Legos, anyone?

danth

I don't know why they don't sell that Amelia Earhart Lego separately. Perhaps another is in the works and this is just an appetizer. I was thinking about a few Lego sets but I'm not about to spend $100 on a Lego now when there are a few other things I'm waiting on.

11 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I don't know why they don't sell that Amelia Earhart Lego separately. Perhaps another is in the works and this is just an appetizer. I was thinking about a few Lego sets but I'm not about to spend $100 on a Lego now when there are a few other things I'm waiting on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up selling it separately, or making it something you can trade for VIP points later in the year. One thing that would be really cool to see is the LEGO Group going back to releasing minfig sized props. I would be totally in for a a larger scale version of Earhart's Lockheed Vega 5b. I'm also down for her modified Model 10-E Electra in brick form, but I also understand why LEGO might hesitate turning that airliner into an official set.

Admittedly, I was never into Pooh, even as a child. That said, the little honey loving bear and his odd assortment of friends have been delighting kids, and adults too, since 1926, and I think for that reason, it was a good choice for LEGO to realize as a set through IDEAS.  I can't say that I agree with LEGO's marketing this set as 18+, as  many a parent, grandparent, uncle, friend, etc, especially those who aren't into LEGO, take those age markings seriously, and to my eye, neither the build nor the subject matter justify that age designation. I'm all for LEGO creating sets that specifically appeal to adults; as an AFOL who builds sets and MOCs and attends LEGO conventions, which are organized and supported by AFOLs, I'm very much aware of the adult fanbase. However, I don't think they should be pushing that agenda so aggressively, especially with something like this that would undoubtedly delight young kids as much as older ones. 

Well, I took the plunge dipped into my savings and bought the Massive Star Destroyer. It was available again and figured I regret not getting one once they are gone. 

Chris

9 hours ago, Dobber said:

Well, I took the plunge dipped into my savings and bought the Massive Star Destroyer. It was available again and figured I regret not getting one once they are gone. 

Chris

Why did you have to mention those were available again...

Oh well, wallet go brrrrrrrrr.:crazy:

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Why did you have to mention those were available again...

Oh well, wallet go brrrrrrrrr.:crazy:

Lol, that’s how I felt. When I saw it available again and labeled Hard to Find....I caved. :ph34r:

Chris

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Lol, that’s how I felt. When I saw it available again and labeled Hard to Find....I caved. :ph34r:

Chris

I've always wanted one of those huge ridiculous Star Wars ELGO sets. Missed the millennium falcon and the death star, figured this was probably my last shot at one not from the prequels/sequels.

Nice!

I’ve been working on the new UCS Star Destroyer....I just keep laughing because it is just so ridiculously BIG! It just makes me giddy. 

DBE3F0AB-CEF9-4D2B-8A7B-8C2C46D65A8B.thumb.jpeg.f598aba23f51eb03f2365bb0049bb81b.jpeg

Chris

Edited by Dobber

17 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Nice!

I’ve been working on the new UCS Star Destroyer....I just keep laughing because it is just so ridiculously BIG! It just makes me giddy. 

DBE3F0AB-CEF9-4D2B-8A7B-8C2C46D65A8B.thumb.jpeg.f598aba23f51eb03f2365bb0049bb81b.jpeg

Chris

Big and colorful. ^_^

I really love how the first 3 bags just get the general outline and core support. Like laying down the keel of a real ship. My basement is now an imperial shipyard. Lol

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Nice!

Chris

Sweet, mine just showed up a few hours ago, not even sure if I have the space to build it.

13 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Sweet, mine just showed up a few hours ago, not even sure if I have the space to build it.

Yeah, the finished ISD looks good but I feel he is even more unwieldy than the UCS Falcon. 

I really hope we get another USC Imperial Shuttle. The last one (which I don’t have) was done in white where I would see the light blueish gray as the more appropriate color choice. Also the shape of the cockpit really throws off the model as a whole.

8 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Yeah, the finished ISD looks good but I feel he is even more unwieldy than the UCS Falcon. 

I really hope we get another USC Imperial Shuttle. The last one (which I don’t have) was done in white where I would see the light blueish gray as the more appropriate color choice. Also the shape of the cockpit really throws off the model as a whole.

Yeah, the cockpit model on the old UCS shuttle is rotten.  Shape across the board was a bit weird, really, and there've been some much better alternatives developed since it was released.

I really would like to get that new UCS ISD, since that one looks leaps and bounds more robust than the one from.. oy, was that twenty years ago now? :p  The original was all a mess of loose plates held by magnets, and was more like a sculpture than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh for crying out loud LEGO... make a new full stack already.  You had the perfect opportunity on the Ideas site, and you ignored what might have been the fastest 10k vote in history. <_<

Still a must have, because that one looks amazing, but really.  Small gripe though, those door hinges are funky massive.  They couldn't do a better job hiding them?

Also, I'm sorely tempted by the giant destroyer.. maybe something to do with a tax refund. :lol: 

I won’t drop the obvious meme but.......DO IT!....Just DO IIIIIIIT! Lol

I agree about the hinges, a little unfortunate there. I will probably display with that 3rd option open doors with the Hubble deployed.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Hah.. we'll see.  I've got other expenses that might take priority this year, so not sure what the picture will be, or how long I'll have to get one.  I've got a chunk of VIP points to burn before June, so I'll have to grab something, but I'm thinking that Shuttle or the Batwing are more likely.

Much as I'd love another pile of gray plates to facilitate military builds, I still haven't even built either of the UCS Millennium Falcons. :lol: 

Here's the page for it on the LEGO e-shop:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nasa-space-shuttle-discovery-10283

I've been focusing so much on Creator Expert builds, that I missed the rumors around this set. Was it meant to have the tank and boosters? Whatever the case, I like how this set focuses on a specific scale build of the shuttle itself. The hinges don't bother me, even though it doesn't look as flush as the brick-built Creator set of old. I am happy to see that LEGO made unique pieces for things like the bay doors. I also like the nifty gimmicks that were showcased, as well as the shiny and deployable Hubble Space Telescope.

It does have the usual UCS-style price tag. I agree with @Dobber. This is a good reason to bust out some VIP points.

Can You use multiple coupons for an online purchase? I don’t have enough VP points for the  $100 off coupon. But I do have enough for a $50 off and a $20 off.  Or is it only 1 coupon at a time?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

18 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Can You use multiple coupons for an online purchase? I don’t have enough VP points for the  $100 off coupon. But I do have enough for a $50 off and a $20 off.  Or is it only 1 coupon at a time?

Chris

Yes. LEGO allows you to add multiple vouchers.

The only limitation is that your discount cannot be higher than your subtotal. That is, they won't pay you for buying a LEGO set ;):

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/help/online-help/lego-vip/where-to-add-vip-codes-promotional-codes-and-discount-codes-at-checkout-408100000017545

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Yes. LEGO allows you to add multiple vouchers.

The only limitation is that your discount cannot be higher than your subtotal. That is, they won't pay you for buying a LEGO set ;):

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/help/online-help/lego-vip/where-to-add-vip-codes-promotional-codes-and-discount-codes-at-checkout-408100000017545

Thanks tech.

:D

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Thanks for the heads up, it is sooo bought!

7 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Thanks tech.

:D

You're welcome! :drinks:

Speaking of VIP points. There is word that LEGO is running a VIP promotion (1800 points) for another satellite to go along with this Shuttle set. As usual, it'll be a limited run only. I haven't had any luck getting these promotional sets, but I figured I would share in case anyone else wants to try.

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-nasa-discovery-space-shuttle-and-hubble-telescope-official-details/

Yeah, I'm not sure there are nearly enough orange elements to make a tank in that scale.  I think the 9-stud diameter for the tank worked really well for the Ideas shuttle design, even if it was an odd construction, but the Saturn V proved they can do large cylinders effectively.

Can kind of estimate the potential dimensions for the parts based on the orbiter, which looks about a 10 stud body width, and 44 stud wingspan.  My best estimate of the shuttle's body width is 25% of the wingspan, which puts it at about 6 meters, with the tank and boosters having diameters of 8.4 m and 3.7 respectively.  That would point to something like a 14-stud diameter tank, and 6-stud boosters, maybe?  The tank is easier to manage, because you'd have to build it like the Saturn V, but 6-stud boosters might be ugly to make.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Seriously, all I'm waiting for is someone to build up the tank and boosters for it.  Then the full crawler. :lol: 

I'll wait for that myself.

I saw how people are creating liftoff dioramas for the Saturn V Lego.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, I'm not sure there are nearly enough orange elements to make a tank in that scale.  I think the 9-stud diameter for the tank worked really well for the Ideas shuttle design, even if it was an odd construction, but the Saturn V proved they can do large cylinders effectively.

Can kind of estimate the potential dimensions for the parts based on the orbiter, which looks about a 10 stud body width, and 44 stud wingspan.  My best estimate of the shuttle's body width is 25% of the wingspan, which puts it at about 6 meters, with the tank and boosters having diameters of 8.4 m and 3.7 respectively.  That would point to something like a 14-stud diameter tank, and 6-stud boosters, maybe?  The tank is easier to manage, because you'd have to build it like the Saturn V, but 6-stud boosters might be ugly to make.

It’s funny you mentioned the S5 I was thinking the diameter of it looks like it would work for the shuttle fuel tank too. Just eyeballing though. Still need to build my lunar lander set but here is the Saturn V in all her glory! Finished it back in January  

F1A56E07-3E05-4F91-B570-B2AAD857A9E5.thumb.jpeg.59ef6ba82e8815d7f93cb6b7b5755871.jpeg

E6279832-2B7A-4C0C-92B1-25BCBA12D5DE.thumb.jpeg.695452d02b77ee44decb33ace7f8838c.jpeg

135B3BE2-5863-4248-ADCB-C48594F73276.thumb.jpeg.045359a465a19135e1798ee003a0da2f.jpeg

(Note the in-scale micro-fig at the bottom)

Chris

For anyone that is interested and want a Saturn V set, I saw it was back in stock at the LEGO site. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

18 hours ago, Dobber said:

For anyone that is interested and want a Saturn V set, I saw it was back in stock at the LEGO site. 

Chris

Cashed in my VIP points from the Star Destroyer and ordered one.

In the meantime, one of the lego-compatible kits from COBI showed up, the USS Enterprise (CV-6)

6 hours later (and one missing part <_<) and I have a big cinderblock of a kit on my shelves.

20210323_225951.thumb.jpg.fcc047669b641c1a7666bafdd46d6deb.jpg