Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

You didn't HAVE to do any of that unless it was part of the tutorial. Switching the controls to original made it fly just like any other AC game. DFM is unique and I like it. You're not required to use it, but it makes it a lot harder to kill "aces" if you don't. As for the escape maneuvers, again, not something that was required and that part certainly wasn't any harder if you didn't use it.

The only thing I could do without as you said before is the camera splatter.

However I'm not sure if that's what you're thinking is going to cater to blood/gore/splatter gamers? It all looked like oil to me.

Edited by Chewie

You didn't HAVE to do any of that unless it was part of the tutorial. Switching the controls to original made it fly just like any other AC game. DFM is unique and I like it. You're not required to use it, but it makes it a lot harder to kill "aces" if you don't. As for the escape maneuvers, again, not something that was required and that part certainly wasn't any harder if you didn't use it.

The only thing I could do without as you said before is the camera splatter.

However I'm not sure if that's what you're thinking is going to cater to blood/gore/splatter gamers? It all looked like oil to me.

No, you ARE forced to use it, and that's what pissed me off so much. I spent over 200 missiles on those planes, and put arguably thousands of cannon rounds into them. They never went down until I used the close up view. We're talking, the plane is on fire, I see pieces flying off it, it's a flaming hulk, and should not be flying. But it wouldn't let me kill it without the camera view. I used every missile of every type I had, and ran my cannon on it until the mission ended from being out of time, and nothing worked.

Now, whether this is something that only applies to the demo and/or tutorial remains to be seen, but the way they presented the camera mode in the tutorial was that it will be required, as it was for the demo. Perhaps if the fans raise a big enough ruckus, they'll make it purely optional, but as of right now, it looks like they intend to force it on us for triggering plot events.

After all.. it's really easy to script cutscenes if the path you fly is on rails. dry.gif

As for catering to the gore fans.. yes, it's oil, but with aircraft it's about as close as you can get. Doesn't mean it's trying to appeal to anything other than fans of that type of "detail." It just comes off as a cheap grab for attention from players who don't give half a rat's ass about aircraft games.

Edited by Chronocidal

No, you ARE forced to use it, and that's what pissed me off so much. I spent over 200 missiles on those planes, and put arguably thousands of cannon rounds into them. They never went down until I used the close up view. We're talking, the plane is on fire, I see pieces flying off it, it's a flaming hulk, and should not be flying. But it wouldn't let me kill it without the camera view. I used every missile of every type I had, and ran my cannon on it until the mission ended from being out of time, and nothing worked.

Now, whether this is something that only applies to the demo and/or tutorial remains to be seen, but the way they presented the camera mode in the tutorial was that it will be required, as it was for the demo. Perhaps if the fans raise a big enough ruckus, they'll make it purely optional, but as of right now, it looks like they intend to force it on us for triggering plot events.

After all.. it's really easy to script cutscenes if the path you fly is on rails. dry.gif

As for catering to the gore fans.. yes, it's oil, but with aircraft it's about as close as you can get. Doesn't mean it's trying to appeal to anything other than fans of that type of "detail." It just comes off as a cheap grab for attention from players who don't give half a rat's ass about aircraft games.

Just played the other mission...

Auto leveling.. Bad.(can probably be turned off)

The zooming in to shoot down continuously is ok at first but after awhile I wondered why this was the only way I could take down a plane.

I'm on the fence.

The ejection seat part was pretty cool.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Yeah, I don't like how it FORCES you to go into dogfight mode before you can destroy certain planes, just because they want to show you some neat cinematics. Also, even with controls switched to originals, I still hate them.....the whole thing feels on-rails, which is just wrong for an Ace Combat game.

Also, sorry if this has been addressed before, but why do I BOUNCE off when I hit the water...?

Speaking of AC3, THAT is an ace combat game that needs a remake. If Namco wants to freshen up the current franchise, bring in the Sci-fi futuristic elements of that game instead of forcing in new gameplay mechanics that aren't necessary.

The world Needs Electrosphere with modern HD graphics and it's original story intact.

This message is approved by Rena Hirose

rena.jpg

I think the main reason Project Aces made a rebirth with Assault Horizon was because 6 didn't do so hot. Part of this imho, is because it wasn't on PS3, the other because some of the missions were just too damn long and allied assault didn't help much.

The crew did play COD and HAWX, what I think they're aiming for here is an Ace Combat to bury HAWX with the up close and personal aspect from COD.

Ultimately I think it'll boil down to this. Did they succeed in surpassing HAWX? Yes. Did they succeed in making a great game worthy of baring the title Ace Combat? That's what'll be a good subject for debate.

My main worries now is that the campaign will be too short. I could be wrong. I hope it's semi dynamic...I liked unlocking alternate missions in previous games. Also I have a feeling the upgrade system from the PSP games won't be in it, but will instead be in Cross Rumble.

The steel carnage thing, with regards to that, I did read a while back that a lot of Japanese developers are trying to either cater more to the western market/audience, and/or take more influence/inspiration from them, and this explains the COD influence on CRA/steel carnage.

The western market/audience needs to shove it. I'm really fairly sick of everything they seem to find fun, which is why I've been looking so hard at foreign games. For instance.. just because zombie massacre games are popular does not mean you remake every game to cater to that audience. Just wait. We already have zombies thrown in absolutely unrelated material like Pride and Prejudice.. The next AC game will probably take place during World War Z.

Yeesh. It's like the game industry is joined at the hip to Hollywood (which, really, they pretty much are), and caught the same disease causing an absolute lack of creativity.

Honestly.. the bottom line here is that trying to give a more "up close and personal" feel to air combat is the like trying to mow your lawn with a bowling pin: it doesn't make any freaking sense whatsoever. Air combat is the most detached and long distance type of warfare on earth, short of using ICBMs. In the modern battlefield, if you ever even get within visual range of an enemy aircraft, it's because something has gone terribly, horribly wrong.

Steel carnage" needs to burn like the debris it generates, and choke on it like the engines of any aircraft would from that kind of crap in the airstream.

Edited by Chronocidal

I think the main reason Project Aces made a rebirth with Assault Horizon was because 6 didn't do so hot. Part of this imho, is because it wasn't on PS3, the other because some of the missions were just too damn long and allied assault didn't help much.

The problem with 6 was that they spent so much time making everything look super pretty for the move to HD graphics, they ran out of time to actually make a finished game before it shipped. Even though the levels were long the game as a whole was way too short; there where like 9 missions 8 of which were ground attack. They also had one of the shortest aircraft rosters in the entire series and this was right after AC Zero which had a huge number or unique aircraft models including 3 super-planes and every plane had 5~7 paint schemes each.

In the modern battlefield, if you ever even get within visual range of an enemy aircraft, it's because something has gone terribly, horribly wrong.

have you ever actually played an Ace Combat game before in your life?

Ahh, I wish they would remake ace combat zero: the belkan war. I loved the epic dogfights fought by Cipher and Pixy, and the AWESOME stories that went alongside each of them. Those were the days that real aces existed (lmao), not in the modern day with warwolf 1, who seemingly can't shoot down a plane simply because he HAS to follow cinematic cues <_<

Ahh, I wish they would remake ace combat zero: the belkan war. I loved the epic dogfights fought by Cipher and Pixy, and the AWESOME stories that went alongside each of them. Those were the days that real aces existed (lmao), not in the modern day with warwolf 1, who seemingly can't shoot down a plane simply because he HAS to follow cinematic cues <_<

Interestingly enough, the president of Sony Japan was talking about how well the HD collections are being received, being looked at as a win/win package for both game companies and fans. With AC4, 5, and Zero arguably being the most popular Ace Combat games created, and given that HD collections on PS3 are doing well so far, and that the aforementioned trilogy was on PS2, I think an HD collection is likely.

I would also LOVE to see an HD collection of X and Joint Assault. X had horrid dubbing, but both might look good in HD, and possibly benefit from the R3 button, the same way the HD Peacewalker will in the US MGS HD Collection. If AH bombs, and HD collection with Joint Assault would be a good fallback, that game is fairly in depth.

Did it ever bother anyone that the F-14 in Ace Combat 4 and 5 swepth it's wings too fast?

Salivating for Ace Combat Unsung War HD Collection.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

have you ever actually played an Ace Combat game before in your life?

I'm talking real life in this particular case. Ace Combat in the past has taken what I think are acceptible shortcuts with this, due to the fact that no one wants to be flying around staring at a radar screen for all your info, and launching missiles 10-50 miles away. That's generally how -actual- air combat tactics work. AC has usually taken the approach Top Gun and other aircraft movies do, condensing the battlefield fo fit on a screeen. It's essentially applying classic WWI-WWII combat tactics to modern aircraft, and in general, gun ranges have always seemed relatively accurate, even if the missiles would never have time to track at the ranges they're fired at.

In most cases, the only reason you'd ever be close enough to even recognize paint schemes on an aircraft is due to various conflict's rules of engagement.

With this game, they seem to be going with the "Don't shoot until you see the whites of the pilot's eyes" method. Forget fitting the battle on a screen, you're so close you can't even see around your own aircraft to ID the target. <_<

I usually dont post much, but since I love Ace Combat I had to this time. I agree that this whole CRA is just a gimick and feels, at least to me, as something they should have just left out. It was fun the first few times I did it in the demo but then it pissed me off that I couldnt shoot down ace planes without it. So really my now I wonder not how good/bad Assault Horizon will be, but what reaction Namco will have if the reviews criticize CRA. Would they then revert back to the way things were in 4,5, and 6 or keep going with this new "FPS" direction? Story wise though I think the plot sounds interesting and I like having a main character that I can actually relate to.

I don't get the fps "feel" you guys keep referring to.

I don't think that some oil splatter is even remotely catering to a different genre of gamer. That's on the top of the list of dumbest things I've ever heard.

Back to the DFM being required, I'll have to go back in and play it a few more times. The last few times I played, I was shooting down all planes at distance with special weapons and only had issue when the demo/tutorial phase specifically pointed someone out or when my wingmen were chattering about a certain entry on the battlefield. Short of that, it was AC business as usual.

I also felt the reaction commands were cool and again, different in a good way. FPS' aren't the only games to feature those either.

My biggest complaint, which is something already pointed out, is that compared to other games and for being a Namco game it is very flat feeling and looks only "so-so" when it comes to the environment.

What I mean about FPS feel is that you get almost nose to tail with the guy and then blast him while on a rail, barely adjusting your sights to keep them on target. If I didnt have to use the CRA to do this and had to manuver all on my own I wouldnt mind the cinematics of seeing the jet I just fragged breaking up. And in the demo read the text when you encounter the first enemy leader plane. It talks about how difficult it is to shoot them down without CRA. I tried without it and spent 8 to 10 missiles apiece on leader planes trying to down them without luck and the only time I could down them was using CRA.

Zero doesn't need a remake, the game itself is perfect as is, All they need to do is add in hi-res textures and more detailed models so it looks as good as 6 did.

I would also LOVE to see an HD collection of X and Joint Assault. X had horrid dubbing, but both might look good in HD, and possibly benefit from the R3 button, the same way the HD Peacewalker will in the US MGS HD Collection. If AH bombs, and HD collection with Joint Assault would be a good fallback, that game is fairly in depth.

And let it be cross platform please, I want to play X and Joint assault but I don't want to get PSP (or a PS3 for that matter).

Did it ever bother anyone that the F-14 in Ace Combat 4 and 5 swepth it's wings too fast?

nope, AC games are all eye candy. I never cared if it was realistic as long as it looked good.

Zero doesn't need a remake, the game itself is perfect as is, All they need to do is add in hi-res textures and more detailed models so it looks as good as 6 did.

That's essentially what would happen if the game were made into HD, plus the addition of trophies and leaderboards.

Tomcat to me always looks best with wings spread or midspread. They seem to sweep too fast in 4 and 5, 6 had it good.

Anyways, those of you who dislike CRA/DFM, would you like the game if those could be disabled in the final game? For me using those made the game kind of exciting.

I admit, I probably would still like and buy it if that wasn't required, but it's not like Namdai is going to change it now (it sounds better than Banco :p).

If it turns out that you don't need it, I'll eagerly grab a copy, but given the way it's treated in the demo, I sincerely doubt you'll be able to play the game without having to rely on the splatter cam.

Main reason is this: if they went to the trouble to make all those close-up explosion cutscenes, and all those scripted mission events having you fly through high-rise buildings, you don't honestly think they're going to let you beat the mission the way you want to beat it, do you? <_<

You can't finish the demo mission without using the camera, because otherwise you never trigger the ending event cutscene. I must have blown away an hour of my life trying to destroy the last plane manually, only to find out it wasn't going to die unless I engaged him in cutscene mode.

Also, I can't really put into words what I felt when I saw the ad in Gamestop yesterday for the pre-order bonus (letting you fly an F-4)... Actually, yes I can put it into words. But they are not fit for hearing by any human being, and I know a good number of sailors who would blush, cringe, and shield their groins in fear if I were to utter them aloud.

DLC can go #$(*& the @#$% and #$*$#) itself in the #$)#$&* to #$)#($*# fire hydrant #$#)$ with a @#$)(*$ winnebago #$#&@ $#$$#) and #$)#$* in the #$)@#* with $#$#)#$* scientologist %#$$*#) #$#$)#*( through #$)#$#)* in the head.

Well, I haven't played the demo but from what I've gathered the player assumes the role of a "certain" pilot right? The same pilot that has the nightmare in the trailer? The same one who appears on the friggin box?!!! I DON'T LOOK LIKE HIM AT ALL!!!

STABB YOUR EYES NAMCO!!!! :angry: For years I've enjoyed Ace Combat franchise because as the player I assume the role of a fighter pilot;an unnamed,unseen,unheard fighter pilot. I wasn't playing a specific character,I was being me. Mobius 1 that's me! Wardog 1 that's me! Galm 1 that's friggin me!!!! I loved the idea of playing the part of a fighter pilot in a squardron.

In my mind while I'm playing the game, that's me in the cockpit, not some character that Namco wants me to play! I'm still looking forward to the game and I will buy it, only I hope Namco includes a free mission mode so I can be me and not col. whoever I'm supposed to play as!!!! :angry:

Well, I haven't played the demo but from what I've gathered the player assumes the role of a "certain" pilot right? The same pilot that has the nightmare in the trailer? The same one who appears on the friggin box?!!! I DON'T LOOK LIKE HIM AT ALL!!!

STABB YOUR EYES NAMCO!!!! :angry: For years I've enjoyed Ace Combat franchise because as the player I assume the role of a fighter pilot;an unnamed,unseen,unheard fighter pilot. I wasn't playing a specific character,I was being me. Mobius 1 that's me! Wardog 1 that's me! Galm 1 that's friggin me!!!! I loved the idea of playing the part of a fighter pilot in a squardron.

In my mind while I'm playing the game, that's me in the cockpit, not some character that Namco wants me to play! I'm still looking forward to the game and I will buy it, only I hope Namco includes a free mission mode so I can be me and not col. whoever I'm supposed to play as!!!! :angry:

I too liked the player character being an unamed and vocalized person, not so much because I wanted to "be" him, but rather, just having a silent, misterious protagonist made the game that much more interesting, and the characters even more than down to earth pilots.

Demon King of the Round Table anyone? lol

After playing the demo I think I'll skip this AC. The whole close combat thing being mandatory to killing the aces is a big turn off for me. I hope it was just mandatory for the demo so they could show off their "steel carnage". You can put me on the list of people that want an HD release of AC 4,5 and Zero.

After playing the demo I think I'll skip this AC. The whole close combat thing being mandatory to killing the aces is a big turn off for me. I hope it was just mandatory for the demo so they could show off their "steel carnage". You can put me on the list of people that want an HD release of AC 4,5 and Zero.

Question: in the ps3 demo can you still use the triangle button to track your current target? That was my favorite feature!!

That option is still there in the Xbox demo, but they borked it up something awful. In exterior view, the camera does track your target, but it also zooms in so close to your own aircraft that it fills the screen, and you can't even see your target.

It's slightly better in the cockpit view, but honestly, the padlock view is much better in aircraft with some sort of canopy frame to use as a reference point. The F-22's huge bubble dome canopy has no reference point to keep you aware of which way you're facing, and it's pretty disorienting. And since they tend to severely restrict how far you can move your head in cockpit view (can't have you looking down into the cockpit and see they were too lazy to actually model it), your view tends to get stuck at the limits of how far it can move.

That option is still there in the Xbox demo, but they borked it up something awful. In exterior view, the camera does track your target, but it also zooms in so close to your own aircraft that it fills the screen, and you can't even see your target.

It's slightly better in the cockpit view, but honestly, the padlock view is much better in aircraft with some sort of canopy frame to use as a reference point. The F-22's huge bubble dome canopy has no reference point to keep you aware of which way you're facing, and it's pretty disorienting. And since they tend to severely restrict how far you can move your head in cockpit view (can't have you looking down into the cockpit and see they were too lazy to actually model it), your view tends to get stuck at the limits of how far it can move.

Was there a mission replay? :)

The YF-23 and F-15S/TMD will be added as DLC. Others include Kawamori's Shinden II, Tornado GR3, and Harrier II Plus.

Wish there was a dlc for planes "everyone forgot but noone wants but me"

F-8E Crusader

F-4J Phantom II

F-5E Tiger II

F-20 Tigershark

A-4M Mongoose(and/or A-4AR)

YF-17 Cobra

NATF

F-105 Thunderchief

A-7 Corsair

I'd rather the developers quit trying to figure out every single way they can to squeeze more money out of the people buying the games. Remember when games came complete when you bought them?

The hilarious thing was when hawx tried to do DLC.. and then made a PC release. Modders figured out how to unlock the extra content within a few days, and the developers quickly banned anyone who mentioned this from the developer forums on Ubisoft's website. Officially, the PC version never even got the extra content released. Once the mod was spread, they gave up. Yeahh... that dev team had some serious issues with understanding the differences between consoles and PCs.

It's why I generally prefer PC games.. the fans will ALWAYS find ways to improve on what the developers have done. Even hawx got a lot better after the players got past all the WTF from when they tried to play it.

I just want DLC to freaking die already. Expansions, I can understand. Charging me $5 just so I can fly a plane that's been in all the previous games? Not a chance in hell.

Edited by Chronocidal

Finally got around to doing the demo helicopter mission----liked it a lot. Strangely, reminded me more of "classic" AC (4/5/0 than the jet demo. Why? Because I always felt a big part of AC was being "involved" in a battle---despite all the dogfighting, you always spent more time and took out more targets on the ground. And a LOT of it was supporting allied infantry etc--you could watch all the tanks etc roll across the battle lines in direct response to your efforts.

The helicopter is even more so---now it's on the person-by-person level at times.

Also, I'm thinking the demo is at least a BIT un-representative, as on both levels, you cannot even do some basic things until they show you how---just try using AMRAAMs on the first few enemies. (plus, the scripted enemy kills---I followed one Flanker PEFECTLY and pumped about 8 missiles into him, plus continuous cose-range guns--but he didn't die until he got to the spot he always does) So the demo can't be exactly like most of the missions.

I've just finished playing the demo and to me it seems like NAMCO decieded that they did not want any Ace Combat fan to blow through this game! Whatever knowledge or skills you might have built up over the years playing the previous installments, will do you little good here. The enemy pilots have now mastered the art of "flying so slow that you stall in order to get them in front of you" and "flying constantly beneath you". Engaging the closs range combat and firing the gun gets sooo confusing especially when flying between the buildings. Smoke from your guns,debris from the enemy plane,and the destruction from the buildings all gets jumbled together and sometimes I forgot that I was flying a plane!!!! Getting shot down and having to eject was a nice touch though. I played the helicoptor mission only twice and got shot down both times. I still want this game however only if they have an "original mode" that lets you play the game without the close combat. :)

Edited by aerocombatpilot