1/60 SV-51

DrunkenPilot72

Well after branching out of the VF-1 line and picking up a VF-0, I've grown attached to the larger valks and I was wondering if Ivanov's SV-51 was ever improved from the initial batch like the VF-1S and VF-0S were. I know that Nora's and the mass produced SV-51s are relatively safe but I never ever hear anything about Ivanov's. Am I still chancing a floppy mess if I order one now?

Well after branching out of the VF-1 line and picking up a VF-0, I've grown attached to the larger valks and I was wondering if Ivanov's SV-51 was ever improved from the initial batch like the VF-1S and VF-0S were. I know that Nora's and the mass produced SV-51s are relatively safe but I never ever hear anything about Ivanov's. Am I still chancing a floppy mess if I order one now?

ivanov's sv has never been re-issued/fixed. it's a shame because it's such a beautiful mecha. sorry dude.

ivanov's sv has never been re-issued/fixed. it's a shame because it's such a beautiful mecha. sorry dude.

Seriously? Wow that sucks, I wonder if that is part of the reason why Ivanov's is the only available SV-51 that isn't currently on sale at Angolz or hlj. I swear it is as if anything baring a skull insignia is cursed to be defective. Barring the recent TV version release of the VF-1S, anything with a skull is a gamble :(

That said, is floppiness the only problem with Ivanov's SV-51? I don't care for displaying transformed valks since it feels somewhat tacky imo so as strictly a fighter plane does Ivanov's SV-51 hold up at all? Can anyone who owns an Ivanov SV-51 shed some more light on the matter?

Well if you don't want to transform them maybe you could look into models, a lot cheaper and easier to find. As majestic as the toys can be I can't justify buying a toy I don't transform for the price they are selling at. That said I only buy transforming macross toys lol.

Well if you don't want to transform them maybe you could look into models, a lot cheaper and easier to find. As majestic as the toys can be I can't justify buying a toy I don't transform for the price they are selling at. That said I only buy transforming macross toys lol.

I know it sounds weird, but to me it isn't authentic Macross if it doesn't transform. Also just because I normally go with the hangar look doesn't mean that I won't have something in Gerwalk or Battroid mode standing around for a change of scenery every now and then.

I know it sounds weird, but to me it isn't authentic Macross if it doesn't transform. Also just because I normally go with the hangar look doesn't mean that I won't have something in Gerwalk or Battroid mode standing around for a change of scenery every now and then.

Nah I know what you mean. A lot of people on the boards only leave their valks in fighter mode.

I actually just picked up an SV-51 Ivanov off of tisinc99.com, I'd never ordered from them before and got relatively equal positive and negative complaints, but they were here in the states and the total with shipping was only about $240. The figure itself, absolutely fine, like everyone else said it was never truly reissued, it's just a luck of the draw, granted it's a very expensive luck of the draw. Your call, I got lucky and have to say this thing is easily my favorite valk I own now, it's truly gorgeous next to the VF-0S.

Very true, I would have bought another if they were fixed. Mine is either in the Box or on display in Fighter only next to Shins 0A!! Not sure if Yamato wants to fix & reissue these, or they just don't know how to solve the problem....

Very true, I would have bought another if they were fixed. Mine is either in the Box or on display in Fighter only next to Shins 0A!! Not sure if Yamato wants to fix & reissue these, or they just don't know how to solve the problem....

sadly my nora has extremely floppy wings. if i flip it upside down they just give up. i'd love to know how to fix it

I owned 2 of these previously. The first one was PERFECT. Nothing wrong. Transformed a few times. Just an excellent toy.

The second one had about a half dozen stress fractures - and was NEVER transformed. Kinda irritating. So, I got rid of it. Honestly, most of the Macross Zero toys I've owned have been kinda iffy.

You can now get it at HLJ for $104 plus $23 shipping if you choose fedex. Unfortunately that's exactly what I did at there last sale and got it. Well, I have to say that it is the worst 1/60 valk I have ever held in my hands. It just plain ugly and feels so damn cheap. I should have gotten a VF-22s or a VF-11B instead.

Edited by Muzaffar

I bought an Ivanov when it was first released and it's been one of my favorite VFs ever since... nothing defective, cheap, broken, or floppy about it; I've had mine on its stand, in fighter mode most of the time (I'm one of those who will transform a new VF toy at least once but prefers fighter to other modes) with the wings fully loaded, except for the boosters, and the wings barely droop at all -- they don't even collapse if you turn the plane upside down unless you shake it. In my opinion, the SV-51 is one of the most distinctive, cool looking, Valkyries Kawamori has ever designed.

Aesthetic sensibilities are very subjective; what some see as ugly, others see as an awesomely aggressivee looking variable fighter with a Russian-esque mien that screams "don't F with me...", and the dark grey on Ivanov's bird only enhances that sense of menace. It is its very "uglyness" that makes it so interesting.

Anyone who is a fan of the design of the SV-51 can't really go wrong with a purchase of Yamato's rendition, specially with the latest sales deals; unless you end up being one of the few who gets a lemon... a sad, however small, possibility with almost any Macross offering by Yamato.

Edited by mechaninac

Foggy how? There's many ways to fix canopies.

they probably used the wrong materials for the clear plastic, it's not "clouded" but simply not clear enough, much like the recycled plastic we sometimes see on samples' clear parts. The Nora version is evidently more transparent.

not a great issue really if you don't look for it, but side by side the Nora version it does show.

Hmm, my Nora is an awesome piece, but regardless of which one you buy, both have the floppy left wing so it's hard to keep them in high maneuverability configuration when fully decked out with boosters and ordnance. I haven't tried transforming DD's and won't be able to until I get settled into my new home in December or late January.

As I mentioned in a few older threads, apart from leg floppiness and droopy wings, my Ivanov's thigh exploded for no reason after the second transformation and I had to send it to Yamato to fix. It was fine for a while, but it happened again recently (after about a year or two) and then I fixed it myself with some carefully placed superglue. It's OK right now, but understand that I no longer transform it very often, so make of that what you will.

EDIT -- I just remmbered that mine was not an isolated incident and others here have mentioned similar thigh breakages (from the inside). Alex mentioned that one of the Ivanovs on display in a shop here in Tokyo also had its leg spontaneously explode.. right there on the showcase, without even having been touched.

When you look inside that leg and realize the tensions and tolerances at work there you will see why this is flawed.

That said, the toy looks awesome when it stays in one piece.

Edited by Renato

Since I acquired the SV-51(s)...

1. Ivanov - Solid since day once. No loose joints. No floppy wings. Excellent toy throughout.

2. Nora - Same as Ivanov. This is one very flambouyant scheme but nice nonetheless.

3. CF - This was completely floppy right out of the box. It was easily remedied by turning the screws back out. Then gripping the halves together while re-tightening everything. Once this was done the CF was as good as Ivanov.

These valkyries are very distinct aesthecially, and very appealing.

It was easily remedied by turning the screws back out. Then gripping the halves together while re-tightening everything.

could you possibly go into more detail about this remedy or post a couple of pics? i would be very interested in more detail

You can now get it at HLJ for $104 plus $23 shipping if you choose fedex. Unfortunately that's exactly what I did at there last sale and got it. Well, I have to say that it is the worst 1/60 valk I have ever held in my hands. It just plain ugly and feels so damn cheap. I should have gotten a VF-22s or a VF-11B instead.

Doh, I just ordered mine last week...they didn't have the Fedex special then. Anyhow, it came yesterday and while I

haven't transformed her yet, one of the wings is floppy. Guess I won't be doing barrel rolls. Also, putting on the

missles was super hard and when they clicked, there were stress marks on the holes.

I just got my friend's SV-51 Ivanov in, it seems fine, granted I'm not transforming his figure. Everything is tight, I unplugged the thighs and they're nice and tight, no wing sag but I didn't put on the boosters, it's still up for grabs on this guy, I'd say go for it if you want one because the price is only going up and they are getting harder to find, and it's pretty obvious they're not re-releasing this guy.