Official 1/100 BANDAI Hi-Metal VF-1S Valkyrie with Strike Parts

Actar

Been playing with my Hi-Metal VF-1S since early January (late Christmas gift) and I gotta say this thing is almost perfect in Battroid mode (apart from the high backpack). I think I prefer the Yamato overall, especially for looks. But the Hi-Metal has it beat in terms of playability and ease of transformation (apart from the parts swapping).

Been playing with my Hi-Metal VF-1S since early January (late Christmas gift) and I gotta say this thing is almost perfect in Battroid mode (apart from the high backpack). I think I prefer the Yamato overall, especially for looks. But the Hi-Metal has it beat in terms of playability and ease of transformation (apart from the parts swapping).

I still don't understand the complaint about part swapping, the only thing that NEEDS to be swapped that doesn't on yamato valks is the heat shield. On yamatos you still have to swap the intakes out, and to be honest the hi-metal is less of a pain in the ass then yamatos tend to be.

It's not a big deal but it is a complaint. On the Yamato, just like on the Hi-Metal, I usually just leave the intake covers on. But because the Hi-Metal requires you to swap the heat shield I always have to go get the heat shield or canopy when I want to switch between Fighter and Battroid. It's a bit of an inconvenience which the Yamato doesn't have. It would even be better if the heat shield just covered the canopy, instead of having to take off the canopy then put on the heat shield. But, it's a minor complaint. Like I said the Hi-Metal has the overall easier transformation. But that one thing is a bit more convenient on the Yamato.

Thanks to Jenius for the review, I was waiting for that. I have the 1J and love it, but have been on the fence regarding the 1S for the longest time. Argh, I think I will get it, actually. These guys are just too damn fun, and the only Roy I have is actually a flimsy Banpresto crying for an update. ^_^

Thanks to Jenius for the review, I was waiting for that. I have the 1J and love it, but have been on the fence regarding the 1S for the longest time. Argh, I think I will get it, actually. These guys are just too damn fun, and the only Roy I have is actually a flimsy Banpresto crying for an update. ^_^

I'm probably going to buy one too, eventually, I dig the sculpt and from what I read, they are very easy to transform while being very fun to pose. I love highly poseable battroid modes! Plus the way the vertical stabilizers/backpack are arranged in fighter mode...it seems different to me but it looks good.

the metal content is not bad for its small size. the 1/55 had metal inner leg parts, landing gear and swingbar. yamatos have next to none.

The big shoulder hinges were also metal on the 1/55, and don't forget that that thing was loaded with springs everywhere, too. :p

Anyway, I got my Hi-Metal Strike today, and I love it. Little nitpicks like the lack of normal missiles, round hands and the issue of the too-high chest skull placement aside, it's probably my favourite VF-1 toy.

Well, no, I guess I still love the 1/48s, but it's still really amazing what they can do at this size.

Yamato's 1/60 V1 had metal lower legs, it didn't make it a greater toy though... I'm glad they kept the metal on the feet and the main hinge, where it's the most useful. Their excellent Hi-metal VF-19 shares this feature, and I bet this is to be expected if any more VFs were released in this line in the future (which sadly I've come to doubt)

Tempted to grab the Blazer too, as Yodobashi Akiba's having them on sale for 5k-odd yen.

I saw those today, actually, while I was getting my Gunbuster Revoltech. I dunno, I think they can go even lower. 5000 is still not that cheap IMO.

Well today I canceled my pre-order on my Hikaru VF-1A Hi-Metal, but kept Kakizaki and Max. I plan on repainting both to TV colors, I've already started repainting my 1S Roy to pure white TV colors, I'd rather have a TV vermilion squad, plus the Kakizaki comes with the sleeve so I can have all of my TV vermilion in one box for when I move after graduation. I really don't want to repaint these already beautiful figures, but damnit I can't just HOPE we get TV releases, I'll do it myself. And of course my three strike packs are still on pre-order, gotta give em all that super upgrade!

Well today I canceled my pre-order on my Hikaru VF-1A Hi-Metal, but kept Kakizaki and Max. I plan on repainting both to TV colors, I've already started repainting my 1S Roy to pure white TV colors, I'd rather have a TV vermilion squad, plus the Kakizaki comes with the sleeve so I can have all of my TV vermilion in one box for when I move after graduation. I really don't want to repaint these already beautiful figures, but damnit I can't just HOPE we get TV releases, I'll do it myself. And of course my three strike packs are still on pre-order, gotta give em all that super upgrade!

Question; if your going to completely repaint the things, why spend extra money on a pair of limited online exclusives? You could just buy 2 Hikaru 1A's for less and paint them up the same way. the toys themselves are completely identical and the boxes aren't going to match anyways (DYRL? art instead of TV art).

Post some pictures once you finish! I'd love to see the end result.

Question; if your going to completely repaint the things, why spend extra money on a pair of limited online exclusives? You could just buy 2 Hikaru 1A's for less and paint them up the same way. the toys themselves are completely identical and the boxes aren't going to match anyways (DYRL? art instead of TV art).

I pre-ordered all the 1A's for the same price, I know the box art won't match any of it, I just thought I might as well make Max Max and Kakizaki Kakizaki. My pre-order has been locked in for weeks so I couldn't have changed it even if I wanted to anyway.

Hmm.. The Hikaru 1A is also exclusive.

Hmm.. The Hikaru 1A is also exclusive.

Exactly they were all exclusive so it really didn't matter which pre-order I canceled and which Pre-orders I kept, I just wanted to have a Kakizaki box for Kakizaki and Max box for Max, even though these guys will be TV in DYRL boxes.

oh... well in that case, WTF BANDAI? They're seriously making every VF-1A an exclusive? :wacko:

Yep. Not a single one of them is a normal production release~

I would guess maybe they'll make TV series VF-1A hi metals later, but who the hell knows? Bandai is king of the "spinning dartboard" method of selecting new toy designs.

Edited by RyuRoots

Yep. Not a single one of them is a normal production release~

I would guess maybe they'll make TV series VF-1A hi metals later, but who the hell knows? Bandai is king of the "spinning dartboard" method of selecting new toy designs.

Wait, spinning dartboard + what good rated mecha show currently airing :lol: Bandai merchandising for "what that anime show about pretty boy of the galaxy and its drag queen of a robot that only works in alternate dimension" is off the chart.

Bandai limited merchandises always comes with questions and raised eye brow. Instead of a Regult, they make the whole squadron an exclusive.