Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

So, is anyone getting this at all? While I can understand the felling of not wanting to get another VF-1 toy, I can't help but feel that this toy isn't getting as much love as it should.

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Will let everyone know what I think once it arrives unless somebody else here beats me to the review.

More mag scan.

That crouching position is pretty cool looking. And the shots of Hikaru and Max back to back makes the Max Valk look pretty cool.

So, is anyone getting this at all? While I can understand the felling of not wanting to get another VF-1 toy, I can't help but feel that this toy isn't getting as much love as it should.

I've got one on the way. :) As for the toy not getting much love...like you said - it is just another VF-1 toy so it's easier for people to be critical of something they don't really want anyway. I think very few of us really wanted or asked for a 1/100 VF-1 so there isn't much for most people to get excited about. My hope is that Bandai keeps a brisk pace with this line and keeps the non-VF-1 toys coming. Speaking of which we should be seeing new pics of the Hi Metal YF-21 soon.

I've got one of these toys on order, I'm hoping for a shipping notice soon (with my Grace VF-27 and DX display stand). I've got line art and similar toys waiting for comparison shots so I can get a good review of it done.

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Will let everyone know what I think once it arrives unless somebody else here beats me to the review.

That crouching position is pretty cool looking. And the shots of Hikaru and Max back to back makes the Max Valk look pretty cool.

Well never mind. Amiami decided, although I preordered, that they didn't have the quantity of items and apparently canceled it. Or, rather, the pre-order had an error and then disappeared from my cart.

I wasn't impressed with how plastic it looks when it was out of the box; and wasn't thrilled either when I transformed it to Gerwalk mode.

However, as a battroid-mode guy, I am happy with how it looks in B mode. In official pictures, it seemed to me that they are trying to make it look good by shooting in certain angles only. I was wrong. The B mode is better than I've thought.

Although, I think it's too expensive. And one of the wings are already too loose to stay in Battroid mode; I used blu-tac.

The degree of articulation is shown in the second last pic.

Also, in fighter, in the pic above, I think it's a bit crooked? I don't have a fighter mode VF-1 on hand to compare... and I am just too lazy to transform now.

And as a HI-METAL product, all the metals are in the feet. And also the backbone thing (as Yamato did).

I like it much more than the VF-19, and I am going to buy several more of the VF-1 if Bandai releases them.

Edited by ff95gj

How well do the missiles attach to the wings? Do they stay on securely, or fall off at the slightest touch?

Can we have a photo in battroid standing next to the Hi-Metal VF-19?

Graham

There is enough friction to hold the missiles. It would take some time to waear it out. :)

Sorry that I have packed my VF-19... I've just measured it from head (skip the head lasers) to toe, and it's 14cm. Hope that helps!

Glad to see they kept the VF-1J in scale with the Fire Valk.

That said, the VF-1J is gonna be a pretty small toy.

And the VF-19 Hi-Metal rocks! Just wonder why they left of the head lasers and head fin in the photo.

Graham

Too lazy? :lol:

In any case, I'm quite excited for the VF-1J. It'll be my first VF-1 toy and second Hi-Metal.

I wasn't impressed with how plastic it looks when it was out of the box; and wasn't thrilled either when I transformed it to Gerwalk mode.

However, as a battroid-mode guy, I am happy with how it looks in B mode. In official pictures, it seemed to me that they are trying to make it look good by shooting in certain angles only. I was wrong. The B mode is better than I've thought.

Although, I think it's too expensive. And one of the wings are already too loose to stay in Battroid mode; I used blu-tac.

The degree of articulation is shown in the second last pic.

Also, in fighter, in the pic above, I think it's a bit crooked? I don't have a fighter mode VF-1 on hand to compare... and I am just too lazy to transform now.

And as a HI-METAL product, all the metals are in the feet. And also the backbone thing (as Yamato did).

I like it much more than the VF-19, and I am going to buy several more of the VF-1 if Bandai releases them.

Was transformation pretty easy? Also, the retractable right hand, can it hold the gunpod without parts swapping? Is the heat shield necessary for transformation? Just wondering, don't mind if the chestplate is loose without it in battroid mode.

I've become a battroid mode guy as I grew older, I love posing battroids(I love all modes really, but battroid is fun because it's the most poseable of all). This figure looks like straight up toy crack.

I also think it is expensive, but there is a ton of small parts tooled for just this 1 release, so, to me, most of the price can be justified.

Wow, the VF-1J is almost as plastic looking as the Revoltech inside the box, but I am a sucker for Bandai Macross toys, so I caved in and bought one. Will play with it later tonight. Based on initial feedback from other members, I have pretty high expectation. Will probably buy the Max one too. Regarding the price, I paid less for the VF-1J than the Fire Valkyrie, which is reasonable since it's smaller, but I am sure alot of people will still find the price steep

Was transformation pretty easy? Also, the retractable right hand, can it hold the gunpod without parts swapping? Is the heat shield necessary for transformation? Just wondering, don't mind if the chestplate is loose without it in battroid mode.

The retractable hands are closed fists that can hold nothing. For the gun holding hand, it actually molds with the hilt of the gun. I am not sure what do you mean by "necessary" to change the heat shield... You mean you want to expose the cockpit in battroid? I suppose you can...

To Monster: A comparison against Revy Alien (I love this guy) and 1/60 VF-1S:

post-10384-127756437978_thumb.jpg

I shake like hell when shooting one-handed. And my hands are smaller than average people, mind you.

post-10384-127756438046_thumb.jpg

The retractable hands are closed fists that can hold nothing. For the gun holding hand, it actually molds with the hilt of the gun. I am not sure what do you mean by "necessary" to change the heat shield... You mean you want to expose the cockpit in battroid? I suppose you can...

*snip*

I should have worded it differently. Can you transform the toy without swapping out the canopy for the heatshield? I don't mind having the canopy show..I was used to it on the 1/55's and didn't mind that at all. Also, can it still be transformed without retracting the hands, and can the gun hand be kept on(unretracted) in fighter mode?

I hate keeping track of parts, so I'm trying to figure out if I can just transform the sucker without swapping/removing parts at all. Are there extra parts needed to mount the gunpod in fighter mode?

And one of the wings are already too loose to stay in Battroid mode; I used blu-tac.

Just to clarify, you mean the wing actually falls off without the blu-tac?

Or does the wing just flop around when you pick up the toy?

Graham

Just to clarify, you mean the wing actually falls off without the blu-tac?

Or does the wing just flop around when you pick up the toy?

Graham

Just flop around... Even before you pick up the toy.

Another member TD reports the same problem... On the same wing (left wing).

I should have worded it differently. Can you transform the toy without swapping out the canopy for the heatshield? I don't mind having the canopy show..I was used to it on the 1/55's and didn't mind that at all. Also, can it still be transformed without retracting the hands, and can the gun hand be kept on(unretracted) in fighter mode?

I hate keeping track of parts, so I'm trying to figure out if I can just transform the sucker without swapping/removing parts at all. Are there extra parts needed to mount the gunpod in fighter mode?

I think you can transform without swapping the canopy... (at office now! can't really check)

But no, you can't keep the gun hand in. The gun-holding hand is molded with the gun hilt, so it won't fit.

I think you can transform without swapping the canopy... (at office now! can't really check)

But no, you can't keep the gun hand in. The gun-holding hand is molded with the gun hilt, so it won't fit.

That means you'll need to keep at least two parts in hand for transformation unless you couldn't care less about the gun. I tend to either lost these sort of parts or stash them somewhere and wouldn't bother with them.