole wing fell off instead of a hard to find peg that'd be a step in the right direction.

I'd be plenty happy if they'd have realized how stupidly simple it would have been to make it so the pegs twist and lock after you put them in. I mean come on.. it looks like they were planning that already, what with the pseudo-slot for a screwdriver. <_<

Once I get the hardpointed wings though, I might not even need those pegs. I'm going to be drilling out the remains of those tiny hinge nubs, and replacing them with a screw (AKA attaching the wings like Yamato did on the VF-17).

I'd be plenty happy if they'd have realized how stupidly simple it would have been to make it so the pegs twist and lock after you put them in. I mean come on.. it looks like they were planning that already, what with the pseudo-slot for a screwdriver. <_<

Once I get the hardpointed wings though, I might not even need those pegs. I'm going to be drilling out the remains of those tiny hinge nubs, and replacing them with a screw (AKA attaching the wings like Yamato did on the VF-17).

Or..... they could have just designed the damn thing with the hard points on the wing and made the wings none removable. I don't understand why they decided to make such an off the wall decision.

Thanks for the pic of the armor, looks so sexuh.

Edited by Loop

Or..... they could have just designed the damn thing with the hard points on the wing and made the wings none removable. I don't understand why they decided to make such an off the wall decision.

I suppose the argument is that some people like the "clean" look without the hard points but others want to have the missiles loaded up. So they tried to make both parties happy with some very poor engineering as the solution. It also means they sell more accessories because each wing with hard points is unique.

Yeah, Bandai has no freaking excuse for not having hardpoints. They did it on the Hi-Metal VF-1 with no trouble.

I just do not understand what kind of mental case thought that the wing design they came up with was anything even nearly satisfactory. Hardpoints or not, the wing design is one of the worst fubar's I've ever seen in toy engineering. It's just pants-on-head stupid.

As for requiring extra wings for hardpoints.. yeah, I will never understand that mentality as long as I live. If they're included like on the VF-1? Sure. But charging extra for a feature that was in pretty much every single instance of that aircraft being on screen is just asinine.

• 3 weeks later...

You were probably lucky enough to get one from HLJ or hobbysearch or animeexport.. I went through nippon yasan and it was 203 when I preordered it. I should've shopped around but that was before I was aware of the different prices.

You were probably lucky enough to get one from HLJ or hobbysearch or animeexport.. I went through nippon yasan and it was 203 when I preordered it. I should've shopped around but that was before I was aware of the different prices.

I got mine from Nippon-Yasan too and it was $168,77 + shipping.

Edited by Reïvaj

Got both of mine through HLJ @ 12880. Nippon-Yasan played the price game with me on the last purchase so they're relegated to final-recourse-emergency-can't-find-anywhere-else orders only.

I got mine from Nippon-Yasan too and it was $168,77 + shipping.

Lucky! Too bad the US dollar to yen exchange was horrible then. I paid 16000 yen + 3600 yen for shipping. The toy itself was already 200 dollars due to the exchange rate. Yeah for uncle sam.

• 3 weeks later...