HG and Robotech Debates

From what I understand now, Protoculture is a precursor civilization that got turned into fuel and manifests as a sentient space flower that sings but also produces energy , and that when two people kiss, that energy is released, which can then get people high and/or cooked.

And you wonder why Holywood studios aren't falling over each other trying to get dibs on the Robotech live action movie with a plot like that?

Pete

Well...I've never seen the Remastered, Extended Robotech, and *I* remember that scene from when I watched it on TV oh so many years ago...

Alright. So Dolza did apparently shout Protoculture.

@Feriflug

You frogot to mention that instead of a space fold it'll be a Stargate that sends them to the edge of the solar system. ^_^

Indeed.

So he sticks his head in the oven to get high?!

:lol:

Only when he isn't firing all of his heroin with one big shot from his wave motion gun.

What? You dont scream "Gasoline!" everytime you see 2 tiny people making out?

That's it. Dolza was just trying to sing the song "Fuel."

Gimme Fuel Protoculture,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire,

Ooh!

...Or maybe the old guy was simply having a case of Alzheimers and was thinking back to the last time he filled up the Gas tank on his mobile fortress. Those mobile fortress gas tanks just take FORVEVER to fill up at the pump and the worst part is that the cost per gallon of Protoculture is astronomical because the Robotech Masters at OPEC keep coming up with some excuse that they only have so little left cause the Invid raided most of their supplies or something when everyone knows the stuff grows like a weed.

It think it's more likely that the Robotech writers were making up the Protoculture stuff as they went along. So they references to it in the Macross Saga don't square with what they later say it is in the Masters Saga and New Generation.

But it's a mistake, pure and simple. And, as the first mention of Protoculture in the show, it's a pretty big mistake at that.

Translation = it was the 80's :lol:

HG only got serious about all these odd quirks when they made money and did the expanded universe.

It think it's more likely that the Robotech writers were making up the Protoculture stuff as they went along. So they references to it in the Macross Saga don't square with what they later say it is in the Masters Saga and New Generation.

Yeah, right. And Bob Budiansky didn't give serious deep thought to the development of the Transformers mythos, but just sort of fell into the job and wanted out as soon as he could.

Riiight.

The fact is that Jack McKinney was laying the conceptual groundwork for Robotech while he was still a research assistant at NASA. When the Apollo mission succeeded in landing on the moon, McKinney's imagination shot forward to Robotech - and he worked on that series for 20 years before technology and the market caught up with his genius.

Instead of reading all those Japanese books and hanging around on the internet all day - go check out "The Lonely Soldier Boy: the McKinney Autobiography" and "Sentinel: Guarding the Flame of Truth" by Jack Baker (no relation to the Robotech character, who was based on McKinney's uncle, Jack Baker).

The story is all there.

Of course, if all you do is sit around watching Macross all day and pretending to understand what they are saying - you will never know this.

But I am confident that Macross-drones will finally see the truth.

When?

Oh - just as soon as the new Robotech 46 EPISODE SERIES airs on Cartoon Network. Yeah - that's right. Hah hah. It's just around the corner. You guys just wait and see. Harmony Gold just needs to iron out the deal with the banks and the Koreans and it'll take off like a rocket! There's be Janice fans lining the streets and an Alpha Fighter in every happy meal!

You guys are all gonna be soooo embarassed for watching this lolicon Macross stuff !

Pete

That was part of the old site, they have a new Flash Based site now.

Someone is using the excuse that since this page was taken down, they lost the rights for these designs. On the new site does it have an update of this for curious browsers? It would have been easier to find if they still had the English counterpart like the old site.

What? You dont scream "Gasoline!" everytime you see 2 tiny people making out?

Isn't there some hip-hop dance song that says some like "Gimme more Gasolina?" Perhaps that'll be the big track to the new RTLAM??? The guys and girls makeout, and the track starts to play, then the aliens (not Zentraedi) start dancing and throwing the proverbial "alien benjamins" in the air while drinking cristal. Wow, you guys, I so can't wait to watch this movie.

Isn't there some hip-hop dance song that says some like "Gimme more Gasolina?" Perhaps that'll be the big track to the new RTLAM??? The guys and girls makeout, and the track starts to play, then the aliens (not Zentraedi) start dancing and throwing the proverbial "alien benjamins" in the air while drinking cristal. Wow, you guys, I so can't wait to watch this movie.

Yeah, a terrible song by Daddy Yankee called Gasolina.

Someone is using the excuse that since this page was taken down, they lost the rights for these designs. On the new site does it have an update of this for curious browsers? It would have been easier to find if they still had the English counterpart like the old site.

My guess is that, back then, that announcement was put up there to reassure current and potential business partners that Big West still retained Macross' intellectual property rights. Now that the intellectual property is a non-issue (except to the uninformed and those who willingly stick their heads in the sand), Big West probably saw no reason to keep it up.

If Dolza knew any better, he should have just shouted "EXO!"

That's where the blame always is anyways.

Pete

Bad idea. You never interrupt the EXO from eating his frackin chicken or alcohol unless your Adama.

So did anyone define was makes Robotech unique without reverting to the original series yet?

I say its the good ole' American BS cartoon editing, but that is just me.

Really all Harmony Gold has to do though is call "Trek Support" and reboot their franchise... after terminating the vermin process. :lol:

Edited by Freiflug88

So did anyone define was makes Robotech unique without reverting to the original series yet?

From what I gather Robotech has religious undertone to it. So when Rick and Lisa kiss and Dolza yells "PROTOCULTURE!!". He's condemning them for sinning and asking for fuel to cleanse them of thier sins. Because apparently Lisa is never supposed to kiss, touch, look at a man or have any intelligence. And in her doing so makes her a witch and burnnig the lot of them sets them free.

So I'm thinking it was a failed religious cartoon then HG bought the rights and made Robotech.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Their other theme song will include the new version of Lonely Soldier Boy now renamed as 'Lonely Soulja Boi' TOMMMYYYY YYYUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!!! CRANK THAT SOULJA BOI!!!!!! TOMMMYYYYYY YUUUUUUUUUUUNNNE!!!!!! B))

I think you scared off the person that could have answered that question. I thought it was important enough to ask considering the future of the series.

I'll take a stab at it; the narrator, or the in-universe metaphor of Carl Macek they recently killed off.

I think you scared off the person that could have answered that question. I thought it was important enough to ask considering the future of the series.

I'll take a stab at it; the narrator, or the in-universe metaphor of Carl Macek they recently killed off.

You may be on to something.

There is the possibility that the lack of a narrator in RTSC is what made it fail.

And why HG has not been able to produce a series.

Not that I've been able to find... of course half the time the Macross.co.jp won't even load for me.

That it was taken down during the redesign of the site means nothing, the court documents which say the exact same thing are still quite accessible, and the judgments have not been reversed.

Not that I've seen... there is the occasional attempt to hold Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech 3000 up as answers, but it doesn't really hold water since both were canceled, and Sentinels bridged the gap between two installments of the TV series. Occasionally someone tries to hold the comics and McKinney novels up as the answer too, but that falls apart on the premise that most of them are just repetitions of, or expansions upon, the TV series.

Really, I guess the only things that make Robotech "unique" are the storyline edits... the magical flower fuel and all that tripe.

You may be on to something.

There is the possibility that the lack of a narrator in RTSC is what made it fail.

And why HG has not been able to produce a series.

Well think about it; compared to all three original series they used the narrator sparingly of not at all. Carl Macek, the narrator, would drone on using a lot of unnecessary words and appearing in a lot more episodes while the originals were just straight to the point or let the actions on the screen explain themselves. Take him away and you're a little bit closer to what the original series were like, except for the dub changes.

such odd censorship replacements... but yeah minmei slept around in the novels

In the comics too... the Waltrips turned her into the Pioneer Mission bicycle... every senior officer had a ride. Rick Hunter, Jonathan Wolfe, T.R. Edwards, and they confirmed that she had also been f*cking her cousin Kyle on the side... and those are just the first four she could think of.

In the comics too... the Waltrips turned her into the Pioneer Mission bicycle... every senior officer had a ride. Rick Hunter, Jonathan Wolfe, T.R. Edwards, and they confirmed that she had also been f*cking her cousin Kyle on the side... and those are just the first four she could think of.

Why am i suddenly glad I did not read the novels? :blink:

Promiscuous Minmay....

I'm trying not to picture or match Reba West voice with anything of erotic nature.

I know Awkward moment.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Why am i suddenly glad I did not read the novels? :blink:

Promiscuous Minmay....

I'm trying not to picture or match Reba West voice with anything of erotic nature.

I know Awkward moment.

Be glad you didn't read the comics either... it was just UNSETTLING seeing Kyle and Edwards wrestling over a gun and having Edwards shouting about how bad Minmei is in bed.

How, why, with who, when and please say th writer is no longer writing.

I died a little inside.

Well, one of the writers died of cancer in 1996, so it's safe to say he isn't writing. :(

Of the "Jack McKinney" team, I've never read anything else by James Luceno, but Brian Daley (R.I.P.) wasn't a bad writer. Granted, he mostly did Star Wars tie-ins and things of that nature, but even those were pretty good, as such things go.

Guys - are you brain dead?

The most unique thing about Robotech is - let me count the way:

1. Transforming airplanes which turn into robots (vehicles turning into robots NEVER was done before! It's the first!)

2. A mature story line where characters die (it's mature because they die - death = maturity)

3. An epic story line where all 85 episodes are perfectly connected by a linear well thought out plot (most cartoons couldn't even connect two episodes)

4. The first Space-based science fiction odyssey

I could go on.

In any case - suffice it to say that if it wasn't for the huge success of Robotech and its' massive impact on the imaginations of people everywhere, you guys wouldn't have any Macross to enjoy.

Pete

Guys - are you brain dead?

The most unique thing about Robotech is - let me count the way:

1. Transforming airplanes which turn into robots (vehicles turning into robots NEVER was done before! It's the first!)

2. A mature story line where characters die (it's mature because they die - death = maturity)

3. An epic story line where all 85 episodes are perfectly connected by a linear well thought out plot (most cartoons couldn't even connect two episodes)

4. The first Space-based science fiction odyssey

I could go on.

In any case - suffice it to say that if it wasn't for the huge success of Robotech and its' massive impact on the imaginations of people everywhere, you guys wouldn't have any Macross to enjoy.

Pete

I think it was also the first cartoon to have people with those really big eyes in it. Speed Racer TOTALLY ripped that off from Robotech.

You know, I'm just glad that Robotech created anime. Where would the world be without Robotech creating anime???

Their other theme song will include the new version of Lonely Soldier Boy now renamed as 'Lonely Soulja Boi' TOMMMYYYY YYYUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!!! CRANK THAT SOULJA BOI!!!!!! TOMMMYYYYYY YUUUUUUUUUUUNNNE!!!!!!

That's good, you're hired buddy for song selection. Also, don't forget to hire Linkin Park. I can't believe TF ripped off Robotech's idea of using them for a song in their movie. They should write more C&D orders right now.

How, why, with who, when and please say th writer is no longer writing.

I died a little inside.

Time travel shenanigans resulting from a fold accident... I forget who knocked her up though.

Time travel shenanigans resulting from a fold accident... I forget who knocked her up though.

I believe it was Rem, Zor's clone that got into that trashy American 24 hr 7-11 version of a fake Minmay. Robotech lost a lot of points when I read that book, but it's been a lonnnnng time.