Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

finished product. Great little kit for beginners. Not a drop of glue. Don't even have to paint it if you didn't want to. Only drawback is the black and grey molded together wing parts which make it a pain for serious modelers. Overall another great little kit from Bandai's new Star Wars line.

post-11393-0-59184100-1438274845_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-73137500-1438274861_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-87085900-1438274877_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-40750200-1438274896_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-71965200-1438274911_thumb.jpg

Thanks GU-11, it's actually pretty small, I've had the GIANT metal Code 3 Vader Tie for years, which I figure is about 1:32 scale give or take, so it's nice to have a smaller one as well.

Galaxy Stranger, I picked up the SDF-1 off Evilbay a year or so ago after getting shafted out of my money for one off a TFers forum. I actually had the kit as a kid in the 80's and it..well...saw a lot of wars with the Zentradi. I always wanted to build one now that I (sort of) know what I'm doing. I built the first one while on spring break at my grandparents house, so it was pretty horrible.

So far it's two votes for the scout pod! which was honestly the way I was kinda leaning anyways...I foresee lots of putty and sanding in my future...LOL?

Alrighty then, y'all talked me into it. Scout pod it is! Started on some basic sub assemblies this afternoon. Upper right hand side of pic.

Awesome. I am currently also working on these as well.... Fits perfectly with the other 1/144 scale scoundrels...

Nice work Derex on the TIE. The green blasts are cool looking. If I didn't have my head burried in school work, I'd have voted for the SDF-1. It looks just like my beat up box too! Can't argue though for $49! The scout pod is STILL cool - love the classics. - MT

Interesting, now there are several of us who are working on a regult, I am working on 2 regults, a regular regult Bandai 1/72, and another bandai that I am scratch modifiying into a SCOUT, sadly, I will be working out of the city for 4 months and will stop all my model making, but I will watch yours guys.

finished product. Great little kit for beginners. Not a drop of glue. Don't even have to paint it if you didn't want to. Only drawback is the black and grey molded together wing parts which make it a pain for serious modelers. Overall another great little kit from Bandai's new Star Wars line.

haha! sounds just like my kind of model kit! :p:lol:

Looks really good! Nice work! B))

Well, crap. Now I really need to find that pasche airbrush of dad's, get a longer hose and a couple water traps so I can run my compressor (I have a husky from Lowe's with a pretty sizeable tank, hence the water traps and long hose...).

Sitting on my workbench right now are several boxes of Warhammer 40K models. I have no other models to paint right now...

Yeah you'd be surprised how much water is still in there after one pass. When using a compressor for sand or soda blasting it is common to use two traps,to get as much out as possible.

That moment when you just successfully cut off all the tiny delicate pointy parts off the sprue and then knock over your bottle of Ambroid Pro-weld right onto all said tiny parts on your work pad at which point instantly starts melting the s*itty 30 year old plastic and bonding it to your work pad. Yeh. Well, I thought there was perhaps a hope in hell for this kit....now....it won't be as pretty as it might have been.

Well, it wasn't toooo bad. Two little parts took the brunt. Luckily it missed the larger primered parts. I got most of the little stuff unstuck in time with only minor ...melting..LOL. Anyways, I was trying to fix one of the tiny delicate laser canons or antennas that are on each side of the pod. 3 of the 4 were already snapped on the sprue out of the box, so I was using ProWeld to try and save them as I took them off the sprue.

Anybody got any ideas on how to go about sanding or cutting off the tiny sprue nubs thst are left on the tiny laser cannon parts? I don't dare try to Xacto them off, I know they will snap. I tried a Tamiya sanding stick on a larger one and almost snapped it as well. The plastic is just so old and brittle..I'm kinda at a loss on how to clean up the parts. HELP!

You need more than one trap?

Yeah you'd be surprised how much water is still in there after one pass. When using a compressor for sand or soda blasting it is common to use two traps,to get as much out as possible.

The long hose helps too. Especially since I'll be using the coil hose too.

That moment when you just successfully cut off all the tiny delicate pointy parts off the sprue and then knock over your bottle of Ambroid Pro-weld right onto all said tiny parts on your work pad at which point instantly starts melting the s*itty 30 year old plastic and bonding it to your work pad. Yeh. Well, I thought there was perhaps a hope in hell for this kit....now....it won't be as pretty as it might have been.

Battle damage..Dimensional Fold gone bad... Protodeviln fart destruction... There's always a way to apply a personal, liberal interpretation of the events ;) , so finish that kit..

I wouldn't cut the spruce piece at once with an exacto blade. Do you know the tecnique to cut brass or copper tubing while rolling the tube and pressing it evenly with the xacto? It could be worth trying to roll the cannon the same way..

post-104-0-28912300-1439347305_thumb.jpg

Where I am so far with my regults. Yes; 5 of them, plus the Glaug.. Preshading and base coat....

But now I am thinking on making it a different shade; more in the realm of the greenish DYRL.

I have been looking for bigger and better pictures of this regult I found pictures of a while back on the web.

post-104-0-36917200-1439347857.jpg

Edited by 007-vf1

That sucks Derex. Like 007-VF1 said, battledamage is what came to my mind too. If the plastic is that bad, make new barrels. If you got a Dremmel or drill you can "lathe" one out with a sanding stick or file. If the barrels are good you have, that's the other way, carefully remove the tabs with a sanding stick. Just my two cents... - MT

sorry 007-vf1... can't find it, stupid facebook search. I know I had that on my drive, but that one crashed last year. Lost all kinds of good stuff.

No problem Exo. I appreciate the gesture...