Technology you F'ng hate thread

Ghost Train

They still have payphones? Even today, in a world where more people own a cell phone than have broadband internet?

Yeah, they're like mail boxes. All around until you need one.

Remember to keep a healthy perspective when absorbing commercial messages: not everyone has a mobile phone. Any numbers you may have seen are most likely inflated by the people who have 2 or more (work & personal, etc.).

Technically visible light is also a form of EM radiation. The only way to stay safe is to live in a lead enclosed room in complete darkness!

yeah, but then you body stops producing/metabolizing certain vitamins and then you die anyways.

See, we love five guys too... All I'm saying is I'd rather eat a quality product like 5 guys or in and out, versus cheap, bland crap like mcdonalds. And that's what msg does to food, it's just bland, generic proteiny/salty instead of rich, full flavors.

F*ck In and Out. Over-hyped shit is what it is. <_<

Edited by anime52k8

hp laptop batteries.

They infuriate me.

I don't get it, we're in 2011 and batteries have generally remained the same... While electronics have become more energy-efficient, batteries remained boring... =\

the concept of time.

Whoever created it is evil, because they didn't put in enough extra time in the day. >.<

Don't like it? Go to another planet. Better yet, build a rocket ring around the Earth and slow down its rotation. :rolleyes:

Edited by shiroikaze

Don't like it? Go to another planet. Better yet, build a rocket ring around the Earth and slow down its rotation. :rolleyes:

And how does that affect the price of fish? The concept of time is relative.

Wait, I thought the MSG argument was about it just being unhealthy, not making your food taste worse.

I put McDonald's employees' kids through college, I eat there so much. As has been mentioned, I'd rather eat something that tastes good, than eat bland and healthy. My mother complains at me and my diet all of the time; she's an organic foods maniac. I swear to god, if a food item doesn't have the term "organic" or "natural" on it, she won't buy it.

Growing organic food is just fine and all, but I hate it when people take a giant dump on the usual way of growing foods; that is, using pesticides and artificial hormones. Right now, it's the most efficient way to feed 300 million Americans, and much of the rest of the world, for that matter. If we went all organic, we'd never be able to produce as much food. You can keep on eating organic food, if that's what makes you happy. The rest of us don't really mind the pesticides and artificial hormones.

Wait, I thought the MSG argument was about it just being unhealthy, not making your food taste worse.

I put McDonald's employees' kids through college, I eat there so much. As has been mentioned, I'd rather eat something that tastes good, than eat bland and healthy. My mother complains at me and my diet all of the time; she's an organic foods maniac. I swear to god, if a food item doesn't have the term "organic" or "natural" on it, she won't buy it.

Growing organic food is just fine and all, but I hate it when people take a giant dump on the usual way of growing foods; that is, using pesticides and artificial hormones. Right now, it's the most efficient way to feed 300 million Americans, and much of the rest of the world, for that matter. If we went all organic, we'd never be able to produce as much food. You can keep on eating organic food, if that's what makes you happy. The rest of us don't really mind the pesticides and artificial hormones.

Well, that's not entirely true. Modern farming techniques only work in the us because the government heavily subsidizes the agricultural industry, oil and gives farmers access to cheap water. In countries that don't do this, modern farming techniques can actually cause the farmers to go out of business trying to keep up with fertilizer and water. This is actually what's happening in farming communities in south America and India. And then there's the issue with the gm seeds sold to the farmers which wont grow viable seeds on their own, forcing farmers to have to buy seeds each year. Without government subsidies, the current modern farming method isnt sustainable.

But back to msg. Restaurants use msg to cheat the flavor of food. So instead of using actual chicken, beef, vegetable stock, or spices to flavor food, they add msg to "enhance" what little flavor is there. It's not only cheap but you get generically tasting food that has lost all the charm and characteristics of what it was intended to have. I'd rather pay more, eat a little less to have an honestly good tasting dish than shovel vast quanties of cheap crap into my mouth.

I'm just opposed to the word "organic" being used in the current context. By definition, pesticides, hormones, meth, and cocaine are all organic compounds too. :D

I never said I don't like MSG because it's not organic. I said I don't like MSG because it makes cheap, bland, soulless tasting food.

Nothing to do with health food. Msg just tastes like crap compared to real soup stock or spices made with actual ingredients.

See, we love five guys too... All I'm saying is I'd rather eat a quality product like 5 guys or in and out, versus cheap, bland crap like mcdonalds. And that's what msg does to food, it's just bland, generic proteiny/salty instead of rich, full flavors.

Oh. Well, in that case I agree with you.

Texting saves time for me. It's precise and with no need for formalities. No hellos, no goodbyes, no hold ons. I can check exactly what was said so I don't have to call back if I forget or heard something incorrectly. MMS is awesome also. If I need a something and I want no mistakes, I'll just send a pic. No more "It's the one in the green bottle... no the bottle is clear, the liquid inside is green. What the hell is this? That's not green... That aqua."

I actually use my smartphone as a phone the least. Then again I'm not one of those people that text constantly, in lines, in the theatre, in the car... can't stand those people. And I'm afraid of how annoying it's gonna be once personal video conferences become more prominent. I'm actually glad that AT&T restricts it to wifi only in the US.

Tasty = makes you weak

Meh, I've seen too many "healthy/strong" people in my personal life die of heart attacks to know that when your number is up, your number is well and truly up.

Joe Dancer can be pretty indiscriminate as well.

I'm not advocating an unhealthy lifestyle, and by all means we should probably do more to extend our lives through better health, but we all must understand that the saying "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" exists for a reason and there is NO way to guarantee a long life.

Meh, I've seen too many "healthy/strong" people in my personal life die of heart attacks to know that when your number is up, your number is well and truly up.

Joe Dancer can be pretty indiscriminate as well.

I'm not advocating an unhealthy lifestyle, and by all means we should probably do more to extend our lives through better health, but we all must understand that the saying "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" exists for a reason and there is NO way to guarantee a long life.

True. I really don't eat healthy to live longer. Its about being in better shape. I don't think anything tastes as good as being in shape feels.

True. I really don't eat healthy to live longer. Its about being in better shape. I don't think anything tastes as good as being in shape feels.

Amen.

After three rounds of P90X, I felt super human.

I've since cut back to just running and light working out but I feel better and am in better shape than when I was 19.

I'd like to add Bottled Water to the hate-list. A combination of boiling and filtration will create drinking water of similar quality at much much much less than $1.XX a bottle.... but yea, Government conspiracy to fluoridate water to sterilize people ahead of the 2012 Alien Invasion etc etc etc.

And yea... I'm too good to drink from the tap. My body is optimized only to turn Fiji water and VOX into piss.

Edited by Ghost Train

I'd like to add Bottled Water to the hate-list. A combination of boiling and filtration will create drinking water of similar quality at much much much less than $1.XX a bottle.... but yea, Government conspiracy to fluoridate water to sterilize people ahead of the 2012 Alien Invasion etc etc etc.

And yea... I'm too good to drink from the tap. My body is optimized only to turn Fiji water and VOX into piss.

Hey, if people want to pay 1000% more for lower quality water than what comes out of the tap, more power to them.

This is very true. The longer I work out regularly, the more I try to stay away from eating, because as soon as you eat too much, you feel it - and it makes you feel lethargic rather than energetic. Plus, at the gym, you have to waste more time burning it off rather than sculpting muscles.

Speaking of which - I hate OVER COMPLICATED TRAINING BIKES!!! Although in the end, I do learn how to use them, but still, at times I feel like Bill Murray on that treadmill in Lost in Translation :-)

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

For me It's gotta be.

1. Text messages, I was selling phones when they invented this shite, and told my boss at the time it was a good money spinner but would be the end of proper communications, I also told him he needed to get into PDA's and laptops as the tech was converging. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about.... Today he's out of business and I worked in the convergence of the two techs for the major players.

Now when kids put text speak on English exam papers and cant understand why they get marked down, I think we have our answer for the future of mankind.

Spend 15 mins with sentences of less than 160 characters, not likely, ringing up to say "sorry mate can't come to the Pub tonight" takes 2 mins tops. Lifes too short...#

2. Twitter I don't care what you ate for breakfast or where you have inventively found you can post messages from.

Facebook good for one thing messaging my friends collectively, all the overseas travels I and my friends do and have done leaves us all over the place, phone calls would be expensive in this area. In this area it is better than good ole email.

I must say though I spend more time with my Virtual fish , than my two ponds full of real ones.

Twitter should be renamed Twatter.

3. Items that need jailbreaking before you can actually use them to the full potential. The Ipod is the prime example even the classic ones software is lame I have to say I prefer the home brewed replacement versions as they are more usable. The original Xbox a great media player when the MS O.S is removed and media software put on instead.

Iphones you can keep em. My HTC is far better, regular updates no barring of flashplayer etc, likes all the file types I use, and just as many apps to fill it up with. My last HTC was a Windows one and MS even gave me the Dev kit for Windows Mobile and it allowed me to build my own custom builds. Try that on an Ipod Apple lovers

4. ITunes wtf is the point of buying an album saved at some ridiculously low bit rate and paying almost the same price as I can by it at my local Music store on a CD with better quality, and all I have to do is save it as a 320 bit mp3 and transfer it. My media server does it for me whenever I pop in a CD it has never seen before.

5. Smartphones while I have worked for some of the players in this market I cant stand the kids who "must" have one and then don't even use half of its capabilities, i'm not saying you should do all of it but when you buy the latest smartphone just to play angry birds and text your mates, and you don't use the internet on it as you didn't buy a data package on your talk plan because you can't afford it, is kinda like buying a car and pushing it as you can't afford the Gas to make it go.

I think it all started going down hill when the first ape climbed out of the trees, or possibly not too long after the big bang.

Edited by big F

Smartphones ......and you don't use the internet on it as you didn't buy a data package on your talk plan because you can't afford it

That's the opposite of the situation in the US. Nowadays, any phone which has even the most minimal, useless, pointless HTML capabilities that no one in their right mind would actually try to compose an email on, much less surf the web with---is considered a "smart" phone and requires an additional data plan, just to be able to use/buy the phone.

There's several new phones I'd like to get WITHOUT the data plan----mainly just to get a better QWERTY board and a better camera. But "non-smart with QWERTY" pretty much doesn't exist any more. I mean, they do, but you can't buy them like that. So I still use my old, old phone. A year after I got it, my phone "became" a smart phone, and new customers had to get data plans. And trust me, you can not use it for any sort of internet/email purposes unless you are an utter sadist. Its successor, and its successor's successor, have no more capability than mine---but require a data plan only slightly less expensive than the top-of-the-line super-smart phones, even though they cannot truly use it.

Before my BB, I had a Nokia 6200 one for almost 5 years. As bare-bones as a mobile can get, but super-durable, incredibly high quality reception, and looked pretty sharp (it screams I'm a utilitarian minimalist who likes tools that work vs tools that look good but are sh!t) for a candy-bar design:

Nokia6200.jpg

...Fast forward 5 years, and the initial batch of shiny iPhone4's has problems making phone calls :D . We must all practice grabbing the phone the correct way to get optimal reception. Practice makes perfect! Let's keep at it!

Before my BB, I had a Nokia 6200 one for almost 5 years. As bare-bones as a mobile can get, but super-durable, incredibly high quality reception, and looked pretty sharp (it screams I'm a utilitarian minimalist who likes tools that work vs tools that look good but are sh!t) for a candy-bar design:

Nokia6200.jpg

...Fast forward 5 years, and the initial batch of shiny iPhone4's has problems making phone calls :D . We must all practice grabbing the phone the correct way to get optimal reception. Practice makes perfect! Let's keep at it!

I'm with you on this. I'm using a Nokia...godknowswhatmodelthatIforgot as well and although it seems that its days are numbered (turning off by itself sometimes, and LCD screeen goes wonky without a good nudge) i'm still reluctant to get a smart phone.

Its appalling how the smartphone has made people forget their table manners. Nobody sits at a table to have a decent conversation over dinner anymore. Every few minutes its checking on FB or twitter on the iphone. I hate you steve jobs for stealing my friends and family. :(

I look at you North Americans mobile phones, and just shake my head at the limited options, both hardware and connection wise, and the total lack of customer service. Shame.

Anyhow, the corruption of writing is probably here to stay. Well, at least until the kids have to sit down for university exams. That's a nice and hard lesson in real life (young'uns here are losing... hmmm, never really learning how to write the more complex kanji), and the temptation to use mobile phones is always there, people just have to learn when it's OK to use them, and when it's not OK. I give North Americans another few years before they figure that one out and there is a noticeable backlash against it.

I look at you North Americans mobile phones, and just shake my head at the limited options, both hardware and connection wise, and the total lack of customer service. Shame.

Anyhow, the corruption of writing is probably here to stay. Well, at least until the kids have to sit down for university exams. That's a nice and hard lesson in real life (young'uns here are losing... hmmm, never really learning how to write the more complex kanji), and the temptation to use mobile phones is always there, people just have to learn when it's OK to use them, and when it's not OK. I give North Americans another few years before they figure that one out and there is a noticeable backlash against it.

Since you're been in Japan for sometime, just how advanced are the japanese mobile phones and networks compared to their western counterparts? I really like the standard clamshell design compared to the crappy touchscreen smartphone trend started by iPhone. Too bad Japanese phones don't quite work outside Japan...at least not fully.

That's the opposite of the situation in the US. Nowadays, any phone which has even the most minimal, useless, pointless HTML capabilities that no one in their right mind would actually try to compose an email on, much less surf the web with---is considered a "smart" phone and requires an additional data plan, just to be able to use/buy the phone.

I grit my teeth every time I see this.