24 minutes ago, George Yamamori said:
Which are the VF-31A's Bifors CIMM-3B micro-missiles? The 6 internal launchers near the knees or the hatch on the back of the legs?

They're the internal launchers near the knees.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really follow the concert livestreams too much, but I was thinking about buying a ticket for the Macross Frontier Galaxy REVENGE! concert. I was trying to see if there was a thread on the forum of people talking about it because it's the first global stream and I was somewhat surprised to not see anything mentioning it. Is this really a live event or something was already recorded?

1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

Looking at Japanese wikipedia  I noticed a manga called Macross  Comic Zentradi Prime (Macross Ace Editorial Edition, Kadokawa Shoten,  2011).

Anybody has an idea on this?

Do you mean this?

マクロス コミックゼントラ盛り

本誌に掲載された4コマ漫画や読み切り作品を収録。2011年3月26日発売。ISBN 978-4047156753

* https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マクロスエース#単行本

If so, the correct reading is "Macross Comic Zentradi Serving" (as in "a serving of rice").

The description reads: "Includes 4-panel gag manga and one-shot works published in [the Macross Ace] magazine.  Released on March 26, 2011."

It's a collection of the following and other gag manga:

ゼントラ弁当マクロス風

アキバ鉄工作。2009年から2011年まで『マクロスエース』に連載。本作を題材としたパロディ4コマギャグ漫画。単行本『マクロス コミックゼントラ盛り』に収録。

* https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/超時空要塞マクロス#漫画 (at the very bottom, just before the "game" section starts)

Translation: "Zentradi bento-box Macross style

By Akiba Tekko. Serialized in "Macros Ace" from 2009 to 2011.  A parody 4-panel gag manga based on [Super Dimensional Fortress Macross].  It was included in the "Macross Comic Zentradi Serving" publication."

※ the titles (Macross Comic Zentradi Serving,  Zentradi bento-box Macross Style) are playing on the ゼントラ丼 (Zentradi Bowl, as in Beef Bowl) thing that showed up accompanying events and attractions spawned by Macross F.

Edited by sketchley

3 hours ago, sketchley said:

Do you mean this?

マクロス コミックゼントラ盛り

本誌に掲載された4コマ漫画や読み切り作品を収録。2011年3月26日発売。ISBN 978-4047156753

* https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マクロスエース#単行本

If so, the correct reading is "Macross Comic Zentradi Serving" (as in "a serving of rice").

The description reads: "Includes 4-panel gag manga and one-shot works published in [the Macross Ace] magazine.  Released on March 26, 2011."

It's a collection of the following and other gag manga:

ゼントラ弁当マクロス風

アキバ鉄工作。2009年から2011年まで『マクロスエース』に連載。本作を題材としたパロディ4コマギャグ漫画。単行本『マクロス コミックゼントラ盛り』に収録。

* https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/超時空要塞マクロス#漫画 (at the very bottom, just before the "game" section starts)

Translation: "Zentradi bento-box Macross style

By Akiba Tekko. Serialized in "Macros Ace" from 2009 to 2011.  A parody 4-panel gag manga based on [Super Dimensional Fortress Macross].  It was included in the "Macross Comic Zentradi Serving" publication."

※ the titles (Macross Comic Zentradi Serving,  Zentradi bento-box Macross Style) are playing on the ゼントラ丼 (Zentradi Bowl, as in Beef Bowl) thing that showed up accompanying events and attractions spawned by Macross F.

Okay thanks,  I was curious at what it was.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:01 AM, 100mega said:

I don't really follow the concert livestreams too much, but I was thinking about buying a ticket for the Macross Frontier Galaxy REVENGE! concert. I was trying to see if there was a thread on the forum of people talking about it because it's the first global stream and I was somewhat surprised to not see anything mentioning it. Is this really a live event or something was already recorded?

Live event.

• 5 weeks later...

A couple days ago, on a Youtube thread about the F-14, the topic took a swing on macross and the VF-1's formation being derived from the F-14.

" @Teh PW  *coughs Shoji Kawamori based the design of the VF-1 on the F-111 (the tipped up nose is the giveaway)"

Now i was both mildly annoyed and yet curious (because i didn't view the comment as a attack) because i never heard this before... is there any truth to this comment?

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

A couple days ago, on a Youtube thread about the F-14, the topic took a swing on macross and the VF-1's formation being derived from the F-14.

" @Teh PW  *coughs Shoji Kawamori based the design of the VF-1 on the F-111 (the tipped up nose is the giveaway)"

Now i was both mildly annoyed and yet curious (because i didn't view the comment as a attack) because i never heard this before... is there any truth to this comment?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

It's always been well-understood that Kawamori's design for the VF-1 Valkyrie was based on the Grumman F-14 Tomcat.  Publications that discuss the development of the series rarely fail to mention that Kawamori's inspiration for the VF-1 was the US Navy's Grumman F-14 as on page 22 of Kawamori Shoji Design Works, page 28 of Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works, the 30th anniversary "special appendix" Document of Macross, Kawamori's interview in the 2018 Autumn issue of Great Mechanics G magazine (pg31), and so on. 

The only other aircraft typically mentioned in connection with it are its namesake, the North American XB-70, and the McDonnell Douglas F-15C's FAST Pack capability inspiring the VF-1's FAST Packs.

The connection is drawn in-universe as well, with even very early versions of the technical setting (e.g. Sky Angels) indicating the VF-1 was literally based on the F-14 in-universe and that F-14s were used to evaluate some systems being developed for the Valkyrie.  This relationship only got closer post-Macross Zero.  Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix has some remarks about how the first VF prototypes that preceded the VF-0 were quite literally modified F-14s.

EDIT: It's also fairly well-known that Roy's VF-1S color scheme and the SVF-1 Skulls are modeled on the colors of the US Navy's VF-84 Jolly Rogers, who gained fame on film two years before Macross came out flying their F-14s in the 1980 movie The Final Countdown.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Added a bit of context

Thank you for verification but i am still curious: The person mentions the Tipped Up nose to explain the reason... could there be a connection?

After Googling some random images of the retired F-111 (because i have never personally seen the aircraft unless it was passing though Sigonella Italy in 1992, post Desert Storm), I wonder what exactly does that dude mean? Other than VG wings, there is almost nothing in common with the VF-1, visually. The aircraft was recently retired (when viewed through the lense of Macross) in 1998 so I would imagine it being pressed back into emergency service for the Anti-UN War but not in any naval-based combat setting...

Edited by TehPW

20 hours ago, TehPW said:

Thank you for verification but i am still curious: The person mentions the Tipped Up nose to explain the reason... could there be a connection?

Unlikely, IMO... I have never seen any mention of the F-111 in connection with the VF-1's design.

After Googling some random images of the retired F-111 (because i have never personally seen the aircraft unless it was passing though Sigonella Italy in 1992, post Desert Storm), I wonder what exactly does that dude mean? Other than VG wings, there is almost nothing in common with the VF-1, visually.

He's referring to the angle of the underside of the nosecone... which is similar to the VF-1's, but using that as the basis to claim the VF-1 is based on the F-111 is pretty silly when the aircraft is literally a scaled-down F-14.

The aircraft was recently retired (when viewed through the lense of Macross) in 1998 so I would imagine it being pressed back into emergency service for the Anti-UN War but not in any naval-based combat setting...

It's not inconceivable that the F-111 might find itself pressed back into service during the Unification Wars, though after the first couple years there wouldn't have been much in the way of utility for older planes as newer models upgraded with or built around OTM like the F-14++, MiM-31, or F203 were being introduced.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not inconceivable that the F-111 might find itself pressed back into service during the Unification Wars, though after the first couple years there wouldn't have been much in the way of utility for older planes as newer models upgraded with or built around OTM like the F-14++, MiM-31, or F203 were being introduced.

I suddenly want to see an overtech-enhanced SR-71 in Macross...

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Unlikely, IMO... I have never seen any mention of the F-111 in connection with the VF-1's design.

He's referring to the angle of the underside of the nosecone... which is similar to the VF-1's, but using that as the basis to claim the VF-1 is based on the F-111 is pretty silly when the aircraft is literally a scaled-down F-14.

On a side note; the F-111 had been originally developed as a joint-fighter between the Navy and the Air Force, but displayed poor performance specs in tests. Grumman had been working with General Dymanics on the naval version, but when the program as a whole was becoming a problem, Grumman began doing improvement studies into what a naval fighter would require and possible alternatives. in 1966, the Navy awarded Grumman a contract to do studies into an advanced fighter design.

That design would later go on to become the F-14 Tomcat (Named after Vice Admiral Thomas Connoly, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Air Warfare).

So, the F-111 and the F-14 do have some commonality, but are different aircraft.