Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer

Shaorin

RainbowBriteandtheStarStealer-1985TheatricalPoster.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Brite_and_the_Star_Stealer

(Yeah, i'm pretty certain i'm gonna get my ass kicked seven ways to Sunday for this, but...)

anyone here remember the 1985 theatrical Movie "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer" fondly?

though i had not seen it during it's theatrical run (i was like, Four at the time, and hyperactive to boot...)

my mother had taped it for me off HBO in the late eighties, and i recall liking the movie from the first time

i seen the tape.

i still have that VHS, a high-quality high-grade TDK from the mid-eighties, solid as a rock. it was my only copy

of this movie for twenty years, until i found it's DVD release.

after seeing it again, in high resolution for the first time, actually, it dawned on me that this movie had to have been one of my first

experiences with Japanese animation.

sure, Rainbow Brite itself is certainly not japanese in origin, but this movie certainly is, and everything about the

actual animation, to me anyway, feels very much like 1980's Anime. pacing, visual style, you name it.

anyway, since this movie is, to the best of my memory, the first Anime-like program i had ever seen,

i tend to affectionately regard it as the seed that planted the basis of the serious Anime fandom of my teenage years to the present day.

so, is there, by any chance, any 1980's "Neo-Maxie-Zoom-Dweebies" out there besides me that might feel the same?

oh, and something of a hint at what this movie might have been like had it been made exclusively for the Japanese market?

Rainbow_Brite_Poster_by_LightBlackStudios.png

Rainbow_Brite__Main_Villains_by_Gamoogah.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

I won't lie I did like that movie a lot as a kid, mainly cause of the Black mechanical horse. Don't remember it much anymore though.

"ON-X" (Onyx) i believe it was called.

the thing had a series of square LEDs for a Mane that lit up in sequence every time it talked,

and i recall a scene in which it's speech was glitching out, and Rainbow Brite "fixed" it

by PRESSING IN one of those lights that was, for whatever reason, sticking up higher then the rest... :huh:

Edited by Shaorin

I haven`t seen the Rainbow Bright movie but I did see an English dub of a great Minky Momo film on TV in the early `90s. Always wanted to track down the original Japanese versions. Does anybody know what it was called in English?

Dammit, I was just about to start a thread on that. Truly outrageous!

Lol, although I was more of a Misfit fan, myself... :ph34r:

And since this thread has gone this long without mentioning Jem. Let's mention Jem!

Now me, I was always pissed off we never got a proper ending for Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors!

Want me to go get her? We are FB friends.