HG and Robotech Debates

I see a lot of people making fun of the Robotech continuity and the "Macek editting" but if you look at the Macross continuity it's a mess also. With SDF and DYRL being a movie and Macross also being a movie and all that.. OY!

Macross continuity isn't a mess because Kawamori was honest about what it means. Everything is just an adaptation of some "real" story. SDF Macross, DYRL, and now Macross the First are all just different interpretations on the same story tailored to fit each format. Instead of trying to cram everything into place making the whole thing look inbred we just get some little nods and homages to past works while every Macross production stands as its own series because hey, they never know when another one is going to be made so why leave it open ended like Shadow Chronicles? Even Macross Zero manages to avoid some of the worst pitfalls of prequels perpetuated by the likes of Gundam's MS Igloo. Granted it still had to invent new VFs just because no sponsor would look twice at the series without some new product to market. This is probably Shadow Chronicle's biggest failing is that in over 20 years it has barely anything new to add. The most you got was some poorly defined "Super Alphas" and Tread bombers with guns on them. That's some real progress.

My point is the story notwithstanding, HG doesn't have the chops to treat it's product with enough respect to cater to the more sophisticated audience that has grown up on Robotech and caters to the more diehard eat up anything fans. They also refuse to make new fans by clinging on to the outdated 80s products they they just regurgitate.

The funny thing is, yes they just use the poorly defined Mospeada mechs for the new cartoon and then you get the new Mospeada Design Book and there are better Mospeada and Legioss redesigns that are use for the cover and chapter dividers and probably will never be reused again.

Also, they get the excellently designed Beagle toy and they make no moves to rescue it from demise, because they just dont have te resources and never will.

So from reading this, the stuff that makes Robotech unique apart from the source materials is some convoluted story perpetuated by novels that is totally inaccessible to new readers? I thought they disavowed all that extra stuff to behind with.

Is that what they're fighting for?

It's also timeless because it's a story that doesn't end, only because it doesn't actually have an ending anymore and can't move on from it. I mean come on, they brought viewers back to the day when the TV show stopped back in the 80s. It's like a comic book now.

Edited by Einherjar

The more Rick and Lisa there is in Robotech, the more diluted the characters become, and the less enduring their legacy."

Ive been saying it for a while, for Robotech to move on and use characters that arent in the "Macross" saga. If H.G. was to put the right staff in that would work on making a plot with non "Macross" characters, it would be fine. But, I dont see H.G. comming up with that notion, but you never know life is full of surprises.

Ive been saying it for a while, for Robotech to move on and use characters that arent in the "Macross" saga. If H.G. was to put the right staff in that would work on making a plot with non "Macross" characters, it would be fine. But, I dont see H.G. comming up with that notion, but you never know life is full of surprises.

Shadow Chronicles had next-to-no Macross characters in it, and it STILL sucked wet farts out of dead pigeons. :)

The way HG ended each generation was by either killing off most of the cast off screen, leaving their faiths ambiguous, or just stop talking about them altogether as if they never mattered beyond that generation. This isn't counting the novel explanations for everyone. With that kind of plot execution (:lol:), I don't think Rick Hunter is going to make it through the next sequel.

Lisa, Max, Miriya, Minmei, etc.? Who knows, maybe all of the above.

The current story is that they want to release the LAM and Shadow Rising at relatively the same time or something. Kind of morbid if you saw a young Rick Hunter in the prime of his life in one and then as an old man probably ending with his gruesome death in another. What's the point in doing a LAM sequel if they might spoil how he's going to end up with that kind of marketing?

Oh wait, that's mostly for the older fans benefit. But how are new viewers supposed to take it?

Re: The Novels -

I have actually only "read" three of them - the Zendradi Rebellion and some other two...Planet Killers was the one with the hackers and the other one was ...The Masters Gambit.

Are you talking about the Sentinels novel #4 World Killers?

If you are, I think that is where the novels jumped the freaking shark, but at least they somewhat redeemed themselves with Rubicon.

I think Big West's response to Harmony Gold's recent licensing request was more along the lines of "kiss our asses" than "f*ck off", Seto.

And about your banning from Robotech.com, Seto, I have to say that the site is better off without you. Let them die a slow, lingering, gangrene-laden death.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I think Big West's response to Harmony Gold's recent licensing request was more along the lines of "kiss our asses" than "f*ck off", Seto.

This is a Japanese company we're talking about...Big West's response was most likely, "Hmmm...we have to think about this," and then they just never got back to Harmony Gold.

And about your banning from Robotech.com, I have to say that the site is better off without you. Let them die a slow, lingering, gangrene-laden death.

I wouldn't say the site is better off without him...but I definitely think he's better off without the site. ;)

My point is the story notwithstanding, HG doesn't have the chops to treat it's product with enough respect to cater to the more sophisticated audience that has grown up on Robotech and caters to the more diehard eat up anything fans.

No kidding... Harmony Gold's creative staff seem to be terrified of anything new or original with the series. Instead, they're playing it safe by building the "Shadow Saga" out of nothing but discarded characters, set pieces, and plot elements developed by Carl Macek for Robotech II: the Sentinels, which combined with their dreadful writing gives the whole thing the look and feel of a particularly odious fan-film. They haven't produced anything that's actually NEW since 1986, and because of that they get little-to-no respect.

There's a problem with that... every poll they've conducted has shown that the overwhelming majority of Robotech fans name the Macross Saga as their favorite part of Robotech. Only a tiny percentage of the fanbase actually cares about the Robotech Masters saga or the New Generation, so they're catering to their largest group of fans they have by keeping around the tired, worn-out, lifeless remains of the Macross Saga characters.

This is a Japanese company we're talking about...Big West's response was most likely, "Hmmm...we have to think about this," and then they just never got back to Harmony Gold.

Whatever their exact words were, their intent was clear enough that Tommy and co. clearly read it as "we'd prefer not to be associated with you".

I wouldn't say the site is better off without him...but I definitely think he's better off without the site. ;)

Yeah, they're definitely not better off without me... but hey, if they wanna shoot themselves in the foot, they can go right ahead. ^_^

I couldn't possibly be prevailed upon to care at this point... it's a sinking ship.

QUOTE (Whamhammer @ Sep 13 2009, 05:06 PM)

There's a problem with that... every poll they've conducted has shown that the overwhelming majority of Robotech fans name the Macross Saga as their favorite part of Robotech. Only a tiny percentage of the fanbase actually cares about the Robotech Masters saga or the New Generation, so they're catering to their largest group of fans they have by keeping around the tired, worn-out, lifeless remains of the Macross Saga characters."

I understand the poll results, if Chevy was to poll customers if they would like Camaro powered with a dual qual fed 427 ci engine making 500 hp , a 426 hp f.i. 362 ci or a 300 hp v6 which one will they they pick? Which one cant they give due to regualtions? Polls be damned, I dont believe that "Macross" characters are in thier future, be it potential legal battles or otherwise, you cant have that franchise live in a twenty year period when its shown to have more than that available. What they need to do is work on "selling" the customers that the franchise can move forward without a "Macross" orientated character base for future projects, this is something they honestly havent wholeheartedly tried. If they were to work harder and develop better character development for what they have in S.C., work harder to make Maia and Marcus more genuine characters with better depth. They Honestly dont need another 90 minute movie , they need a series be it 13 or 26 episodes, build more plot, introduce better chracters, give a succession of consistand product to look forward to and follow. releasing 90 minute films every four years or so wont keep the franchise going anywhere but do its demise. If they make it interesting enough, the fan base will come in line, and new fans will come in too.

H.G.'s current and biggest problem (in my opinion) is keeping and generating confidence in the fan base. Thier fan base is thier biggest asset and thier most potent marketing tool, if they cant keep them excited, their fan base wont be the advocates sellng thier product to new customers. Well all know anime in the U.S. is affected by fans bringing new fans into the product. This is H.G.'s problem they need to overcome.

I understand the poll results, if Chevy was to poll customers if they would like Camaro powered with a dual qual fed 427 ci engine making 500 hp , a 426 hp f.i. 362 ci or a 300 hp v6 which one will they they pick? Which one cant they give due to regualtions? Polls be damned, I dont believe that "Macross" characters are in thier future, be it potential legal battles or otherwise, you cant have that franchise live in a twenty year period when its shown to have more than that available. What they need to do is work on "selling" the customers that the franchise can move forward without a "Macross" orientated character base for future projects, this is something they honestly havent wholeheartedly tried. If they were to work harder and develop better character development for what they have in S.C., work harder to make Maia and Marcus more genuine characters with better depth. They Honestly dont need another 90 minute movie , they need a series be it 13 or 26 episodes, build more plot, introduce better chracters, give a succession of consistand product to look forward to and follow. releasing 90 minute films every four years or so wont keep the franchise going anywhere but do its demise. If they make it interesting enough, the fan base will come in line, and new fans will come in too.

H.G.'s current and biggest problem (in my opinion) is keeping and generating confidence in the fan base. Thier fan base is thier biggest asset and thier most potent marketing tool, if they cant keep them excited, their fan base wont be the advocates sellng thier product to new customers. Well all know anime in the U.S. is affected by fans bringing new fans into the product. This is H.G.'s problem they need to overcome.

(First...if you want to quote somebody, just press the little "QUOTE" button in the lower right-hand corner...it will make it easier to tell when someone else's post ends and yours begins.)

I dunno...a lot of people have been throwing around the idea of Robotech getting away from its roots in Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. My problem with that idea is...well, if they did that, wouldn't it just be something new that merely had the Robotech NAME attached to it? "This has nothing to do with Robotech, but we're calling it Robotech so you'll think it does," in other words.

And it's not like Robotech is a household name that will bring in droves of people. Why not just make something new, CALL it something new, and forget about Robotech entirely?

HG has had twenty-five years in which to turn Robotech into a household name. The original series aired on many, many TV stations around the world, and gathered a lot of fans at that time...most of whom have abandoned it.

And sure, every once in a whle, on an anime forum, you'll see someone saying, "I just watched Robotech for the first time! I just finished the Macross Saga, and it was awesome! Can't wait to start the Masters!"

And then they usually come back disappointed, and start asking what the deal is with this "Macross Frontier" they've been hearing so much about.

In fact, I'll go further: Whatever you think of it, there's no denying that Macross F has been a SENSATION, and I think a lot of people hear vaguely about some association with some show named Robotech...and Robotech DVDs are cheap and easy to come by, so they pick it up thinking it's a good introduction (I of course don't know for sure this is true, it's just my theory, based on the fact that I've seen MANY more people posting about picking up Robotech in late 2008/early 2009 than I have at any time before. Feel free to disagree if you wish). If that's the case, then all the Robotech fans who say that Macross wouldn't be popular in the west if it weren't for Robotech now should turn around and admit that Robotech wouldn't be picking up new fans if it weren't for Macross. Which makes HG no better than, say, The Asylum (purveyors of such fine entertainment as "Snakes on a Train," "Transmorphers," "The Day the Earth Stopped," and "Sunday School Musical") in piggy-backing off of a more successful series.

Maybe my assessment is going too far...? I'm not sure. :unsure:

I just can't see HG turning that corner now. If the movie gets made and if it's successful I don't think HG will know how to take advantage of it. I think they'll get left behind and it'll be a whole new thing. Toynami will not get the distribution of merchandise and while HG will most likey be listed as producers, a new cartoon coming based on the movie continuity won't be anything close to what the robotech crew has in mind. IF it gets made...

Which Robotech crew are you referring to? HG's Robotech Crew that made the Shadow Chronicles cartoon or Maquire and his crew that will be making the Live Action Movie with the new continuity.

Speaking of which at Dragon Con last weekend several friends and I got to meet Richard Epicar and we asked him if he knew anything about the Robotech LAM or Shadow Rising. According to him he was cast and signed on to play Vince Grant in a Robotech Shadow Trilogy way back in like 2005 when they first started producing Shadow Chronicles. He also said that he was scheduled to come in for a recording for Shadow Rising when his agent got a call from HG saying that Tobey Maquire is acquiring the movie rights to Robotech and that he wants to be Rick Hunter in a Hollywood movie and that the decesison has been made to halt production on the Robotech animated trilogy for now, but that they will call if and when production continues. Since then their hasn't been a single phone call from HG asking for him to voice Vince or try out for any new Robotech cartoons so yet again all signs point to HG focusing all their attention to the Live Action movie.

Edited by Freiflug88

Their fanbase is plently excited. They all bought Shadow Chronicles and made it a best seller just so they could find out what happened to Rick Hunter.

A best-seller? Maybe for a Robotech show, but certainly not by anyone else's standards.

And then oh wait joked, he disappears to the magical land of Robotech offscreen.

and then, everyone was trolled.

Let's break down what it would probably take to create a new Robotech series, and/or movie, then:

-character designer(s) new characters (Tommy Yune, in house) - salary expense

-mecha designer(s), new mecha (Tommy Yune?, farmed out) - salary expense

-writer(s) to come up with a quality, original story - salary expense

-animation studio(s), farmed out (anime or anime-like style, Asia or domestic studio copying it) - expense

-audio & SFX studio(s) - expense

-voice actors/actors (mostly the usual people) - expense

-sponsor(s) to help pay for it - big capital investment

-toy sponsor(s) to sell the mecha and to help pay for it - big capital investment

-TV network(s) to show it (preferably a nationwide network)

-a distribution company to manage DVD sales - expense

-additional funding/partnerships from other sponsors for cross promotional material - capital investment

-advertising expenses (not like the recent HG treatment) - expense

-legal expense (since this is HG) - huge expense probably

They should have enough money, probably more than HG can realistically come up with alone, to maintain operations until a number of episodes are satisfactory to show in a public event or on TV, unless they're willing to cut corners. They need to avoid another Sentinels situation. It could take at least 6 months to 1 year to come up with something to show the public, depending on how many episodes they're planning to make. And probably longer before the company actually makes a profit (they have to pay their normal expenses, plus regular occurring expenses for making the show and their sponsors cut once they make sales).

Am I missing anything?

EDIT - Some form of marketing research (surveying). I tried it once, a company wanted my opinion on the pilot of Kyle XY. Got paid well for it.

Edited by Einherjar

Which Robotech crew are you referring to? HG's Robotech Crew that made the Shadow Chronicles cartoon or Maquire and his crew that will be making the Live Action Movie with the new continuity.

In this case, it could be both. But bets are being put on the LAM. If they want to put out a new animated series that will run off the success of a LAM, then they might want to hurry up and green-light the script that what's-his-face is making and start producing it. Otherwise, any new RT show is going to just sit there in development hell. But then again, a LAM could completely flop and kill any chance to bring a new cartoon out.

Let's break down what it would probably take to create a new Robotech series, and/or movie, then:

-character designer(s) new characters (Tommy Yune, in house) - salary expense

-mecha designer(s), new mecha (Tommy Yune?, farmed out) - salary expense

-writer(s) to come up with a quality, original story - salary expense

-animation studio(s), farmed out (anime or anime-like style, Asia or domestic studio copying it) - expense

-audio & SFX studio(s) - expense

-voice actors/actors (mostly the usual people) - expense

-sponsor(s) to help pay for it - big capital investment

-toy sponsor(s) to sell the mecha and to help pay for it - big capital investment

-TV network(s) to show it (preferably a nationwide network)

-a distribution company to manage DVD sales - expense

-additional funding/partnerships from other sponsors for cross promotional material - capital investment

-advertising expenses (not like the recent HG treatment) - expense

-legal expense (since this is HG) - huge expense probably

They should have enough money, probably more than HG can realistically come up with alone, to maintain operations until a number of episodes are satisfactory to show in a public event or on TV, unless they're willing to cut corners. They need to avoid another Sentinels situation. It could take at least 6 months to 1 year to come up with something to show the public, depending on how many episodes they're planning to make. And probably longer before the company actually makes a profit (they have to pay their normal expenses, plus regular occurring expenses for making the show and their sponsors cut once they make sales).

Am I missing anything?

EDIT - Some form of marketing research (surveying). I tried it once, a company wanted my opinion on the pilot of Kyle XY. Got paid well for it.

Item(s) missing

Someone with the Cojones to go out on a limb and try to make a new concept based off of robotech that has very little to do with macross.

A network willing to show it on; at a decent time.

They don't need marketing research. if they did that the SC would have never came out or would've had a better story.

The smart move would be to make 4-6 OVA's, close that particular chapter of RT and never look back.

Shadow Chronicles had next-to-no Macross characters in it, and it STILL sucked wet farts out of dead pigeons. :)

Believe or not, the reason why it "sucked" has nothing to Macross characters or the lack thereof. It had to do with not puting the right effort in the script and character development, it had to do with poor planning and the assumption that H.G. presented that the new products mere prescense was enough. Showing up isnt good enough anymore. Does this make sence to you? Can we agree on this?

I dunno...a lot of people have been throwing around the idea of Robotech getting away from its roots in Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. My problem with that idea is...well, if they did that, wouldn't it just be something new that merely had the Robotech NAME attached to it? "This has nothing to do with Robotech, but we're calling it Robotech so you'll think it does," in other words.

And it's not like Robotech is a household name that will bring in droves of people. Why not just make something new, CALL it something new, and forget about Robotech entirely?

HG has had twenty-five years in which to turn Robotech into a household name. The original series aired on many, many TV stations around the world, and gathered a lot of fans at that time...most of whom have abandoned it.

And sure, every once in a whle, on an anime forum, you'll see someone saying, "I just watched Robotech for the first time! I just finished the Macross Saga, and it was awesome! Can't wait to start the Masters!"

And then they usually come back disappointed, and start asking what the deal is with this "Macross Frontier" they've been hearing so much about.

In fact, I'll go further: Whatever you think of it, there's no denying that Macross F has been a SENSATION, and I think a lot of people hear vaguely about some association with some show named Robotech...and Robotech DVDs are cheap and easy to come by, so they pick it up thinking it's a good introduction (I of course don't know for sure this is true, it's just my theory, based on the fact that I've seen MANY more people posting about picking up Robotech in late 2008/early 2009 than I have at any time before. Feel free to disagree if you wish). If that's the case, then all the Robotech fans who say that Macross wouldn't be popular in the west if it weren't for Robotech now should turn around and admit that Robotech wouldn't be picking up new fans if it weren't for Macross. Which makes HG no better than, say, The Asylum (purveyors of such fine entertainment as "Snakes on a Train," "Transmorphers," "The Day the Earth Stopped," and "Sunday School Musical") in piggy-backing off of a more successful series.

Maybe my assessment is going too far...? I'm not sure. :unsure:

My first question is this. When did I bring in Macross Frontier (good or bad) or anything else in that post? I was talking about Robotech walking as far away as it can from "Macross" and instead going along with the 2040 timeline (New Gen./Mospeada influence), which of all people I would believe you would want . Do you personally want more "Macross" in Robotech? I'm talking about future Robotech products NOT future or recent Macross (post 1985) venutres. I have no interest in Robotech moving forward the "Macross" the timeline/storyline. Robotech needs to go in its own direction and succeed or fail on its future releases.

Second, Shadow Chronicles problem was due to poor planning and script/ character development, they didnt work hard enough to make a script that made the characters more likeable and compelling. They havent worked hard enough to plan to have a follow up to move the storyline forward since Shadow Chronicles. If the story is good and characters compelling people tend to approove of the product no matter how far away Macross would be from it.

Third , I have YET to attest to Robotech being such a superior "household" name, it isnt. I wouldnt even say Macross is a household name. I know many people who dont recognize Robotech NOR Macross with the name or footage. Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Harry Potter are household names, just about everyone has been exposed to these products. Anime products are becoming more mainstream but are far from becoming "household names" . I would be foolish to even assert that, thus my assertion that Robotech's (or any other products) fan base is key in promoting its product (and that H.G. owes it to them to make a better product than they have done recently).

Finally, the assertion that future H.G. Robotech projects should not have the Robotech name with it is ridiculous, just as much as it would be to suggest the Macross franchise do the same or you in future job interviews to go under an assumed name.

A best-seller? Maybe for a Robotech show, but certainly not by anyone else's standards.

No it was an honest best seller. Like number 8 on Funinmation's charts. The issue is that the rift between the big three of anime in America and the rest is pretty large. If you're not Dragonball then you are smalltime.

and then, everyone was trolled.

Don't forget the Wing Commander fans who tuned in to see Mark Hamil get his Colonel Blair on only to have him die without uttering his famous command from the games. They did it in the trailer though.

In this case, it could be both. But bets are being put on the LAM. If they want to put out a new animated series that will run off the success of a LAM, then they might want to hurry up and green-light the script that what's-his-face is making and start producing it. Otherwise, any new RT show is going to just sit there in development hell. But then again, a LAM could completely flop and kill any chance to bring a new cartoon out.

I don't think its just the lack of script that is keeping them from producing a tie-in Robotech cartoon. Every American made movie-tie- in cartoon uses familiar visual designs lifted straight from the movie so they are no doubt waiting for Maquire's team to come up with re-imagined designs as well. If the LAM is a complete flop I am sure it will kill any chances of making a new cartoon series with Warner Brothers animation, but HG will still have their die hard Robotech fans and could always fall back to continuing the lousy Shadow Trilogy. Considering that Shadow Chronciles was made on a budget of merely $1 million and that HG probably charged Tobey a few million dollars for the Robotech rights Harmony Gold might have more then a enough money to finish the Shadow Trilogy on their own in the future.

Shadow Chronicles should conclude Robotech as we know it. At the end of Shadow Chronicles the Robotech universe should be brought entirely back together, Earth should be at calm, and everyone should be happy and rebuilding. Then, if Robotech continues from there, it should have a fresh start free of everything that ever existed in the original show. Since Tommy is sitting on Shadow Rising until there's more developments with the LAM I suspect this won't be the case. I think they should have used the Shadow series to keep fans interested in Robotech during the development of the LAM. A new RT animated film every year and then boosh, the LAM and the Robotech universe is cleaned up of the shadow arch and ready for a new tie-in animated series to go with the film.

@Warhammer

It did start out as three shows edited together and then given the name Robotech. It's core revolves around elements from all three shows, with at least 1-2 of them now barred to them. What kind of elements can they bring over to another chapter to give that Robotech "feel" without being legally called out for anything? Like I said before, there's the risk that they can call whatever they make Robotech, but it could be missing something.

And it's not like they didn't try, there's that whole Sentinels curse and The Untold Story. They've constantly had problems with money, ideas, or a combination of both.

Edited by Einherjar

@Warhammer

It did start out as three shows edited together and then given the name Robotech. It's core revolves around elements from all three shows, with at least 1-2 of them now barred to them. What kind of elements can they bring over to another chapter to give that Robotech "feel" without being legally called out for anything? Like I said before, there's the risk that they can call whatever they make Robotech, but it could be missing something.

I will again go back to what I have been saying all along, Im copying this from a previous responce of mine;

"Second, Shadow Chronicles problem was due to poor planning and script/ character development, they didnt work hard enough to make a script that made the characters more likeable and compelling. They havent worked hard enough to plan to have a follow up to move the storyline forward since Shadow Chronicles. If the story is good and characters compelling people tend to aproove of the product no matter how far away Macross would be from it."

I dont know how to say it more plain than I have. Heck , half of you guys have even said it about Shadow Chronicles, they seem to have the wrong guys working on it and they didnt try to hard to make it the product that a more well planned organization would've. Theres no reason that Shadow Chronicles couldve been better even in the form it was, more attention to detail (Symphony of Light vs. Shadow Chronicles inconsistancies for one) wouldve been a good start, better character depth (even with the characters they had), a follow up project that had been worked it tandem with Shadow Chronicles wouldve been good too, if they make it an solid effort! Lack of attention to detail is where you run into a product "missing something", thats where you run into that risk.

Geez Exo, talk about coming out of the closet!

Taksraven

OH NO! >EXO< is secretly a Robotech spy! And he's infiltrated the highest levels of Macross World! Run, everyone! RUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!

I've never hid the fact that I didn't like Zero, which had the sissiest lead character ever... gets his ass kicked by a girl and picks up a broomstick when he couldn't win and Macross 7... well it's Macross 7... And Macross Plus had good mech action but doesn't really push the Macross story further, it just introduces new Valks.

To me it's all about the OG Macross. And if Big West treated it like HG treated RT, then I'd probably lose interest. But BW has always produced stuff from the original series that kept me coming back and stay addicted. I am a Robotech fan also though, but my interest wanes much like my interest for Bubblegum Crisis, Masamune Shirow, Megazone, Metal Skin Panic and Last Exile... there's just not enough product to support it.