Voltron revival?

What did I tell you about hitting that crack pipe.

More like the Ice needle. <_<

Eh. When you integrate CG into hand drawn animation it always comes off looking like this does. Transformers, Aquarion, Frontier, this. It doesn't flow exactly right. The level of cleanliness for the animation between them may be a lot different, but it's the same thing.

Well at least the old "First Sommerset Strikers" Battletech cartoon pulled it off decently. At least they used CG only for the Clan Battlemech's Enhanced Imaging.

Wow! That clip looked even worse than the last one!

Agreed. It looks like Metalocalypse style animation and that doesn't work for "action shows". It seriously looks like something they barely got any funding for and said "let's just try our best with the $50 we got", so they took the job some little kids in China and paid them $50 US to make the show...lol

Just saw pics of the MattyCollector Voltron figure for Comic-Con......yeah, no. Also I don't understand why companies continue to insist on making Voltron toys THAT DON"T FREAKING TRANSFORM back into all five lions. Luckily I have the Toynami one. Was expecting a lot more from MattyCollector though.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it out of curiosity. The new recruits have awful personalities, worse speaking lines. The older characters were spared the most of the goofiness. The 2D animation was cringe inducing, as MEGAS XLR had better animation. The 3D was well done, and the action scenes were good enough to watch. Overall, the new characters kill the show for me. I know they are supposed to appeal to kids, but their personalities are so two dimensional that they are predictable and boring.

The new lion designs are something I can live with. Still not as cool as the '80s version, but pleasing nonetheless.

Just saw pics of the MattyCollector Voltron figure for Comic-Con......yeah, no. Also I don't understand why companies continue to insist on making Voltron toys THAT DON"T FREAKING TRANSFORM back into all five lions. Luckily I have the Toynami one. Was expecting a lot more from MattyCollector though.

because it's FAR easier and cheaper, thus more profitable, to make a basic action figure than it is to make a transformer.

that, and the "Average Joe-Sixpack" collector/fan of a series like VOLTRON is far more likely to be inclined to drop a minimum on an action figure

then they are to pay a higher price for a deluxe transforming toy.

in sum, Joe-Blo out there is perfectly satisfied with crap like this, and MATTEL full well knows it;

MatSDCC11Voltron3.jpg

TOYNAMI has pretty much taken care of the old-line fans that are willing and/or able to spend a premium

on a deluxe transformable legacy VOLTRON replica, which leaves MATTEL perfectly happy, servicing the johnny-come-latelys

and the Saturday-Morning-Cereal-Set, which is, of course, where all the REAL profit comes from, after all...

Edited by Shaorin

Mattel stated a while back that they plan on doing a Classics line. A deluxe toy with die cast parts that will be around $30 each lion and when formed together the robot will stand to about 2 feet tall. Available on Mattycollector.com.

Man I sound like a commercial.

Yeah, but will it LOOK GOOD? It's not hard to make a combining Voltron toy. But I've yet to see one that has decent lion-modes. Yamato or Takara may be able to do so now with a Masterpiece price point, but not any other company IMHO, and not cheaper.

Yeah, but will it LOOK GOOD? It's not hard to make a combining Voltron toy. But I've yet to see one that has decent lion-modes. Yamato or Takara may be able to do so now with a Masterpiece price point, but not any other company IMHO, and not cheaper.

what's wrong with the TOYNAMI's LION modes?

v3.jpg

v6.jpg

looks pretty sharp on the whole to me, pretty much an ideal blend of classic legacy look and feel, with modern articulation...

There's a lot of anime magic that goes into making the lion mode look good. Mostly bigger legs and the neck. Both of which disappear anyway in robot mode. I was kinda hoping for a SOC one. What they did with Voltes V and Daimos were pretty amazing.

Okay the animation is atrocious. But Wade's Lion looked cool with More Dakka even if it was Robeast fodder. At least we know the Galaxy Alliance would have mecha even without Voltron at their side.

Going over the head writer's responses don't count on Sven and Vehicle Voltron for now. They want to develop the current characters.

Haggar is dead. The Haggar nebula is her corpse.

it's obvious this is more aimed towards children what do you expect? The opening is atrocious and story predictable....but that's kids show for you!

The original Voltron series was a kids' show, but the opening was epic and the story was involving. So what's the point in saying Voltron Farce is just a kids' show?

I DVR'd it and its as expected. Bad animation, silly story.

The thing I noticed was that they stole the robot moves of the fake Coran from Batman TAS when Gordon was replaced by an android, but that was taken from Black Magic 66 so the third generation bite didn't look too good.

it's obvious this is more aimed towards children what do you expect? The opening is atrocious and story predictable....but that's kids show for you!

If the show wasn't featured on the same network that worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender, then yes, I'd agree with you. High production values, unique presentation, etc.

But it isn't Nickelodeon's fault, World Events Productions ok'ed this.

The original Voltron series was a kids' show, but the opening was epic and the story was involving. So what's the point in saying Voltron Farce is just a kids' show?

Exactly that, it's a kids show. We're not kids anymore, and a lot of kids in this generation would probably understand how the mechanics of this show works in comparison to us. I think the fact that the show uses characters from our era is to draw us older viewers who probably have kids into watching this with our kids.

Of course we'll probably go more in the route "Back in my day we didn't have rap! It was techno and we liked it!"

Animation stinks, yes, opening music sucks, yes, but to our kids, they'd probably like it.

Right now we've seen 4 episodes, and those 4 episodes thus far have just started to get the ball rolling so I'd say give it time it'll go in 1 of 2 directions: 1) Show gets a second season, or 2) Show gets canceled.

I'm still not buying the "kids today" schtick. Kids today don't have to have shows that are designed to suck. Nor does this generation of kids have to be stupider than the previous.

Clone Wars is a good example of a show designed generally towards the newer gen that "works." It's also vastly superior to our "Droids" & "Ewoks."

Edited by Keith

I totally agree with this point!

C'mon guys I grew up on G.I.Joe Tranformers etc. Do you remember G.I. Joe the " Movie" Do you recall when Cobra Commander was captured, held down by gaurds, got a mouth full of that spore stuff, and them ripped off his shirt in agony and turned into a primative cobra! I mean that was a cartoon, i must have been about 9 or 10 at the time and i thought wow ! this movie has balls!

I remember lady jay looking totally freaked out, for the first time she was really scared.

we are growing a new generation of totally soft kids!

I recall the first rip off of voltron which was power rangers in the 90's. I remember thinking my god what is this Model UN nonsense. with a youth center and touchy feelings carbage.

i just remember a time when shows has some balls... <_<

I'm still not buying the "kids today" schtick. Kids today don't have to have shows that are designed to suck. Nor does this generation of kids have to be stupider than the previous.

Clone Wars is a good example of a show designed generally towards the newer gen that "works." It's also vastly superior to our "Droids" & "Ewoks."

uh no

it was the same as every terrible robot show except they took out all the violence

I hope the hatchet job wasn't as bad for Voltron as it was when they turned Gatchaman into Battle of the Planets. Now that was a series they took a machete to.