HG and Robotech Debates

RobotechNews ROBOTECH

If you want to see the NEW Animation it will be shown ROBOTECH: FREE-FOR-ALL Live Events 2 @ 12:00 Noon on Sunday.

They show the new animaiton?

I wait it~~~

and this:

http://www.roboteche...52:convenciones

Is that the re-edit of TSC into a newly dubbed "original animation from HG"?

Just asking :p

Edited by Zinjo

Just a note to Lonewolf's original timeline posted by Azrael in post # 1.

Based on my research, the battle over the "Macross" trademark BEGAN in 1999. No one held it outside of Japan yet.

Over the course of 3 years both HG and BW would apply for the TM, the other side would file a claim and the matter would end up being abandoned.

It wasn't until the Japanese ruling in late 2002 and the subsequent uncontested awarding of the "Macross" name to HG in the US in Feb, 2003 (I believe) that things changed on that front. [based on actual searches in the US trademarks website].

Perhaps BW assumed that the international TM would automatically fall to them after winning in Japanese court, which is clearly not the case. It only gives them strong grounds to reclaim their property internationally.

In the US it would take a court case to recover the TM, but in Canada BW just has to prove IP ownership to a Tribunal to recover the "Macross" name and any name associated with the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true in the UK, however I don't presently know.

Whether Big West is aware of this or cares is another matter.

Edited by Zinjo

I don't think Harmony Gold can market anything to Japan including Shadow Chronicles and this new animation because they don't understand how to adapt their product for Japan. It would cost more money than they would get back. They would have to give the Japanese market all their attention. The most they can do is sell a small amount of Toynami toys there to people who don't know any better.

Just a note to Lonewolf's original timeline posted by Azrael in post # 1.

Based on my research, the battle over the "Macross" trademark BEGAN in 1999. No one held it outside of Japan yet.

Over the course of 3 years both HG and BW would apply for the TM, the other side would file a claim and the matter would end up being abandoned.

It wasn't until the Japanese ruling in late 2002 and the subsequent uncontested awarding of the "Macross" name to HG in the US in Feb, 2003 (I believe) that things changed on that front. [based on actual searches in the US trademarks website].

Perhaps BW assumed that the international TM would automatically fall to them after winning in Japanese court, which is clearly not the case. It only gives them strong grounds to reclaim their property internationally.

In the US it would take a court case to recover the TM, but in Canada BW just has to prove IP ownership to a Tribunal to recover the "Macross" name and any name associated with the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true in the UK, however I don't presently know.

A while back I mentioned that trademarks are based on first usage in the US, not first registration like most other countries. This is why HG can claim it because of their use of it in RT. But they can't do much beyond what they have been doing because they do not own the original concept.

Why show footage of this new production only at convention panels when they could post it online for promotion purposes like everyone else?

That's the question everyone wants to know and I blame McKeever and his marketing wisdom for this. Makes no sense to only allow a few hundred US con fans a year see something you're trying to promote when you can throw it on the website and allow people around the world. Basically, McKeever wants to be in the spotlight since he has no role in creating the actual production.

That's the question everyone wants to know and I blame McKeever and his marketing wisdom for this. Makes no sense to only allow a few hundred US con fans a year see something you're trying to promote when you can throw it on the website and allow people around the world. Basically, McKeever wants to be in the spotlight since he has no role in creating the actual production.

So what else is new with that racist jackass?

So what else is new with that racist jackass?

I don't know if he's like that but I find his links to Glenn Beck & Fox News on his blog very troubling. He seems to be terrible at marketing: To make people pay convention fees to see an animatic is very moronic. Hasn't HG learned their media blackout never works? It leads to undue speculation both positive & negative. After the animatic premiered at AODSF the next day it should've been posted on RT.com. Throwing bread crumbs goes a long ways to making your online fan base feel a little appreciated.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

They know this new animation won't be part of a viable product for a long time so they don't want to risk stirring up the remaining fanbase prematurely just to end up alienating even more of them.

But this is the Internet age, don't they risk doing just that with certain people spreading news (accurate or not, and heavily speculating) from convention panels every so often?

Hold on now!

What's this I hear about new animation for Robotech? Why has there been ZERO buzz about this new project as of late? You'd think the hardcore fanboys would go crazy for this crap! Doesn't any of these balding Robotech con-attendees use twitter, or blog, or any of the innovations of the social media age?

Come on now. Do attendees sign non-disclosure agreements? What's the deal here?

Edited by chrisk

I hope you're right about them chrisk. It would be good for Robotech, and Macross, if people really were refusing to play Harmony Gold's game. Somehow though I think their cult will survive even if the company makes no money. They're obviously living off the LAM money or some kind of huge cash reserves so they can prop up Robotech in their spare time.

I just saw that clip, and it was a whole lot of nothing. I also wished it showed how many people were there. it did not look like much as there were front seats available.

Tommy went on about old photo's and trying to if I heard correctly the REF stories for the future, and I would say books not animation from what he has been saying. More RT comics out there for people if they want them. But I think it will be awhile in comming. Be interestig to see what pans out.

And on the other flip side. I checked out some more youtube vids, and watched one call Robotech 3D which was the opening to the Macross VFX PS game. But I was more interested in what was being said under neath it.

It seemed to have another HG & RT debate, and it was not nice. But what cracked me up the most was about how many people were claming that Macross Zero, Macross 7 and the other series were rip off's of RT. I just can't understand that logic. It to me sounded like that these people refused to see that it was another's creation. Others tried to debate it calmly but most of the RT uber fans just kept on saying rip-off. Which was odd as even these people accepted that Macross and the others were chopped and changed to make one series called Robotech. They even sounded like they though Macross has ripped off the RT designs. Wish I could understand that logic. Maybe some of them are part Tarded...lol

I think this debate will go on for a long time. With no real winners.

And for RT introducing anime to the rest of the world. I think they have forgotten Starblazers (which only the names were changed and not the story), G-Force, Speed Racer, Astroboy, AKIRA and quite a few others that I have propbably missed. I think they should wake up. They have may of helped to introduce Anime but it would be a big call to say it was all because of us that you now have anime in USA, Austrailia..etc. But it was in the 90's that more anime started to show up with no name changes and original soundtracks. I remember the first Guyver series on VHS. And people got more interested. I know as I have gotten older I have found more and newer series to watch. But I would say Star Blazers and the Quest to Iscandar was what first started to get me interested in Anime. And with the internet now we have heaps to watch. And thanks to the internet I learned more about Robotech and then Macross. And I prefer Macross. I have good memories of RT as a kid. But I grew to like the basis for the series. Macross better.

But one issue I think is the uber RT fans that refuse to budge there way of thinking. Time to grow up and see that there is more anime out ther RT is great for what it was and to accept that there will not be anymore animated adventures of Rick Hunter to continue his adventure unless he looks completely different as HG don't own the likeness of Hikaru just the right to distribute Macross in name only. Not concepts and the such. And all new mecha (but some how will look closely like Macross). But will that never happen. (I know that I will get flamed for that last comment but, it's how I see it). As Macross is the key to the start of Robotech. And without it they would not of have the start of it. And that is the part of the series that people liked the most. And the one that is most remembered as RT, as the other 2 parts are not thought of as much.

But as I said before the only way for RT to survive is to create completely new concepts and seperate it from the old series. Or try a reboot and redo it there own way. But the original series is now over 25 years old and has a part in American Anime history, but will have no future if they do not expand instead of trying to hold onto what they have. And to stop letting the fans control it.

Enough of my walfling on.

Edited by Smegalot

With Thundercats getting some new love I would love to see Robotech get a reboot. If they just steal heavily from the old ExoSquad plot line they could easily tweak the Macross Saga enough to be an unrecognizable and legal quagmire free opening to the series.

I just saw that clip, and it was a whole lot of nothing. I also wished it showed how many people were there. it did not look like much as there were front seats available.

The panel seemed more interested in their laptop screens than the crowd.....

But one issue I think is the uber RT fans that refuse to budge there way of thinking. Time to grow up and see that there is more anime out ther RT is great for what it was and to accept that there will not be anymore animated adventures of Rick Hunter to continue his adventure unless he looks completely different as HG don't own the likeness of Hikaru just the right to distribute Macross in name only. Not concepts and the such. And all new mecha (but some how will look closely like Macross). But will that never happen. (I know that I will get flamed for that last comment but, it's how I see it). ...

As I've said many times and many moons before, you can keep the generic outline of Macross, i.e. Spaceship crashes on Earth. Giant aliens come looking for ship. Big war starts. What they do in between would be free to their heart's content. They can get rid of all the stuff that made Macross and make it their own. No songs, no Minmei, nothing that would require importing. Like BSG, it can be done in homage, but it doesn't define it.

But as I said before the only way for RT to survive is to create completely new concepts and seperate it from the old series. Or try a reboot and redo it there own way. But the original series is now over 25 years old and has a part in American Anime history, but will have no future if they do not expand instead of trying to hold onto what they have. And to stop letting the fans control it.

With Thundercats getting some new love I would love to see Robotech get a reboot....

It's also the only way it's going to survive, but you can blame certain people and certain selling points for not letting it happen. I have said it too many times; RT has to be rebooted. At this point, it's a necessity. Unless you're one of those people in the panel audience, no one is going to take on a show with 20-something years of baggage to catch up on. They could have done it with RTSC but as soon as they threw in New Generation characters and then Lick Hunter without backstory, the baggage started piling on. They can keep waiting for WB but who knows when they'll do anything.

yeah a full reboot will save RT. And they can keep the same fundimantals. But changed the approach. Away from Macross.

But that will not happen in the long or short term I think. Promises and no give is the HG story RTSC could of been a great stepping stone. But No....

Robotech doesn't need to be rebooted. It needs to be taken out behind the barn, and put out of its miisery.

yes. that or someone needs to win millions in the lottery, buy the RT franchise from HG and do the right thing to it. Yet another year with nothing new from RT.

Robotech doesn't need to be rebooted. It needs to be taken out behind the barn, and put out of its miisery.

My response...

you can blame certain people and certain selling points for not letting it happen.

:)

I think HG is just prolonging RT death...Or maybe they hand it over to a real company that has experiance with making new Anime such as Bandai or BW and they should just get back to Real estate.

yeah it was funny in that clip that they were looking at the laptops more then trying to show the new stuff. They might be reading this right now..lol (I know that I am being evil with that last comment)

my additional 2 cents (one day I'll get to a full dollar)

yes. that or someone needs to win millions in the lottery, buy the RT franchise from HG and do the right thing to it. Yet another year with nothing new from RT.

Someone wants to do that with Firefly right now.

Nathan Fillion's 'Firefly' comments lead to petition concerning show's rights

yeah a full reboot will save RT. And they can keep the same fundamentals. But changed the approach. Away from Macross.

Is that wise, though? One of the reasons I hear Shadow Rising failed to materialize is because Tommy Yune wanted more creative control on the property. Well, we all know how Shadow Chronicles turned out - not a full on disaster, but clearly uninspired on many levels. Would you really want Tommy Yune getting his grubby fingers on any Robotech reboot?

As Keith said, just put it out of its misery, and remember the "good times". Or as Tom sorta put it, kick out these idiots before they waste millions of more dollars and wasted potential.