1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Kind of OT and probably old news for anyone that owns an SV-51 but it's interesting to see how many of the design, or transformation elements of the 51 made it into the VF-27 (which looks like an evolution of the design) and the 171.

-b.

I think the similarity with the 171 with the nose folding under was more an accidental similarity given that the 171 is just a streamlined 17 and the longer nose had to go somewhere. Though the positioning and angle is still remarkably similar.

As far as similarites go with the 27, aside from having a Sukhoi Flanker styled long nose that all the designs based on the YF-24 share, the only other things I can really identify is the tridactyl feet and a set of upward pointing canards extending from the LERX. I guess if you want to include the wing nacelles being an integrated version of the wing boosters the SV-51 had, that would be another. I feel that the 27 (and 25 and 29) is really a mish mash of elements from a variety of prior VFs. It's like the 19 in that fuselage points up and the nose folds out of the way and the chest and head come over it. The 27 has an armored canopy and folding outer wings like the YF-21. The back of the hands are exposed with the fingers tucked away in fighter mode similar to the VF-0.

One thing I think is interesting about the SV-51 is that it doesn't have the reverse knee/chicken walker joint. The leg is actually just backwards in GERWALK and is using the normal knee joint it uses for battroid mode. The leg just turns around 180 for battroid mode. I think this is the only VF with a design like this, barring some obscure design I'm forgetting.

I think the similarity with the 171 with the nose folding under was more an accidental similarity given that the 171 is just a streamlined 17 and the longer nose had to go somewhere. Though the positioning and angle is still remarkably similar.

As far as similarites go with the 27, aside from having a Sukhoi Flanker styled long nose that all the designs based on the YF-24 share, the only other things I can really identify is the tridactyl feet and a set of upward pointing canards extending from the LERX. I guess if you want to include the wing nacelles being an integrated version of the wing boosters the SV-51 had, that would be another. I feel that the 27 (and 25 and 29) is really a mish mash of elements from a variety of prior VFs. It's like the 19 in that fuselage points up and the nose folds out of the way and the chest and head come over it. The 27 has an armored canopy and folding outer wings like the YF-21. The back of the hands are exposed with the fingers tucked away in fighter mode similar to the VF-0.

One thing I think is interesting about the SV-51 is that it doesn't have the reverse knee/chicken walker joint. The leg is actually just backwards in GERWALK and is using the normal knee joint it uses for battroid mode. The leg just turns around 180 for battroid mode. I think this is the only VF with a design like this, barring some obscure design I'm forgetting.

Hey, said more eloquently and with more details about the various design/design elements than I could have put it. Thank you. :)

-b.

Thanks! I agree with you guys. That particular shot came out well.

Here are a few more I meant to take but was too tired to set up at the time.

Yamato and Arcadia versions:

Yamato_Arcadia_YF-19.jpg

VF and YF-19s:

YF-19_VF-19.jpg

Isamu's valks:

Isamu_YF-19_YF-29_02.jpg

Isamu_YF-19_YF-29_01.jpg

Based on the "This Is Animation Special" cover (really wish I had some standing figs of Isamu, Myung, and Guld)

MacPlus_TIAS.jpg

Edit: Re-shot the TIAS pic. The port side vertical stabilizer was crooked and it was driving me nuts.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Based on the "This Is Animation Special" cover (really wish I had some standing figs of Isamu, Myung, and Guld)

Amazing shots MJ, I have always like seeing photos with the weapon loadouts on displayed with the aircraft.

Edited by Saburo

Damn MJ after seening your photos I am amazed with the work you put in your photos, still working on the editing of mine. Plus I am contiplating on if I should get a new 19 hoping I get one with a corrected nose joint, which is why I haven't decaled mine yet.

Damn MJ after seening your photos I am amazed with the work you put in your photos, still working on the editing of mine. Plus I am contiplating on if I should get a new 19 hoping I get one with a corrected nose joint, which is why I haven't decaled mine yet.

What happened to the nose joint on yours and are you considering getting the Bandai VF-19 Advanced instead?

Here's my YF-29 Ozma custom. I was going to redo the canopy and fold crystals with a different paint, but my airbrush head somehow sheared off with a piece still stuck in the main body while I was disassembling it for cleaning and Badger has not responded to my email sent almost a week ago. So I decided to keep it as is for now.

Using smaller thumbnails again due to number of pics. Click to get larger image.

Fighter:

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_01.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_02.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_03.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_04.jpg

Fighter with super pack:

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_01.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_02.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_03.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_04.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_05.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_Fighter_06.jpg

GERWALK:

YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_01.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_02.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_03.jpg

Super GERWALK:

Super_YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_01.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_02.jpg

Super_YF-29_Ozma_GERWALK_03.jpg

Battroid:

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_01.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_02.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_03.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_04.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_05.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_06.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_07.jpg

YF-29_Ozma_Battroid_08.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Simply jaw droppingly amazing yet again MJ!!!

I never knew I wanted a YF-29 Ozma... damn you!!! My daughter won't have boots this winter and I'll tell her its because of you :p