What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

And as expected Cowboy Bebop is getting it's North American BD release soon courtesy of Funimation. They also picked up a ton of former Bandai licenses like Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Code Geass and a personal favourite, the Crest/Banner of the Stars series.

Come on Funi, give us Turn a Gundam next!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-cowboy-bebop-escaflowne-outlaw-star-more

Thanks for the news! I almost caved on that fancy UK Bebop set. I hope Funimation gives its release as much panache.

I just finished Zegapain. I'm not going to lie, while most of the issues were a bit of a downer, overall this has to be one of the best anime I've ever seen, top 10 easy! Not only that, but I also dare to say that Zegapain Altair is, as of today, my new all time favorite anime mech, it is just plain friggin awesome.... Which now makes me sad a little that Aquarion does not hold that title. :( On the other hand, I could throw my favorite Aquarion mechs with my favorite variable fighters list (and toss in guymelefs too) and make it a "best of Satellite mecha" list. :lol: Anyway, I have to give the creators credit for a well orchestrated final battle, very thought provoking philosophy and mentally stimulating symbolism, exquisite visuals, and a very well constructed romance. Not even joking, it is very rare for me to find romance in an anime as something other than shoehorned and this did it extremely well. I also found it weird that they revealed Mao was gay since it wasn't so much as implied, but oh well. This could have made top 5 if the music and villains were better.

Overall, here is where I rank it among my top 25 of all time

1. 1001 Nights
2. Genesis of Aquarion /Wings of Betrayal and Glory
3. Gear Fighter Dendoh
4. Death Note
5. Fang of The Sun Dougram/Dougram Vs. Roundfacer

Zegapain
6. E.Y.E.S. of Mars
7. Shin Mazinger Z Impact! Z Chapter
8. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: The Lights in The Sky Are Stars
9. Brave of The Sun Fighbird
10. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny/Final Plus and Super Nova
11. Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion
12. Six God Combination God Mars
13. Brave Command Dagwon/The Boy With The Crystal Eyes
14. Steel Jeeg
15. The Ideon: Be Invoked
16. Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector
17. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Special Edition
18. MD Geist 2: Death Force
19. Gravion/Zwei
20. Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn
21. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
22. Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
23. The Vision of Escaflowne
24. Zoids
25. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann/Gekijouban Zenyasai Special: Viral's Sweet Dream

It is kind of weird since Dougram is my favorite anime mecha of the 20th century while Zegapain Altair is my favorite anime mecha of the 21st century. Despite all their faults they both make top ten. Both originate from Sunrise. Both have extremely few appearances in crossover titles like their popular counterparts. Both of them lose to fun, philosophy, and art by very little. Both of them have next to no fans at all. Both of them are essentially buried gems. Neither of their titular mecha are that powerful compared to other mecha in anime. With that I ask: Why? Why do I enjoy what I do? Why are they so high when so many that do so much so superior to them are inferior overall? So much of this going through my mind.

And yet I can never share this with much of anywhere else. :(

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I'm looking forward to My Hime and all its related work as I never got a chance to watch it back then.

You are missing nothing good; Otome is tolerable though. ;) Then again you seem to be a fan of ecchi so unlike me you might get legit entertainment from it.

I'm a little dissapointed they didn't pick up AIKa: Zero. I've been waitng quite a while for that.

Look on the bright side RL1, when someone does pick it up you can get excited for panty shots and alien tentacles to your hearts content. :lol:

Every few months or so I get the urge to watch amazing dog fights and battles of heat seekers in the middle east. Yes I am talking about the AREA 88 OVA series. The recent ADV dvd set has OVA 1+2 combined on the first disc and then Act 3 on the second disc. Great picture quality too. (I actually am watching the English dub just to check it out,not bad but not great either....hard not to go back to the Japanese.)

Every few months or so I get the urge to watch amazing dog fights and battles of heat seekers in the middle east. Yes I am talking about the AREA 88 OVA series. The recent ADV dvd set has OVA 1+2 combined on the first disc and then Act 3 on the second disc. Great picture quality too. (I actually am watching the English dub just to check it out,not bad but not great either....hard not to go back to the Japanese.)

I can't watch the English dub, since (in the original) Shin is voiced by Kaneto Shiozawa, who was probably my all-time favorite voice actor. But yes, great series!

Edited by Gubaba

Back when I was a kid and my family had a lot of Betamax tapes, I vaguely remembered having a copy of this old anime that I forgot the name of involving a huge spaceship, three guys with custom ships and weapons and a princess-like character rode around the galaxy. Unfortunately, I forgot about it once my Beta player broke down and got rid of all our tapes. Thanks to the Internet and on a whim, though, I was finally able to track down that anime as Starzinger, or Spaceketeers in the West. Knowing nothing beyond what I remembered from the video I had no idea Leiji Matsumoto actually created it, or at least the manga. I didn't know it's pretty much a sci-fi version of Journey to the West, but thinking back on it it explains why the male lead for some reason wore a golden circlet and when he wears his faceplate he somewhat looks like a monkey.

Also, it must be a good year for the series as an abridged dubbed version is coming out soon.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-10/shout-factory-adds-leiji-matsumoto-starzinger/spaceketeers

If you're patient, I've also found at least one group fansubbing the original.

So yeah yesterday I started watching the series version of Ninja Scroll aka why are there robots in medieval Japan; kind of cool so far although the music is bleh. I also watched Blade of The Phantom Master and it was kind of good, but it felt like two ovas thrown together with little in common.

Currently watching THE second season of Arakawa Under The Bridge. Still fun, and incrwdibly random.

A lot of people I know disliked, but I thought it's random humour and format were wonderful. Oh, and the BD sets that Aniplex released in North America are some of the best I've ever seen outside Japan.

A lot of people I know disliked, but I thought it's random humour and format were wonderful. Oh, and the BD sets that Aniplex released in North America are some of the best I've ever seen outside Japan.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I agree I think it works pretty well.

OMG!!!! The Oreimo 2 finale PV is up, and it's epic Between Kabuki and The Oreimo finale this weekend, I don't know if I can handle all the epic awesomeness.

Edited by Keith

18 hours to go (at least on Crunchy).

Simply amazing, I absolutely could not turn away for all three episodes, it was all THAT GOOD!!!

I know I said I thought there was no way it would happen, but oh my god, I don't even know what to say. Kuroneko's scream, Kyosuke's confession, Kuroneko's support during that confession, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED AFTER, and of course, the prophesized major Manami offensive.

- That action.

- That drama.

- Soooo many tears.

I'm really spent after that.

That freaking ending was soo melancholy, it hurts. Equal to, but totally different than the Tsubasa Tiger wrap up, this was handled so beautifully, I really applaud everyone involved. Monogatari series is still my fave right now, but this show really delivered on the making me feel for two people in an incredibly uncomfortable situation. I just wish this was a show that could be shared with more people, but for obvious reasons, that ain't gonna happen. But wow, just wow.

With that said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to imagine Kuroneko held to her word, and that she would still love and accept Kyosuke if exactly what happened, happened. I'll 'ship Kuroneko to my dying day, and I really hope there's a Kuroneko happy ending epilogue or omake included with the eventual bluray set, which I wish I could travel through time to own right now.

Well f^ck, I can't sleep high on this much epicness, think I'll go watch the new Monogatari ep.

Edit:

COULD YOU BELIEVE THAT MANAMI FIGHT, I MEAN DAMN, just DAMN

I don't smoke, but I think I need a freakin' cigarette.

Edited by Keith

Been on a bit of an anime kick the last few weeks. made it through:
- Gargantua on the Virtuous Planet (Loved it. Cant wait for the (I believe) OVA Follow up.)

- Bodacious Space Pirates (Also loved it. I hear there is a film coming out, I hope that's a follow up)

- A certain magical Index (Eh, it was Ok. I still want to see the sequel at some point)
- A Certain Scientific Railgun ( As above really, though i liked ti slightly better)
- Total Eclipse (I liked it, though it wasted a lot of episodes.)

Am now watching:

- Blast of Tempest (Which I'm finding a little slow)

- Saint Seiya Omega (I'm a big SS fan, so I want to like this but.... oof.)

- Fate Zero (Great show, having fun :) )

- BToom! (Which is kind fun and weird)

- Attack on Titan (Which is AMAZING)

Gave up on:
- AKB0048 (I made it half an episode before I wanted to die)

- Gatchaman Crowds (Wow, did this suck)

- Heroman (It was OK, but not worth continuing)

I'm all caught up on Monogatari now. Can't help but feel

that we'll be in for another sad story arc, this time likely ending in the circumstances that caused Mayoi's death.

Time to strap myself in for this wild ride now, damn I love this show.

Simply amazing, I absolutely could not turn away for all three episodes, it was all THAT GOOD!!!

I know I said I thought there was no way it would happen, but oh my god, I don't even know what to say. Kuroneko's scream, Kyosuke's confession, Kuroneko's support during that confession, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED AFTER, and of course, the prophesized major Manami offensive.

- That action.

- That drama.

- Soooo many tears.

I'm really spent after that.

That freaking ending was soo melancholy, it hurts. Equal to, but totally different than the Tsubasa Tiger wrap up, this was handled so beautifully, I really applaud everyone involved. Monogatari series is still my fave right now, but this show really delivered on the making me feel for two people in an incredibly uncomfortable situation. I just wish this was a show that could be shared with more people, but for obvious reasons, that ain't gonna happen. But wow, just wow.

With that said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to imagine Kuroneko held to her word, and that she would still love and accept Kyosuke if exactly what happened, happened. I'll 'ship Kuroneko to my dying day, and I really hope there's a Kuroneko happy ending epilogue or omake included with the eventual bluray set, which I wish I could travel through time to own right now.

Well f^ck, I can't sleep high on this much epicness, think I'll go watch the new Monogatari ep.

Edit:

COULD YOU BELIEVE THAT MANAMI FIGHT, I MEAN DAMN, just DAMN

I don't smoke, but I think I need a freakin' cigarette.

As I expected, they really did go the imouto route, but they handled it in a quite different and ultimately quite chaste manner. I wonder how much of that was the writers intention and how much was fear of some kind of censorship or ban.

DAT FIGHT! I never expected Manami to get that physical and actually PUNCH Kirino in the gut like that. And then the slap and the glasses! That was pretty brutal stuff.

But I think the most memorable moment of this 3 part ending will be Kuroneko's anguished scream of heartbreak. The most dramatic point of the series by far. I'm sure that if they decided to do a Clannad and release a couple of OVA's with different girl endings, the Kuroneko route would be immensely popular

I'm all caught up on Monogatari now. Can't help but feel

that we'll be in for another sad story arc, this time likely ending in the circumstances that caused Mayoi's death.

Time to strap myself in for this wild ride now, damn I love this show.

It looks like it's going to be a pretty interesting arc

Time travel, Shinobu and no Senjougahara or Hanekawa in sight.

As I expected, they really did go the imouto route, but they handled it in a quite different and ultimately quite chaste manner. I wonder how much of that was the writers intention and how much was fear of some kind of censorship or ban.

DAT FIGHT! I never expected Manami to get that physical and actually PUNCH Kirino in the gut like that. And then the slap and the glasses! That was pretty brutal stuff.

But I think the most memorable moment of this 3 part ending will be Kuroneko's anguished scream of heartbreak. The most dramatic point of the series by far. I'm sure that if they decided to do a Clannad and release a couple of OVA's with different girl endings, the Kuroneko route would be immensely popular

It looks like it's going to be a pretty interesting arc

Time travel, Shinobu and no Senjougahara or Hanekawa in sight.

Oreimo:

I don't think broadcast had much to do with the content of the last three episodes, since they're OVA's that are being streamed online before release, or rather, won't be broadcast on TV to begin with. And I've also just heard a rumor that the final BD will include a 10 years later extra, so I'm curious to see where that goes. I'll forever hold out hope for my happy Kuroneko ending.

Kabukimonogatari:

I love that this time travel arc began on little more than Shinobu wanting to show off. I'm just curious to see if a younger Oshino will pop up.

Edited by Keith

I needed some mecha in my system and despite the bad reviews, I picked up Majestic Prince and am up to episode 9. It's nowhere near as bad as the critics suggest. Yeah, the character designs are horrible and the plot is pretty generic, but it really picks up after episode 6, and there's some sweet battle scenes and hardware for the mecha minded.

I've started to watch Valvrave. It's very Gundam SEED-ey so far.

It has more in common with Zegapain. It is basically SEED setting + Code Geass writing + Zegapain characters.

I needed some mecha in my system

You know Marzan I could recommend you some stuff if you want.

Edit: Well I just finished the series version of Ninja Scroll. Despite junk like monster rape, weird stuff like severed heads being attached to dogs, monster incest, steam punk cyborgs, and the two clan heads having toddler bodies I thought this was pretty dang good, definitely better than the movie version. I also never thought I'd see a monster of the week series done RIGHT with a 13 episode series without being mecha related, but now I have been proven wrong and am satisfied. Also giving credit for episode 10's friendly monster Raiko, a fat yet sympathetic guy sounding like Bender (yes I watched the dubbed version of this) and had quite the dedication to his cause; he could have been a neat character if given enough screen time.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Hey has anyone seen the Eureka 7 sequel? Any good?

Not in my opinion.

They tried to be too smart with the story and ended up with a convoluted plot with some holes in it. I honestly think this would have been better if it had not been a sequel. Some characters are given no resolution or closure to their stories and are nothing more than plot devices. But the biggest difference with E7 IMHO, is that it simply lacks the heart (cannot really describe it any better) that the original series had.

But try it out if you can s. The production values, animation/designs are pretty decent and I've heard from others that they don't believe it's that bad.

Asuka uses "baka" more often than Kirino. "Kimoi" (creepy) is fit for her.

The picture looks a parody, but this one below is actually sold in Akiba; I saw it at Gamers and Tokyo Anime Center.

item23971_1.jpg

Edited by antibiotictab

Not in my opinion.

They tried to be too smart with the story and ended up with a convoluted plot with some holes in it. I honestly think this would have been better if it had not been a sequel. Some characters are given no resolution or closure to their stories and are nothing more than plot devices. But the biggest difference with E7 IMHO, is that it simply lacks the heart (cannot really describe it any better) that the original series had.

But try it out if you can s. The production values, animation/designs are pretty decent and I've heard from

others that they don't believe it's that bad.

I agree, it wouldnhave been a good show, if it hadn't pretended to be a sequel. But as it was, they completely ignored the set canon of the original series, its resolution, the behavior and motivation of the scub coral, the personalities of the charactes that did return, and kinda dances on theboriginal show in general. To put it another way, it's kind of like a cross between Macross II and Megazone 23 Part 3.

Asuka uses "baka" more often than Kirino. "Kimoi" (creepy) is fit for her.

The picture looks a parody, but this one below is actually sold in Akiba; I saw it at Gamers and Tokyo Anime Center.

item23971_1.jpg

Wow Meruru cereal, what an awkward cross promotion with the series in it's full context! In otgerbnews, I picked up my first, and pre-ordered my second, Kuroneko figure.

Hey has anyone seen the Eureka 7 sequel? Any good?

Better than the first: Better mecha, humans, plot, monsters, and all while maintaining the mood of the original. Also it has a sloth for a mascot. The US dub was recently released so if you like dubs it is available in that format. People complain about the first half being too monster of the week-ish, but I just pull out my steel-toed boots and kick them right in the junk until their vocal cords stop vibrating.

Edit: Finally got around to seeing the third Patlabor movie which actually was not half bad. I mean for a franchise in the crime genre there was *gasp* CRIME! And they treated it like DETECTIVES. LIKE ACTUAL POLICE. NOT LIKE NIMRODS. Even if Waste 13 (the murderer) turned out to be a giant lungfish mutant. Why couldn't Protector O-She make the ovas and first two movies more like THIS? I mean sure the pacing is slow in places and it could have had more mecha aspects, but this had potential! Maybe Patlabor is like Indiana Jones or Pumpkinhead or Watchers where it simply improves with every next installment.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

The last Monogatari Second Season episode was tons of fun

We get to see Hanekawa and Araragi as children and Araragi really makes one facepalm with his perverted antics. And him and Shinobu have obviously never heard of the Butterfly Effect