When Frontier is all said and done

mrhillz

If this isn't in the proper forum, please move it to the correct one.

Well,it's possible that movie 2 will the the last of the Macross Frontier storyline. Where do you think Kawamori go next? I would personally like to see Isamu's or Hikaru/Misa's kids in action. I seriously doubt that it would be the latter, since Shoji Kawamori has said at least once that he has no real reason to revisit them, but who knows - maybe he would cave in to fan demand. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sounds sooooooooo Robotech. That's not to say there isn't a precedent in Macross (Nome) but I kinda like that they don't do too much of that and instead have the music be what keeps popping up through generations.. it's kinda real. I think the Nome revival was Kawamori trying to make Macross Zero relevant since it was kind of awwkard and feels like a story he didn't have the time or resources to tell properly.

In the current time line we are already 50 years in to the future. No idea what series placed after Frontier would be about. Maybe some kind of exploration mission outside of our own Galaxy with technology derived of the Varija.

Macross the first animated in the current era could be a very cool idea assuming it won't end up the same way as Gundam Seed.

As a side not, I'm a bit curious about the reception of Macross the First in Japan. Anyone know how well it does in the manga rankings?

SDFM redone? Doubtful. It's already been done (see DYRL).

What's more likely is that we're going to get an OVA series on the further adventures of the main MF characters (precedent has already happened with SDFM (FB2012) and M7 (M7D). What's even more likely, is that once the MF buzz has died down (maybe I should add an 'if'?), we'll see more Macross with similar characters and themes.

Which, I'm not looking forward to, as I was disappointed with the protagonists and antagonists of MF. Maybe I've outgrown the target demographic? For shame!

Which, I'm not looking forward to, as I was disappointed with the protagonists and antagonists of MF. Maybe I've outgrown the target demographic? For shame!

Holy crap, Sketchley. I agree with you wholeheartedly here. I was actually thinking of just coming out and saying it in one of these movie threads: I'm sick of being bombarded by Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka! There, I said it!

I very much love the more "adult" characters in the series. Ozma, Cathy, Klan, and Michael are my faves. I know Michael is 17, but he's wise beyond his years. Honorable mentions go out to Bobby, Captain Wilder, Monica, Kanaria, and I guess Brera... even though Brera was quite a pain in the ass throughout the series.

*exhale* Okay, I said it. I feel better now. :D

Grace is older than the "main 3" characters... :D

Yes, and the um.... "relationship" she had with Leon was kind of interesting. It just didn't get enough of the spotlight, I guess. The way I see it, Leon was messing around with her. I wonder what that would have been like!

It will take place in the past :p ... transforming P-51's, ME109, A6M, P-38's. The subsequent OVA will have Korean War-era jet designs. This is of course just a show within a show that broadcasts on a relatively peaceful colony mission to the Andromeda Galaxy, with actress Ranka "The Green Goblin" Lee throwing temper tantrums on stage.

It will take place in the past :p ... transforming P-51's, ME109, A6M, P-38's. The subsequent OVA will have Korean War-era jet designs.

And let me guess, they wear them on their legs and sprout ears and tails every time they fly ;)

Where do you think Kawamori go next? I would personally like to see Isamu's or Hikaru/Misa's kids in action. I seriously doubt that it would be the latter, since Shoji Kawamori has said at least once that he has no real reason to revisit them

Personally, I think Kawamori will probably stick with his established pattern of leaving a finished story well enough alone and tell the story of a different cast of characters somewhere else in the Macross universe. He could go forward and tell more about Macross's future, or go back and tell stories of what other people were doing during past events (e.g. Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team). I would very much prefer to see Macross avoid imitating Robotech's bad practice of basing everything around the same handful of old characters and requiring that anyone new be their children, an unmentioned sibling, a close friend, or some combination of the three. On the rare occasions that Macross features the children of an established character, there's usually little in the way of connection to their famous antecedents (Komilia and Sheryl) or they're not the show's main character (Mylene and Emilia).

Ooh can we just start throwing out fun ideas? Here's what I'd like to see:

The next Macross should show mankind at some absurdly advanced level. There can be Vajra interactions, superb new weapons, and political intrigue. There could be idols and huge concerts. There'd be friendly Zentran and Meltran interactions. Then, there'd be a war between these human factions with skirmishes. About 70% into the show you'd realize that you hadn't seen any English on any of the text and what you're actually witnessing is the fall of Protoculture. The last several episodes would be mecha pron involving massive war, including the advent and banishing of the Protodevlin, and the show would finally climax with the cast of Protoculture we were familiar with the whole show escaping on some sort of arch leaving the idea that they may have found a safe place out there somewhere.

EDIT - I do realize that they might have to massage our understanding of the development of the Zentraedi a bit to make this work. Oh yeah, and of course the show has to involve the DYRL song in the final episode.

Edited by jenius

Ooh can we just start throwing out fun ideas? Here's what I'd like to see:

The next Macross should show mankind at some absurdly advanced level. There can be Vajra interactions, superb new weapons, and political intrigue. There could be idols and huge concerts. There'd be friendly Zentran and Meltran interactions. Then, there'd be a war between these human factions with skirmishes. About 70% into the show you'd realize that you hadn't seen any English on any of the text and what you're actually witnessing is the fall of Protoculture. The last several episodes would be mecha pron involving massive war, including the advent and banishing of the Protodevlin, and the show would finally climax with the cast of Protoculture we were familiar with the whole show escaping on some sort of arch leaving the idea that they may have found a safe place out there somewhere.

30,000 Survivors

... Searching for a home

......Called Earth.

UAHH! <flash dramatic scenes from this week's ep>

In the year 2XXX AD Grand Admiral Tomas Yung XIV and the separatist fleet are on the verge of defeat in the hands of the New-New-New-UN Spacy armada. Desperate, they steal the Time-Warp capable prototype Super Dimensional Fortress 3 and initiate a warp to the year 1980 A.D. to radically change the course of history.

They made a pit stop in 2006 to pick up their dignity.

Upon arrival, they convince Dr. Kawamori, then a Mechanical Engineering post-doc, to pursue his other life long dream of becoming an expert pastry chef (specializing in Pineapples) instead. Now with history changed, the rest of the separatist fleet also arrives in 1980. This force became known as the "First Grand Litigation Crusade" or the FGLC and establishes its occupation headquarters in South Ataria island. Unaware, the New New New UN Spacy sends its own time-police force to stop Admiral Yung from changing the time space continuum.

In 2009, fully armed, both sides clash in the Pacific with prototype transforming combat lawyers, resulting in untold devastation. Despite heavy casualties, the New-New-New UN Spacy prevails and has surrounded Admiral Yung's garrison, but just as Marissa Nome (great great great grandaughter of Sheryl) is about to sing her victory song, Yung signals for his final wave of reinforcements.

The yellow star over a red background.... The People's Liberation Astro Plan Space Force has arrived.

[Cliffhanger end, credits roll]

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper.

On the rare occasions that Macross features the children of an established character....they're not the show's main character (Mylene and Emilia).

Sure, Mylene's not THE main character, but neither are Sheryl and Ranka. I agree with Emilia, but Mylene is far too important to be touted as evidence for "descendants are background characters".

Sure, Mylene's not THE main character, but neither are Sheryl and Ranka. I agree with Emilia, but Mylene is far too important to be touted as evidence for "descendants are background characters".

I'll agree that Mylene was hardly a background character... but she wasn't the focus of Macross 7's story, and her links to her holdover character parents were tenuous enough that you could remove them from the equation and change her surname without affecting her characterization at all. Remember, I didn't say background character, I said "not the main character". As a secondary lead, Mylene is technically a supporting cast member, but that's splitting hairs...

The point I was trying to get across is thus... the last thing we should want is new characters that rely on being a relative of a preexisting character as a significant part of their appeal. Having every significant character in a long running franchise like that be related or close friends is just bad (and unimaginative) writing. Macross has stayed away from that particular pitfall thus far. It's a bad practice we often associate with Robotech because Robotech's writers used those bad practices frequently to give new characters some appeal (like Marcus Rush, Maia Sterling, Vince Grant, and Janice Em) and give the fans incentive to tolerate the more annoying ones (Dana Sterling, Bowie Grant).

I'll agree that Mylene was hardly a background character... but she wasn't the focus of Macross 7's story, and her links to her holdover character parents were tenuous enough that you could remove them from the equation and change her surname without affecting her characterization at all. Remember, I didn't say background character, I said "not the main character". As a secondary lead, Mylene is technically a supporting cast member, but that's splitting hairs...

From a story point of view Mylene was a co-star at least, the star at best. She grew and changed the most. Basara got a lot of screen time, but so did the tornados in "Twister", that doesn't make them stars... Much of the story was told from Mylene's perspective, not Basara's (whatever that may have been...)

The principle character is typically the one that grows the most. The one who's perspective and world view changes. Essentially if Mylene hadn't changed her selfish ways, there was no way Basara would have had enough power to affect the final battle. He was not strong enough alone. Together he and Mylene changed the course of the war.

The point I was trying to get across is thus... the last thing we should want is new characters that rely on being a relative of a preexisting character as a significant part of their appeal. Having every significant character in a long running franchise like that be related or close friends is just bad (and unimaginative) writing. Macross has stayed away from that particular pitfall thus far. It's a bad practice we often associate with Robotech because Robotech's writers used those bad practices frequently to give new characters some appeal (like Marcus Rush, Maia Sterling, Vince Grant, and Janice Em) and give the fans incentive to tolerate the more annoying ones (Dana Sterling, Bowie Grant).

I can't with argue truth like that...

The American idea is to tether future stories to previous ones, because "apparently" audience's are too stupid to follow along...:rolleyes: Whereas Macross is brave enough to try to venture off with new characters telling a new story in the universe, with each production adding to the lore of the PC. The hollywood machine has become so corporate that innovation doesn't exist anymore. Indie films are the avante guard of cultural cinema and hollywood is nothing but ivory towers of copycats...<_<

Suggested it before and I'll suggest it again. A good future Macross story could be Humanity discovering that the Protoculture are not as extinct as they were led to believe. This becomes especially plausible the further Humanity spreads through the universe..

Taksraven

Suggested it before and I'll suggest it again. A good future Macross story could be Humanity discovering that the Protoculture are not as extinct as they were led to believe. This becomes especially plausible the further Humanity spreads through the universe..

Taksraven

Personally I'd like a run in with a Supervision Army fleet somewhere near the center of the Galaxy...

I would rather not have the next Macross project tie in with existing characters outside of vague references (Focker piloting award, a picture of Sheryl on some obscure magazine in the background, etc). It would be weird to break the Macross tradition of either seeing your favorite character violently killed off in a blaze of glory or simply never hearing from them ever again after the end of their series. So far Roy, Max, and Milia are the only characters to appear in different eras and I'd like it to stay that way.

Besides, I can't be the only person here who didn't like Frontier :p

I would rather not have the next Macross project tie in with existing characters outside of vague references (Focker piloting award, a picture of Sheryl on some obscure magazine in the background, etc). It would be weird to break the Macross tradition of either seeing your favorite character violently killed off in a blaze of glory or simply never hearing from them ever again after the end of their series. So far Roy, Max, and Milia are the only characters to appear in different eras and I'd like it to stay that way.

Exsedol's head is not amused...

Besides, I can't be the only person here who didn't like Frontier :p

Heretic...

Uh-huh... of course, if you take the implications Kenichi Yatagai was dropping in his B-Club interview at face value, they might have already done that. Mind you, I think it's still a bad idea given our more recent picture of what the Protoculture stand for... it'd take away all their mystique by making them a known quantity.

Personally I'd like a run in with a Supervision Army fleet somewhere near the center of the Galaxy...

in the previous TV series that's been out to even discuss the Protocultures, have they even mentioned the Supervision Army or the Inspection Forces? this subject is like Lucusfilms junk: they made it up as they went along... in some cases, discarding somethings...

did the SA & IF go away as well as to simply be replaced with the Zentradi/Meltrani serving the Protocultures, per DYRL (they can't be one & the same since the concept predates DYRL)... when they made up the SA & IF, what was their real-world insperation at that time (1980-81?) The US & USSR, perhaps?

It's been a long time since I've seen Macross7 but isn't the Varuta army the second-coming of the Supervision Army? I think we don't hear about the Supervision Army in its original form any more because the Zentraedi were going around stomping its remnants out of existence.

Edited by jenius

Uh-huh... of course, if you take the implications Kenichi Yatagai was dropping in his B-Club interview at face value, they might have already done that. Mind you, I think it's still a bad idea given our more recent picture of what the Protoculture stand for... it'd take away all their mystique by making them a known quantity.

Yeah, so what? Humanity could discover that as a race they don't live up to the legends, or maybe they go far beyond what Humanity knows.

That or a massive invasion of super intelligent hippo-cows......

Taksraven

in the previous TV series that's been out to even discuss the Protocultures, have they even mentioned the Supervision Army or the Inspection Forces?

Yeah, the subject of the Supervision Army gets dragged up in the Macross 7 TV series during Exsedol's discussion about the history of the Protoculture and the Protodeviln on Rax/Lux. Also, isn't "Inspection Forces" just a bad translation of "Supervision Army"?

did the SA & IF go away as well as to simply be replaced with the Zentradi/Meltrani serving the Protocultures, per DYRL (they can't be one & the same since the concept predates DYRL)... when they made up the SA & IF, what was their real-world insperation at that time (1980-81?) The US & USSR, perhaps?

Obviously not, since the creation of the Supervision Army is touched on in a show that came out ten years after DYRL?, and the timelines in Macross Chronicle and on the Macross Compendium still use them. The Zentradi vs Meltrandi thing is, IIRC, part of the propaganda aspect of the in-universe DYRL.

Yeah, so what? Humanity could discover that as a race they don't live up to the legends, or maybe they go far beyond what Humanity knows.

Either way, it sounds rather anticlimactic and it takes all the mystery out of them...

Edited by Seto Kaiba