21 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Nah, man, I don't care. M.A.S.K. had some of the best toys that I never owned growing up, so this is intriguing.  While I absolutely dig Gloria's car-cum-sub for its aesthetics, the Thunderhawk is by far the most iconic vehicle from the show, and would have made a better starting toy, IMHO. Intriguing, nonetheless.  

Incidentally, I always wanted the Condor (green motorcycle that turns into a helicopter), but with limited funds as a kid, I saved all my money for LEGO and Transformers. Anyway, back in 2020 I went to an antique store and found one in good condition, minus the pilot. Regardless, I bought it and it sits on my desk within easy reach where I can look at it and mess with it anytime the whim strikes. The thought of a potential update, and hopefully one that's more complex and cooler, fills me with joy.

I always thought the Stinger was pretty cool, too, although so many of the toys in that line rocked. Definitely will be keeping an eye on this line.

Hey @M'Kyuun. It looks like Thunder Hawk (Red Gullwing) is next to Shark (Great White). ;) :good: 

image.png.98e1fd2d2050d8e15a761d220ddbbdcf.png

I have nice memories of MASK.. it’s great Ramen Toys dabbling into this & other 80’s cartoon. Not too long ago, they were toying with idea of getting into Starcom as well..

Hoping Ramen Toys will make Switchblade..

I wonder if they're doing these under license or, you know, just third-partying it like Transformers?  Since Hasbro seems to show no interest in reviving M.A.S.K., despite the how cool the concept is, and its similarity to Transformers, I'm glad to see somebody showing interest in the property. With a really well done toon to help toy sales, M.A.S.K. could be a winner for Hasbro.  What kid doesn't like a normal everyday vehicle that turns into a flying vehicle or a tank?  the idea of hidden weapons in a car has worked for James Bond since the 60s. There's something intrinsically cool about it that has certainly always appealed to me.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:09 AM, no3Ljm said:

Someone asked on Ramen Toy's Facebook post on what scale the Great White (SHARK) is going to be. In which Ramen Toy replied "we will do our best to match the originals."

277744351_369256408455199_4988802538173668800_n.jpg.76db83a04eed7b6b0f01435c9efb7366.jpg

Are they going to have more joints on the figures. I remember them being very small and had fairly basic movement with 7 points of articulation. Just curious if they’re going for more 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Are they going to have more joints on the figures. I remember them being very small and had fairly basic movement with 7 points of articulation. Just curious if they’re going for more 

There's no official descriptions yet regarding the included figure aside from Ramen Toy's statement to match the originals. Seeing that the original figures had 7-point articulation as you mentioned, I think for that size (2-2.5"), the rotating waist joint is doable. The elbow joint on the other hand, for its size, might or might not work. Because it might snap easily. Would be cool though if they did.

s-l500.jpg.ee6d052e2989ef2552a3c47111332a51.jpg

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

There's no official descriptions yet regarding the included figure aside from Ramen Toy's statement to match the originals. Seeing that the original figures had 7-point articulation as you mentioned, I think for that size (2-2.5"), the rotating waist joint is doable. The elbow joint on the other hand, for its size, might or might not work. Because it might snap easily. Would be cool though if they did.

s-l500.jpg.ee6d052e2989ef2552a3c47111332a51.jpg

Since the gimmick back in the day was vehicle related, I didn’t mind how they were jointed. I just curious if they’re gonna try for a bit more here in the modern age. The waist does seem easy enough, but maybe ball jointed hips and and shoulders with a bit more range kinda like G.I. Joe . I guess it’s a wait and see kinda thing 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Since the gimmick back in the day was vehicle related, I didn’t mind how they were jointed. I just curious if they’re gonna try for a bit more here in the modern age. The waist does seem easy enough, but maybe ball jointed hips and and shoulders with a bit more range kinda like G.I. Joe . I guess it’s a wait and see kinda thing 

Yeah. It would be nice to modernize it. But then again, the more they starts to intricate stuff, the more it becomes fragile. I'm just concern on the size of the figure. They can probably modernize the design but still keep it sturdy. I'm curious though on how much detail they can add on the actual vehicles though. :good:

3 hours ago, Big s said:

6 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yeah. It would be nice to modernize it. But then again, the more they starts to intricate stuff, the more it becomes fragile. I'm just concern on the size of the figure. They can probably modernize the design but still keep it sturdy. I'm curious though on how much detail they can add on the actual vehicles though. :good:

Hey @Big s. I tried to search on what's the height of the old Kenner figures, and like I mentioned above, it's around 2-2.5". So that's somewhere in 1/28 scale. And I remember Acid Rain B2Five figures are mostly 1/28. So I think it's doable to make it articulated and detailed. I just hope that it's going to be sturdy enough to man-handle them afterwards. Pew! Pew! :lol: 

Below are samples of 1/28 Acid Rain figures:

s-l640.jpg.abc5c6a60cff35cc0d578cf60a33d153.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.fa6331fadb76e123495af75a51b7c2f0.jpg

maxresdefault-1.jpg.7e0413a3355a19b36bd96211ef3c165f.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg.77463e9845682bd7b508d177817313d3.jpg

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey @Big s. I tried to search on what's the height of the old Kenner figures, and like I mentioned above, it's around 2-2.5". So that's somewhere in 1/28 scale. And I remember Acid Rain B2Five figures are mostly 1/28. So I think it's doable to make it articulated and detailed. I just hope that it's going to be sturdy enough to man-handle them afterwards. Pew! Pew! :lol: 

Below are samples of 1/28 Acid Rain figures:

s-l640.jpg.abc5c6a60cff35cc0d578cf60a33d153.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.fa6331fadb76e123495af75a51b7c2f0.jpg

maxresdefault-1.jpg.7e0413a3355a19b36bd96211ef3c165f.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg.77463e9845682bd7b508d177817313d3.jpg

I was thinking of those as well, but not sure if they’re gonna be that ambitious. It’s definitely doable these days 

9 hours ago, Big s said:

I was thinking of those as well, but not sure if they’re gonna be that ambitious. It’s definitely doable these days 

I think it's doable if they choose to. I put an Acid Rain figure on the photo. ;) 

s-l500.jpg.ee6d052e2989ef2552a3c47111332a51.jpg.89610aa98f25f51390824a5f0c7e3898.jpg

• azrael changed the title to M.A.S.K. - Show and Toy collections
On 4/11/2022 at 6:09 AM, Big s said:

The plan is to have articulated figures and Ramen Toy will be providing more information after prototypes are done.

17 hours ago, Big s said:

If I didn’t know better, I’d have thought that was the prototype for the new line. Hope they take the hint

Thank you sir! Yeah, hope they do something like that. It probably going to blow people's mind seeing their favorite 80's cartoon comes back to life again -- in fully articulated toy form this time around. ;)

But then, they should produce this quickly... coz we're getting old. There's no other fanbase aside us 80's kids. Hahaha! :lol: 

23 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thank you sir! Yeah, hope they do something like that. It probably going to blow people's mind seeing their favorite 80's cartoon comes back to life again -- in fully articulated toy form this time around. ;)

But then, they should produce this quickly... coz we're getting old. There's no other fanbase aside us 80's kids. Hahaha! :lol: 

No kidding; besides Transformers which has found a young audience thanks to Bay (God how that HURTS to admit), most of the other 80's properties are only being buoyed by us old-timers who grew up with them, and I wonder if they're ever going to find an audience again. Stuff like M.A.S.K. was such a cool concept and the original toys, while products of their time, were still pretty amazing, and IMHO, deserve a second life. Hopefully Ramen will do justice to these things and spark a small revival.

I recently put away a lot of DVDs and blu-rays into storage with most that I already have on digital.  I kept some physical media still on the shelf that was worth keeping there.  The MASK DVD set is staying on the shelf between all Macross series and The Matrix Trilogy.

In regards to the 3rd party MASK toys, I wonder if there will be some interest for any of the 3rd party Transformers companies to release a few vehicles.  X-Transbots first comes to mind with their upcoming Omnibots that include their alt modes.

22 hours ago, sh9000 said:

In regards to the 3rd party MASK toys, I wonder if there will be some interest for any of the 3rd party Transformers companies to release a few vehicles.  X-Transbots first comes to mind with their upcoming Omnibots that include their alt modes.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, TBH. The engineering involved isn't quite on the same level as creating a completely convertible and highly articulated robot; it'd be a nice side hustle for some of these companies, and with 80's nostalgia at a high point, a good gamble methinks. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ramen does with it. I didn't have any M.A.S.K. toys growing up, so this'll afford me the chance to pick up the ones that appeal most to me. I simply don't have the room for all of them, but I have my faves. But I'm sure there are die-hard fans out there who would love to have a shiny new collection of updated toys, much like us Transformers fans.

In retrospect, I'm guessing M.A.S.K. was Kenner's answer to Transformers, without directly copying what Hasbro was doing. Ironic since they'd be the ones producing the Beast Wars toys in the mid-90s, albeit under Hasbro's ownership. (Hasbro acquired Kenner in 1991)

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, TBH. The engineering involved isn't quite on the same level as creating a completely convertible and highly articulated robot; it'd be a nice side hustle for some of these companies, and with 80's nostalgia at a high point, a good gamble methinks. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ramen does with it. I didn't have any M.A.S.K. toys growing up, so this'll afford me the chance to pick up the ones that appeal most to me. I simply don't have the room for all of them, but I have my faves. But I'm sure there are die-hard fans out there who would love to have a shiny new collection of updated toys, much like us Transformers fans.

In retrospect, I'm guessing M.A.S.K. was Kenner's answer to Transformers, without directly copying what Hasbro was doing. Ironic since they'd be the ones producing the Beast Wars toys in the mid-90s, albeit under Hasbro's ownership. (Hasbro acquired Kenner in 1991)

I think that M.A.S.K. absolutely was Kenner's answer to both Transformers and to G.I. Joe, and the kid in me recognized that and was definitely a big fan.

When Hasbro got the rights to it, I was honestly excited for the potential there. The IDW comics and crossovers were... not to my taste (the MASK ones, not the TF ones, which I did enjoy). We got the one Trakker GI Joe figure, with the Condor-inspired backpack, but that was about it. I did enjoy the Transformers Human Alliance figures because they felt to me a bit like TF having a taste of MASK figures.

If Hasbro had the old molds then I’d love to get some vintage reissues just like what they’ve been releasing with Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, and Ghostbusters.

There’s potential for an updated line from Hasbro.  It would be nice if they made some new toys.

The determining factors on whether I'll be buying the Ramen Toy MASK toys will be their engineering, qc, and ultimately the cost.  If the vehicles are $150-200 each then I might skip them all.

I really don't have the room for a complete collection, but I do have a smattering of faves that I wouldn't mind having. I too hope they won't be too-high priced either, or I'll be skipping all but maybe one or two. Curious to see how these turn out, though. Never had any M.A.S.K. stuff as a kid, so the chance to pick up a few updated toys is definitely appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...