My Valkyrie concepts

Frogze

I've started playing with some original valks design ideas, which also made me feel a little bit better about buying all these Yamato valks for the last 2 years.

I had a ton of fun doing all this nonsense, thinking how it could transform and be functional in every mode and still look Kawamori-ish (well, kind of)... mindboggling but in a fun way, I hope you enjoy it happy.gif

ez05-w.png

ez08-w.png

Edited by Frogze

frothymug : Thanks a lot, dude :) And please yes, share some thoughts about it!

Raptor One : it's my favorite as well and the last one I did. I should work on the other modes, I just left a few hints as to how it might transform but for the 19 and 21 I only concentrated on fighter, leaving the fun part for later ;)

Kelsain : haha of course you're right about that nosecone :lol:! I confess I noticed it much later but was too lazy to change it and left there with a shrug

Thanks for watching guys, more soon!

Don't be at all discouraged by the lack of responses to your artwork. This forum is not well-traveled by the rest of the lurkers.

As far as your art goes, I really like the poses you've drawn and all three really do encapsulate the required "look", that of a bitchin' robot that neatly transforms into a sharp-looking fighter; not the other way around.

I should probably start to do drawings like this soon. It definitely will help me along with my development as an engineering student.

I've started playing with some original valks design ideas, which also made me feel a little bit better about buying all these Yamato valks for the last 2 years.

I had a ton of fun doing all this nonsense, thinking how it could transform and be functional in every mode and still look Kawamori-ish (well, kind of)... mindboggling but in a fun way, I hope you enjoy it ^_^

The YFZ-21 looks Kawamori-ish ;)

Awesome designs!!! Would like to see more.

Hey everyone, thanks again for watching and letting me know what you think, it's really appreciated!

frothymug : during my engineering studies drawing definitely help me a lot, especially drawing teachers with funny big heads when I was too bored to listen to them wink.gif

Vic Mancini & Nicaragua : Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad you both liked the SMG gunpod (mostly a shameless rip-off of the GU-15)

chillyche : Thanks!

Ignacio Ocamica : That's definitely the most flattering compliment you could make about it! More is coming, maybe even a short comic if I can find the time

>EXO< : Thank you! Yes it's digital, done on my trusty Wacom Intuos tablet. You can see some more things (although not macross related) here : http://le-blogze.blogspot.com/ now let's go kick these inbits out of Earth!

Knight26 : I know what you mean, I like clean simple designs as well. If I get to rework any of these, I will definitely opt for a more streamlined, "real life" look.

Some more 21 and an old Mac Plus sketch I miserably tried to fix

yfz21trans-ww.png

Mac-plus3-w.png

Edited by Frogze

the designs you provide... uhm... i dunno. how ever the art STYLE (and especially the Isamu smartass posse)... wow. im struggling to think where ive seen simular line art before. It's very... well its very very cool. it gives me this thinking that its NOT super deformed but it so wants to be, vibe. do you other genre besides Macross? i'd love to see what you'd do with battlemechs or generic GMs from Mobile Suit Gundam?

Edited by pensives_wetness

Mommar : I folded the wings upwards because I thought it would make the battroid's silhouette still look menacing, glad you like it, thanks!

Vic Mancini : Thanks! Actually I was happy about it until I started working on the gerwalk as the arms were a bit of a problem sitting there... I came up with a solution by flipping the shoulders forward, not sure if it's clear in the sketch below (btw the biceps slides back and forth on the length of the shoulder)

pensives_wetness : Thanks a lot, glad you liked the Isamu! It's all done for the fun of it (and the love for Macross). I must say I'm not into Gundam at all, but I might try some Mospeada or Patlabor stuff someday ;)

Mr March : Thanks a lot, I'll definitely try to do something more eyefriendly with the 21, I've still got to get through some details about transformation and a couple battroid gimmicks but it's definitely going to happen

anime52k8 : Thank you so much for the kind words and the support, I'll try my best to keep some more fun coming ;)

Raptor One : well somebody finally likes it! Thanks man :lol:

Again thanks to everyone for watching and sharing your thoughts about it!

Here's more roughs of the 21:

yfz21trans2-w.png

• 2 weeks later...

Mommar : I folded the wings upwards because I thought it would make the battroid's silhouette still look menacing, glad you like it, thanks!

Vic Mancini : Thanks! Actually I was happy about it until I started working on the gerwalk as the arms were a bit of a problem sitting there... I came up with a solution by flipping the shoulders forward, not sure if it's clear in the sketch below (btw the biceps slides back and forth on the length of the shoulder)

pensives_wetness : Thanks a lot, glad you liked the Isamu! It's all done for the fun of it (and the love for Macross). I must say I'm not into Gundam at all, but I might try some Mospeada or Patlabor stuff someday ;)

Mr March : Thanks a lot, I'll definitely try to do something more eyefriendly with the 21, I've still got to get through some details about transformation and a couple battroid gimmicks but it's definitely going to happen

anime52k8 : Thank you so much for the kind words and the support, I'll try my best to keep some more fun coming ;)

Raptor One : well somebody finally likes it! Thanks man :lol:

Again thanks to everyone for watching and sharing your thoughts about it!

Here's more roughs of the 21:

yfz21trans2-w.png

Looking great. I love the color coding too. Keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys!

Kicker : thanks a lot, and same back at your unbelivable Yamato collection!

Mr March : I don't know if you have a direct connection with the Macross Mecha manual but the coding is definitely stolen from there ;)

frothymug : Thanks again man, be my guest if you feel like working on some 3D modeling but you may want to wait for a more consolidated look (which will come sooner than later)

grapetang : Thanks a lot for the support, I really need to find more time to work on the characters. Here's a Roy mug :

roy-w2.png

Mr March : I don't know if you have a direct connection with the Macross Mecha manual but the coding is definitely stolen from there ;)

Yeah, I'm the owner/operator of the site. If you were directly inspired by my color-coded transformation guides, I'm thrilled you've adapted it for your own creations. It's all I could hope for. Bravo!

Kicker : Oh I'd so love to see that! Actually I remember dreaming of having my own toy factory as a kid smile.gif

Mr March : amazing, your site is just amazing! Kudos to you for all the work and love you've put in it, definitely the ultimate online ressource for Macross lineart!

Here's more YFZ-21's battroid mode. I screwed on the shoulders because I wanted to make it more ninja-like, they should be much larger, as in the original sketch. There's also some thoughts on gimmicks, but nothing definitive or useful so far :

yfz-21-w.png

Edited by Frogze

• 2 months later...

I dont' know why but the legs remind me of Metal Siren from Macross II

Maybe it's the thinness or the overall shape, anyway I think I'll rework that battroid, the head especially seems boring to me now.

Here's a sketchy one I had fun with, It's a bit rushed because I wanted to get to the point without bothering too much with acurate shapes ans scales of the BG

Macross-battle-w.png

Edited by Frogze

Not sure how I missed that updated YFZ-21 Battroid. Looking awesome as usual. I want to add that I love the creative way you dealt with the arms for Gerwalk mode, having the shoulders change position like that.

The sketch may be quick and dirty, but it has a very nice sense of movement, flow, and immediacy. There is a liveliness about it that is sometimes lacking from more precise work. I like it!

I completely agree. Actually it reminds me of something that Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) might daydream about. The lines have that comic strip quality.

Edited by Raptor One

@PetarB : Thanks for watching and for the kind words! And kudos at your modelling skills (I may have a few questions for you next year as I'll be starting to work on a custom figure ;) )

@chillyche : I'm glad you like it, thanks! I was only focused on the idea of the action rather than the mechs and details, so it ended being very messy and jaggy especially from close, but the overall composition kind of works I think because it seemed OK if reduced to a thumbnail.

@Raptor One : Thanks a lot! I think people here have mentioned that Mr. K did the battroid first and made it turn into a fighter. I just couldn't, it had to be the other way around : fighter mode first and then I sliced it into limbs and tried to turn them into a humanoid shape (which is where the arms/shoulders placement came from). And it's the first time ever I get a comparison to Calvin and Hobbes but yeah I did love reading these strips so I must have picked something up from it :)

edit : just fixed a few links that were dead after accidentally suppressing a pic folder

Edited by Frogze

• 4 weeks later...