Jonah Hex

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will Megan Fox jinx this film?

• Yes
    • No

In less than two weeks, Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures' film adaptation of the DC Comics antihero Jonah Hex. Josh Brolin (Brand in The Goonies, Llewelyn Moss in No Country for Old Men) stars as the title character alongside John Malkovich (Being John Malkovich, Basie in Empire of the Sun), Michael Fassbender (Hicox in Inglorious Basterds, Stelios in 300), Michael Shannon (John in Revolutionary Road, Buehl in 8 Mile) and Will Arnett (Stranz Van Waldenberg in Blades of Glory, Lou in Semi-Pro). Megan Fox, who was just ousted from the production of Transformers 3, stars as the leading lady.

Given a reputable cast, Jonah Hex has the potential to be a good comic book movie. However, having Megan Fox in the film might have a polarizing effect, given that there's been more publicity on her than the film itself. Will this movie be a good adaptation, or will Megan Fox jinx it?

Official Jonah Hex Site

post-237-12757872941_thumb.jpg

the horse-mounted, hand-cranked Gatling guns just make me think of that awful Wild Wild West remake with Will Smith. I might check it out but I don't have high expectations.

Edited by anime52k8

the horse-mounted, hand-cranked Gatling guns just make me think of that awful Wild Wild West remake with Will Smith. I might check it out but I don't have high expectations.

See, when I see hand cranked Gatling guns mounted on a horse, I think "Awesome".

I also thought "Awesome" when I saw the Dynamite Crossbow. I'm expecting that to show up in one of my D&D games now.

Its a summer movie. A popcorn flick. It was meant to be fun and entertaining, not make you question the way you live or give you an epiphany of some sort.

Vaguely recall hearing the character's name, i.e. I know its a minor DC charcter, but have absolutely no idea what it's about, beyond being cowboy-ish?

Sorry, no interest.

My taste in Cowboy movies runs to anything with Clint Eastwood in, or The Wild Bunch.

Graham

Vaguely recall hearing the character's name, i.e. I know its a minor DC charcter, but have absolutely no idea what it's about, beyond being cowboy-ish?

Sorry, no interest.

My taste in Cowboy movies runs to anything with Clint Eastwood in, or The Wild Bunch.

Graham

How about Tombstone? You must have at least seen it once, right?

He was given an episode on Batman: The Animated Series and used no magic to get the job done.

To be fair, until hearing about the movie, I thought that actually had something to do with Batman :)

In order to be good, this film will have to be more Adventures of Brisco County Jr, and less Wild Wild West.

Just from the snippets I've seen in the trailers, this looks to be a real stinker. Dialogue sounds hackneyed and crude, like it's gonna be a bunch of one-liners and toilet humor, dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Damn shame that the younger generations coming up behind us will grow up thinking absolute nonsense like this to be somewhere near historically accurate or true... <_<

Not that Once Upon A Time In The West is a Tour de Force or anything--but Jeezus. Horse-mounted gatling guns? Dynamite crossbows? For fu**'s sake. Just stop the stupidity please.

Just from the snippets I've seen in the trailers, this looks to be a real stinker. Dialogue sounds hackneyed and crude, like it's gonna be a bunch of one-liners and toilet humor, dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Damn shame that the younger generations coming up behind us will grow up thinking absolute nonsense like this to be somewhere near historically accurate or true... <_<

Not that Once Upon A Time In The West is a Tour de Force or anything--but Jeezus. Horse-mounted gatling guns? Dynamite crossbows? For fu**'s sake. Just stop the stupidity please.

ed: and yes, Tombstone. KICKS. ASS. "Ah'm your Huckleberry..."

The historical events that inspired the legend of Wyatt Earp are just as good as any Hollywood make-believe. The real Wyatt Earp would bit*h slap Jonah Hex with his Peacemaker...

Me too.

Who cares if it is good adaptation or if Meg does a good job as this Johah character. Does anyone know the source material? I don't nor do I care.

Well if ya don't care, then why ask? ^_^

My brother's a Jonah Hex fan, so I've ended up absorbing more than I wanted to. Jonah Hex is a bounty hunter, whose career starts up just after the civil war. His original comic run was played pretty straight, and he's got a whole back story that isn't too ludicrous. Fairly well-developed personality. After the first run, they jumped the shark and took him into a post-apocalyptic future. After that killed the comic, there were a couple of revivals under the "Vertigo" imprint that added some supernatural, Lovecraft-esque elements with varying success (my brother hated those, for what that's worth). He's got an ongoing series again that returned to the straight western action hero roots. I actually collected a few issues of the new run, and they were pretty good.

Not that any of this has anything to do with the movie or is any predictor of quality. What I've read says there's a new origin story, a supernatural aspect thrown in, and the whole steam-punk-ish thing with "old West" technology like the horse mounted gatlings and the crossbow. Frankly, it all looks more than a little silly to me.

I think you're overlooking the fact that this is a comic book movie based on an over-the-top comic book character. It's pulp fiction. It's not supposed to be any kind of realistic or historically accurate narrative. I sincerely doubt anyone, regardless of age, will go into or come out of this film thinking it's somehow based on real world events.

It's no different than something like the anime Trigun, and I don't recall anyone mistaking that for reality. :)

I think you're overlooking the fact that this is a comic book movie based on an over-the-top comic book character. It's pulp fiction. It's not supposed to be any kind of realistic or historically accurate narrative. I sincerely doubt anyone, regardless of age, will go into or come out of this film thinking it's somehow based on real world events.

It's no different than something like the anime Trigun, and I don't recall anyone mistaking that for reality. smile.gif

Dude, Nicholas D. Wolfood's turd wouldn't go see this movie!

It's no different than something like the anime Trigun, and I don't recall anyone mistaking that for reality. :)

Oh no, not necessarily real world events that would warrant the old "This story is based on actual events...certain incidents, characters and timelines have been changed.." disclaimer, per se.

I guess the disturbing aspect for me is that there is probably far too great a number of intellectually stunted people out there, who'll see stuff like this and think the Civil War was fought with things like the dynamite crossbows, or tank-turreted wagons, or cast-iron steam-powered jet-packs...

Oh no, not necessarily real world events that would warrant the old "This story is based on actual events...certain incidents, characters and timelines have been changed.." disclaimer, per se.

I guess the disturbing aspect for me is that there is probably far too great a number of intellectually stunted people out there, who'll see stuff like this and think the Civil War was fought with things like the dynamite crossbows, or tank-turreted wagons, or cast-iron steam-powered jet-packs...

I wouldn't worry about it. If there are people that stupid out there (and there are, I once worked with a girl who recently graduated high school and had no idea what Nazis, Hitler and the Holocaust was) natural selection will weed them out eventually. :)

Dude, Nicholas D. Wolfood's turd wouldn't go see this movie!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't comparing quality of the two ~ just themes (crazy exaggerated weapons, etc). While I'm not expecting Jonah Hex to be an abomination, I have no expectations of it being anywhere near as good as Trigun.

Edited by eriku

You mean... Trigun isn't real? NOOOO!!! :o

And how many people had even heard of Jonah Hex before this? (Or had forgotten and didn't know who he was when first seeing the trailer)

You mean... Trigun isn't real? NOOOO!!! :o

And how many people had even heard of Jonah Hex before this? (Or had forgotten and didn't know who he was when first seeing the trailer)

It's certainly an B- or C-rank character to base a movie on. Long-time DC readers are likely to recognize the character, but no one else. Typical studio approach though. They seem to equate "comic book = hit movie" instead of "good quality + comic people actually read = hit movie". Strikes me as the same thought processes that brought us "Elektra".

Edited by Penguin

I wouldn't worry about it. If there are people that stupid out there (and there are, I once worked with a girl who recently graduated high school and had no idea what Nazis, Hitler and the Holocaust was) natural selection will weed them out eventually. :)

Alas, if only I could take comfort in that. But the cynic in me just thinks: perhaps the greatest achievement (unfortunately for us) of modern Western civilization has been to largely upset, if not completely thwart the process of natural selection....

far too many of the open mouth breathers manage to survive to adulthood, blighting the rest of the world with their offspring, maybe even succeed enough to get their own reality TV show. :p

Edited by reddsun1

I dig Jonah Hex; I've read a few of the old westerns comics back in the days and they had solid story telling. It's too bad they didn't retain Jonah's "Two-Face" look especially that wicked enlarged right eye.

As for the western movies, I'm mostly into the spaghetti westerns that were all filmed in Spain like the Sergio Leone films (Man with No Name Trilogy, Once Upon A Time in the West, & A Fistful of Dynamite) and Sergio Corbucci movies (Django & Navajo Joe).

Edited by terry the lone wolf

• 2 weeks later...

the fact that people are retarded enough to not no the difference between over the top fantasy-action movies and historical fact is in no way the fault of the movie or the people who make them.

Hollywood is not school :o .

personally I blame poor breading. :D

Edited by anime52k8

So why are you mad if that's what you got?

I'm not mad, just a little annoyed.

The phrase "came up with dick" is a semi-vulgar way of saying that I got bubkis, nada, or nothing in my search.

Edited by Wanzerfan

If I learned anything from US History Civil War videos is that the conflict was primarily 99% writing long a$$ letters to your wife/girlfriend/uncle/grandpa/dad/mom in the hopes that in the 20th century they would be read by some guy faking a Southern accent but seen by millions of people on the yet to be invented "tele-tube"

... that and Project SuperNova 19th century edition with the USS Monitor vs the CSS Merrimack.