Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time

JELEINEN

• 2 weeks later...

A little OT, but not worth an entire new thread...

I have no clue as to what they're saying, but. Surprisingly, this is kinda awesome. :blink:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81083960/

Oh sure, the helicopter hovering in front of the hero, and the guy jumping from the jeep were grade-A cheese. but the actual jeep crash into the helicopter was actually very well done. Wonder how they did that? Perhaps the 'copter was suspended from a high crane to keep it in place for the jeep to be jumped into, with cables/ramps/etc edited out?

ed: oh yeah; after a re-watch, judging from the droop of the rotors, that's the most likely scenario for setting up that stunt. also note the absence of tail rotor. hmm, wonder how they prevented torque rotation?

Edited by reddsun1

A little OT, but not worth an entire new thread...

I have no clue as to what they're saying, but. Surprisingly, this is kinda awesome. :blink:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81083960/

Oh sure, the helicopter hovering in front of the hero, and the guy jumping from the jeep were grade-A cheese. but the actual jeep crash into the helicopter was actually very well done. Wonder how they did that? Perhaps the 'copter was suspended from a high crane to keep it in place for the jeep to be jumped into, with cables/ramps/etc edited out?

ed: oh yeah; after a re-watch, judging from the droop of the rotors, that's the most likely scenario for setting up that stunt. also note the absence of tail rotor. hmm, wonder how they prevented torque rotation?

I don't know what clip you thought you linked, but the one I saw was completely awesome!

There's an awesomely bad science ficton film that I couldn't really remember the name of. Real B-List stuff. I know it starred Richard Thomas. I think it was called "Battle Beyond the Stars". All I remeber about the movie, other than Richard Thomas, is that the featured ship lookied like a freaking human uterus with ovaries (I think they used the same damed model in another move).

Edited by Wanzerfan

If you can't possibly remember it, and you think that's the title, but somehow lost your ability to check youtube/imdb.... Nevermind.

I just find it ironic that the ONE TIME Wanz says he's not sure if he remembers correctly is also the ONE TIME he's been correct about anything. :)

I just find it ironic that the ONE TIME Wanz says he's not sure if he remembers correctly is also the ONE TIME he's been correct about anything. :)

With one caveat, the movie in question was not awesomely bad, it was just plain old bad.

"The Ice Pirates" on the other had WAS "awesomely bad". Just for the name of the love bug if nothing else.

Ha, he just didn't want to readily admit to remembering such bad cinema.

and I always thought those were supposed to be boobs on that ship--I never got as far or complex as any "uterine" reference. LOL, I guess my youthful mind had not yet reached a sufficient level of perversion for all that, back in the day. :p

ed: that movie's one redeeming quality was Sybil Danning in Space. ;)

saylesbattlebeyond2.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

No, wait--those were boobs! Good God, they even gave them nipples! :blink:

battle-beyond-the-stars_2.jpg

Still, didn't have a thing on Sybil's--er, attributes.

battle-beyond-the-stars_3.jpg

Let's face it. They don't do sexpots in movies like they used to. Nowadays the lack of restraint or decorum borders on vulgarity; nothing left up to the imagination. To a 10 or 12 year old boy, a woman's cleavage is like Neverland, or Far Far Away--it's the stuff of magic and wonder! Damned if you'd know what to do with them, but you can't wait until you grow up and figure it out! ;)

Edited by reddsun1

There's an awesomely bad science ficton film that I couldn't really remember the name of. Real B-List stuff. I know it starred Richard Thomas. I think it was called "Battle Beyond the Stars". All I remeber about the movie, other than Richard Thomas, is that the featured ship lookied like a freaking human uterus with ovaries (I think they used the same damed model in another move).

Yes, it was Battle Beyond the Stars, and yes some of the same models and effects shots were used in another film, Space Raiders. Urban legend has it that Corman did it on a bet that he could use the same SFX on another film.

Taksraven

No, wait--those were boobs! Good God, they even gave them nipples! :blink:

battle-beyond-the-stars_2.jpg

Christ, this monstrosity has appeared in these forums twice on the one day. What are the odds? Are the planets aligning? Is it doomsday??

Taksraven

Okay, I didn't want to have to resort to such drastic measures. But you all leave me no choice (actually, more like: OMG--I can't believe I didn't remember this one sooner!) but to give this thread the coup de gras

teenagers from Outer Space has that one beat, it's monster was the Shadow of a Lobster...

Or "Beginning of the End", it's monsters were grasshoppers, they used real grasshoppers crawling over pictures of buildings for their special effects. I recommend both of these in their MST3K versions, especially the "Teenagers from Outer Space" one, it has two of my favorite riffs "Stay!", and "Dog Gone".

teenagers from Outer Space has that one beat, it's monster was the Shadow of a Lobster...

Or "Beginning of the End", it's monsters were grasshoppers, they used real grasshoppers crawling over pictures of buildings for their special effects. I recommend both of these in their MST3K versions, especially the "Teenagers from Outer Space" one, it has two of my favorite riffs "Stay!", and "Dog Gone".

I really find it hard to tell which one of those is worse..."Teenagers from Space" wins points for having a "Dead Hero's Head Appears in the Sky" scene, but "Beginning of the End" has the flat-out awesome "Deaf-Mute Gets Eaten by Grasshoppers" scene.

Tough call...

Edited by Gubaba

Yeah, the damed thing was so bad it was forgettable. Kinda like the original "National Treasure"; a friend, my brother, and myself saw it in the theater, and we forgot the name of the damned film while talking about it a few days after seeing it.

If anyone's intrested in a few coasters, Amazon.com has a few copies for sale just in case. :p

Edited by Wanzerfan

• 2 weeks later...

The Megashark actually has some competition.

(Quote-protected because Wanzerfan is a dumbass.)

Well, at least Roger Corman is maintaining his [crappy] standards... :p

ed: the practical side of me would have to go and ruin things; the first thing I thought was: Blech! this thing's basically mouths at both ends--how the hell's it gonna take a dump? [LOL, it's just gonna swell up and eventually pop! :blink: ]

Well, at least Roger Corman is maintaining his [crappy] standards... :p

ed: the practical side of me would have to go and ruin things; the first thing I thought was: Blech! this thing's basically mouths at both ends--how the hell's it gonna take a dump? [LOL, it's just gonna swell up and eventually pop! :blink: ]

I just want to know why it's growling... :blink:

Speaking of robots...I submit "Deadly Friend". Wes Craven should be ashamed.

Sharktopus...seriously? Sy Fy is taking this to a whole 'nother level, LMAO!

"Sy Fy original movie"=ultra bad SF

I always have to laugh at the roaring sharks. I guess ol' Bruce just happenend to have found and swallowed a lion out in the Atlantic :p

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but...

last%20dinosaur-ws.gif

Actually, I'd have nominated this one not so much for a "Worst," but "Best Bad" Sci Fi Film of All Time--but no point in starting a whole other thread. This one's effing classic, pure and simple. What was pretty neat and funny as a kid, is nothing short of damned hilarious as an adult.

The story's pretty flimsy, yes. The special effects are God-awful, true. The characters are pretty one-dimensional, we basically know from the get-go who's gonna get offed, fair enough. But it was intended to be a kids' popcorn movie, and it's B-movie entertainment at its best. Richard Boone really steals the show as Masten Thrust. Now that there was a man's man.

--"...I got a better idea. You stay here with me. *laughs* I like that idea, Adam and Eve, heh-heh. Now you tell me the truth. What's back there for you? Confusion. Frustration. Nah, here's where life is. Pure. Simple. Ohh, we could make love! And we could hunt. An' what the hell else is there?"

There's just no conceivable way anyone could pull off a reboot of this one--I just don't think there's anyone in Hollywood who could fill his shoes as Masten Thrust.

Edited by reddsun1

Part of me wishes filmmakers back in the '30s, '40s and '50s had access to technologies like those pioneered by Stan Winston, et. al. Ah what wonderfully politically incorrect, visually trumatizing cinema we could have had unleashed upon an unsuspecting public?

But then, there's so much wonderfully, hilariously entertaining schlock like that we'd probably never have been exposed to:

t-rex-hit-short-o.gif

and B-movies as we know them may well not exist...

Part of me wishes filmmakers back in the '30s, '40s and '50s had access to technologies like those pioneered by Stan Winston, et. al. Ah what wonderfully politically incorrect, visually trumatizing cinema we could have had unleashed upon an unsuspecting public?

But then, there's so much wonderfully, hilariously entertaining schlock like that we'd probably never have been exposed to:

t-rex-hit-short-o.gif

and B-movies as we know them may well not exist...

I kinda like the fate of the T-Rex in the original King Kong myself. Nothing says Ape Love more than having your lower jaw severely dislocated ;) .

Why does it look like the monster is showing off his giant metallic phallus?

LOL, hadn't noticed that before! There's plenty of issues to keep yer psychoanalyst busy with this movie, that's for sure. There's bound to be some innuendo in a name like Masten Thrust for your lead male. You could serve up leftover sandwiches for a week with the ham that Boone brings to this performance. But boy, what a hoot!

ed: LOLOL!!! Have fun with this one, for the Freudian pervs out there! :p

last-dinosaur-peekabo-o.gif

Edited by reddsun1