Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

It's really tough for me to tell (enhanced/zoomed the picture and everything). I can kinda make out the eyes, I guess. As long as it doesn't have that Autobot-mouth then it's good.

It does. Have you paid attention to the face? I think it's very clever.

post-12283-0-78494300-1350711526_thumb.jpg

I for one love it, it looks exactly like the face he suddenly had after getting doused with whale-blood under there-

MBpbt.jpg

Honestly I think it's a pretty good compromise given how much anime magic has to be in play to make that camera array into a super-robot face

Actually, (G1) Optimus did, or at least he did in the comics and the MP1 toy. It was just hidden behind the mouth plate.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed that there's a face molded behind the visor instead of making a swappable one for people who want the face. This seems to me kind of a half assed solution that wouldn't satisfy either side.

Does anyone have a scan of the Tenjin illustration of the Kai covered in whale pollen? Heard about it from Ren and yet I cannot find that im age anywhere online.

He did tons more illustrations for that limited second run of the Chronicle and none of them have appeared online. I hope they get greater exposure soon because they all look awesome.

Hold on, so the P is also pushed back to a Dec release? I though Oct was going to be expensive lol. I think in Dec I have the VF-4, VF-17D w/Super Parts, VF-171 Armored parts and the VF-19P. I feel like I am forgetting something....

Edited by Loop

Hold on, so the P is also pushed back to a Dec release? I though Oct was going to be expensive lol. I think in Dec I have the VF-4, VF-17D w/Super Parts, VF-171 Armored parts and the VF-19P. I feel like I am forgetting something....

Did they change the 171 Armor parts to December? I thought it was November? Holy poop, that's an EXPENSIVE month.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I look at it, the more I am rethinking my pre-order. I originally wanted to get it because I wanted a long winged 19, but I can't really get myself to like the color scheme even a little bit despite trying to convince myself otherwise.

I can't repaint it with another color scheme or even put a flat finish on it if I ever want to transform it unless I want to redo the nose section every time it's transformed to battroid. Perhaps I'll just drop the pre-order for this and get a 19F the next time it's on sale.

The 19F is beautiful, I might get a second one to complete Emerald Force. :p

This one used to be quite painful to the eyes, the new red color is a huge improvement really. I have to agree in general though, I still don't care for the overall scheme. If they had stuck with red and white without resorting to random yellow/tan/beige/whatever bits, it'd look like a tribute to Hikaru's 1J, but the random spots of other colors just looks weird. And I really still hope the shoulder speakers are easy to remove, because they're an eyesore to the design.

I still think that repaint idea from a few pages back would work though. Replacing all the red with black is a low risk option, since none of those areas are heavy on the wear and tear from transformation. I'll probably keep my first one unchanged (except the leg strakes.. I don't know what dingbat decided that particular panel should be red, but it looks hideous that way).

I really hope this version goes on heavy clearance sale, because I would love to buy a few. It's going to be the go-to version for customs, since even if we can't get some normal gray, at least white is an easy base to work from.

In fact, I'm picturing what this would look like in a Supernova style test scheme. :)

I think if anyone wants to do a custom with Yamato's VF-19 toys (that requires repainting the nose and also clear coats), they will need to modify the toy. What stopped me from doing any sort of customizations to my 19S was due to the way the chest part of the transformation works in battroid mode. The bottom of the chest has to scrape tightly against the upper sides of the nose cone as the plastic flexes around it in order to lock it down in place, undoubtedly scrapping paint off with it. Perhaps it would be possible to file down the plastic so it just fits over top. I haven't really examined it further so I can't say what sort of adverse effects that would have, aside from not being able to lock down the chest anymore, or if it was even feasible.

For me, any VF-19 I have will be the odd ones out in my collection since I've made it a habit to put my own touches on my valks.

Edited by MacrossJunkie