Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

I didn't listen to the little voice inside my head that TOLD me to chop up the large trapezoid shaped decals for each wing. As in cut the 4 separate little black lines off and avoid aaallll the giant blank space of nothing in the middle. Now the reason I did this is because after watching every build on YouTube of this kit, no one seemed to have any problems, and believing the hype that these were great decals, I blazed ahead.  Well...yeh, I did have problems.  Nothing that can't be cleaned up with a little fine airbrushing, just really annoying. Either A: these don't really react well to Micro- Sol OR B: my clearcoat (Tamiya rattle can) wasn't good in some areas OR C - the EVER TERRIBLE Tamiya Panel line accent color left something on the surface I couldn't see before the decals went down. 

28 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I didn't listen to the little voice inside my head that TOLD me to chop up the large trapezoid shaped decals for each wing. As in cut the 4 separate little black lines off and avoid aaallll the giant blank space of nothing in the middle. Now the reason I did this is because after watching every build on YouTube of this kit, no one seemed to have any problems, and believing the hype that these were great decals, I blazed ahead.  Well...yeh, I did have problems.  Nothing that can't be cleaned up with a little fine airbrushing, just really annoying. Either A: these don't really react well to Micro- Sol OR B: my clearcoat (Tamiya rattle can) wasn't good in some areas OR C - the EVER TERRIBLE Tamiya Panel line accent color left something on the surface I couldn't see before the decals went down. 

I haven’t used them personally, but from complaints I’ve heard is that they’re a bit thinner and could cause some issues while laying them down. I hear that they can actually dissolve if not top coated, not sure what the proper way is when certain paints are applied. I’ve heard that they take a lot more care when laying them down because a film can rip the actual decal. 

Just now, derex3592 said:

@Big s - YES! That's exactly what kind of happened on those two big ones, it seems like a few spots on the middle clear part of the film actually partially DESOLVED after I put it down and put Micro Sol on it! I was like WTF?!

I've done a LOOOOT of waterslide decals over the years, and if I screw up it's usually on me, but I'm not taking the blame for this one! 

6 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I've done a LOOOOT of waterslide decals over the years, and if I screw up it's usually on me, but I'm not taking the blame for this one! 

I’ve seen more than a few complaints about them and warnings from those that did the when these first appeared. It sounds like a great concept to have decals that don’t have an edge, but from my understanding things can easily go wrong and some have said it’s just easier using standard decals and then doing the usual to make the edges disappear 

She's almost there @SpacePirateNeko! A little tape and a little paint and all done.:good:

And though this is not a model, I bought the Star Wars Micro Galaxy N-1. Eight inches long from the muzzles to the tip of the tail, it looks to be almost right on 1/72 and has some really nice detail. It includes Djin and Grogu, though Grogu is not removable, set in his high chair under the dome. Djin has a removable jet pack and can be sat in the cockpit. The only draw back is that, since it is a toy, there are screw holes on the bottom as well as trademark info stamped into the plastic. It does have gear too, though they almost disappear when retracted.

w4DHh65.jpg

BMbwDBu.jpg

ZdMGvok.jpg

RHXfUi3.jpg

Ef9HWQ3.jpg

f6043WO.jpg

Though it is a toy, I see it as a nice alternative to the new Revell 1/24, with the added bonus that it can sit comfortably beside the 1/72 Bandai range.

Thom

5 hours ago, Thom said:

She's almost there @SpacePirateNeko! A little tape and a little paint and all done.:good:

And though this is not a model, I bought the Star Wars Micro Galaxy N-1. Eight inches long from the muzzles to the tip of the tail, it looks to be almost right on 1/72 and has some really nice detail. It includes Djin and Grogu, though Grogu is not removable, set in his high chair under the dome. Djin has a removable jet pack and can be sat in the cockpit. The only draw back is that, since it is a toy, there are screw holes on the bottom as well as trademark info stamped into the plastic. It does have gear too, though they almost disappear when retracted.

w4DHh65.jpg

BMbwDBu.jpg

ZdMGvok.jpg

RHXfUi3.jpg

Ef9HWQ3.jpg

f6043WO.jpg

Though it is a toy, I see it as a nice alternative to the new Revell 1/24, with the added bonus that it can sit comfortably beside the 1/72 Bandai range.

Thom

Do you post in the starship modeller group on FB as well? I remember seeing a similar build there.

9 hours ago, Thom said:

Thom

I'd actually be curious to measure that compared to the original Episode I kit I have, because that looks much closer to 1/48.  The pilots obviously are those little figures, which are probably a weird scale, but it's a really tiny ship.  The original kit was an incredibly disappointing size, and the price was astronomical for the time.

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd actually be curious to measure that compared to the original Episode I kit I have, because that looks much closer to 1/48.  The pilots obviously are those little figures, which are probably a weird scale, but it's a really tiny ship.  The original kit was an incredibly disappointing size, and the price was astronomical for the time.

Forgive the blurriness of the image. I do have an unbuilt AMT kit, so I unboxed it for a comparison shot. So, maybe a little larger than 1/72...

1Pt8Ntd.jpg

Interesting.  It's certainly more detailed than that old kit, at least. :lol:  Maybe falls somewhere in the ~1/60 range.

Would love to get a new version of that kit at about 1/32 without the chrome though.  Looks really shiny when you snap it together, but means you're not doing any finishing work on it. <_< 

Was doing a little paint testing on the figure that came with one of my Obsolete kits IMG_2323.jpeg.6531e2bf3e711f03560caa0f1cd20e8e.jpegStarted with just grey primer and then did a light brush with white and a dark brown panel liner. Then tried out some army painter speed paints over that. It’s a bit rough at the moment, I’ll blend the colors better after I figure out some better choices and do the eyes as well. I totally f..ked up with my choices of colorIMG_2325.jpeg.133480dcd07e55a817dd3a492e398f83.jpegI accidentally made her into Lion OIMG_2326.jpeg.f2e66cddeaf4110e23433e944c405025.jpeg

So here's the 1/144 Academy Bone 🍖.. LOL. Bottom...perfect in my eyes. Top.... Well the wing walkway decal film was funky or something reacted bad with it.. So I tried to fix that then I tried to fix the fix and made it kinda ok....Then the flat coat made it more noticeable. Not sure what else to do at this point. Might just call it done... 🤔 🙄 Great kit! Just beware the decals! 

20231214_064223.jpg

20231214_064326.jpg

Edited by derex3592

@derex3592 BEAUTIFUL Bone! I don't see the decal flaws!? Looks cool fully loaded as well! That DOES look like a nice kit.

@Big s Lion O🤣! That's funny! You can still paint her. Those dark shadows will mellow out with highlighting paint over it. The eyes are the difficult part! - MT

Edited by MechTech

5 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@Big s Lion O🤣! That's funny! You can still paint her. Those dark shadows will mellow out with highlighting paint over it. The eyes are the difficult part! - MT

Everything is still in the early stages, I just didn’t end up liking the outfit colors after that. Might change to green pants and or purple shirt. The eyes are pretty easy to do as well since the panel liner helps outline the area. Things look far rougher in the pictures due to magnification. She’s a 1/35 figure and will look a bit smoother as I go.

8 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Beautiful work as always @derex3592.  How long is it at 1/144 scale?  Does it come with a stand?

Thanks guys! I see the flaws to easily, I guess. I'm my own worst critic!  @wm cheng - 13 inches long from nose to tail. no stand included OR pilot figs..Boooo. Gonna knock up a cheap basic wood stand this weekend and just stick in on a painted brass rod. 

39 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Thanks guys! I see the flaws to easily, I guess. I'm my own worst critic!  @wm cheng - 13 inches long from nose to tail. no stand included OR pilot figs..Boooo. Gonna knock up a cheap basic wood stand this weekend and just stick in on a painted brass rod. 

I think we all do bro; it's part of being an artist and modelbuilder. :)

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

That's a great size!  I love the lines of the Bone!!!  Might have to put that one on my list.  Are there any resin/3D printed nozzles for the exhaust in that scale?  Is the first bay a fuel tank or a really big bomb?

I'm not sure about after market parts for it @wm cheng. I would imagine there probably are.  So the first bay is a giant fuel tank yes.  Now I was excited when building it and didn't really think through the fact that those doors wouldn't be open on a bombing run but oh well! 😆 There WERE enough parts to make another bomb rack that could have been put in that spot with only minor modifications, but the instructions didn't event hint at that being an option and I had already glued the fuel tank in and would have had to damage it and or the plane to get it out.  If I had it to do over again, I would have ditched the extra fuel tank and loaded out all 3 bomb bays! 

I had the 1:72 kit of this when I was a teenager and it was HUGE! It hung right over my head in my bed!  I remember it had a larger center bomb bay with ICBM's in it cause ya know, 80's = NUKE the Russkies! :lol:

Edited by derex3592

My apologies for the lack luster pics but here is my 1/48 YF-23. With it raining the past few days, I'm stuck until Sunday (sunny & warmer) before I can give it a final coat of grey paint, then finish off the engines & landing gear. 

Does anyone have a spare 1/48 fighter pilot you're willing to part with? I'm in no rush to buy an entire 1/48 grounds crew set just for one pilot. Hobby Boss failed to provide one. 

20231215_185515.jpg

20231215_185526.jpg

Pretty sure I've got an unused Hase. 1:48 Ground crew set. You're welcome to the pilots from that if you want 'em. It's a pretty old mold, so they're not that great.

Just shoot me a PM with your address if you want 'em.

Edited by Chas

18 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

My apologies for the lack luster pics but here is my 1/48 YF-23. With it raining the past few days, I'm stuck until Sunday (sunny & warmer) before I can give it a final coat of grey paint, then finish off the engines & landing gear. 

Does anyone have a spare 1/48 fighter pilot you're willing to part with? I'm in no rush to buy an entire 1/48 grounds crew set just for one pilot. Hobby Boss failed to provide one. 

20231215_185515.jpg

20231215_185526.jpg

The hobby boss one? That looks like an awesome kit!

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

The hobby boss one? That looks like an awesome kit!

Yep, that's the Hobby Boss YF-23 kit. Overall, it's a good kit but I feel it misses a lot of detail opportunities, especially for the size & price. No option for the flaps, the air-intakes lack what you see in the picture of the real aircraft, also the wheels, nothing worse than a modern kit where the tires are NOT separate from the wheels, it's a real PITA to get it just right. 

The other kit shown is the Collect Aire 1/48 YF-23 Black Widow, that one has some serious detailing plus an optional Weapons/missile bay.

So after a lot of work, I'll have this YF-23 looking as good as I can. B))

image.png.f35ae1c52f92fc461f7596ce56ae5e75.png

coll_yf-23_parts3.jpg

coll_yf-23_parts2.jpg

Free marketing plug here for the $40 NEOECO airbrush on Amazon through Barbotos Rex's YouTube channel. I freehanded clouds with it today with the point 02 needle installed.   Pop off the front protective needle cap and just put a few drops of thinned out paint straight into the body of the thing for small detail work. No paint container to clean. Impressive to say the least for $40! Great cheap tool to use for whatever. 3 needles and different size containers, a dropper, a quick release part and other stuff as well. Check it out! 

20231216_165341.jpg