HG and Robotech Debates

Yeah I was, but apparently I didn't do enough to support HG and their fail so I got the boot.

Either way I don't care, his site doesn't even live up to its meaning "for the fans by the fans?" yeah right

I've always known this only I was too nice to say anything, but not anymore ^_^ speaking of which

he might lose his moderator status on RT.com, Seto, myself and a few others contacted Steve and told him memo had been abusing his power.........so we'll see >_>

also my RTSC DVD is right in between Predator and Land of the Dead :lol:

Forgive me if this is a stupid quetion, by why bother contacting Steve, when he's part of the machine that implemented the fanwank politics as company rule? Do you honestly think Frank Agrma/Ahgama/Agarutter? is the one who said "don't let them badmouth us on hte internet!" Hell no, it was the new fanboys put in charge who implemented the zero toleranc policy to protect their ego's from the fact that "everyone" hates fanfiction, and that's all that's going on there now.

Forgive me if this is a stupid quetion, by why bother contacting Steve, when he's part of the machine that implemented the fanwank politics as company rule? Do you honestly think Frank Agrma/Ahgama/Agarutter? is the one who said "don't let them badmouth us on hte internet!" Hell no, it was the new fanboys put in charge who implemented the zero toleranc policy to protect their ego's from the fact that "everyone" hates fanfiction, and that's all that's going on there now.

Not a stupid question at all and I do see where you're coming from, but we just wanted to try and see if anything could be done. I do have a feeling no action will be taken, so that I'm prepared for but either way we just felt Steve needed to know what was going on.

Yeah I was, but apparently I didn't do enough to support HG and their fail so I got the boot.

Either way I don't care, his site doesn't even live up to its meaning "for the fans by the fans?" yeah right

I've always known this only I was too nice to say anything, but not anymore speaking of which

he might lose his moderator status on RT.com, Seto, myself and a few others contacted Steve and told him memo had been abusing his power.........so we'll see >_>

Yeah, that won't happen. Whenever Tommy goes someplace, Memo goes as well. So, they won't do anything about it. Not only that, but Memo is the unpaid marketing and fan president I guess. So, what will probably happen is as you said later on....nothing. I'd say, let it be so. It only proves their contradictions and double-mindedness of the staff yet again. Also, Memo is perfect for them. He doesn't ask questions, and just takes things at face value. For HG, that is the perfect fan.

BTW, was that thread about the licensing ever locked or squashed? Last I checked, the subject was changed quite quickly, as probably directed by the staff.

I am sure many of you heard of Disney planing to buy Marvel recently (deal still needs to be approved by shareholders). What struck me though is that Fox is apparently planning a Fantastic Four reboot and no doubt more X-men movies to keep their movie rights to those Marvel franchises from lapsing, and that they can apparently do this even if Disney acquires the rights to all Marvel characters.

This got me thinking about the RLAM. Harmony Gold claims that WB can make a Robotech movie on any part of Robotech including Macross while we all cite that Big West has the rights over the Macross character and mecha designs and that the RLAM can not possibly resemble the Macross saga. I am wondering though if Tatsunko rights over the completed SDF Macross series is enough for HG and WB to make a live action adaption of the SDF Macross storyline and just replace the mecha and charater designs, terms, etc that are trademarked by Big West with new ones. For example in Harmony Gold's English dub of the Gatchaman 94' OVAs rather then obtain the trademarks for "Bird Go!", "Bird Missile", "Red Impluse" etc they just simply replaced them with their own lame terms.

This got me thinking about the RLAM. Harmony Gold claims that WB can make a Robotech movie on any part of Robotech including Macross while we all cite that Big West has the rights over the Macross character and mecha designs and that the RLAM can not possibly resemble the Macross saga. I am wondering though if Tatsunko rights over the completed SDF Macross series is enough for HG and WB to make a live action adaption of the SDF Macross storyline and just replace the mecha and charater designs, terms, etc that are trademarked by Big West with new ones.

Yes, Warner Bros. would be able to replace all the mecha and characters with original ones. Though the new mecha and characters would have to be different enough so that no reasonable person could confuse them with SDF Macross mecha and characters. Likewise for the story; it would have to be different enough so that no reasonable person could confuse the RLAM story with the SDF Macross story.

Yeah, that won't happen. Whenever Tommy goes someplace, Memo goes as well. So, they won't do anything about it. Not only that, but Memo is the unpaid marketing and fan president I guess. So, what will probably happen is as you said later on....nothing. I'd say, let it be so. It only proves their contradictions and double-mindedness of the staff yet again. Also, Memo is perfect for them. He doesn't ask questions, and just takes things at face value. For HG, that is the perfect fan.

BTW, was that thread about the licensing ever locked or squashed? Last I checked, the subject was changed quite quickly, as probably directed by the staff.

Yeah I know nothing is going to happen, oh well :mellow:

and as for the answer to your question, yes that one legal debate thread got locked, but now there's another one

although last time I checked (before being banhammered) it was dead, so I think maybe they all gave up

or at least one would hope.

This got me thinking about the RLAM. Harmony Gold claims that WB can make a Robotech movie on any part of Robotech including Macross while we all cite that Big West has the rights over the Macross character and mecha designs and that the RLAM can not possibly resemble the Macross saga. I am wondering though if Tatsunko rights over the completed SDF Macross series is enough for HG and WB to make a live action adaption of the SDF Macross storyline and just replace the mecha and charater designs, terms, etc that are trademarked by Big West with new ones. For example in Harmony Gold's English dub of the Gatchaman 94' OVAs rather then obtain the trademarks for "Bird Go!", "Bird Missile", "Red Impluse" etc they just simply replaced them with their own lame terms.

The same rights that HG has as far as the designs would be transferred to WB. Those rights would be grandfathered to WB. Based on the rulings though, WB would not be able to use the VF-1, the SDF-1 or any of the Macross designs as they are shown in the Macross series, or the lineart. However, creating designs based off of those does seem feasible, and goes along with the idea of them "reimagining" the series. It'd be interesting if they can even use the terms, such as Zentraedi or not. Perhaps WB will scrutinize the rulings much more closely, and maybe even strike deals with BW/SN if need be.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my inbox today and found that Steve is actually looking into the complaints about MEMO's behavior.

I am a bit weirded out that of all the people who wrote to him to complain, apparently I'm the only one he took the time to write back to. I know my status at Robotech.com could best be described as "pet heretic", but I can't fathom why I was the only one he felt deserved a response.

also my RTSC DVD is right in between Predator and Land of the Dead :lol:

My Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles DVD is with the rest of my Robotech stuff... buried with all the other useless crap I can't convince people to stop giving me for Christmas.

My Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles DVD is with the rest of my Robotech stuff... buried with all the other useless crap I can't convince people to stop giving me for Christmas.

HG and others have saturated the Internet with it more than it deserves. It makes actually owning a copy you have to pay for really useless these days.

Speaking of TSC, on Hulu when a movie is repeatedly noted as the number 1 featured download for a time, isn't it Hulu and the powers that be trying to promote it without it actually achieving a milestone yet? I thought someone just paid them money to give it a lot of attention, and that moniker, on their site.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens with that. I know Memo overall has been very helpful with the fandom, and does a lot for the staff, but the last few weeks have shown not too good for the mods in general. Letting someone verbally attack other members, then themselves calling out members like that is something that would've gotten anyone else who was a mod, demoted. That's not even counting the misrepresentation of facts.

HG and others have saturated the Internet with it more than it deserves. It makes actually owning a copy you have to pay for really useless these days.

Yeah... I know. Seems like a waste to bother paying whatever ridiculous price they're asking for it these days just for the tactile (dis)pleasure of holding the disc in your hand, when you can watch (read "ignore") the movie on Hulu at no cost to yourself. I have to wonder how many cheapskate fans used flash movie capture software to download the movie off of Hulu. It's an occupational hazard of putting anything up as a flash video.

Speaking of TSC, on Hulu when a movie is repeatedly noted as the number 1 featured download for a time, isn't it Hulu and the powers that be trying to promote it without it actually achieving a milestone yet? I thought someone just paid them money to give it a lot of attention, and that moniker, on their site.

I dunno, I haven't bothered going to Hulu to look.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens with that. I know Memo overall has been very helpful with the fandom, and does a lot for the staff, but the last few weeks have shown not too good for the mods in general. Letting someone verbally attack other members, then themselves calling out members like that is something that would've gotten anyone else who was a mod, demoted. That's not even counting the misrepresentation of facts.

Yeah... these past few weeks have been a public relations nightmare for Harmony Gold, and it's all thanks to MEMO1DOMINION and Maverick_LSC (primarily MEMO, but we can't pretend Mav didn't have a hand in the whole misinformation business). I'm hoping that Steve is seriously considering cleaning house, and replacing both of 'em with moderators who have their heads screwed on straight.

In related news, is the user "Tom Bateman" who is browsing this thread the "Tom Bateman" who used to work for HG, or just someone goofing off?

I know it may not be worth their time, but I was thinking heavily about this...How cool would it be if Bandai released Macross Frontier just as they did, but put english sub on it? I know they'd still have the region code thing, but what a way to get around the blockade. Imagine if they did that with the blu-rays. Those are region free. While it may not be a big deal for them, how many more fans would buy the product via online e-tailers to have the official version, with all the extras, and english subs? It'd be a good extra amount of cash, probably well worth the cost of just adding subtitles as an extra feature. I wonder if it's possible to write to Bandai, and ask about it.

Edited for mispelling in a crucial area :wacko:

Edited by Jasonc

I know it may not be worth their time, but I was thinking heavily about this...How cool would it be if Bandai released Macross Frontier just as they did, but put english dub on it? I know they'd still have the region code thing, but what a way to get around the blockade. Imagine if they did that with the blu-rays. Those are region free. While it may not be a big deal for them, how many more fans would buy the product via online e-tailers to have the official version, with all the extras, and english subs? It'd be a good extra amount of cash, probably well worth the cost of just adding subtitles as an extra feature. I wonder if it's possible to write to Bandai, and ask about it.

I'll love to see a Blu-ray release with subtitles.

Count me in if you ever want to collect signatures for this petition.

Dub? Useless, Subtitles? If they were going to, they would have. Check out the upcoming Unicorn OVA spec's, there will be English subs there. But sadly, no subtitles again for Macross fans...

I know it may not be worth their time, but I was thinking heavily about this...How cool would it be if Bandai released Macross Frontier just as they did, but put english dub on it? I know they'd still have the region code thing, but what a way to get around the blockade. Imagine if they did that with the blu-rays. Those are region free. While it may not be a big deal for them, how many more fans would buy the product via online e-tailers to have the official version, with all the extras, and english subs? It'd be a good extra amount of cash, probably well worth the cost of just adding subtitles as an extra feature. I wonder if it's possible to write to Bandai, and ask about it.

God no... the rest I could happily live with, but NOT an english dub.

Bandai's english dubs are pretty bad on average... better to leave it subbed.

Yeah, sorry, meant sub. That's what happens when you get your eyes dialated for routine exame, and the s and d keys are close to each other, I meant sub, not dub. Rest assured, I wouldn't want a dub. I love the original voices.

I know it may not be worth their time, but I was thinking heavily about this...How cool would it be if Bandai released Macross Frontier just as they did, but put english sub on it?

Are we talking about Bandai Visual (Japan) or Bandai Entertainment (USA)?

Random Observation:

Every time I log into MW and the title of this thread flashes before my eyes, I am attracted to it because I think it's going to be about HighGrade Gundams... you know..HG...

Why this happens - I don't know. I know HG and Robotech means Harmoney Gold and Robotech.. but still I always imagine I will open this thread and find loads of commentary about Highgrade Gundams...

Pete

Random Observation:

Every time I log into MW and the title of this thread flashes before my eyes, I am attracted to it because I think it's going to be about HighGrade Gundams... you know..HG...

Why this happens - I don't know. I know HG and Robotech means Harmoney Gold and Robotech.. but still I always imagine I will open this thread and find loads of commentary about Highgrade Gundams...

Pete

Bah, you shouldn't be playing with anything lower than Master Grade anyway.

I know it may not be worth their time, but I was thinking heavily about this...How cool would it be if Bandai released Macross Frontier just as they did, but put english sub on it? I know they'd still have the region code thing, but what a way to get around the blockade. Imagine if they did that with the blu-rays. Those are region free. While it may not be a big deal for them, how many more fans would buy the product via online e-tailers to have the official version, with all the extras, and english subs? It'd be a good extra amount of cash, probably well worth the cost of just adding subtitles as an extra feature. I wonder if it's possible to write to Bandai, and ask about it.

Edited for mispelling in a crucial area :wacko:

Unfortunately, I doubt Bandai is going to produce a batch of English Subbed Macross Frontier DVDs. I am sure their position is to import the DVDs and just learn Japanese yourself. Even if they wanted to make English subbed DVDs the fact that they can't officially advertise or market them to Anime fans outside of Japan thanks to the blockade means that most likely their would be too few DVDs sales to actually justify the cost of manufacturing a second batch of specially labeled subtilted DVDs and Blurays in the hope that they get marketed to English speaking fans via word of mouth. And if it became apparent that Bandai Visual were selling a special batch of Subbed DVDs with the goal of marketing them directly or indirectly to English speaking fans outside of Japan I am sure Harmony Gold would step in and take any legal action they could in a heart beat.

The simple solution of course being "put the damn subtitles on there to begin with. This is why I'm mad Bandai Visual U.S. went under, their positioning was going to lead to just these types of developements. i.e. 1 disc for international sales period, and also simultanious multi-country releases.

Gundam Unicorn fortunately will carry on this spirit.

And if it became apparent that Bandai Visual were selling a special batch of Subbed DVDs with the goal of marketing them directly or indirectly to English speaking fans outside of Japan I am sure Harmony Gold would step in and take any legal action they could in a heart beat.

If Bandai Visual included English subtitles on their Japanese Frontier discs, Harmony Gold would have no legal ground to block them. As it is, Frontier discs are marketed and distributed for Japan only; if they are sold outside of Japan through means of a private sale (which is how paying USA fans obtain their discs), then Harmony Gold can't do anything. Though, what technically constitutes a "private sale" is a discussion for another day.

The simple solution of course being "put the damn subtitles on there to begin with.

IMO, if Bandai Visial were to include English subs with Frontier, it wouldn't be cost efficient as they'd probably only sell an additional 75 or so sets. Fans will find some excuse to rationalize why they shouldn't have to pay for Frontier. They'll complain that it's too expensive (despite having thousands of dollars in Yamato toys sitting on their shelves), that they don't have a BD player, that they don't want to pay extra for shipping, that the subs aren't accurate enough, that they're waiting for a USA release, that it's against their moral beliefs, that it'll increase greenhouse effects, etc etc etc. <_<

I saw Shadow Chronicles on HULU last evening. It wasn't unbelievably awesome, but it was mildly entertaining if treated as a movie you find late at night while surfing channels, suffering from insomnia (which was actually the circumstance).

It's been called a "pilot." Did it hook you into a sequel that hasn't been made yet?

Ok - see... the problem with Shadow Chronicles, like so much else in Robotech, actually has nothing to do with Robotech and everything to do with Harmony Gold.

See - stepping back for a second, I think we can all calmly admit that Shadow Chronicles has some merits as a movie. We sit around ripping on Macross 7 or complaining about minor things in Macross media - and yes, I personally think Macross is better than Shadow Chroncles - BUT...

that's not the point.

There's tons of great, average, mediocre, piss poor shows out there - and even the piss poor ones are sometimg worth a watch to get some jollies.

What prevents me from getting my jollies with Robotech is the way Harmony Gold behaived towards retailers selling Yamato back in the day and recently with BBTS (which thankfully seems to have come to nothing, since BBTS still sells Yamato).

I just don't like it when a company tries to use force to compel people not to buy somebody else's products. Legal issues aside - I don't even want to debate whether they were legally right or wrong - it was a horrible way to proceed.

As I've said a million times over: the best way to compete is by producing a superior product.

These guys have instead focused on producing superior pay for their lawyers and supreme headaches for people who just want to enjoy Macross instead of Robotech.

This is what makes enjoying Robotech impossible for me.

Had none of this ever happened, I would probably be a believer in Co-Habitation. I would enjoy Robotech and Macross. I would acknowledge the origins and the history and go with the flow on both.

As it stands, I have nothing but contempt for Robotech because it has become a venture that is characterized by a company that insists on using the law to bully people.

Pete

Pete, I agree. For the most part, I'm still a semi-fan of the Robotech from 85, from the standpoint that it brought over some great anime. As far as the ugliness that has gone on for quite sometime from the company, it has proven to sway quite a few once fans away. When I saw RTSC for the first time, I was content with it simply cause it was new. However, after it was over, it began to sink in how bad it was. But, as that is another discussion, when HG started silencing fans who didn't like the film, it became obvious that they knew they put out an inferior product. Then, more ugliness came out. Taking all that we know, what the staff has done, and what some fans have created, it's become a very unattractive franchise to follow. Maybe that'll change someday, but HG and some of their fans keep that ball rolling. Not all of them, cause there are some good people there, but as the saying goes, the few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

Well, sort of I guess. I just still to this day cannot really fathom how this particular way of behaving on their part is supposed to benefit them.

Case in point: look at this Anime and Sci-Fi thread on Macross world. We discuss EVERYTHING here. And no matter what topic thread you enter, you will find people, even fans of something, from time to time having a go at criticizing. Heck, I'm a big fan of Haruhi Suzumiya but even I recently wrote a long post recently complaining about an episode (not endless eight)...granted, Kieth managed to torpedo my arguments with one sentence... but the point is that people here complain and moan and critique everything.

Yet complaining, moaning and critiqueing are actually a form of loving something from a fan's point of view.

Look at all the "yamato is dumb" themed threads we have and all the legions of people who get sore at Yamato. Look at how much Macross 7 gets bashed on.

Check out the Transformers thread - notice how there are mixed opinions about the movie, how there are G1 purists in there (ok, just me and Prometheus but...)...

Point?

Point is I don't see moderators at Macrossworld flying off the handle when people criticize Yamato or Macross. I don't see fans of assorted anime going ape-sh!te when someone goes into a thread topic and says negative things about an anime.

One of the things that any anime company/producer wants are people who feel passionately about the anime. Same with toy and model makers. People who are passionate and critique and demand better execution are being helpful because they help work towards a better final product.

So - it's in the interest of every company to have a vibrant fan base with plenty of room for criticism.

Why HG doesn't operate like this is a mystery to me.

I mean - do they have such seriously high profits from their asinine defense of their copyright that they prefer to focus all their efforts on legal battles rather than making better products?

I dunno... It just boggles the mind.

Pete

Point?

Point is I don't see moderators at Macrossworld flying off the handle when people criticize Yamato or Macross. I don't see fans of assorted anime going ape-sh!te when someone goes into a thread topic and says negative things about an anime.

One of the things that any anime company/producer wants are people who feel passionately about the anime. Same with toy and model makers. People who are passionate and critique and demand better execution are being helpful because they help work towards a better final product.

So - it's in the interest of every company to have a vibrant fan base with plenty of room for criticism.

Why HG doesn't operate like this is a mystery to me.

MacrossWorld is an independently owned website, which is why we can openly criticize Yamato and Macross products. Robotech.com is a corporately owned website, which is why they don't like people criticizing their own corporate products. It's no mystery to me.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

For example in Harmony Gold's English dub of the Gatchaman 94' OVAs rather then obtain the trademarks for "Bird Go!", "Bird Missile", "Red Impluse" etc they just simply replaced them with their own lame terms.

God those Gatchaman OAV's sucked. And it wasn't just the dub. Its like those responsible for its creation had NO idea about what made the original Gatchaman cool.

Those NTT advertisments featuring a new animated Gatchaman looked MUCH more promising, pity they didn't make more.

Taksraven