Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Holy ... I've been building this one like 3 times and everytime it ended up really bad, followed by a nice flight into the trashcan or having fun with fireworks :D

Progress has been painfully slow, because I just can't get motivated to work on this piece of junk. It's gonna need so much finishing work I don't even know if I want to attempt it.

Yep, now's a good time if you own Disney stocks ^_^ My son's eyballing the new SW lego kits and surprised at the costs. He understands why the "smaller" SW kits cost more than the larger Ninjago or whatever kits in comparrison. That kit looked cool built up on the HLJ channel. I've only seen one episode and that was in it. - MT

I wonder...

What if, in protest over Disney's high prices on the kits, no one goes to see the new movie for the first week it is out?

Would they get the message?

In this massive consumeristic society with all that marketing hype it ain't going to happen...

So my boss/friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, and who believes money can buy everything.... picked this up online to put up in his media room. He's not a modeler, so he wants to pay me to paint/weather and light the engines up with blue LED tape, it so it looks like my 1:72 Finemolds kit....which I told him it never really will. They really did a pretty good job on the toy straight out of the box except for two major oversights. Number one being the cockpit glass is just grey plastic and the gun turret windows are grey plastic is as well, there are pre cut black stickers for those. However the biggest omission is the detail on the sidewalls. 3D looking stickers were included for that. It's like someone had a budget meeting and said they were over budget and no one would pay $20 more bucks if they had to mold the rest of the details on the sidewalks. BOOO!!! Other than that it's pretty darn cool. So today I started out by trying to get the thing primered. We'll see how this goes...

post-11393-0-07452700-1442764596_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-40760500-1442764616_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-22667400-1442764633_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-45523100-1442764703_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-82949200-1442764722_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-93241200-1442764741_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-47071900-1442764759_thumb.jpeg

post-11393-0-04272700-1442765135_thumb.jpeg

Edited by derex3592

Well, with PacRim 2 going down... I find myself with some unexpected extra time on my hands!

I finally got back to my disaster a few years ago when I thought the Alclad black undercoat was Lacquer as it says on the bottle, but in fact it was an enamel and the oil wash I did on top ate into the undercoat causing a big mess.

I ended up buying another kit and re-building it. This has to be a cursed kit, so many things went wrong but I finally dug it up and finished it last week. At least its in a presentable stage. I used so many different Alclad metalizer colours to differentiate the panels, but in the end it only looks like 2-3 shades (a lot of effort for naught). I also used a clear Tamiya red for the forward section with a metalizer undercoat and I love the way it gives the red so much more depth. I must commend Bandai for such a intricate and detailed tiny model, it really does the Cosmo Zero justice!

I'm going onto a pair of Tie fighters and Darth's Advanced Tie from Fine Molds next - caught the Star Wars fever, plus its been a while since I built anything, they're small and easy and hopefully will train my skills back a bit in preparation for the newer Bandai Star Wars kits.

post-244-0-88674600-1442854105_thumb.jpg

That's cool Derex. May the force be with your build! No, that sounds too nerdy.

Wm Cheng, The yellow came our brilliant, like a chrome yellow. The front end looks great too. Like a candy-apple red car finish (minus the metal flakes). - MT

A dawn dishwashing soapy bath....It just cleans off any grease or dirt before I lay down primer. Usually I do model parts in the sink, but this required something a bit bigger!

ahhh ok cool! makes sense.. I'd imagine there would be some left over dirt and grease from the molds and handling before packaging..

This is where I am so far.. My rendition of 1:144 DYRL Macross mecha, characters and vessels... Already 3 days painting and don't quite remember the hours gluing, puttiyng, sanding, and whatever. I started them in July..

Still in process.. It's going to be a while.. A long while...

post-104-0-57936700-1443148629_thumb.jpg

Edited by 007-vf1

Dude, Tomytec just announced 1/144 valks... kiss your wallet goodbye... http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43003

I know man I was just reading that.. Exciting news to me...!

Let's hope the sculpts and series are well worth it; but I know something like this in 1/72 or 1/60 in the end would cost $1000's...

By the way I am already working on the Lancer...

Today I have successfully taken apart this beast to make it "easier" to paint. I also found a great contact on the RPF forums that did this exact custom project and made his own sidewall cast resin sidewall parts. He sells sets of them for it for $65 bucks a set and they look great! I ordered a set, should be here in about a week. Dangerous place the RPF...LOL...puts bad ideas in one's head. Hit it with white primer so I could see what I need to sand and fix with putty..honestly not much!

post-11393-0-58052000-1443306285_thumb.jpeg

Well, with PacRim 2 going down... I find myself with some unexpected extra time on my hands!

I finally got back to my disaster a few years ago when I thought the Alclad black undercoat was Lacquer as it says on the bottle, but in fact it was an enamel and the oil wash I did on top ate into the undercoat causing a big mess.

I ended up buying another kit and re-building it. This has to be a cursed kit, so many things went wrong but I finally dug it up and finished it last week. At least its in a presentable stage. I used so many different Alclad metalizer colours to differentiate the panels, but in the end it only looks like 2-3 shades (a lot of effort for naught). I also used a clear Tamiya red for the forward section with a metalizer undercoat and I love the way it gives the red so much more depth. I must commend Bandai for such a intricate and detailed tiny model, it really does the Cosmo Zero justice!

I'm going onto a pair of Tie fighters and Darth's Advanced Tie from Fine Molds next - caught the Star Wars fever, plus its been a while since I built anything, they're small and easy and hopefully will train my skills back a bit in preparation for the newer Bandai Star Wars kits.

IMG_2657.JPG

Damn William, that looks AMAZING! Can you describe how you did the red section and so forth. Embarrassingly, I'm not familiar with metalizers or how to use them.

Chris

Finally working on my 1/72 vf4 hobbyexpro, after many years in the shelf of doom.

It has the most ugly plastic canopy you can imagine, so I'm sculpting a new one, it's done, just need to cast it in plastic resin.

Im planning on retool my canopy in the future to make one with crystal clear resin, very high quality and clear as water, but expensive, if someone have this kit and wish a good quality clear canopy for this bird, I will need several requests/orders to justify to buy the materials needed and the time sculpting and tooling it. This is the actual progress.

post-4493-0-84318400-1443696463_thumb.jpg

post-4493-0-40656700-1443697024_thumb.jpg