Hrmm, that seems fishy. I hope this is set at least a year or two back because if not, how would no one know that there was an outbreak on the east coast? Also we know that some of the group had traveled all the way from TX to Virginia, I think that is more than 5 states lol.

I think it's very clear that they're starting the Walking Dead story anew, this time on the west coast. Based on the teasers, I like the idea that we'll be watching the zombie apocalypse unfold, as opposed to joining the story in the aftermath as in the original...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I knew the first ep will suck since they are trying to built up the characters.

That's no excuse for them. The first episode of the original Walking Dead was riveting and indisputably entertaining. I would argue the first episode, along with the first season, is easily the best of the Walking Dead and television shows of all time...

I understand that this is a pre-zombie apocalypse, character building series, but I've seen episodes of Friends that have more tension and interesting characters than this premiere. "Can you say snoozefest?" They visit the Church twice and absolutely nothing happens. That should have been a place that was infested. And why did they write it in twice with the same outcome? To make it an hour and a half show? It's a 15 minute short stretched to over an hour for no reason but to get advertising dollars and milk the franchise. Kinda blatant.

Finally had a chance to watch thru the entire first episode of FtWD...

Not bad...but not sure how this could be a whole new series....should have just been a mini-series at most. In the "behind the scenes" clip it is mentioned that the events of this show are the the time Rick is stuck in the hospital...how long was that?

The one thing that was interesting in the episode was that it was mentioned that the same things were already being reported in 5 states...

The one thing I hope this show has the freedom to explore is an explanation of why the zombie apocalypse is unfolding...I also want to know if it spreading across the whole USA...if it is global....and more importantly if there are any areas that are unaffected....

This whole thing can easily be some kind of biological weapon gone wrong....but it could also be some new drug cure for something that went wrong...or how about a biological attack on the US?...doubt that last one though...as the guy from the CDC in one of the early season episodes of tWD kinda seemed to insinuate this was home-grown....but who knows...

In the age of instant news and tweets...if the show doesn't at minimum show if this is happening anywhere else in the world...then it's pretty lame...

One final thought....in the show...they cut classes short and insinuate that it was as a result of the police video showing the attack of the walker....really? Why would a school system do that? What I'm hoping is that the video was an excuse for the government/military to start shutting down places where large groups of people congregate....would probably want to shutdown airports too...and start isolating the areas of contagion...judging by how well they did that in Atlanta....seems LA should unravel into a much greater cluster-fook....

Edited by jvmacross

While tonight's episode was a bit better than last week, the writing and personalities of these characters leaves alot to be desired.

If you watched tonight, the barber shop scene was more like dark humor... "Hey it's downtown LA, riots, screaming, shooting, people being shot 20 times in a row just a daily routine."

Waiting for Walking Dead to come back.

Agreed. In the premiere episode of TWD you were immediately drawn into Rick's plight and couldn't wait to see what happened next. With these new guys, they don't seem to evoke as much of a response from most viewers. Again, I would suggest it's because we're watching the story before the fall of civilization. For example, if we had watched a few episodes of Rick as a failing father and a tormented police officer the show wouldn't have been as interesting in the beginning...

I'm thinking it could also have to do with the fact that we know what they folks are in for.....

But, yeah....we already know what is going to happen....I think eventually the viewer may come to "connect" with this family...we must....or we just won't be emotionally vested when the sheit hits the fan and some of them fall victim to what we know must come to pass....it happened to the Grimes family.....and we'd all be outraged at this point to see little ass kicker become a walker snack.......the FtWD showrunners have a tough job with making us feel the same for a junkie.....good luck to them.....would love to see them pull it off.....it would mean great TV.....

They should have cut out the first episode and jumped to the second one. It's more of what I expected on the low end of the spectrum. It still can't compete with the first ep. of the OG series but I didn't expect it to.

I do think that the excuse that just because it's not in the same starting point as the original series, that we should forgive it for any such quality is kinda lame. But then the uneveness of the Walking Dead show should tell us ahead of time that it can be good or awful at any given time. But I still stand behind the fact that that first episode was pure crap.

The thing that I don't get is the fact that they just killed off the only 3 speaking parts that were African American within the first 2 episodes... technically I guess. The WD series has always made their black characters so expendable. It's like a revolving door.

Did I step on a toe I didn't see sticking out there..? I'm merely pointing out that there are many white characters who have been killed off throughout the show as well as black characters. In that I mean TWD. I'm sure FTWD will catch up between the black and white quotas soon enough to appease everyone. Basically, it's an empty question asked merely to ellicit a response, which only makes it more pointless...

Until the whole issue of "blacks getting killed off too soon" on The Walking Dead came up...I didn't even "notice"....they were just characters to me.....now it's a "race thing"....

Why not complain of the lack of Hispanics or Asians on the show (well, there's Glenn I guess...for now)...pretty sure Hispanic or Asian actors wouldn't mind getting killed off on the most popular show on the planet!

And FtWD takes place in Los Angeles.....no Latinos hooking up with white chicks in that town? They could have selected a Hispanic as the leading protagonist......what? No one would watch the show??? :wacko: or how about this idea.....the show could have centered on the fight for survival and "escape from LA" of an undocumented Mexican family living in East LA.....and their quest to head back to the "safety" of Mexico!!! :huh:

But at least Star Wars is now politically correct!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

Did I step on a toe I didn't see sticking out there..? I'm merely pointing out that there are many white characters who have been killed off throughout the show as well as black characters. In that I mean TWD. I'm sure FTWD will catch up between the black and white quotas soon enough to appease everyone. Basically, it's an empty question asked merely to ellicit a response, which only makes it more pointless...

It's so pointless that it irks you enough to keep responding. And since you're doing the math, even when you don't care. The ratio is one Michone that'll probably out live most characters except for about 3 or 4 non black characters. Which is I guess is a good ratio considering the ratio of the blacks vs. non blacks in the show.

Anyways... back to our regularly scheduled program...

So, apparently you get to say what you want, and then snipe at people who respond to it as being overly 'irked...'

You do realize that this is a public board where people will respond to what you say..?

In any case, my position is the idea that a show that is only two episodes in is somehow being racist by killing and zombifying more black characters than white is totally pointless.

I will redirect you to my first post that you've decided to take a personal interest in,

...Why are people always so intent on making something out of the nothing?

It is waste of time, so yes, let's get back to our regularly scheduled program...

Edited by Thom

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else still giving FTWD a try, compared to the pilot the last two episodes have been an improvement. I feel like I am watching this simply until Walking Dead returns.

Yes - It has gotten much better IMHO. Only real let down of the bunch was the first 60 minutes of the first episode.