Official 1/100 BANDAI Hi-Metal VF-1S Valkyrie with Strike Parts

Actar

I thought we only just entered the "true" golden age of Macross (since the last 2 years or so), and what a ride, all coming to an end? :p

Bah, i've been in catch up mode for the last year and a half, they were releasing way too much too close to each other, talk about saturated.

Shoji will probably bring out a new ova/series in the next few years, wonder if he will choose bandai agaiin, or yamato perchance.

I want a VF-4... 2012 we got a full year and a half. :p

I consider we have been in the true golden age of Macoss toys for the last 8 years or so already. And unfortunately, that golden age will probably draw to a close in the next 2-3 years.

It's not up to Kawamori-san, who makes the toys for a new series/OVA. That depends which company wants to pay the most to Big West for the toy rights.

In the case of Frontier, Bandai got the exclusive toy rights, as they were the main financial sponsor for the show.

Graham

Thanks!

Do you mean the Strike cannon? Yes it can rotate to near 90 degree to the front.

Is the jollyrogers on his heatshield a sticker or is that tampo'd on? I'm hoping that's a sticker because it looks like it's waaay too high on the heatshield.

I think that's how they are supposed to be though, 1 side upside down, the other, upright. ff95gj, how is the quality of the figure overall? Easy to attach the FAST packs?

Yeah, but from the pictures it looks like it's upside down (or upright depending on how you look at it :lol:) on both sides. No big deal though, I just ordered one anyways. Only VF-1s I own are the 1/48 Low-Vis and an old 1/55, so I figured it's about time to expand on that a bit.

The backpacks holds okay, but there seems to be no mechanism to hold it.

The super parts attach easily. And because they are light, I don't have problem in handling.

One bad thing I don't like is that one of the wings is floppy (same as my 1J) and the front foot detaches when I transform it.

The skull is tampo'ed on. That's my second complaint too. I mean, I would like it lower in the torso.

Edited by ff95gj

how much did it cost in hk?

does it come with the base?

lastly, does it come with decal sheets?

Around US$65

Nope... Bandai wants to sell its only stands, you know.

And no for the decal sheets too... Right, my other complaint is about lack of decal sheets. The head is missing the red dot, the leg armours have no UNSPACY tampo'ed on it, which I thought can be handled easily with a decal sheet if Bandai is too lazy to do. Hell, no decal sheet.

Around US$65

Nope... Bandai wants to sell its only stands, you know.

And no for the decal sheets too... Right, my other complaint is about lack of decal sheets. The head is missing the red dot, the leg armours have no UNSPACY tampo'ed on it, which I thought can be handled easily with a decal sheet if Bandai is too lazy to do. Hell, no decal sheet.

demet, no decals.. so thats the reason i dont see the UN SPACY on the leg booster. good thing i stored the decal stickers of my toynami 1/100.

skimpy move bandai...though ill still buy this.

It's too bad that most of these are going to be web exclusives. That means we are going to have to pay through the nose to get them.

Do you think there's a chance BanDai will do 1/100 enemy mech to go with this series? I seriously doubt it. What's the saying? Non transformable mech doesn't sell? Still, one can hope.

I wouldn't say it's lame that this toy has no decal sheets (I hate decal sheets). Instead I'd say it's lame that Bandai stopped just a tiny bit short on an otherwise superb tampo job.

I very much agree. The skulls on the tailfins and the heatshield (though I would like this one printed lower) and the backpacks are nice and clean. I can't understand how difficult it is to tampo the unspacy thing on the leg armor and also the red camera/dot thing on the head. Oh the head arrows too! As a battroid guy, the head script and details are crucial to me.

Edited by ff95gj

how much part swapping do you have to do? I know my toynami's have a crap ton of parts, though not as much as the vf100's vf25f that I have (I learned to hate partformers on that one, little turd-burglar broke at the hip on me, and I cant fix it.) Also, I'm interested to know, how close to a perfect transformation is it? I-I gotsta know!

also gotta say, very clean looking fighter mode, nice and proportional just like my Yamato ver2

how much part swapping do you have to do? I know my toynami's have a crap ton of parts, though not as much as the vf100's vf25f that I have (I learned to hate partformers on that one, little turd-burglar broke at the hip on me, and I cant fix it.) Also, I'm interested to know, how close to a perfect transformation is it? I-I gotsta know!

also gotta say, very clean looking fighter mode, nice and proportional just like my Yamato ver2

You technically don't have to swap any parts for the transformation, but for a better looking battroid you'd need to swap out the canopy (this is a must :lol:) and the air intakes. The landing gear is not integrated, so while you aren't swapping it with any part you do need to store it when it's not in use. The gunpod also needs a handle attached for the battroid to hold it.

collectionDX's video review of the VF-1J that shows the transformation starting at about 3 minutes in. Edited by Keiichi

I think I'll stick to 1/60 Yamatos. Interesting toy, looks outstanding compared to the Toynami, but, I hate extra parts. I have spent most of my free time building models and fixing cars, extra parts make me feel like I forgot something...

Very nice toys, but like others have said, I'll stick to my 1/60 Yamato's as well. Between the need to swap parts, the too-high skull emblem, and the "different-looking" head, I'm just not ready to put my money on the counter for it. It's only slightly cheaper than a 1/60 Yamato, but is substantially smaller in size.

That said, if I had a lot of spare cash (which I currently don't), I'd pick it up. From what I've seen, it looks more poseable than a Yammie, and the size makes it perfect for a desktop ornament/plaything.

I must say, very impressive indeed. I'm almost tempted to order one, but I can't get over the floppy backpack, especially with the SP's on. That coupled with the high Jolly Roger on the heat shield, the lack of tampo on the leg armor, and the price, I think I'll stick with my 1/60 Yammies for now. However, It'd be nice to have one on the desk, and it should go well with Toynami's Vinyl Battlepods...I might break down and pick one up anyhow.

mm, I must be shopping at the wrong places as the Hi-Metal was substantially cheaper than any V.2 1/60s I've seen. $55 at AmiAmi for a Hi-Metal VF-1S with Super/Strike parts, compared to the ~$90 asking price I've seen for most 1/60 VF-1s alone. Of course, I can certainly understand skipping the line if you already own a squadron of Yammie 1/60s.

The VF19 Hi-Metal was intriguing, but it had some irreconcilable issues for me. If they would correct those I'd get one, but, I already have Four VF1's don't want/need any more. Besides, I told my friend that if I buy another toy in the next 8 months, he can whoop my arse. So I must hold off for the sake of my bones...