Nerdiest Macross Moment :P

Vepariga

ok,we've all had our moments im sure, like dressing as jedi's to express your SW fandom, this thread could be quite fun,weather you ever quoted a character to someone in normal conversation,did some action or infiltrating a airbase to paint UN Spacy on AirForce fighters,or talking to characters/wingman from Macross on PSP.

Whats your most geek-out moment of Macross!

for me,i can get pretty passionate at times,like my place,i cant really look anywhere without seeing something minmay :p. one of my moments would probably be when I was singing/humming Sheryl's 'Welcome to my Fan Clubs Night' while the F/A-18 Hornets where taking off at work,I had my earmuffs on so i was singing it quite loudly i guess and i didnt notice one of the other fellas was next to me lol,bit shamed, other then that one night i was coming out of the shower and i felt like being bit silly so i got some old towels and made a makeshift Minmay 2012 outfit haha,my brother saw and was like 'M-Minmay!'

:p

To present my answer, it's neccessary to add the redundant information that I'm writing a fan-fic novel about Tomahawk Destroids. It's about halfway done.

Now, on with the answer!

At the beginning of the '09-'10 school year, I was finishing my training for being a school-bus driver. Now, this entailed sitting though two days of District-mandated procedure training called 'Inservice'.

During last year's inservice, we had a guest speaker come in, giving a motivational seminar on student management ("You cannot strangle the little twerps, and this is why." sorta thing).

WEll, as the story goes, I was 'volunteered' to take part in one of the on-stage exercizes, one designed to show the positive results of being a team player. WEll, before the exercise began, the guy interviewed us, asking us to reveal something that most folks might not know. I said that I was writing a sci-fi novel. The guy wouldn't let it drop there, though. he started asking me stuff like "How long have you been writing it? Why Sci-Fi?" etc. Well, when he asked me what my novel was about, I said 'The Destroid Tomahawk.' "What's that?" he asked. "A combat robot from the Anime series 'Super Dimension Fortress: Macross."

The strange thing was, there was a few cheers from the crowd. Apparently, I wasn't the only Macross fan in the school-bus crew!

1. Recently correcting someone who used to watch Robotech as a child, on the difference between a Veritech Fighter and a Valkyrie. Someone who obviously had no interest in knowing the difference as an adult.

That was definitely one of those "God I'm a nerd moments".

2. Spending way too much time and effort building a kick-ass (yet non-transformable) YF-19 out of lego.

When I was in college.

3. Realizing that a very small part of me was getting caught up in the moment of a Macross 7 episode when Gigil started singing Basara's songs and coming over to the good side. This was embarrassing for me because I pretty much hated every minute of 7, and I was determined to keep on hating it. I only watched it out of obligation as a Macross fan, but Gigil still moved me. That's pretty damn nerdy.

Robelwell, I am in the same boat as you are. I'm about 2/3 done with my Macross F fanfic and I am finding it difficult to explain to family members what the hell I've been spending so much time behind my computer screen doing. At least I'm actively typing, or they might think I was doing something somewhat less-than-decent, if you get my drift... :blink:

For those friends and family who are stubborn as hell and want to know what the hell this "Macross" crap is all about, I have to warn them that once I open their eyes to what it is that I am working on, there's no turning back!

I had to put my best friend through hours upon hours of edification so she could finally get to read what I've been writing. I'm starting to get good at the enlightening of the unenlightened... I've almost got the regimen down to a consistent procedure!

There`s a street called "Macrossan Street" near where I used to live. I spray painted over the "an" on the street sign about 15 years ago. I considered moving into that street but I probably need a job before I can get a house.

Edited by Million Star

• 3 weeks later...

probably taking my Yammie 1/48 VF-1S fokker along with me when i stayed over at my grandma's for a month at a time.

for a while there, i just couldn't live without the damn thing.

that was several years ago, mind you, and hardly something i'd do today with my 1/60v.2 Hikaru T.V. VF-1J,

what with my Grandma being a heavy chain smoker and all.

oh, yes, and there is also the DYRL Minmay costume i handmade for the doll i have

of my favorite Anime girl;

("Shaorin" from the 1997 Minene Sakurano Anime/Manga series "Mamotte Shugogetten")

ShaorinShichiriasLynnMinmay.jpg

ShaorinShichiriasLynnMinmay3.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

My nerdiest moment would likely be getting a round car magnet (1' across) with the UN Spacy kite on it ( I have a nice graphic I photoshopped up for it), but it's friggin expensive, an the requirement is usually to purchase 100+ of the things. :p

But yea, I'd get that on the my jeep. :}

My nerdiest moment hasn't even been recognized yet. I went to a local sign shop with two graphics, the new MF Skull and the old Kite.

The skull I had sewn onto the front of a black baseball cap, with the kite on the back. It's getting faded now, so it's time to make a new

one, and so far, no one has noticed... :wacko:

Nerdiest moment? Probably trying, half-seriously, half-in-jest, to get the wife to agree to name our son "Hikaru". As she said, "it's an old name" (as in, out of fashion, usually only people 70+ have it).

If we'd had a daughter, I wanted to name her Mylene or Minmay, but the wife shot the idea down.

I nearly got her to agree on Roy for a boy, but alas it wasn't to be.

At our wedding party/disco thingie, I had the DJ slip on a Macross Plus CD and me and a couple of friends zoomed round the dance floor with arms outstretched, pretending to be Valks. I forget which track played, possibly Dog Fight.

Graham

At our wedding party/disco thingie, I had the DJ slip on a Macross Plus CD and me and a couple of friends zoomed round the dance floor with arms outstretched, pretending to be Valks. I forget which track played, possibly Dog Fight.

Graham

That sounds like one heck of party to me!

Sad to say that the limit of my nerdiness was to put a Macross sticker on my bike. Bit lame really!

Hmmm...definately a tough question!

Well, when explaining a game concept to an R&D team last year and asked how to describe the player experience in one word, I replied:

....DECULTURE!

And you know what? Nearly everyone in the meeting understood immediately. No further questions asked, lol.

That's a good figurine. I don't know why your friends would give you some poo about buying it. Are they not anime fans?

Well, I'm almost 45 and I think they are telling me I'm too old to play with dolls as they call it. But I love collecting these figures. However, the way I was carrying on about Macross sounded a lot like the way I carry on about Gunbuster, and I realized I was sounding just like those nerdy fanboys that eat, sleep, crap, and masterbate to whatever they seem to love at the moment. It took them and me kind of by surprise.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Well, I'm almost 45 and I think they are telling me I'm too old to play with dolls as they call it. But I love collecting these figures. However, the way I was carrying on about Macross sounded a lot like the way I carry on about Gunbuster, and I realized I was sounding just like those nerdy fanboys that eat, sleep, crap, and masterbate to whatever they seem to love at the moment. It took them and me kind of by surprise.

Well, I guess I can imagine the situation being a bit difficult for ya. A grown man collecting "dolls"?? Nuts to them! As long as you don't do anything indecent with them, you do whatever you want! ;)

you know whats good tho,These times comics and such have alot more recognition due to hollywood films and major anime releases,so being more open about collecting isnt as 'geeky' as it used to be :p hooray for us!

My nerdiest moment would likely be getting a round car magnet (1' across) with the UN Spacy kite on it ( I have a nice graphic I photoshopped up for it), but it's friggin expensive, an the requirement is usually to purchase 100+ of the things. :p

But yea, I'd get that on the my jeep. :}

Ha ha!

I want one of those for my Jeep too!

Or a sticker saying, "I'd rather be flying a Valkyrie." :)

Ok, how about this:

For an assignment in creative writing class, I wrote a love letter to Minmay, written from Hikaru's perspective.

Years later, a girl I was dating saw that love letter in some corner of my room. Unfortunately, I never indicated in the letter that it was supposed to be from Hikaru... :ph34r:

I commute about 35 miles (one-way) to work and in the summer I typically leave the windows down so I don't have to use the AC (trying to save gas).

Anyways, I totally feel like a nerd when I pull to a stop or red light and I'm blasting Mac F music out the windows. Sometimes I close the windows (in 90 degree weather) so I don't have to turn the volume down for fear of being embarrassed :lol:

^ Same here. :lol:

I have a system in my car, pretty funny seeing the looks I get from people as I drive around bumping Infinity or Lion or something else from Frontier. Though I live in Texas, I haven't had the windows down in several months.

I hope you have a powerful air conditioning unit then!

If not, open the windows wide and don't be afraid to let them hear Diamond Crevasse:D

I'd have to say my nerdiest Macross moment is my current project of watching the original TV series on the days/months (depending on whether the time line gives specific dates or not) that the episodes take place. I only hope that I can live to 2059 when I can watch Frontier on the episode dates, since the time line actually gives the exact date that the episode takes place. Much to my amusement, I found that Frontier episodes 6 and 7 take place on May 1, 2059, which would be my 89th birthday.

I commute about 35 miles (one-way) to work and in the summer I typically leave the windows down so I don't have to use the AC (trying to save gas).

Actually, from what I've read, rolling the windows down might actually be worse than using the AC, depending on the vehicle you drive.

I'd have to say my nerdiest Macross moment is my current project of watching the original TV series on the days/months (depending on whether the time line gives specific dates or not) that the episodes take place. I only hope that I can live to 2059 when I can watch Frontier on the episode dates, since the time line actually gives the exact date that the episode takes place. Much to my amusement, I found that Frontier episodes 6 and 7 take place on May 1, 2059, which would be my 89th birthday.

Actually, from what I've read, rolling the windows down might actually be worse than using the AC, depending on the vehicle you drive.

I like you're idea of watching the original series on the days/months they occurred, neat!

I drive a roller skate (3 door toyota yaris liftback). In my experience, using AC increases fuel consumption by about 10%.

However, depending on how fast you're going and what type of vehicle you're driving it can be more economical to us AC vs rolling down the windows. You have to experiment and see which works better for your driving conditions.

At any rate, I'm happy to learn I'm not the only person driving around bumping Macross Frontier music. Maybe I'll have the nerve to leave the windows down the next time I'm at a stop sign or red light, hahaha

At any rate, I'm happy to learn I'm not the only person driving around bumping Macross Frontier music. Maybe I'll have the nerve to leave the windows down the next time I'm at a stop sign or red light, hahaha

I do have one advantage though, I have a 12 inch sub, so some songs like Welcome to My Fan Club's Night, bump so hard (even with the bass turned all the way down) it is hard for anyone outside of my car to hear the Japanese singing.

Though I will admit, in cooler weather when I did have the windows down, I did roll them up and turn down the volume some as I pulled into the parking garage at work. :lol: