1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Yep, the Yetistands make it much easier (less dangerous lol) to get these kind of shots. :) Without them I'd be balancing on step stool to get the shot. :D

Imagining that conversation now, about having to explain how you broke your arm photographing expensive toys imported from Japan.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Imagining that conversation now, about having to explain how you broke your arm photographing expensive toys imported from Japan.

-b.

haha... Anything to get the shot... worst case scenario, broken arm, broken camera and broken Valk... :blink:

^ :lol:

YetiStand slogan. Everything made possible with YetiStand. lol.

Haha..

Wow, amazing pics everyone.

Saburo, killer as always. TCracker, really cool to see something different. No3ljm, lovely Kronos shots. MJ, that is such an awesome group shot - and +2 on your Flickr page being amazing.

On the downside, all these great photos are making me want to fiddle with my Yetistands and take more photos myself. So watch out for more pic spamming and apologies in advance ;)

Nice pics no3ljm! Love those Gerwalk poses!

Thanks wmkjr! I also realized that I forgot to change to Alto's white hands when I'm taking photos in Gerwalk mode. Love the white hands for Chronos. ^_^

Nice shots no3ljm!

Thanks Saburo! Coming from you, it's an honor. ;)

Wow, amazing pics everyone.

Saburo, killer as always. TCracker, really cool to see something different. No3ljm, lovely Kronos shots. MJ, that is such an awesome group shot - and +2 on your Flickr page being amazing.

On the downside, all these great photos are making me want to fiddle with my Yetistands and take more photos myself. So watch out for more pic spamming and apologies in advance ;)

Thanks Old Man! Looking forward on your photo spamming. :lol:

I was bored at home and going through my photo archives.

These awesome Valks are from Valkyrie Magnus' collection. Thank you again for letting me photograph them. :D

*snip*

Awesome! Beautiful work as always. Was thinking about doing something like that but you got it covered!

Edited by wmkjr

^Inside my head a chorus of "oohs and aahs" just started singing.

-b.

:D After their photo shoot they left and lived happily ever after.

Really nice! I really love them classic Valks!

Thank you, too bad they couldn't stay in my collection. :lol:

Awesome! Was thinking about doing something like that but you got it covered!

Thank you, I took these shots a few months ago and had forgotten about them, till I was going through my "To be sorted photos". There are quite a bit of photos I still need to sort through. :wacko:

Just saw those photos on Flickr last night, they are awesome. Thanks for adding them to my AAM group, BTW I just sent you two samples of the photo project I was working on to your e-mail.

Just saw those photos on Flickr last night, they are awesome. Thanks for adding them to my AAM group, BTW I just sent you two samples of the photo project I was working on to your e-mail.

I saw the samples you sent this morning and that is some amazing work you did on them. :D I'll send you a reply when I get home.

Man, I wish I had those. As always, great shots!

So did VM just bring over his entire collection one day for a shoot or was this done over time?

I had them... for a few hours... then they were taken back to their home. :(

VM and another friend brought over some of their collection (Macross and Gokin) VM brought over a few of most prized Valks, (his few Valks was equal to the amount of Valks in my collection). I was awesome to see Valks placed all over my living room, and a vast majority of them I will probably lucky to find any of them for sale. This was all done in a day, he said he'll bring over more when we can coordinate another photo day. I'll post more as sort through all of the pictures.

Thanks for taking the pics Saburo! I think I brought over all my 1/60 stuff so my 1/48's and 1/55's still need the Saburo treatment :) there are still a lot of photos not yet posted I think.

Ok, let me know when you want to bring the others over, I'd be happy to photograph them. I might have you bring over certain 1/60ths, I want to retake the photos of them.

And my offer still stands, you can leave some of them at my place if you are out of room. :lol:

Ok, let me know when you want to bring the others over, I'd be happy to photograph them. I might have you bring over certain 1/60ths, I want to retake the photos of them.

And my offer still stands, you can leave some of them at my place if you are out of room. :lol:

I might have to do that. All my shelves are full :)

Nice Photos Saburo!

Does everyone just leave their Valks naked? Doesn't people use the stickers?

Thanks!

As for myself I only have a few VF-1's and I'll leave them naked because I don't like the stick on decals. I do have the waterslides for the VF-1 Strike parts so I'll probably apply the circle skulls to the boosters.

Edited by Saburo

Nice Photos Saburo!

Nope, not anymore (not since the 1/60 v1 where new to market). I have exactly one Valkyrie with decals applied and it's because I bought it from someone who customized, weathered and applied them.

My Valks are stickered the eff up.

If I had the skill sets to use water-slide decals,and add weathering and protective coating so then I would. But since I have none of that, all my Valks are exactly as they are right out of the box.

-b.

If I had the skill sets to use water-slide decals,and add weathering and protective coating so then I would. But since I have none of that, all my Valks are exactly as they are right out of the box.

-b.

This ^ . Also, big shaky hands + clumsy = Fail for me.

-b.

All I do is trim and apply. No water-slide, weathering or coating.

I'm glad to hear some people applying the stickers. You don't have to go the whole nine yards, but just trimming and using the stickers adds a great deal to the toy. That's what really bugs me about the Yamacadias, they really could tampo print everything (especially at the prices they are asking for these days!)

I'm glad to hear some people applying the stickers. You don't have to go the whole nine yards, but just trimming and using the stickers adds a great deal to the toy. That's what really bugs me about the Yamacadias, they really could tampo print everything (especially at the prices they are asking for these days!)

Except the reason why I like the decals is because I don't want Yamato or Arcadia to decide how my Valk should look for me. My 17's are all done up Low Viz, the way I want them to be. If they had been tampoed there would have been only one place I'd be able to put the low viz UN Spacy markings and that would have been right over the red ones just behind the cockpit. And I didn't want the Spacy kites there at all,red or grey. I had the option to put them wherever I wanted, and I like that.

B))

:D

Good points, I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, you would think that Arcadia can and should add more print to releases and even with the YF-19 that was darn near naked it wasn't a huge deal breaker for me.

And then you have a really good point below for why it might be good that Arcadia/Yamato don't or didn't add more.

Guess it all comes down to personal preference balanced with real or perceived value for your money.

Except the reason why I like the decals is because I don't want Yamato or Arcadia to decide how my Valk should look for me. My 17's are all done up Low Viz, the way I want them to be. If they had been tampoed there would have been only one place I'd be able to put the low viz UN Spacy markings and that would have been right over the red ones just behind the cockpit. And I didn't want the Spacy kites there at all,red or grey. I had the option to put them wherever I wanted, and I like that.

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people feel that way, but also wouldn't be terribly opposed to having more print. I think it would all depend on the Valk and again, preferences.

-b.

I also only have one Valkyrie with decals applied. The rest are naked, except for the YF-19, which I applied the stickers for the intakes (which was the only missing detail that bothered me). I like the clean look right out of the box of the Yamato/Arcadia toys, and the option to add more detail if needed. So yeah I agree, it's all about personal preferences.

Nice Photos Saburo!

On each and every one. Although sometimes I take a while to get around to it

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's a lot of work, but a valk doesn't feel like it's truly mine until after doing some panel lining and stickering. And I'm not one for reselling so don't have to worry about that.

On each and every one. Although sometimes I take a while to get around to it

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's a lot of work, but a valk doesn't feel like it's truly mine until after doing some panel lining and stickering. And I'm not one for reselling so don't have to worry about that.

For most of the Valks I think they've done an okay job. I think it was the right call for the 17. The 19 was a bit sparse. The way they used to tampo the VF-1's was alright. They only left a lot of the smaller markings, no steps, and warning labels for you to do and I have no problem with that. I think the VF-0's really should be the same way as the VF-1's in that instance. However, the tampo on the VF-171's and the 30 by Bandai are just atrocious. The spacing/placing/size of the No Steps/etc... it's such an eye sore. I'd have preferred they just left them off. The 25/29 tampo was just right (much like the VF-1's by Yamato/Arcadia), the 171 and 30 are obnoxious. I suppose you could say the YF-19 was obnoxious in the opposite sense.

Edited by Mommar

Nice Photos Saburo!

I only applied stickers to my VF-17S because to me the Valkyrie is incomplete without the kites and the Diamond Force insignia (and the arrows on the Super Parts).

I don't like the stickers because they suck. I hate the excess transparent film around the stickers and that they are not opaque (I can still see the black though the decals on the Nightmare) and I hate to trim them because I can't get it done perfectly and every imperfection bugs the hell out of me because It doesn't meet the standard I have for myself.

I stickered up my RG Destiny Gundam (with all the stickers on the sheet) and flat coated it.... it looks passable from the distant but up close it looks horrendous. So it is ok for a 2000 Yen kit but not for a 25000 Yen collectible.

tl:dr

Stickers are horrible on collector oriented toys imho.

For most of the Valks I think they've done an okay job. I think it was the right call for the 17. The 19 was a bit sparse. The way they used to tampo the VF-1's was alright. They only left a lot of the smaller markings, no steps, and warning labels for you to do and I have no problem with that. I think the VF-0's really should be the same way as the VF-1's in that instance. However, the tampo on the VF-171's and the 30 by Bandai are just atrocious. The spacing/placing/size of the No Steps/etc... it's such an eye sore. I'd have preferred they just left them off. The 25/29 tampo was just right (much like the VF-1's by Yamato/Arcadia), the 171 and 30 are obnoxious. I suppose you could say the YF-19 was obnoxious in the opposite sense.

To be fair I've only owned VF-1's so far, which I agree have the right amount of tampo. Have a 19 on the way so we'll see how I feel about that one.

I've never had a problem with stickers in terms of looks. Once you trim the excess they blend pretty well with the tampo stuff. Then again, never had a black valk either.

Really the only thing that really annoys me aesthetically about the Yamacadias is the intake fans

Edited by Raptor One