HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

FINALLY! An explanation of why we don't like Shadow Chronicles: we're too stupid to understand it!!!

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/7-robotech...;start=20#10268

MaverickLSC wrote:

As I feared memo, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles may have been too cerebral for most fans to take. Having a reknowned Hugo award winner and Hard SF writer of the caliber such as that of Robert J. Sawyer, might of been one reason why some fans cannot comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot.

I guess to really appreciated Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles you need to atleast have a masters degree, ethier that or dumb it down for the average otaku to comprehend for the next sequel in Robotech: Shadow Rising.

'Space whales or sniper mechs, anyone?'

As Azrael would say: "Good grief." :rolleyes:

Having a reknowned Hugo award winner and Hard SF writer of the caliber such as that of Robert J. Sawyer, might of been one reason why some fans cannot comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot.

Hey - he's right. I am too stupid to understand.

What's a "hidden underlaying" ?

Is that like people hiding under something while getting laid?

If so - dag. I missed that part.

Don't even ask me what "and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot" means.

Normally, I'd point out that using the same adjective in one sentence is a bit crude, but then again it's a bit crude to use the same adjective in one sentence - particularly when it's a run on sentence that doesn't make sense, let alone is not at the very least a sarcastic sentence that makes fun of another run on sentence that crudely uses the same adjective twice while remaining non-descript, continuing to run on, and failing to even be funny let alone achieve the amazing feat which is using the same crude adjective crudely five times, albeit not in a manner that is a subset that's hidden within the context of the plot of the sentence which has run on so long that it's become Hard Sci-Fi, worthy of getting laid in your underpants while hidden.

Pete

Dumb Otaku

Doesn't have a Masters Degree

Didn't even graduate High School or finish college

Proud Dumbass Otaku

Edited by VFTF1

FINALLY! An explanation of why we don't like Shadow Chronicles: we're too stupid to understand it!!!

So he's buttering up the childish response of "you're all stupid".

I like this Azrael-guy. We're like...sooo alike. :)

MaverickLSC wrote:

LOOOOOL.

There is a difference between understand and assessing the innate quality of something - to put it more simply: I understand a piece of turd on the ground when I saw it :lol: .

(Demographic Note: Bachelor's in Business Admin / Masters in Software Engineering).

I ain't even gonna argue with him. I might not have a masters, but my shlong is bigger, I can down more vodka than he can, and I have more moe dolls and Yammies than he does! That makes me inherently right.

Pete

LOOOOOL.

There is a difference between understand and assessing the innate quality of something - to put it more simply: I understand a piece of turd on the ground when I saw it :lol: .

(Demographic Note: Bachelor's in Business Admin / Masters in Software Engineering).

It's hard to resist getting into the "my brain can pee farther than yours can" comments in situations like this, isn't it?

Especially when the guy making the accusation is working on a film entitled "Thong Man and Yellow Schwartz." ;)

Edited by Gubaba

Hey - he's right. I am too stupid to understand.

What's a "hidden underlaying" ?

Is that like people hiding under something while getting laid?

If so - dag. I missed that part.

Don't even ask me what "and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot" means.

I brought up that very point: http://www.robotechx.com/forums/7-robotech...;start=30#10273

(I probably should've resisted listing stuff that I *do* consider cerebral, but oh well.)

So MaverickLSC made an a$$ of himself again by calling all the people who do not like or understand Shadow Chronicles stupid? Gee I wonder why folks thinks it okay for him to flame troll but I got sacked for doing it. Maverick is a wierd one, He bans folks for flaming then does it himself,,he a real a$$ clown of Memo I tell you! And maybe someone should tell Memo and Maverick that TSC are hardly sold at Walmarts and stores with animes.I know because I asked about it and it is known to have slowed down since 08.

Einherjar

Wow, you really believed a lot of things that came out of MEMO's mouth, didn't you?

Maybe alot of things he told me should have came out of a bulls anus per se considering that it was him that told me HP had a cyber crush on Sighup and Seto was trying to be my friend so he can sponge info from me.

I think Memo and Maverick are out of ammo and keep tossing the same "TSC is selling" rock. The lamest defence I ever saw.

So MaverickLSC made an a$$ of himself again by calling all the people who do not like or understand Shadow Chronicles stupid? Gee I wonder why folks thinks it okay for him to flame troll but I got sacked for doing it. Maverick is a wierd one, He bans folks for flaming then does it himself,,he a real a$$ clown of Memo I tell you! And maybe someone should tell Memo and Maverick that TSC are hardly sold at Walmarts and stores with animes.I know because I asked about it and it is known to have slowed down since 08.

Well, at least he didn't call anyone a nazi or insult their parents. :)

But...well, YOU like Shadow Chronicles, right? Why did YOU think it was good?

Pizza the Hutt

I heard that too,Memo beeN searching and by chance he bumped into Sighup at a con and suddenly RtX is born. And Jasonc I apologize for bringing up a old problem but Memo told me you were the first one banned for cussing him out.

No, it definitely wasn't because of that. I've never cussed him out. If I ever did, the ripples would reach around the world and hit him twice as hard, LOL, J/K Bus seriously, I was banned cause Steve Yun had a crab up his @ss, and I decided to make a point of how ridiculous his censoring was. It was supposed to be only 4 weeks or so off, but I never wanted to go back, so it was more my choice to not go back.

I'm not gonna comment on the incidents that got you banned, cause I don't go on that site, but as for Maverick, I'd have to ask, when does he not make an @ss of himself? I think he made a stupid assumption in that it's not like people don't understand RTSC, they don't understand how anyone could so blindly love something so pointless and stupid. The story is nothing complex as blatantly obvious. These arguments he makes, and general underlying attacks on his fellow RT fan companions is sad. The infinite wisdom of an idiot is wrought with disaster.

I'm not gonna comment on the incidents that got you banned, cause I don't go on that site, but as for Maverick, I'd have to ask, when does he not make an @ss of himself? I think he made a stupid assumption in that it's not like people don't understand RTSC, they don't understand how anyone could so blindly love something so pointless and stupid. The story is nothing complex as blatantly obvious. These arguments he makes, and general underlying attacks on his fellow RT fan companions is sad. The infinite wisdom of an idiot is wrought with disaster.

I don't think his reasoning needs to be analyzed, he said that because he knows someone is watching that place. :ph34r:

As I feared memo, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles may have been too cerebral for most fans to take. Having a reknowned Hugo award winner and Hard SF writer of the caliber such as that of Robert J. Sawyer, might of been one reason why some fans cannot comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot.

I guess to really appreciated Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles you need to atleast have a masters degree, ethier that or dumb it down for the average otaku to comprehend for the next sequel in Robotech: Shadow Rising.

Okay, so what Maverick is saying is that Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is geared more towards intellectual fans? Funny he said that, because last time i checked RT.com, he and MEMO have systematically banned all the intellectual fans who didn't want to conform to their mass delirium. Now it's mostly populated by fans who can't comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the plot of RTSC.

I don't think his reasoning needs to be analyzed, he said that because he knows someone is watching that place. :ph34r:

Well, let's analyze it anyway:

1. Turns out a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novelist was approached by HG in 2003 to write a "series bible" for a planned Robotech series.

2. Tommy spent a week with said author, working out the concepts.

3. HG rejected the series bible. End of said author's involvement.

4. Tommy put a "special thanks to" note in the credits for Shadow Chronicles, because he said he used some of the concepts devised by the author.

5. Ergo, Shadow Chronicles was written by a renowned hard-SF writer and thus contains TONS of intricacies that anyone who doesn't have a master's degree cannot penetrate.

*sigh*

Edited by Gubaba

Oh wait...so it wasn't even WRITTEN by that guy who Mav touts out as a mega cool writer?!

That's pitiful :lol:

Pete

Exactly. By the same logic, the Will Smith movie of "I, Robot" contains oceans of depth and significance, because world-renowned author Isaac Asimov wrote the book on which it is loosely based.

EDIT: Man, even Memo thinks Mav's gone too far...

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/7-robotech...;start=30#10285

Edited by Gubaba

Because it takes twenty years to get anything done at Harmony Gold, the official RT.com is now selling Robotech T-shirts!!!!!! (To answer your question, NO, it did not take a minute to design these in Photoshop and shipped by the thousands from a China)

crap.jpg

lame.jpg

And because you may dared to miss it, G4 TV interviews Carl Macek and Tommy Yune. Darkwater was unfortunately not present.

kiddies.jpg

G4 Interview with Macek and Yune

(Don't be offended by all the Macross footage)

Well, at least he didn't call anyone a nazi or insult their parents. smile.gif

But...well, YOU like Shadow Chronicles, right? Why did YOU think it was good?

Because it didn't have Space Whales.

Edited by chrisk

Oh good grief... this is easily one of the most asinine attempts to defend Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles I've ever encountered. Is he honestly deluded enough to think people will take an assertion like that seriously? He's gone from living in a fantasy world to being full-blown padded-room loony.

Okay, I'm game... in what way was the plot of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles cerebral? The story has no depth, subtlety, or nuance. It's a bland, samey little jaunt through recycled events, characters, settings, and plot devices which didn't explain squat. For the viewer to be aware of and understand the motivations of the Haydonites, they would've had to read the limited edition Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comic miniseries. There's nothing cerebral about not explaining anything and throwing the viewer into the story in medias res. Unless the viewer was already familiar with the original series, they would have no idea who any of the characters were or why they should care. In no way is RSTC's story "cerebral"... it's just weak.

Okay, I'm game... what does it mean when the people who have masters degrees think the movie has a weak, badly written story backed up by pathetic CG, spotty dialogue, embarrassingly bad voice acting, mediocre music? Maybe it's the other way around, and just the painfully ignorant and uneducated either can't spot a turd for what it is. His claim doesn't hold up... I've got a BS in Computer Science and a MS in Computer Security and I still think RTSC is a turd.

Somehow, it seems a bit rich of him to criticize these elements, neither of which is unique to Macross or really all that absurd, when Robotech's central plot point is that everyone in the universe is fighting over pseudo-magical flowers with inconsistent properties.

Especially when the guy making the accusation is working on a film entitled "Thong Man and Yellow Schwartz." ;)

Be careful... Maverick_LSC probably thinks that's the wittiest idea in the world.

Okay, so what Maverick is saying is that Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is geared more towards intellectual fans? Funny he said that, because last time i checked RT.com, he and MEMO have systematically banned all the intellectual fans who didn't want to conform to their mass delirium. Now it's mostly populated by fans who can't comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the plot of RTSC.

Unsurprisingly, many of the intellectual fans were banned for "enjoying suffering" or "being disruptive" because they were criticizing Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles... and they were banned by Maverick and MEMO.

Oh wait...so it wasn't even WRITTEN by that guy who Mav touts out as a mega cool writer?!

Nope... Shadow Chronicles was written by Tommy Yune, Tom Bateman, Steve Yun, Ford Riley, and Frank Agrama, with credit to Carl Macek for the "original series".

And because you may dared to miss it, G4 TV interviews Carl Macek and Tommy Yune. Darkwater was unfortunately not present.

I used to like G4... the only reason to watch anything on that network is Olivia Munn...

Um, ok, so back on topic - I love the part about (paraphrased): "It's still awesome and fresh when you watch it today." lmao. Guess translated in English that means - "25 years and all I have to show for it is a mediocre movie."

Um, ok, so back on topic - I love the part about (paraphrased): "It's still awesome and fresh when you watch it today." lmao. Guess translated in English that means - "25 years and all I have to show for it is a mediocre movie."

Yeah, at least it seems like they were basing that statement from the original footage. Seems like they totally disregarded Shadow Chronicles. Those two would've been perfect for the new Alice in Wonderland movie as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Tommy Yune has a great poker face throughout the interview.

Yeah, at least it seems like they were basing that statement from the original footage. Seems like they totally disregarded Shadow Chronicles. Those two would've been perfect for the new Alice in Wonderland movie as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

I find it really interesting that HG really stresses to the press that LAM is "in development" and not floating somewhere in limbo for two straight years. Oh, and Shadow what?

MaverickLSC wrote:

He must love getting made fun of huh?

anyway can't wait to see what brilliant argument he puts up

the next time he posts.

I'll settle for space whales and sniper mechs any day. At least I'll get to see an entire storyline within my lifetime and move on to other things like the rest of the world. It's not a life long investment.

One thing I'll never understand is why, of all the things in Macross Frontier, belligerent Robotech fans looking to defend Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles inevitably fixate on Michael Blanc's VF-25G and its sniper rifle. It's not unique to Macross by any means. The earliest example I can think of off the top of my head would be the massive positron beam sniper rifle used by EVA-01 in Neon Genesis Evangelion, which also takes the cake as being far and away the most impractical of the lot since it needed to tap the entire national power grid to fire. It's not alone either, the Gundam franchise has done it at least five times in recent years... the GM Sniper (08th MS Team), GM Sniper II (0080: War in the Pocket), and the Dynames, Cherudim, and Zabanya Gundams from Gundam 00. In the Full Metal Panic! series, both Kurz Weber and Sousuke Sagara use 57mm sniper rifles on their arm slaves at one point or another... and there's a host of other examples.

They can't ALL be ignorant of the fact that this isn't an original idea... yet they fixate on it anyway as though it was infinitely worse than most of the malarkey Robotech has pulled over the years, like the railgun-equipped ride armor, that stupid transforming jeep, and the wonderful robot pegasus from Sentinels.

This Maverick guy needs a greatest hits collection of bullcrap. He must think that Uwe Boll movies get a bad reputation because people cant understand the deep philosophical meaning behind them.

Funny that he made no attempt to explain what about RT:TSC is so deep and intellectual that we simple mortals couldn't understand.

This Maverick guy needs a greatest hits collection of bullcrap. He must think that Uwe Boll movies get a bad reputation because people cant understand the deep philosophical meaning behind them.

Funny that he made no attempt to explain what about RT:TSC is so deep and intellectual that we simple mortals couldn't understand.

I won't look too deeply into his post. It's just trolling bait.

They can't ALL be ignorant of the fact that this isn't an original idea... yet they fixate on it anyway as though it was infinitely worse than most of the malarkey Robotech has pulled over the years, like the railgun-equipped ride armor, that stupid transforming jeep, and the wonderful robot pegasus from Sentinels.

Yeah, a sniper rifle makes more sense than some vaguely defined Shadow Technology, which you need to spend money on additional material just to get a decent explanation for. But it's useless anyway, since it was really made to screw with humans, again, and then replaced with a vaguely defined Super Alpha or whatever. At least the sniper rifle shows its worth.

There's a reason why arguments like the use of mecha sniper rifles and the sort don't hold up (well, more than one) for their purposes. First off, what is the point of it? Does it invalidate the entire series? If someone's gonna nitpick trivial elements (I don't find them too trivial), then compare them to a series that failed to have much of anything positive, it puts Maverick_LSC's argument as just a feable flamebait. It's been pointed out, so there you go. If you're gonna defend Robotech, by all means, do it, but if you're gonna try to validate it by taking pot shots at Macross, you're gonna look like you came off the short bus everytime.

As an above average otaku, I understand the Shadow Chronicles qiute clearly, breast implants are standard eqiupment for all RDF female officers, saving ships with their crews completely dead (except for 1 robot) that have no strategic value is more important than saving their flagship with the last remaining source of superfuel, & taking technology from aliens then making it your mainline hardware does not require fuly investigating it and checking its safety first.

Oh, and the most important thing I learned from it, "I really like that little skull on your uniform."

Oh, and the most important thing I learned from it, "I really like that little skull on your uniform."

Aww man you just dont get it man the skull like represents like the ah thing yeah man it like represents...a skull!!! B))

Maybe RTSC would be much better if i was really wasted when i watched it. :lol: Anyone have a good SC drinking game?

One thing I'll never understand is why, of all the things in Macross Frontier, belligerent Robotech fans looking to defend Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles inevitably fixate on Michael Blanc's VF-25G and its sniper rifle.

It's because Itano himself disliked that particular point among others in Frontier.The ability of the original creators to talk critically about new works in a franchise, and the faculty for fans to form a different opinion instead of being required to following slavishly the corporate line must come as a real shock to these people.

Edited by hulagu

It's because Itano himself disliked that particular point among others in Frontier.The ability of the original creators to talk critically about new works in the franchise, and the faculty for fans to form a different opinion instead of being required to following slavishly the corporate line must come as a real shock to these people.

Like they actually care about Itano, or who he or anyone Japanese who worked on the various parts of Robotech is. Carl Macek and Tommy Yune made everything, remember?