HG and Robotech Debates

Or, as I've said many times before, if WB is smart they'll do this:

-Divert their robotech movie license to WB animation

-Let Bruce Timm's gang do one of their 75 minute films, specifically a reboot of a chunk of the Macross story

-If it's profable, continue this way.

-If not, leave it for dead.

In this way, the "real" leftover fanbase, i.e. nostalgic adults who remember watching it as kids, not the crazy fanatical minority that hounds robotech.com, will decide whether its a franchise worth continuing.

Wouldn't WB have to buy the animation license then? Hmm, if that happened then HG would have a plausible explanation for why they haven't done anything meaningful in the last few years. I doubt it though, WB sunk money on a losing proposition already , they probably wouldn't want to waste any more.

-Let Bruce Timm's gang do one of their 75 minute films, specifically a reboot of a chunk of the Macross story

In this way, the "real" leftover fanbase, i.e. nostalgic adults who remember watching it as kids, not the crazy fanatical minority that hounds robotech.com, will decide whether its a franchise worth continuing.

I have to agree with this but I think WB Animation Proper wouldn't be good for RT. They need have aanime style. They need to farm out to either Studio 4C or Madhouse; both having relations with WBA with other projects. Those studios are capable of making a mock Macross animated movie.

I have to agree with this but I think WB Animation Proper wouldn't be good for RT. They need have aanime style. They need to farm out to either Studio 4C or Madhouse; both having relations with WBA with other projects. Those studios are capable of making a mock Macross animated movie.

See: Batman - Gotham Knight

However, I don't agree that it has to be in an "anime style." I say "own it" if they truly want it to be an "American" franchise.

See: Batman - Gotham Knight

However, I don't agree that it has to be in an "anime style." I say "own it" if they truly want it to be an "American" franchise.

Batman - GK isn't the best representation of Bruce Timm's work GK was a collection of different writers, directors and animation studios like 4c, madhouse, production IG.

When you say Bruce Timm, it conjures a very specific art and story telling style.

I agree with the general idea that robotech just needs a complete reboot that includes a solid divorce from it's 80's anime roots but the current leadership has pretty solidly show that they're more interested in milking the franchise dry than doing anything truly unique or worthwhile with the what they have.

Batman - GK isn't the best representation of Bruce Timm's work GK was a collection of different writers, directors and animation studios like 4c, madhouse, production IG.

When you say Bruce Timm, it conjures a very specific art and story telling style.

Also, Bruce Timm doesn't get into the finer aspects these days. 95% of his work since 2003/2004 is producer/executive producer, which doesn't have much creative pull.

I think a different Animation style would be the way to go. Like Ben 10 or "The Batman" TV series. Get it away from it's orginal Anime roots would be the way I would go. Then it would have a future. But hanging on to the old would not work. And they would most likely have a toy arm as well. Most animated series seem to have a set of toys that they try an market it with to.

I agree with the general idea that robotech just needs a complete reboot that includes a solid divorce from it's 80's anime roots

but if you do that, All you're left with is a cheesy 1980's name and a handful of generic sci-fi cliches. what needs to happen is that the people behind and supporting Robotech should just accept that it was nothing more than a cheesy dub/re-edit of 3 superior shows that ran its course long ago, let Robotech slip into the depth of obscurity like it should have and move on to doing something more productive.

but if you do that, All you're left with is a cheesy 1980's name and a handful of generic sci-fi cliches. what needs to happen is that the people behind and supporting Robotech should just accept that it was nothing more than a cheesy dub/re-edit of 3 superior shows that ran its course long ago, let Robotech slip into the depth of obscurity like it should have and move on to doing something more productive.

It is the way that it should be, But HG still see some money in it, and are trying to cash up on the newer Macross Series and toys. Because they are not trying with the other 2 series they played with. Macross still has earning money. ANd they want some of that.

But in the end, Nothing will really happen from HG, no new series or anything like that. Just trying to run a company on ideas and no output. I wonder how many more years it will go on for.

I wonder how many more cons they can go to and saying nothing before people loose interest in it. You can only do so much of that before it starts to test people.

I think the people saying Robotech needs a reboot are more just mecha anime fans saying they would love to see a new and good mecha anime that proves successful in the US Market (and possibly gets HG to stop being such a Macross monkey). It's not necessarily about Robotech and it's certainly not because we want HG to be successful or believe their current creative staff has the ability to pull that off. When I imagine a reboot of Robotech it's complete with a competent staff at the helm. I wish WB had bought Robotech free and clear :(

But most shows out there, for adults and children, can be described as a cheesey name and a collection of cliches.

I think the people saying Robotech needs a reboot are more just mecha anime fans saying they would love to see a new and good mecha anime that proves successful in the US Market (and possibly gets HG to stop being such a Macross monkey). It's not necessarily about Robotech and it's certainly not because we want HG to be successful or believe their current creative staff has the ability to pull that off. When I imagine a reboot of Robotech it's complete with a competent staff at the helm. I wish WB had bought Robotech free and clear :(

What's wrong with that? Let's face it, as much as we like to pretend to be, we're not the target demographic for cartoons and toys in the States and I'd love for my kid to get to watch a cool version of the shows I liked when I was his age.

Edited by eugimon

Bruce Timm may not want to attach his name to a concept/series with a crap track record and very little (usable) content

Why not simply take Astro Plan 9 from Outer Space and make it the new RT? There - problem solved.

And we keep sayin', that would be an insult to Astro Plan. And that show is already an insult...

What you propose is interesting, but it would have to be more of a case where HG purchased some kind of pre-packaged show dev kit, that let them use Astro Plans models, and paste Yune's huge fake titied whores in.

What you propose is interesting, but it would have to be more of a case where HG purchased some kind of pre-packaged show dev kit, that let them use Astro Plans models, and paste Yune's huge fake titied whores in.

I don't see HG having any problem with that. Probably would take them 10 seconds to seal the deal, if you ask me.

I don't see HG having any problem with that. Probably would take them 10 seconds to seal the deal, if you ask me.

Well, random Chinese girls in airports do seem to love Mckeener & Robotech, so they already have an "in" in China.

I agree. RT should be bought out from under HG and made into something more. Tired people do the same old thing all the time. HG has gotta go for that franchise to get right again.

Looking at these old trailers, I can see why Robotech: The Movie was a failure. Really lame presentation and editing.

Just got to see these...wow...it would of at least been interesting to see how they would have presented hacked pieces of Southern Cross with Megazone 23...I mean how were they going to show a Garland vs. a Bioroid? I shudder at the thought.

Just got to see these...wow...it would of at least been interesting to see how they would have presented hacked pieces of Southern Cross with Megazone 23...I mean how were they going to show a Garland vs. a Bioroid? I shudder at the thought.

You do know that the film actually got made, right?

You do know that the film actually got made, right?

I don't think that "got made" describes it. More like the "original works were hacked apart and sloppily edited into an absolute mess" would be a more accurate description.

I don't think Robotech will be lucky and have a reboot. The runners at HG are trying to hold on to the stuff done in the 80's which is slowly killing RT.

But the only way franchises survive is by continual reboots. All the succesful ones such as Transformers, Gi-joe, Star Trek, BSG, TMNT and Gundam (which has now gone back to the UC which started it all. I admit I am enjoying Unicorn and can't wait until the next episode) to name a few. Hoping that they can re-start an old franchise with no new ideas or works will not work. Most kids these days do not want to watch a series that is 25 years old. Because quite a few want the newer animation. And I have trouble getting younger fans to watch the orginal Macross.

I agree let someone else handle it, or just let it end itself. It has no future and the continuation of hold on the Macross distribution rights make them look foolish in the end. But hey they will argue differently about how much life RT has. But I can't see it. Not anymore. I admit when I heard about RTSC I was excited and was hoping for more from them.

RT in truth is an American Franchise. and would never do well in Japan as they have all seen the orginals and probably do not want to see an American Cut & Paste of there orginal series. They should just completely Americanise it and change it with the animation.

And change is allways good look at hpw BSG has gone, and they also has a spin of with Capria.

But I agree with Kieth let WB take control and see what happens from there.

End of line..lol

A sidestory would not fix it. In my opinon. It needs a full reboot. ANd they are trying to mesh to shows that have nothing to do together. A garland vs a Biroide. Amazing they didn't try that with a Veritech vs a Birode to begin with. My mistake...the series were never made toegther...lol

A sidestory would not fix it. In my opinon. It needs a full reboot. ANd they are trying to mesh to shows that have nothing to do together. A garland vs a Biroide. Amazing they didn't try that with a Veritech vs a Birode to begin with. My mistake...the series were never made toegther...lol

To be fair the Garland didn't fight the Bioroids; Mark was mostly fighting the Harguns and goverment forces. In Space you had Southern Cross mecha basically fighting the Bioroids. Even when the Robotech Masters flagship crashed on Earth there was no MZ23 mecha there only Southern Cross ones.

Yep, a lot of the animation from the Southern Cross episode where they attack the Masters and take down their flagship was simply ported right into the movie. It all happens as kind of a "meanwhile... at another location... this is happening:" and then they flash back to Mark.

I think either option is probably feasible for where Robotech should go. Still trying to pass of as anime is just misleading and a farse, and having done in animated Batman or Ben 10, or whatever is current and fitting a mecha show would be fine. At least it'd be out of the anime guise, and a good reboot would give it a sink or swim chance.

If it just disappears into obscurity, I'd be OK with that too. It's sad for "enlightened Robotech fans" to see the garbage that it's become, and if it just died out, at least it'd be a good memory as a kid or whatever.

Why not simply take Astro Plan 9 from Outer Space and make it the new RT? There - problem solved.

Isn't this question posed every other page on this thread? I'm so tired of hearing about F!@#ing Astro Plan. No offense to you areaseven, but someone, let it go already. :p

But the only way franchises survive is by continual reboots. All the succesful ones such as Transformers, Gi-joe, Star Trek, BSG, TMNT and Gundam (which has now gone back to the UC which started it all.

Apparently, even WB decided Looney Tunes needed a face-lift:

If it just disappears into obscurity, I'd be OK with that too. It's sad for "enlightened Robotech fans" to see the garbage that it's become, and if it just died out, at least it'd be a good memory as a kid or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, Scott Bernard is still out there looking for Rick Hunter. Shadow Chronicles NEVER EXISTED.

BTW, I think MEMO posted more of that 2011 "Animation on Display" Panel

Can someone watch this and see if they dropped anything remotely interesting? Is Kevin McKeever still blaming fans for being impatient?

competent staff at the helm. I wish WB had bought Robotech free and clear :(

IF they did they'd actually have a chance to work directly with Big West and Kawamori.

Until WB shakes the HG monkey off its back with this property they will never get access to the most profit potential aspect of the the RT show = Macross!

As far as I'm concerned, Scott Bernard is still out there looking for Rick Hunter. Shadow Chronicles NEVER EXISTED.

Can someone watch this and see if they dropped anything remotely interesting? Is Kevin McKeever still blaming fans for being impatient?

Do McKeever and Yune EVER take responsiblity for something negative? It's like a corporate Bush Administration...:p

No, nothing new. Just the same old stuff. Just a guy talking about the past and convincing himself that there's only a couple of people in the world who actually had issues with Robotech's direction. It was pretty boring, and IMO, it seemed like Tommy was kinda tired of talking about Carl, and about all that past stuff. He at least has more energy when talking about that stuff.

No, nothing new. Just the same old stuff. Just a guy talking about the past and convincing himself that there's only a couple of people in the world who actually had issues with Robotech's direction. It was pretty boring, and IMO, it seemed like Tommy was kinda tired of talking about Carl, and about all that past stuff. He at least has more energy when talking about that stuff.

I guess that's what happens when you're forced to attend every single major anime and media convention year in year out, and answer every stupid question from the fanboys... It's going to be a looong year!

Do McKeever and Yune EVER take responsiblity for something negative? It's like a corporate Bush Administration...

I think McKeever at one point complained loudly on some message board that fans are too demanding, too entitled, and that they're undermining what they're trying to do with the property. Funny stuff.