Legos, anyone?

danth

18 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Oh man, I hope my Wally has them, too, as I'll be heading over there later today. I'm after the majority of those Space sets

I hope you had better luck than I did when I went back tonight. All the new 2024 space stuff was pulled from the shelf. Apparently Wally pulled a no-no and got slapped on the wrist by Lego.

I didn't realize what happened until I got to the register with another set that's supposed to be released in 2024, the police and muscle car chase set and was told it was an "unsellable item" and the confiscated it at the register.

The only reason I picked that set up was due to last years police station being discounted to $56 dollars and I figured it would make a good additional surprise Christmas gift to go with the station.

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I hope you had better luck than I did when I went back tonight. All the new 2024 space stuff was pulled from the shelf. Apparently Wally pulled a no-no and got slapped on the wrist by Lego.

I didn't realize what happened until I got to the register with another set that's supposed to be released in 2024, the police and muscle car chase set and was told it was an "unsellable item" and the confiscated it at the register.

The only reason I picked that set up was due to last years police station being discounted to $56 dollars and I figured it would make a good additional surprise Christmas gift to go with the station.

As it happens, I didn't end up going to Wally today, so I don't know if they put the 2024 sets out yet or not, but my inclination based on experience says no. I'll be surprised if much of the '24 stuff is even on shelves on the first, as they still have a fair bit of '23 stock to get rid of. But, of course, there's always that hope. Fortunately, my Wally is one of several in the city, along with at least three Targets, a mom & pop store that sells both new and used LEGO, and, after many, many years of wishing, our own LEGO Store downtown. Unfortunately, I have little room, and I'm expecting to get a few sets for Christmas, including the Arctic ship set, so I can wait a bit before picking up the new City Space sets, although I eventually intend to get all except maybe the 4+ Spaceship and Asteroid Discovery. Def down for that beautiful Creator giraffe, too. 😍

OK, sneak peek at the next MOC. Hoping there are some other crotchety old fellows around that recognize this. It is from 1997, lol. There are others out there similar to this and they inspired it, but at this point, I re-engineered everything on it, part count is tripled, so I will say there some out there, but this one is mine. Waiting to take better shots as I'm waiting on some missing parts to wrap it up. I already have ideas on further improving it. The arsenal for it is next. Last shot is the whole cabinet to get a sense of scale and to shamelessly show off my shrine to my favorite shoot-em-ups :P.

image.jpeg.b1695d6a62ec67a9bd92eb5d71d8d4e4.jpeg

20231222_091004.jpg

20231222_091217.jpg

20231222_091335.jpg

Quite the shmup collection. I was never much of a gamer until '99, primarily sci-fi FPSs, and I never played shoot em ups, so a lot of these ships are familiar to me from sites like Pinterest or from MOCs I've seen. Looks like you're a big fan of R-Type- those elongated bubble canopies are a cool hallmark of those designs. Your Endymion looks good, and swooshy to boot.  Congrats on finishing it.....until the next mod. 😄

10 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

OK, sneak peek at the next MOC. Hoping there are some other crotchety old fellows around that recognize this. It is from 1997, lol. There are others out there similar to this and they inspired it, but at this point, I re-engineered everything on it, part count is tripled, so I will say there some out there, but this one is mine. Waiting to take better shots as I'm waiting on some missing parts to wrap it up. I already have ideas on further improving it. The arsenal for it is next. Last shot is the whole cabinet to get a sense of scale and to shamelessly show off my shrine to my favorite shoot-em-ups :P.

image.jpeg.b1695d6a62ec67a9bd92eb5d71d8d4e4.jpeg

20231222_091004.jpg

20231222_091217.jpg

20231222_091335.jpg

Lovin it, both the Einhander and your starship collection!

I figure I'd show the new/upcoming City Space Construction mech suit and Interstellar Spaceship now that they are built with the Avatar AMP suit thrown in for scale.

Of the two my favorite is the spaceship. I was a little disingenuous calling it a Buzz Lightyear movie reject the other day. After building it, it honestly reminds me of the old Starcom toys from the 80s with it's design and aesthetic and that's a good thing in my book.

The build is nice and solid while being pretty straightforward with no stickers. It has a unique gimmick where you press on the purple battery and the engines deploy outward another thing reminding me of Starcom. The thing on the wing is a drone/flightpack for the pilot. There's not really anywhere to stow it away besides there.

The  construction mechsuit on the other hand is kind of the opposite. It's fiddly, doesn't feel very solid, and apart from the space logo prints on the shoulders had a bunch of warning stripe stickers that need to be attached. The left arm is a jackhammer that sits loosely and the right is a grasper claw.

The best part is probably the pilot. The helmet and armour are completely new with a four square stud back that you can build attachments onto. The set is rounded out by a small drill drone and a rock formation with power crystals to mine.

Overall a lot of the kits flaws can be overlooked due to it being on the most basic cheaper end of the new Space line. I really can't wait to pickup the two rovers, base, and space station when they become available.

IMG_20231226_013414.jpg

On 12/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, sh9000 said:

I only recently discovered the Blue Brixx Star Trek ships and some of them are cool.  Here are a few:

F4E6C321-3080-497F-A199-A1AAE1E4411E.jpeg.9a1507dee6d568752533978cc8c2d17e.jpeg

6466883D-263C-4A7F-9FE3-12B851BA2515.jpeg.7aebcb1c3b9474f89a41b4241e269d55.jpeg

2AFD68A8-0E6C-4702-B39A-7EF554C50575.jpeg.cf8515c16e282626f21da92632d7bb48.jpeg

57463BE8-D7EA-4988-82F4-3F7A4D792008.jpeg.10071dea0810eb7f9c97d8a9891eb486.jpeg

6FFB7607-6B5B-401C-91BC-51634E32710D.jpeg.6292c2bc085392f794ad33c8e5b11909.jpeg

BAAE4A6D-103D-44E0-8DDD-464F9526215B.jpeg.860b090463d05e7e736928ba1b182e28.jpeg

2EAAFBC0-4F7D-4DB2-AA48-6F5A1ED308C1.jpeg.e3b6b1f70389b90d29225966a7425a69.jpeg

It’s funny you brought these up. I ordered a bunch of these over the past few weeks. Just waiting for them to arrive. I ordered the Large Voyager (pictured), then the Large Bird of Prey (pictured) and a mid scale Aliens drop ship, then the Large scale Enterprise D and the mid scale Constellation, and lastly the just released Large Enterprise E (pictured) and the mid scale Defiant (which appears to be about the same scale as the Voyager)

Chris

I just finished the Skyraider. What a nice kit! This is the second Brick Veteran kit I’ve bought, the first being the F4U Corsair. This is a much nicer kit. The Corsair is very delicate and the landing gear can not be deployed. While the A-1 has folding wings and fully functional landing gear…a space saver for sure. It is also very solid and less finicky than the Corsair. If you have the funds I highly recommend the Skyraider kit when the inevitable Navy version is done. 

IMG_2253.jpeg.14f90ec4b02d86f676091f3fcce7a09a.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg.c9f71d9c640f72498c893588dca29d7e.jpeg

Chris

20 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

So about those new Lego Space sets....

Mission Accomplished.🫡

IMG_20240101_145844.jpg

Lucky you! I've been to two Walmarts and neither has any 2024 stuff out yet, although the one down the road from me looks like they're getting ready to do a reset in the LEGO aisle, so I'm guessing they'll have them stocked by week's end. My wife's going to get me the two large sets and I'll likely get the rest, minus possibly one for birthday fodder. I was hoping my Wally would have at least that polybag, but no. What they did have, however, was a Technic polybag of a Mars rover, complete with working suspension. Pretty neat little model, I must say.

My wife also got me a newly released coffee table book called LEGO Space 1978-1992 by Tim Johnson, founder of newelementary.com, a blog focused on LEGO parts. There are some interesting interviews with various designers concerning the development of early Classic Space themes, mostly centered on Jens Nygaard Knudsen, creator of nearly all the 1978 sets as well as the inventor of the minifig and general overseer of LEGO Space for years. Alas, no direct interviews were conducted with Mr. Knudsen, as he sadly passed in 2020 from ALS, and judging from what others have said about his boundless imagination and creativity, it's a huge loss to fans like me who were craving a deep dive into the creation of all these wonderful space sets that have had a lasting lifetime influence. It seems incomprehensible that more interviews weren't conducted with him while he was still with us, as his influence was dominant in the 70s-90s, and continues to this day, as many of the parts he designed are still in use, and sets like 10497 harken back to the original line of Space sets that released in '78 introducing the world to a bunch of nifty blue and grey spaceships and minifig astronauts to interact with and build stories around. However, I am thankful that a number of designers from the 70's and onward who worked with Jens and knew him personally have shared some of their memories in the book. IMHO, those anecdotes and memories only whet the appetite for a more profound conversation with Jens himself, but in his absence, his legacy speaks volumes.

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Lucky you! I've been to two Walmarts and neither has any 2024 stuff out yet, although the one down the road from me looks like they're getting ready to do a reset in the LEGO aisle, so I'm guessing they'll have them stocked by week's end. My wife's going to get me the two large sets and I'll likely get the rest, minus possibly one for birthday fodder. I was hoping my Wally would have at least that polybag, but no. What they did have, however, was a Technic polybag of a Mars rover, complete with working suspension. Pretty neat little model, I must say.

My wife also got me a newly released coffee table book called LEGO Space 1978-1992 by Tim Johnson, founder of newelementary.com, a blog focused on LEGO parts. There are some interesting interviews with various designers concerning the development of early Classic Space themes, mostly centered on Jens Nygaard Knudsen, creator of nearly all the 1978 sets as well as the inventor of the minifig and general overseer of LEGO Space for years. Alas, no direct interviews were conducted with Mr. Knudsen, as he sadly passed in 2020 from ALS, and judging from what others have said about his boundless imagination and creativity, it's a huge loss to fans like me who were craving a deep dive into the creation of all these wonderful space sets that have had a lasting lifetime influence. It seems incomprehensible that more interviews weren't conducted with him while he was still with us, as his influence was dominant in the 70s-90s, and continues to this day, as many of the parts he designed are still in use, and sets like 10497 harken back to the original line of Space sets that released in '78 introducing the world to a bunch of nifty blue and grey spaceships and minifig astronauts to interact with and build stories around. However, I am thankful that a number of designers from the 70's and onward who worked with Jens and knew him personally have shared some of their memories in the book. IMHO, those anecdotes and memories only whet the appetite for a more profound conversation with Jens himself, but in his absence, his legacy speaks volumes.

I would be super interested in a book about "my" classic Lego Space themes which I would describe as the visor era from Futuron (1987) till Exploriens (1996).

But since the cutoff date seems to be 1992 I assume it stops at Blacktron II and Space Police 2?

This seems an odd split to me. I have no nostalgia for the visor-less "classic“ Space sets from Lego so for me a book covering 1978 - 1988 and another one for 1989 - 1996 would make much more sense to me.

Do you know why the era for the book was chosen to cover these 14 years?

I know it is pretentious off me to demand of the author to cater to my nostalgia it just makes no logical sense to me.

How well does the book cover the Futuron - Space Police 2 lines? Or is the focus on the Classic Space sets?

18 hours ago, Scyla said:

I would be super interested in a book about "my" classic Lego Space themes which I would describe as the visor era from Futuron (1987) till Exploriens (1996).

But since the cutoff date seems to be 1992 I assume it stops at Blacktron II and Space Police 2?

This seems an odd split to me. I have no nostalgia for the visor-less "classic“ Space sets from Lego so for me a book covering 1978 - 1988 and another one for 1989 - 1996 would make much more sense to me.

Do you know why the era for the book was chosen to cover these 14 years?

I know it is pretentious off me to demand of the author to cater to my nostalgia it just makes no logical sense to me.

How well does the book cover the Futuron - Space Police 2 lines? Or is the focus on the Classic Space sets?

1978 and on is my Classic Space; I was there for all of it, and I still remember looking longingly at the little folded brochures featuring sets from across Town, Space, Castle, and later, Pirates as a kid. Space, of course, was my favorite theme, but I also liked some Town stuff, mostly construction. Castle was cool, but I never had any as a kid, and with limited funds and limited choices for birthday and Christmas gifts, Space was almost always my choice of LEGO sets. I got a few nice Technic and Model Team sets in there, too, though.

I, too, hope Tim Johnson continues this book as a series, breaking them down by eras. To answer your question, "Why stop at '92?", according to the author, it was the last year of only classic smiley faced figs, and as an aside, Jens Knudsen moved to a different department in '93. Tim Johnson said in an interview that deciding at what point the cutoff would be was a tough decision, so the last themes with all smiley faces seemed a good point. I'm with you, though; when Blacktron arrived with those cool mysterious black visors, I was over the moon for them. As helmets and visor colors changed from theme to theme, I was totally on board for all of it. More than that, though, I was blown away by the UFO Zotaxian minifigs with their extremely complex and detailed printing (especially for the time) and those fantastic alien looking helmets. They remain some of my all-time favorite minifig designs to this day. sp044.jpgLEGO minifigures SP042 UFO Zotaxian Alien - Blue Officer (Commander X) | Brickset

As to how well the book covers the various themes, it does a set-by-set photo with a very brief expose' from 78-92 highlighting major features of each set. It also touches on concepts that never made it to production, sets that were in the final production stages that, for whatever reason, were never released, interviews with a number of designers and other LEGO employees with insights generally regarding Mr. Knudsen's personality and such. Mr. Johnson also employed some license, creating a small action narrative for each set just for additional flavor. I'd have preferred more info on the sets themselves, but I'm sure there are fans who enjoy that sort of thing. In some instances, in crafting his narratives, he used info from advertisements and other production materials, so not everything is entirely made up by Tim- there's a kernel of legit history here and there. And because Mr. Johnson is a connoisseur of LEGO parts, he dutifully highlights various parts that were developed or introduced in Space themes from '78-'92. As FOL who has always been excited by the addition of new parts in the inventory, it's a welcome addition to the book that I personally enjoy and hope he continues should there be another volume to follow. I hope so. I think all these sets have merit, some great backstories, and each represents an entry point into LEGO Space themes for one generation or another. I think those stories need to be told and all of those themes and sets need to be celebrated in like fashion.

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

1978 and on is my Classic Space; I was there for all of it, and I still remember looking longingly at the little folded brochures featuring sets from across Town, Space, Castle, and later, Pirates as a kid. Space, of course, was my favorite theme, but I also liked some Town stuff, mostly construction. Castle was cool, but I never had any as a kid, and with limited funds and limited choices for birthday and Christmas gifts, Space was almost always my choice of LEGO sets. I got a few nice Technic and Model Team sets in there, too, though.

I, too, hope Tim Johnson continues this book as a series, breaking them down by eras. To answer your question, "Why stop at '92?", according to the author, it was the last year of only classic smiley faced figs, and as an aside, Jens Knudsen moved to a different department in '93. Tim Johnson said in an interview that deciding at what point the cutoff would be was a tough decision, so the last themes with all smiley faces seemed a good point. I'm with you, though; when Blacktron arrived with those cool mysterious black visors, I was over the moon for them. As helmets and visor colors changed from theme to theme, I was totally on board for all of it. More than that, though, I was blown away by the UFO Zotaxian minifigs with their extremely complex and detailed printing (especially for the time) and those fantastic alien looking helmets. They remain some of my all-time favorite minifig designs to this day. sp044.jpgLEGO minifigures SP042 UFO Zotaxian Alien - Blue Officer (Commander X) | Brickset

As to how well the book covers the various themes, it does a set-by-set photo with a very brief expose' from 78-92 highlighting major features of each set. It also touches on concepts that never made it to production, sets that were in the final production stages that, for whatever reason, were never released, interviews with a number of designers and other LEGO employees with insights generally regarding Mr. Knudsen's personality and such. Mr. Johnson also employed some license, creating a small action narrative for each set just for additional flavor. I'd have preferred more info on the sets themselves, but I'm sure there are fans who enjoy that sort of thing. In some instances, in crafting his narratives, he used info from advertisements and other production materials, so not everything is entirely made up by Tim- there's a kernel of legit history here and there. And because Mr. Johnson is a connoisseur of LEGO parts, he dutifully highlights various parts that were developed or introduced in Space themes from '78-'92. As FOL who has always been excited by the addition of new parts in the inventory, it's a welcome addition to the book that I personally enjoy and hope he continues should there be another volume to follow. I hope so. I think all these sets have merit, some great backstories, and each represents an entry point into LEGO Space themes for one generation or another. I think those stories need to be told and all of those themes and sets need to be celebrated in like fashion.

The cutoff for the smiley faces is a tad odd given that Space Police 2 has already printed microphones for the officers which is not that different from the hairdo on the Ice Planet figures but I digress.

I guess the author had to make a cut somewhere. It’s just not the point I would have chosen.

My favorite Minifig from that era is probably the Spyrus robot with the transparent helmet:

image.png.36782234f3b0e6158fbe66c517f6f808.png

I guess I should buy the book to encourage the author to do volume 2.

12 hours ago, Scyla said:

The cutoff for the smiley faces is a tad odd given that Space Police 2 has already printed microphones for the officers which is not that different from the hairdo on the Ice Planet figures but I digress.

I guess the author had to make a cut somewhere. It’s just not the point I would have chosen.

My favorite Minifig from that era is probably the Spyrus robot with the transparent helmet:

image.png.36782234f3b0e6158fbe66c517f6f808.png

I guess I should buy the book to encourage the author to do volume 2.

I'm guessing there were probably financial factors as well for keeping the book to a certain length, as he likely had a budget to observe. My hope is that this one will sell well prompting a second volume to finish off the rest of the Space themes, including 2024's return of Sci-fi Space sets across a multitude of major themes. 

The Spyrius robot is indeed cool. I wish they'd done bots as minifigs from the beginning, as the brick-built robots, while they had their charms, were generally quite limited in their articulation. While the minifig is rather anachronistic and limited itself, it's still superior to the alternatives and just fits better IMHO.

On 12/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, Dobber said:

I just finished the Skyraider. What a nice kit! This is the second Brick Veteran kit I’ve bought, the first being the F4U Corsair. This is a much nicer kit. The Corsair is very delicate and the landing gear can not be deployed. While the A-1 has folding wings and fully functional landing gear…a space saver for sure. It is also very solid and less finicky than the Corsair. If you have the funds I highly recommend the Skyraider kit when the inevitable Navy version is done. 

IMG_2253.jpeg.14f90ec4b02d86f676091f3fcce7a09a.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg.c9f71d9c640f72498c893588dca29d7e.jpeg

Chris

The Skyraider looks great.  It's disappointing to hear about the Corsair not having functional landing gear though, and that's quite unusual for a BV kit.

9 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

The Skyraider looks great.  It's disappointing to hear about the Corsair not having functional landing gear though, and that's quite unusual for a BV kit.

Yeah, the mains are there and “technically” can be position down but it’s just balancing on them and not secure and they will collapse with the slightest touch. 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

@M'Kyuun I got my copy of the Lego Space book and while it contains a whole lot I'm not interested in and doesn’t contain everything I wanted (I really hope the author gives us a second volume) it is nice to have some documentation and clear images of my favorite Lego Space set: 6781 SP-Striker (maybe my favorite Lego set ever).

My childhood copy of the toy has seen better days and is currently in storage so it is nice to look at the lovely pictures: much nostalgia :wub:

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

@M'Kyuun I got my copy of the Lego Space book and while it contains a whole lot I'm not interested in and doesn’t contain everything I wanted (I really hope the author gives us a second volume) it is nice to have some documentation and clear images of my favorite Lego Space set: 6781 SP-Striker (maybe my favorite Lego set ever).

My childhood copy of the toy has seen better days and is currently in storage so it is nice to look at the lovely pictures: much nostalgia :wub:

I'm glad you got some small measure of enjoyment from the book. Having grown up with Classic Space from the beginning, its impact, and thus enjoyment, is far greater for me. The nostalgia factor is certainly a huge part of that, as my collection was rather small as a kid, and though I've managed to pick up a few sets over the years, there are still many I don't own and would eventually like to find, or re-find, to add to my collection. To have a consolidated collection of nice clear photos of all those sets along with background, of which I vehemently wish there was far more than what was provided, makes for a valuable resource and just an enjoyable perusable to have at hand. I very much wish more in-depth interviews, and just more interviews period, had been conducted with Jens Nygaard Knudsen while he was with us. We see so much stuff written about guys like Steve Jobs, but here's the guy who was absolutely central to LEGO's success from the 70s onward creating and influencing major themes, inventing parts, the minifig itself, and numerous innovations and improvements through the several decades he worked at LEGO. It's not hyperbole to say LEGO is the most successful toy company in the world today in no small part due to his contributions. And yet, there seems to be so little info about him, especially in his own words, and that frustrates and saddens me. I digress.

I complain, but honestly I'm glad this book exists. I hope it's received well enough to inspire a second volume covering the rest of the Space themes from '92 to the present City Space sets, which are leaning hard into that sense of exploration that so characterized the original '70s & 80s sets. If it happens, I'm down for a copy.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'm glad you got some small measure of enjoyment from the book. Having grown up with Classic Space from the beginning, its impact, and thus enjoyment, is far greater for me. The nostalgia factor is certainly a huge part of that, as my collection was rather small as a kid, and though I've managed to pick up a few sets over the years, there are still many I don't own and would eventually like to find, or re-find, to add to my collection. To have a consolidated collection of nice clear photos of all those sets along with background, of which I vehemently wish there was far more than what was provided, makes for a valuable resource and just an enjoyable perusable to have at hand. I very much wish more in-depth interviews, and just more interviews period, had been conducted with Jens Nygaard Knudsen while he was with us. We see so much stuff written about guys like Steve Jobs, but here's the guy who was absolutely central to LEGO's success from the 70s onward creating and influencing major themes, inventing parts, the minifig itself, and numerous innovations and improvements through the several decades he worked at LEGO. It's not hyperbole to say LEGO is the most successful toy company in the world today in no small part due to his contributions. And yet, there seems to be so little info about him, especially in his own words, and that frustrates and saddens me. I digress.

I complain, but honestly I'm glad this book exists. I hope it's received well enough to inspire a second volume covering the rest of the Space themes from '92 to the present City Space sets, which are leaning hard into that sense of exploration that so characterized the original '70s & 80s sets. If it happens, I'm down for a copy.

I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have still vivid memories about some of the visor-less less, be it from old Lego catalogs (if I remember there was a period where visor-less and visor sets overlapped) or from seeing adds in older issues of comic books. 
I just would have preferred a different scope but I digress.

I agree that even if we document a lot with the help of the Internet, so much valuable information is lost, at least for special interest groups like us.

Maybe this is the reason why so many of us try to curate a personal collection because we know no one else will (I mean how many people in the world are interested in the history of Cliffjumper toys).

8 hours ago, Scyla said:

I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have still vivid memories about some of the visor-less less, be it from old Lego catalogs (if I remember there was a period where visor-less and visor sets overlapped) or from seeing adds in older issues of comic books. 
I just would have preferred a different scope but I digress.

I agree that even if we document a lot with the help of the Internet, so much valuable information is lost, at least for special interest groups like us.

Maybe this is the reason why so many of us try to curate a personal collection because we know no one else will (I mean how many people in the world are interested in the history of Cliffjumper toys).

Visored and visor-less figs did overlap, especially in 1987 when the final wave of visorless sets released along with Futuron and Blacktron, and likely spent several years on the shelves together, as sets generally enjoyed a longer shelf life at that time. LEGO's yearly production was but a fraction then of what it is today, and sets remained available for longer periods. It's a point that long haunts me with regret as I didn't pick up nearly as many sets as I wish I had, especially in the 90s when I had enough disposable income as a young Airman to splurge on a nice set from time to time. I was pretty frugal back then, though, and let a lot of opportunities slip by to my eternal regret.

So far as collecting, different strokes; our own @mikeszekely, along with collecting Transformers toys across the board, specifically collects Optimus Prime figs. Some folks love the Seekers or different versions of Soundwave. Collecting runs the gamut, and the collectors have their reasons for collecting broadly, as I do, or specifically collecting this character or that. I have a preference for G1 Prowl, and I have a few versions of him in my collection, although I don't take it to the extreme that other collectors do. Regardless, it's a hobby and if it's harmless and brings joy to the collector, more power to them I say. At least those toys are loved. I have likely a couple thousand LEGO sets in my collection at this point across many themes stretching all the way back to those '79 Classic Space sets. I never had a Dark Age, as I collected continually, although minimally at times, since I was about 6 or 7 years old. I'm 52 now, and I'll never give up LEGO as a hobby. It's an intrinsic part of who I am, as is my love of transforming robots, and mecha in general. I'm just happy to be living in an era where both are very popular and abundantly available. As our interior space diminishes with each acquisition, however, my wife is less than enthused, and admittedly, it's becoming a point of frustration for me too. Alas, it's every collector's conundrum: running out of space.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That Tantiv IV looks like someone shrunk its head.

Yeah, the cost of scaling down when you have a fixed resolution to work with, and LEGO has an abysmal lack of variety when it comes to cylindrical elements.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, the cost of scaling down when you have a fixed resolution to work with, and LEGO has an abysmal lack of variety when it comes to cylindrical elements.

I eagerly await the various MOC fixes for it so it doesn't look so wrong.

Mind you, I'm usually the last one to complain about proportions and such, but it's just so far off.

Well... I did it. I bought another big damn castle to go along with the other big damn Lion Knight's Castle.

This one is the Black Falcon's Mountain Fortress from Bricklink's Designer program. Only 30,000 are being made on a one time run and preorders started about an hour ago with it nearly being sold out already.

2780540.A67B8501F5B37204.png