Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time

JELEINEN

"Reign of Fire", had that picture with a Dragon getting ready to fight with a bunch of Apache Helicopters, somehow that scene didn't make it into the movie though.

The trailer showing Matthew McConaughey leaping to hit the dragon with an axe looked cool, until you saw the movie.

The trailer showing Matthew McConaughey leaping to hit the dragon with an axe looked cool, until you saw the movie.

Are you guys kidding? The dragon eats Matthew McConaughey, that alone makes it one of my favorite movies.

"Reign of Fire", ...

That movie was still good. Totally doesn't belong in this discussion. Korny action movie, totally fun.. B+

That movie was still good. Totally doesn't belong in this discussion. Korny action movie, totally fun.. B+

Agreement on Reign of Fire. After the shite reviews it got I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. Not shakespeare, but not meant to be either.....

Taksraven

"Reign of Fire" is one of my favourite B-movies. Astonishing FX, great post-apocalyptic drama, and Matthew McConaughey acting his ass off was fun to watch.

Do we already have an "underrated movies" thread?

Ask and ye shall receive.....

Taksraven

Technically, this isn't sci-fi, but given the physics displayed, it is.

Deadly Prey

This movie is definitely not sci-fi, but it manages to make Steven Seagal movies seem exalted and rare pieces of art...

that's great, I haven't seen someone do that since "The Sword and the Sorcerer" (it would qualify for worst fantasy film of all time)

That one was terrible beyond words and the special effects nothing short of abominable. The worst bit was that on the cover of the DVD it quoted some cinema critic saying "Better than Conan The Barbarian could ever be"

Yeah right!

Most of what's been featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, but one I was reminded recently was Puma Man.

Thepumaman is such a great, just awful movie. Mike and the bots just demolish it. I might have to pop that in the DVD player tonight as I go to bed.

Still hate Jumper after two years.

I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't a classic, but I enjoyed it. What part(s) in particular did you hate about it?

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

The fact that Mannequin Skywalker still can't act his way out of a paper bag even if his life depended on it.

that and it's got a totally half-assed tacked on ending.

:edit: honestly, it's totally possible it did have a real ending and I just didn't notice. by about the 2/3 mark I had totally stopped caring about the movie anyways. It's just so damn boring.

Edited by anime52k8

that and it's got a totally half-assed tacked on ending.

:edit: honestly, it's totally possible it did have a real ending and I just didn't notice. by about the 2/3 mark I had totally stopped caring about the movie anyways. It's just so damn boring.

Or how about the lack of an actual reason for Samuel L Jackson to hunt them down.

I actually JUST watched the worst sci-fi film of all time: The Blood of Heroes (1989)

WASTE of time.

I thought it was common knowledge that ANY post-nuclear war movie from the '80s (except for 2/3 of the Mad Max Trilogy) should be approached with caution, if at all.

Or how about the lack of an actual reason for Samuel L Jackson to hunt them down.

but dude, their teleportation powers could like, end the world and stuff... because... yeah :mellow:

Actually, I thought their blind unthinking hatred was the only thing that worked in the movie. :mellow:

Honestly, Samuel L. Jackson was the only redeeming quality of the movie. But if I really wanted to watch a movie with Samuel L. Jackson and nothing else, I'd just watch Snakes on a Plane.

I thought it was common knowledge that ANY post-nuclear war movie from the '80s (except for 2/3 of the Mad Max Trilogy) should be approached with caution, if at all.

There was another one, it wasn't very good, but it was bad in a very good way. Two kids end up in a fallout shelter in the (fifties)? with nothing but food and dective comics. They come back out in the eighties (looking to be 20ish...) after a nuclear war. They are dressed and act like comic book dcks (detectives) while everyone else is dressed up in eighties style post apocalypse clothing... For some reason I don't remember the rest of the movie.

Another bad movie with a scifi portion was "Deadtime Stories", it was a horror movie about a guy telling his niece and nephew bedtime stories so he could go watch TV, one of the stories was Goldilocks and the three bears, but in this case the three bears were bank robbers (think of the three bears from Bugs bunny fame - but they are people instead of bears) and Goldilocks had telekinetic powers.

Neither of those movies is for kids.

Another bad movie with a scifi portion was "Deadtime Stories", it was a horror movie about a guy telling his niece and nephew bedtime stories so he could go watch TV, one of the stories was Goldilocks and the three bears, but in this case the three bears were bank robbers (think of the three bears from Bugs bunny fame - but they are people instead of bears) and Goldilocks had telekinetic powers.

Sounds pretty lame to me. Is it an 80s special?

There was another one, it wasn't very good, but it was bad in a very good way. Two kids end up in a fallout shelter in the (fifties)? with nothing but food and dective comics. They come back out in the eighties (looking to be 20ish...) after a nuclear war. They are dressed and act like comic book dcks (detectives) while everyone else is dressed up in eighties style post apocalypse clothing... For some reason I don't remember the rest of the movie.

Oh, lots of them are "bad in a good way," especially if they were made in Italy. But, look at it this way...if you walk into a video store with your girlfriend, and she says, "Hey, let's rent a random film noir from the '40s!" or "let's watch a random French New Wave film from the '60s!" you have a pretty good chance of getting something good-to-great. If she says, "Hey, let's rent a random post-apocalyptic film from the '80s!" or "Let's get a random slasher movie!" your odds of getting something worthwhile plummet drastically.

• 3 months later...