Yamato 1/60 Regult w/ pilot

EXO

Has any reason been given as to why they are using HD Resin instead of a more typical injection plastic like the Fan Jet? If it's a kit why are they charging so much? Or is it partially assembled like the SDF-1? At least the unassembled VF-1S was less expensive than the toy.

Is it known if it will be using color resin or just they matte gray in the preview pic?

So conflicted :unsure:

The reason its done that way (assuming) is that it's a lot more expensive to make the metal molds for the plastic injection type. They might as well produce it as a toy if they were gonna get the molds done anyway. The special resin they use can withstand the articulation which regular resin that we see in kits can't. It's still a lot cheaper to produce compared to plastic, but a whole lot more expensive than typical recasts. The reason they are so expensive is because the rubber molds begin to degrade after every pull, so you can only sell a limited amounts before you need to make a new one. With a metal mold you can do thousands, so the production number offsets the cost, assuming the overwhelming demand is there to market at those numbers . Also, articulation is the trickiest part of making garage kits. You might as well not plan for it. Of course technology for home based kit making is getting better and cheaper, even though materials are getting more and more expensive.

Im kind of hoping Yamato quickly sells all of the $400 regults and realize there actually is a market for them. Then they will offer up completely assembled and painted versions for $100.

I agree with you for the most part but Gundam is kind of a bad example because the Zaku II is arguably as popular if not more so than the notorious Gundam itself.

I think you could make a pretty strong argument that Yamato designed the Q-rau and Destroids to fail. So in a way it's really their fault for making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

No, I don't think a pod would really be more "popular" than either the Destroids or the Q-Raus but wouldn't the smart thing to do then in a "bad economy" be offering something really cheap as a Yamato shop exclusive? not something really expensive? Maybe they'll do both? I mean this is kind of contradictory to what Graham had mentioned about their conservative ambitions for this year. I suppose maybe Bandai has forced their hand by moving into the Macross and M7 licenses.

sure, the zaku II was popular and it got the PG treatment, how many other enemy suits got the PG treatment?

And yeah, the "just make it cheap" argument is nice on the surface but design takes time and money and so does tooling new molds, retraining workers on assembling the new toys, etc. Like I said, I just don't see these things moving even if they did cost 25 dollars a pop. They're huge, they weren't even the hero mech of the villains and unlike the q-rau and the Nousjadeul-Ger they don't even get updated designs in the sequels.

But I hope dizman is right and they sell like mad and yamato goes ahead and does a regular production run of them.

And I don't get how the destroids were designed to fail. They are fantastic in every possible way.

Sculpt looks good but I have some doubts on to how articulated that could be. Is that 1/2000 SDF-1 fairly well articulated (I know... it's an SDF-1... but still).

There's a video of the SDF-1 in the thread. articulation as far as transformation is shown.

awesome pic!

hmmm. just noticed that the pilot is not on the pic. That means someone moved the pilot to take the pic.

This might seem like a stupid question, but has this Regult resin model been confirmed in 1/60 scale? If I'm not mistaken, it's pictured next to a 1/60 Valk, but the Regult looks a little big. Does anyone know of an accurate size comparison of a Regult versus a Valkyrie?

This might seem like a stupid question, but has this Regult resin model been confirmed in 1/60 scale? If I'm not mistaken, it's pictured next to a 1/60 Valk, but the Regult looks a little big. Does anyone know of an accurate size comparison of a Regult versus a Valkyrie?

Close enough:

sizechart-zentradimeltrandi-mecha.jpg

In for the re-cast.

See, this is a stupid thing to say, and proves that at the end of the day, you guys still don't understand anything about making these toys or figures. The Regult will be in their special HDP resin because the design is unfeasible for regular or 'easy' production... a recast in conventional resin would cost a fortune and probably break before you could get it upright. Look at the hoops John Moscato had to go through to make his (amazing, and expensive) Glaug kit. Part of the problem with the Macross bad guys is not just that bad guy toys seem to be less popular, but the Zentraedi designs are remarkably impractical for a line-art accurate or high-quality toy to match the modern valks. Look at the old Matchbox ones... those toys look the way they do because that was the only way to make them durable and work as toys. The way you guys bitch, I'm surprised noone's asked for a unicorn to be included with their toy yet.

You've completely lost all track of perspective in life if you think $400 is a reasonable price for a toy.

$400 is right up there with those rare and incredibly expensive Maschine Krieger kits, and those are rare for a reason.

And I don't get how the destroids were designed to fail. They are fantastic in every possible way.

I knew this would be the general reaction and it's understandable as the Destroids are pretty good toys.

Let's put this whole song and dance in perspective. After selling us repeated repaints of Version 1 VF-1s they finally break down and give us Q-Raus BUT they are terrible figures and MSRP around the same as the much better VF-1s.

Yamato: "See they don't sell more VF-1s for you"

Vocal collectors continue to clamor for enemy mecha.

Yamato: "Okay we'll just rerelease the same Q-raus but this time the Milia pilot will be removed to save on costs"

So we get The same terrible toys from like 10 years ago with no improvements, they've removed an accessory and it still MSRP around the same as the even better Version 2 VF-1s.

Yamato: "See enemy mecha doesn't sell!"

So we buy tons more repaint VF-1s version 2s and clamor for more non variable mecha.

Yamato: "Okay, okay but it won't sell we can't do it. Look at the Q-Raus"

Collector's: "They were terribly designed and expensive"

Yamato: "Okay we'll make them good this time"

What we got was actually pretty good not excellent and still just as expensive as their better designed version 2 VF-1s with none of the paint apps or tampo printing. I bought them, you bought them and die hards probably bought them but joe schmoe Macross fans probably didn't because you can get a much better buy in a version 2 VF-1. Basically they sabotaged the destroids by their price point. Now you guessed it..

Yamato: "See we made mass market good non variable mecha/destroids and NO ONE bought them! We're never doing that again"

They never addressed the price point problem because they didn't want to. They should have just made destroids that were scaled up and slightly better than the ones released by matchbox/playmates (mostly in the joints department) and sold them at a MSRP around 4000-6000yen. I understand that Yamato is dedicated to producing quality items (QC issues not withstanding) so maybe this was not an option for them from a branding perspective.

and for Gundam we had Glorious grade man.. It's not that great now but neither is PG. New HG is the new old MG and New MG is the old PG. Look at the toys overall generic good guys are all that really get the axe there's always the main heroics and the baddies in abundance.

IF we get a smaller scale to 1/60, then it won't be so bad, as the Zentran average height is rather inconsistant, and i'm happy

to believe there were different scaled Regults made to fit suit the respective Zentran soldier. Why not?

They never addressed the price point problem because they didn't want to. They should have just made destroids that were scaled up and slightly better than the ones released by matchbox/playmates (mostly in the joints department) and sold them at a MSRP around 4000-6000yen. I understand that Yamato is dedicated to producing quality items (QC issues not withstanding) so maybe this was not an option for them from a branding perspective.

your whole post makes you look like an idiot.

First off, the Q-Rau re-release was after the new VF-1s and the Destroids came out.

Second, just because the Destroids don't transform doesn't mean they're cheaper to produce.

Third, and this is what pisses me off about this entire board is that just because someone makes a quality toy of something you like doesn't mean people are going to buy it. Now before you go asking why average customers weren't buying the Destroids, ask yourself if they're compelling purchases at any price. 9800 yen, you wait for it to go on sale. Say the MSRP was 6000 yen, people would still wait for it to dip down to 4000 yen. Fans need to realize now that almost anything can be produced, but that doesn't mean it will sell.

Reading comprehension VF5SS, I never said/claimed the destroids were cheaper to produce because they don't transform. What I was attempting to portray was that it looks bad to an undereducated consumer that the price for a destroid is around the same as a VF-1. You would think they would want to make a decent but cheaper product for less risk. Not everyone cares about actual real value but more "perceived value". I also never implied I wanted them to make things specifically for ME. I'm simply questioning their business practices. I honestly probably wouldn't even buy a pod sooooo....

I do like that because I slightly disagree with your opinion that I'm an idiot though. Well at least we both love M7 and the VF-22s :rolleyes:

I just want to remind everyone -> Yamato never said they won't release a completed Regult toy. Nor did they say if they do release it, it'll be web exclusive.

Earlier in this thread I posted that Yamato believes they need to study the issue further. When they do figure out what they believe is a profitable strategy to release a Regult, they will no doubt do so.

In the meantime, this is just a limited edition garage kit for hardcore modelers.

This is kinda like Bandai's B-Club releasing a resin kit of the 1/100 scale Nobel Gundam while many Gunpla builders still wait.

Edited by Vifam7

your whole post makes you look like an idiot.

First off, the Q-Rau re-release was after the new VF-1s and the Destroids came out.

Second, just because the Destroids don't transform doesn't mean they're cheaper to produce.

VF5SS, you are consistently rude. And by the way, non-transforming toys are ABSOLUTELY cheaper to produce.

VF5SS, you are consistently rude. And by the way, non-transforming toys are ABSOLUTELY cheaper to produce.

maybe in terms of design but tooling costs, manufacturing and materials aren't going to be different if the number of individual components is similar. Which between the v2. 1/60 and the destroids they are.

Then you have to consider the market demand and ability to milk the molds. The v.2 vf-1 has both greater marketability as well as more potential for variants to spread the cost around.

Veef's not rude, he's just frank, and doesn't tolerate wrongness.

VF5SS consistently addresses as if he's speaking to the whole board over some remarks of a few members... there's 2 sides of the argument and he's not the only one that replies againt those angry at the exclusives. He's got the "you people" syndrome that clearly shows his unhappiness with the boards. But yet he's here all the time. AND he calls "you peoples" idiots... which is pretty rude and against the rules. He should consider this post as a warning. Now maybe he can start a thread on CDX about this post and "those people" can have another field day being "them people".

You, and he, needs to understand that when you continually address the whole forum with your complaints it brings down the whole forum... you need to just man up and address the specific poster without baiting them into a flame war. Yeah, I know it takes some finnesse, but it works both ways.

CDX doesn't have a message board. You people should know that.

No I don't, cuz I never go there. But it's those little smart remarks that you like to drop and run that you think makes you seem smarter than others. But all it does is make you look like the curmudgeonly tired and angry otaku that you pretend not to be.

No I don't, cuz I never go there. But it's those little smart remarks that you like to drop and run that you think makes you seem smarter than others. But all it does is make you look like the curmudgeonly tired and angry otaku that you pretend not to be.

*grabs stick* Let's not forget posting opinion as if it's fact! *joins you people in poking with a stick*