HG and Robotech Debates

I wouldn't say they got their facts wrong, so much as they tried to boil the rulings down to something very short, simple, and easy for the casual reader to understand, a task that's next to impossible with court documents.

But they said that Tatsunoko won, and got the "author's rights," and that it was a big setback for Studio Nue, but everything else I've read (including Japanese Wikipedia) said that the "author's rights" rest with Studio Nue...

How do you figure?

They mention two court cases in the article. The one with Tatsunoko winning was the attention grabber. Whoever wrote the article didn't really get into the details to what the results actually mean, even though the point of the article was a failed appeal. For instance, it talks only about the Macross TV series, but doesn't elaborate what all of this really means for the entire franchise. They also noted the one with Studio Nue winning, but no further elaboration other than character copyright. Author's right and other complex legal terms were also not used, probably confusing what all of this really means. Also, they never followed up with the rest of the cases/proceedings that were happening at the time. In fact, this was the last article regarding the Robotech/Macross legalities ANN ever posted. They never bothered to go over the information TakNSDAP found years later, adding more to the confusion these days.

It makes me think this was supposed to be ANN's smoking gun to finally clear the issue and move on to other things. Everything that comes up regarding the Robotech/Macross legalities these days are mostly addressed in the Hey Answerman section from time to time. A writer for that section even admitted it once.

EDIT - Double checking, I couldn't find an article where they mentioned the case where Studio Nue won previously. They just rolled up everything into one abrupt article and never looked back.

EDIT 2- I'm probably talking about something else from everyone else here.

Edited by Einherjar

But they said that Tatsunoko won, and got the "author's rights," and that it was a big setback for Studio Nue, but everything else I've read (including Japanese Wikipedia) said that the "author's rights" rest with Studio Nue...

This causes a lot of confusion because Tatsunoko didn't win "author's rights" as most people know them. Tatsunoko won "related rights" in regard to the actual production of the series, think of it more as "maker's rights" while SN/BW retained the intellectual property rights that would commonly be associated with an author. This is a blow to SN/BW though because, since Tatsunoko has these related rights Tatsunoko does have a right to the name. This is why Tatsunoko and HG get to continue to block Macross Plus and Macross Frontier merchandise (well, not "Block" but rather demand a cut of").

This causes a lot of confusion because Tatsunoko didn't win "author's rights" as most people know them. Tatsunoko won "related rights" in regard to the actual production of the series, think of it more as "maker's rights" while SN/BW retained the intellectual property rights that would commonly be associated with an author. This is a blow to SN/BW though because, since Tatsunoko has these related rights Tatsunoko does have a right to the name. This is why Tatsunoko and HG get to continue to block Macross Plus and Macross Frontier merchandise (well, not "Block" but rather demand a cut of").

So, again, the A.N.N. post is wrong...or at least VERY misleading.

We're talking about his article, right?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-...macross-lawsuit

I was talking about this one. It was the last one they ever made and fans and the public made it the official result.

Actually, I was talking about this one:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-...ight-to-macross

This is the one that Memo cited as his evidence, and it says flat-out that tatsunoko has "author's right," which what Maverick LSC was using as his basis.

They mention two court cases in the article. The one with Tatsunoko winning was the attention grabber. Whoever wrote the article didn't really get into the details to what the results actually mean, even though the point of the article was a failed appeal. For instance, it talks only about the Macross TV series, but doesn't elaborate what all of this really means for the entire franchise. They also noted the one with Studio Nue winning, but no further elaboration other than character copyright. Author's right and other complex legal terms were also not used, probably confusing what all of this really means. Also, they never followed up with the rest of the cases/proceedings that were happening at the time. In fact, this was the last article regarding the Robotech/Macross legalities ANN ever posted. They never bothered to go over the information TakNSDAP found years later, adding more to the confusion these days.

It makes me think this was supposed to be ANN's smoking gun to finally clear the issue and move on to other things. Everything that comes up regarding the Robotech/Macross legalities these days are mostly addressed in the Hey Answerman section from time to time. A writer for that section even admitted it once.

EDIT - Double checking, I couldn't find an article where they mentioned the case where Studio Nue won previously. They just rolled up everything into one abrupt article and never looked back.

Heck i read those articles and they confused me. I think I would have done better if I looked up the actual court case ruling.

Also if you type in Macross there site will not show all information about the legal issues. I had to type in Big West just to find any more information.

I feel their site is little overrated and to say for the elitist fans. But mainly to promote the popular company sponsored shows. So chances are that HG has some sort of control on what gets posted.

One site I found said that BW owns the character designs while Tatsunoko holds production rights. And everything else is up in the air.

on the subject of memo aka Captain Capslock...

The only problem i have with him is His CONSTANT NEED TO USE CAPS LOCK.

He's kept all his points civil and orderly.

Just stop using the Caps Lock for your ENTIRE post.

But usually I just overlook his post/rant or skim through them.

Actually, I was talking about this one:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-...ight-to-macross

This is the one that Memo cited as his evidence, and it says flat-out that tatsunoko has "author's right," which what Maverick LSC was using as his basis.

Then what the heck is this?!!

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Sounds like a correction of the article Memo posted...

*sigh*

It really DOESN'T have to be this complicated...does it?

Someone is trying to make it complicated. That article is/was filed under not Macross but Big West. Even-though it relates directly to Macross. I also find it funny that the article says:

The ruling's impact on the US market is expected to be minimal if any; in Japan, the production of several SDF Macross-inspired models may be delayed or canceled, but no further immediate repercussions are anticipated. The rights to Macross spin-off series and merchandise will remain in question until Big West or Tatsunoko proceeds with further litigation or an international distributor (other than Harmony Gold) attempts to license other Macross products.

All I can say is I smell cover up.

edit:Forgot a word in a sentence or two.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Worse than Reba West? Surely you're joking!

Yes, it is worse than Reba West. Reba West is just a voice that can't carry a tune to save her life. Thje guy was trying to engage in a musical dogfight wielding a guitar in the cockpit. Thats the kind of stuff that makes Iron Eagles look good!!!

Yes, it is worse than Reba West. Reba West is just a voice that can't carry a tune to save her life. Thje guy was trying to engage in a musical dogfight wielding a guitar in the cockpit. Thats the kind of stuff that makes Iron Eagles look good!!!

I'd still rather watch Macross 7 than Robotech any day. Macross 7 is goofy, but at least it's pretty coherent, and the voice acting doesn't make me wince.

No wonder this has been described as a unique, complicated legal situation that would take a lot of time to explain, if the person explaining even knew what they were talking about.

I feel their site is little overrated and to say for the elitist fans. But mainly to promote the popular company sponsored shows. So chances are that HG has some sort of control on what gets posted.

Then surely this reviewer got fired soon after posting this gem.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/rob...-chronicles/dvd

Then what the heck is this?!!

That is a correction and a somewhat summarized version of the article posted a day earlier. The one you link to was posted on January 21st, 2003. This one was posted on January 20th, 2003.

Which leads us to yesterday's post from Gubaba.

TheLoneWolf makes a nice easy summary of the situation with links.

Sounds like a correction of the article Memo posted...

*sigh*

It really DOESN'T have to be this complicated...does it?

No it doesn't. They don't take the time to read and digest the material. People don't understand how to "lawyer" the readings. Then people start listening to asinine comments from people like MEMO or when people like Seto, or you, or me, or anybody else who understands how this all works try to explain things, they get confused because they just don't understand how things work. Usually due to a lack of knowledge about how this all works. It may be best to point them in the direction of building the foundation before we start putting up the framework.

So young, so naive. It's exactly that kinda thinking that brings idiocy like robotech into existence. You're welcome to hang out here, but I question your desire to do so since you have no idea what hot blooded passionate anime is all about.

No it doesn't. They don't take the time to read and digest the material. People don't understand how to "lawyer" the readings. Then people start listening to asinine comments from people like MEMO or when people like Seto, or you, or me, or anybody else who understands how this all works try to explain things, they get confused because they just don't understand how things work. Usually due to a lack of knowledge about how this all works. It may be best to point them in the direction of building the foundation before we start putting up the framework.

Let me put it this way...two days ago, I thought I had a pretty good handle on what was what in the rulings.

One day ago, I figured that actually, I really DIDN'T understand it at all.

And today I realized that, no, wait, I understood it the first time 'round.

Thank you, ANN, and your contradictory reports... :wacko:

Let me put it this way...two days ago, I thought I had a pretty good handle on what was what in the rulings.

One day ago, I figured that actually, I really DIDN'T understand it at all.

And today I realized that, no, wait, I understood it the first time 'round.

Thank you, ANN, and your contradictory reports... :wacko:

Our sweet little ANN is growing up, and on its way into becoming just like the big boys of media :)

Sometimes, the best info is not from sources that try to simplify things, especially when they are tied to making profits from the sale of DVDs. After reading their "simplified version", they only seemed to screw up the rulings, and made a mess of people who are only just now trying to get involved in this discussion (simply not a debate). It also is a great disservice that HG makes these stupid remarks like "We own anything that is Robotech" or "We can use anything Robotech". All it does is just create more ignorance of their fans that cannot comprehend the rulings on their own. And to be honest, those documents aren't too understandable for the masses.

I guess it's one thing if it's just someone misunderstanding, but the more this whole thing persist, the more it looks like just sheer avoidance of the facts. I hope that's not the case.

Probably a stupid question and it probably has been discussed before, but are there legal reasons why HG had not used any Southern Cross mecha in Shadow Chronicles?

Taksraven

Probably a stupid question and it probably has been discussed before, but are there legal reasons why HG had not used any Southern Cross mecha in Shadow Chronicles?

Given that they've released Southern Cross merchandise in the past, and that they had no qualms about using Southern Cross characters in the Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles movie, your guess is as good as mine. It could be that they wanted a consistent design aesthetic (and let's face it, Robotech's nature means that doing that limits you to one saga at a time), or just that they remembered how unpopular the Masters Saga was and resolved to avoid using the almost universally loathed mecha from it.

Big West owns merchandising rights to Southern Cross.

You sure about that? Harmony Gold did release Southern Cross merchandise under the Robotech name... first with Matchbox, then with Playmates as part of their Exo-Squad line, and they're still selling merchandise (mugs, apparel, and posters) with Southern Cross characters and the Southern Cross Army logo.

Let's just put it this way: Macross rules, Robotech drools.

One day I will win big in the lottery (I'm talking 20 million+), at which time I will contact BW and purchase a license to one of the unlicensed Macross projects and release it in the states. When HG comes knocking at my door with a C&D I will take them to court and make sure everything is public, just so we will all finally know exactly what is HG has rights to.

:)

You sure about that? Harmony Gold did release Southern Cross merchandise under the Robotech name... first with Matchbox, then with Playmates as part of their Exo-Squad line, and they're still selling merchandise (mugs, apparel, and posters) with Southern Cross characters and the Southern Cross Army logo.

Yes, it's true. Which is why there's no Southern Cross stuff in Shadow Chronicles.

I'd still rather watch Macross 7 than Robotech any day. Macross 7 is goofy, but at least it's pretty coherent, and the voice acting doesn't make me wince.

Thats the beauty of freedom. Its your right to like what you like. I enjoy goofy, The Slayers is goofy, Nadeisco is goofy that clip wasnt goofy. To me, that clip screams of a pokimon and acid induced influences. No matter how much you can not like Robotech, to use that clip as an example of something that is prefferable for the sake of it not being Robotech is a stretch at best. Ive seen Macross stuff past the first series and theyve done better than that. If that is an example of Macross 7 as a whole, I could see a Macross fan complaining well beyond the complaints that the Robotech fans have made about the plot (or lack there of) Shadow Chronicles .

Which just goes back to my argument that the real problem with HG/Robotech is not Robotech as such, but HG trying to take away people's freedom to choose what shows they want to watch, what models they want to build, what figures they want to play with etc etc.

I'm sure one of the major reasons we have an "HG and Robotech Debates" thread INSTEAD of a "Macross vs. Robotech" thread is precisely that.

Otherwise we would all be picking apart the plots of Robotech/SC vs. Macross.

But apparently HG is doing everything it can to focus fans on legal issues because they themselves are more focused on legal issues than on Robotech.

The biggest impediment to Robotech - and Robotech fans are blind for not seeing this - IS Harmony Gold and Harmony Gold's unprofessional behavior.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Yes, it's true. Which is why there's no Southern Cross stuff in Shadow Chronicles.

You're crossing streams again. It could not be in Shadow Chronicles because BW owns the intellectual property rights, not the merchandising rights. Like Seto pointed out, HG has sold Southern Cross merchandise before. I have no idea how the Southern Cross rights work though, never cared to look.

I think the reason you dont see Southern Cross stuff in Shadow Chronicles is that it is(overall) the least popular of the three sagas. The predominace of ground pounders versus the romantic fashion of fighter pilots and jet fighters has made it hard to compete with the other two. And of course some people dont like Dana either. I myself like the saga and I appreciate the ground pounder aspect of it (being an ex-ground pounder myself). I also think that they wanted to keep the equipment in the series as much New Gen' as possible, it makes sence to keep it New Gen'. It wouldve been a bad idea to use Spartas when you never saw them in New Gen'. If I were to haveplanned it out, I wouldve introduce ground units in Shadow Rising and they would be a natural progression from the Sparta and A.G.A.X. in addition to the Cyclone and Synchro Tank and other New Gen' equipment.

Which just goes back to my argument that the real problem with HG/Robotech is not Robotech as such, but HG trying to take away people's freedom to choose what shows they want to watch, what models they want to build, what figures they want to play with etc etc.

I'm sure one of the major reasons we have an "HG and Robotech Debates" thread INSTEAD of a "Macross vs. Robotech" thread is precisely that.

Otherwise we would all be picking apart the plots of Robotech/SC vs. Macross.

But apparently HG is doing everything it can to focus fans on legal issues because they themselves are more focused on legal issues than on Robotech.

The biggest impediment to Robotech - and Robotech fans are blind for not seeing this - IS Harmony Gold and Harmony Gold's unprofessional behavior.

Pete

Trust me, more fans than you can believe arent exactly happy with the way that H.G. is running the product, I cant tell you how many 85'ers I know were let down with Shadow Chronicles and the lackof product before during and after it. Its fallen off the radar of most.

It also is a great disservice that HG makes these stupid remarks like "We own anything that is Robotech" or "We can use anything Robotech". All it does is just create more ignorance of their fans that cannot comprehend the rulings on their own.

Legally speaking, there is nothing wrong with those statements from HG. It is only fan interpretation of those statements (i.e. substitute Robotech with Macross/Southern Cross/etc) that confuses the statement and makes it very wrong.

And to be honest, those documents aren't too understandable for the masses.

Most legal documents are written to be very specific, with lots of vocabulary not used in normal-everyday conversation. If it wasn't, it would be "subject to interpretation" more so than it should be. And that would bring up more headaches.

Again, this isn't our problem how they treat their fans and web community. If that's how they want to run their business, that's how they'll want to run their business.

You're crossing streams again. It could not be in Shadow Chronicles because BW owns the intellectual property rights, not the merchandising rights. Like Seto pointed out, HG has sold Southern Cross merchandise before. I have no idea how the Southern Cross rights work though, never cared to look.

Neither do I. I would have to dig around for Southern Cross material and figure out who did what. After that, I'm not sure how much further I can go since anymore would involve looking at the contract between BW and Tatsunoko for Southern Cross and that's a definite no-go.

Yeah, well - being off the radar alone isn't bad. I mean, Transformers was off the radar for a few years too - but look how the fan community flourished back then? You had lots of great fanfiction, great fan websites went up, dealers, conventions, fan comics - and eventually Hasbro got back on the bandwagon with Beast Wars and lots of good stuff later.

For all the complaining I do nowadays about Transformers - I realize that I'm complaining about something that has sort of become a victim of its' own success.

Seriously - it's HARD to expect people to remain interested in a dead product based on a show that turned out not to ever have really existed, and what's worse, a show whose three component parts are more interesting as stand alones seen in the original Japanese than as a hybrid with bad dubs.

But Robotech fans themselves are to blame - although...I can't "blame" them for being to blame...if that makes sense...lemme try an' explain:

See - what defines a fan of a given franchise, I think, is a level of dedication bordering on psychotic (and I mean that as a compliment). Take Gubaba for instance. He knows everything and spend hours translating things lots of us have never heard of (or at least I haven't) and actually takes the time to write long essays pointing out misperceptions. Same for Seto who is on top of the legal issues, or Mr. March who has a website and is on top of fictional mecha science...

Now - it's a given that this level of dedication is characteristic of a segment of the market - not the "casual" consumer of "cartoons" or "toys" - but a very dedicated type who is attached to a story and a mythology on a level bordering on religious commitment.

My point?

Imagine someone attaching themselves to Robotech like that? Well - if you really want to be a commited fan, you want to know EVERYTHING - the history behind the show, the details....but Robotech is unique insofar as the more you dig, the more you see one thing springing up time an time again: MACROSS.

And not "the Macross saga" but MACROSS - as in the original, Japanese Macross.

As hard as you might try to ignore or avoid it, it is almost unimaginable that the things you love about Robotech (the love triangle, the mecha, the characters) won't eventually bring you to MACROSS.

And then the dilemna appears: you see the Japanese original and compare it to Robotech and discover that - hey - this Japanese thing is really, really great. And you appreciate what might have inspired the creators of Robotech to bring this great stuff to America 20 years ago - and you also realize that Robotech was just a vehicle meant to introduce Americans and westerners in general to the wonders not just of Macross, but of Japanese anime - which you suddenly begin to fall in love with.

And what remains of Robotech? Well - a fond memory, the Paladium games if you played them as a kid, and the thrill of the imaginative adventure that you once experienced but now know to have been a small sampling of a much larger and more fantastic world that you suddenly fall in love with - Macross and Japanese anime as a whole.

OR

You realize all of this and conclude:

Thank GOD Harmony Gold made something worthwhile out of all this retarded Japanese crap, cut out that horrible singing and replaced it with seriously good music and then got rid of the whole music/culture/love theme and made it about psychedelic flowers and generic space ships and transforming robots fighting bug like aliens!

and then you see Shadow Chronicles and wonder aloud why this is not being nominated for an Oscar for the third straight year in a row?

To me - it is hard to imagine that the second type of person exists.

I watch Doug Bendo on youtube. I don't even need to listen to what he is saying - it is enough to look at his desk. His screensaver is some splash from Robotech...but...where are the awesome figures? Where is the collection?

Who out there is proud of and cherishes their "MASTERPIECE" Robotech collection? Where is the "strike a pose" thread for those and on what forum?

Where are the gamers who can't get enough of piloting their "veritech fighters" into battle? Oh...they're all playing Macross VF-X?...ooops...

See - this is the problem with being a 'Robotech Fan' - it is NOT POSSIBLE.

By definition - a fan is someone seriously commited - and if you're going to seriously commit to Robotech - it will lead you to Macross.

At which point you either decide to leave your brain at the door and just believe everything Harmony Gold says OR...you begin to really enjoy Macross...and start building Frontier kits and striving for the latest Yamato release and singing along to Sheryl and Ranka's songs...

Somebody tell me I'm wrong here and show me some good, high quality Robotech fan sites and fanfiction and fan art and fan discussion?

Somebody point me to a thread full of serious analysis of the Robotech novels?

That's a fairly big body of literature...and it seems nobody cares about it at all?

It's hard to care for something that turned out to be the 1980s equivalent of bootlegged pirate DVDs from Tanzania.

Pete

Pete

I think the reason you dont see Southern Cross stuff in Shadow Chronicles is that it is(overall) the least popular of the three sagas.

Which is true. SC was cancelled because of low ratings.

Facts about SD Southern Cross.

*Big West was the sponsor

*created by Studio Nue and Artland

*entirely produced by Tatsunoko

So Tatsunoko get production credit only much like SDF Macross TV and DYRL.

But mechanical designs are a bit vague as it is said that its sister studio Ammonite was responsible for them.

So my analysis is that Big West has the IP while Tsunoko gets credit for production and mechanical designs made by Ammonite.