Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Started from a hand drawn map imported into Wonderdraft, then moved to GIMP for wording and art. There are a lot of downloadable 'brushes' for this stuff.

Pretty cool.  I always loved my fold-out map of Middle Earth that came with the novel back in the 80s. I spent more hours reading it than any real world map.

I believe, if I remember correctly,  Tolkien drew the original map by hand.

Started getting some parts on the regult together and putting some panel lining in the lighter panel lines as a guide for scribing. Some lines are deeper and some are very shallow. Hasegawa seems a bit inconsistent, but I think I can manage and if I mess up a bit there’s always putty.

also been glueing some parts that been seams removed and will probably drill out the plastic domes where the clear parts should go. Still don’t know why they couldn’t have left those open since there’s so much open space inside and they included the clear parts. Luckily I don’t think it will be too difficult of a fix

44424ED0-E51E-444C-96B0-71895CC24D80.jpeg

10 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, I couldn't resist. But I only had 10 minutes, so please don't kill me Thom:724558749_ThomsMap.jpg.e0fc5518fdb2deb069b64a807dde7d43.jpg

No killing required! You did better than I did.

This is what I tried first in Wonderdraft. Just doesn't feel right though. Still have to work on it.

ukQbNso.jpg

6 hours ago, Thom said:

No killing required! You did better than I did.

This is what I tried first in Wonderdraft. Just doesn't feel right though. Still have to work on it.

ukQbNso.jpg

Hey, that's not bad at all Thom! I use Photoshop, so it's a bit of a different beast, if you will.

It took me nearly forever just to get Alpha Centauri IV done up:

835871518_StarfleetFileAlphaCentauriIVFinal.jpg.07b81ca453a4ae0aa0c07d781f44fedb.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

13 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Thanks! That reminds me: I should do one of yours as a globe (unless it's supposed to be flat!). :D

Then I have to think about the turtle and the elephants... No. round is simple enough. (You'd think!)

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Hey @Big s looking forward to seeing your build progress on that baby . Very interested. 

@Thom nice work, sorry if i missed it earlier , is your world building for an rpg or something else? 

The build is gonna take a bit of time. Lots of seams and some drilling and stuff. If I can clear some space the paint shouldn’t take too long. For the most part it will only be 3 colors, light blue, dark gray and off white. There’s gonna be some things I’m not exactly experienced with, like the rescribing of the panels and setting those clear parts, but I’m gonna do my best and so far things are going alright 

6 hours ago, Thom said:

@Bolt It's for a fantasy story that I've been writing for years. Seems to be in constant rewrite...🙃 I'm hoping, having finished up the map, that it may kick up the writing mojo.

I know how that feels! You write something out and it seems good, then you revisit it some time later; ideas that seemed to work before don't gel as well, while you have all-new ideas that crop up while picking up where you left off.

(I have a graphic novel that I started drawing in 2011, and I'm currently only at page 46 as of last night in drawing it!)

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Thom, I hope that you can get that creativity rolling and something really great comes from it and someone eventually makes a terrible movie adaptation that people will say “the book was better”

Ahh, the Paolini-effect. Fame is fame, I guess...

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I know how that feels! You write something out and it seems good, then you revisit it some time later; ideas that seemed to work before don't gel as well, while you have all-new ideas that crop up while picking up where you left off.

(I have a graphic novel that I started drawing in 2011, and I'm currently only at page 46 as of last night in drawing it!)

That, exactly!! Why couldn't I have had the ideas I have now, back when I first wrote it!?!?:unknw:

11 hours ago, Thom said:

@Bolt It's for a fantasy story that I've been writing for years. Seems to be in constant rewrite...🙃 I'm hoping, having finished up the map, that it may kick up the writing mojo.

Writing's not easy.  There's the J.K. Rawlings approach of writing the last chapter first, and then mapping things out to the start of the story.  Or there's the Steven King approach of setting events in motion and letting the writing dictate where the story ends up.

Speaking of King, have you read any of his advice on writing?  The one that's on my mind the most right now is: the second draft is the first draft -10%.

As for kicking up the writing mojo, try Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling: https://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/07/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling/

For fun, see how many movies come to mind for each 'rule'. ;)

5 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Writing's not easy.  There's the J.K. Rawlings approach of writing the last chapter first, and then mapping things out to the start of the story.  Or there's the Steven King approach of setting events in motion and letting the writing dictate where the story ends up.

Speaking of King, have you read any of his advice on writing?  The one that's on my mind the most right now is: the second draft is the first draft -10%.

As for kicking up the writing mojo, try Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling: https://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/07/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling/

For fun, see how many movies come to mind for each 'rule'. ;)

Thanks!

This seems about right...

#3 - Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.

Hasagawa Regult has landed. Taking a look at the parts trees this morning....word of the day???.. BACKGATES PEOPLE! EVERY single part that needs to be, is. Very nice touch. I approve. This should be a fun build eventually and not hard at all. Maybe not Bandai level easy, but light-years ahead of the old kits. If Hasagawa do more enemy mech, I'll bite for sure! 

20220306_063002.jpg

Honestly, some of the undergating gets in the way. Like the nub on some parts will be right next to a peg. But overall the plastic is softer than Bandai, so they do clean up fairly easy for such wide gates. I’ve gotten spoiled by Bandai lately with the super thin gates

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Hasagawa Regult has landed. Taking a look at the parts trees this morning....word of the day???.. BACKGATES PEOPLE! EVERY single part that needs to be, is. Very nice touch. I approve. This should be a fun build eventually and not hard at all. Maybe not Bandai level easy, but light-years ahead of the old kits. If Hasagawa do more enemy mech, I'll bite for sure! 

20220306_063002.jpg

I wonder how that kit would compare to my scratch-built Regult; probably put it to shame!!

UPDATE:

Not much to report: still waiting on parts and materials (grrr...), but such is life. I did some refinement work to the booms as far as shaping them overall:

101_0140.JPG.b8bdc5ad66cd099f0bca6a83e88243a7.JPG 101_0142.JPG.a718f2ed41b6fe277243b4b42fffbf8f.JPG

Lacking materials to fine-detail them at the moment (plastic welder specifically), as well as mounting hardware.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On that note, I'd like to do a PSA for the folks here:

Be careful where you purchase your adhesives!!!

In particular, epoxies and 2-part adhesives can be fairly perishable,  and have a limited shelf-life (6-7 months in some cases). Some stores will simply leave older product on their pegs/ shelves, not realizing that over time, these dry out and congeal into uselessness. Recently, I ordered two packs of plastic welder via an automotive store; I usually get mine at Advance Auto, but the place I bought these at had given me a 5 dollar off coupon for my birthday.

(Yes: the pengbuzz is getting old, folks!!  How am I holding up?: with a cane.)

So after ordering these items, I discovered they were dried up and now have to return them. Their online FAQ states: "items must be unopened for return". Yeah, tell me how that works if it's an adhesive that I can't use! And I really don't want "replacements", as their remaining stock is most likely just as bad!

Anyways, when I get my money back, I'm just going to get one tube at my normal source, and never trust the other place again.

So when purchasing adhesives, check the dates on them if you can! If not (or they won't let you), DON'T BUY IT!!!

On to the rest of my post....

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the booms look okay, they just have a bit of trouble meeting up in the middle: I may have to go back and revise them a bit:

101_0143.JPG.560f345458d37ecea09648d1faca736d.JPG

And of course, the SDF-1 doing its' rendition of Aerosmith's Walk This Way:

101_0144.JPG.07eaf838f3baae8fc47a595501c197a9.JPG

Stay tuned, folks...

10 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE:

Not much to report: still waiting on parts and materials (grrr...), but such is life. I did some refinement work to the booms as far as shaping them overall:

101_0140.JPG.b8bdc5ad66cd099f0bca6a83e88243a7.JPG 101_0142.JPG.a718f2ed41b6fe277243b4b42fffbf8f.JPG

Lacking materials to fine-detail them at the moment (plastic welder specifically), as well as mounting hardware.

On that note, I'd like to do a PSA for the folks here:

Be careful where you purchase your adhesives!!!

In particular, epoxies and 2-part adhesives can be fairly perishable,  and have a limited shelf-life (6-7 months in some cases). Some stores will simply leave older product on their pegs/ shelves, not realizing that over time, these dry out and congeal into uselessness. Recently, I ordered two packs of plastic welder via an automotive store; I usually get mine at Advance Auto, but the place I bought these at had given me a 5 dollar off coupon for my birthday.

(Yes: the pengbuzz is getting old, folks!!  How am I holding up?: with a cane.)

So after ordering these items, I discovered they were dried up and now have to return them. Their online FAQ states: "items must be unopened for return". Yeah, tell me how that works if it's an adhesive that I can't use! And I really don't want "replacements", as their remaining stock is most likely just as bad!

Anyways, when I get my money back, I'm just going to get one tube at my normal source, and never trust the other place again.

So when purchasing adhesives, check the dates on them if you can! If not (or they won't let you), DON'T BUY IT!!!

On to the rest of my post....

So the booms look okay, they just have a bit of trouble meeting up in the middle: I may have to go back and revise them a bit:

101_0143.JPG.560f345458d37ecea09648d1faca736d.JPG

And of course, the SDF-1 doing its' rendition of Aerosmith's Walk This Way:

101_0144.JPG.07eaf838f3baae8fc47a595501c197a9.JPG

Stay tuned, folks...

Are you at the point where you can test how well the new booms hold up in cruiser mode, or is it still too early in the process?

I know getting the booms NOT to flop was a bit of a challenge, when I did my mods.

19 minutes ago, Mog said:

Are you at the point where you can test how well the new booms hold up in cruiser mode, or is it still too early in the process?

I know getting the booms NOT to flop was a bit of a challenge, when I did my mods.

Not just yet; waiting on materials to construct the main pins for the 1st stage hinge.

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Is it just me or can anyone else just NOT help seeing the head shrinking scene in Beetlejuice when you look at this???.....:rofl:

Zippy the pinhead! That reminds me: I need to get some work done on my SDF-1 bridge. I got the bubble carved out, but need to get a tiny bridge setup built inside. That needs to wait for the time being though until other parts are fixed.