MY FIRST MACROSS F MODEL KIT

shinagami

my first macross frontier model kit....thanks to all (WM Cheng, Petar B, Cool8er, denversaur, kyekye and others) who inspired me to finish this kit. still have a little bit touch up work here n there, before completing my rvf-25 supermessiah...guess i'll post the pics first since i'll be outstation for a while. pictures taken using my camera phone....sorry for the crappy pictures. will try with better quality camera after the final completion of the kit.

post-6204-1248579569_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579661_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579695_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579727_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579767_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579815_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579886_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579933_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248579973_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580008_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580044_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580088_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580132_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580166_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580203_thumb.jpg

post-6204-1248580244_thumb.jpg

Edited by shinagami

two observations:

1) camera phones take wonderful pictures these days!

2) the model is superbly built, makes the RVF-25 look very "real" (I can only dream of building a model to such standard

one question: does the RVF-25 still transform?

one request: can we see closeups of the ghosts?

This is how the RVF should be built and painted.. Can you change the background color so we can see the contrast a bit better? and another questions; What are the color mixes of green that you used?

As someone striving to get one of these to look "real" I'm just blown away by how well you did on yours! I never thought the RVF was all that great. But yours looks amazing! Would love to know how you went about doing your shading (pre, post, colours). If you wouldn't mind sharing that is.

Wow!

This is one of the better looking Frontier models I've seen. The shading and more realistic colours do wonders for making this work. Well done... I would have liked to see bigger pics, though. But thanks for posting, and now you've got a fantastic display piece.

thanks all for all the kudos. firstly this modelkits from bandai was a pain to built.....it took me almost 3 months to complete the assembly....but it does give me a whole lot new experience and a very useful learning process in modelmaking

regult, i use my sonyericsson k850i camera phone. i built the rvf-25 non-transformable (sorry to dissapoint u), i glued everything so the flimzy parts of the modelkit especiallly the legs to be in place. with the superpack, the designated joints weren't designed properly (i guess and wondered why...)that it wont stick 'tightly' where it shud be compared without the superpacks...u know what i mean...i always wanted my VFs to look sturdy and rigid. i'll post the closeups of the ghost later when i'm back home...(currently outstationed... :mellow: )

electric indigo, yeah i too think i shud painted those mismatching colours of the decals, will see what i can do.... ;)

007-vf1, those pics weren't taken properly, even without a proper background...was out of time since i was going outstation for a while. for the colour, i cant recall the exact colour code and mixture...

micky G, for this kit i did post shading using thinned tamiya smoke 1:6 mixture. i did the shading i learned from master cheng's build-ups posts :p ...nothing special. basically using 0.3 airbrush with the smallest nozzle opening. then sprayed 1 layer of tamiya clear, let dry for 1 night. after that is the weathering process using tamiya weathering master.....errr i think the B set...i just use SOOT for the shading. lastly 1 layer of flat clear...will describe further details plus the colour mixture later(when i'm back that is....) :D .

i bought the G version (mikhail custom) yesterday while window shopping near my workplace.....will subscribe to ur G version posts for reference. currently working on the moscato's vf-1 atmospheric booster... ^_^

micky G, for this kit i did post shading using thinned tamiya smoke 1:6 mixture. i did the shading i learned from master cheng's build-ups posts :p ...nothing special. basically using 0.3 airbrush with the smallest nozzle opening. then sprayed 1 layer of tamiya clear, let dry for 1 night. after that is the weathering process using tamiya weathering master.....errr i think the B set...i just use SOOT for the shading. lastly 1 layer of flat clear...will describe further details plus the colour mixture later(when i'm back that is....) :D .

i bought the G version (mikhail custom) yesterday while window shopping near my workplace.....will subscribe to ur G version posts for reference. currently working on the moscato's vf-1 atmospheric booster... ^_^

I'd be honoured! I would appreciate your input/feedback. I hope you'll post up a build for your G when you get to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, these are the main colors used for the green color scheme:

-main color is tamiya cockpit green(IJN) XF-71

-mix with tamiya neutral Grey XF-53 and medium Grey XF-20

i totally forgot the mixture.... u can try adding those colors until u satisfied with the color, to make it lighter add some tamiya flat white.

post-6204-1250605598_thumb.jpg

larger pics plus close-up on the ghosts will be coming soon.... ;)

Edited by shinagami

• 4 months later...

WOW! THIS IS THE BEST LUCA I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Simply amazing...

Thanks so much for sharing, it definitely gave me my model fix for the week ;-)

Would love to see a step-by-step thread next time around detailing your paint/weather process.

It's not quiet step by step but there's some detail of how our friend got this result. And note the bold I've added below ;)

thanks all for all the kudos. firstly this modelkits from bandai was a pain to built.....it took me almost 3 months to complete the assembly....but it does give me a whole lot new experience and a very useful learning process in modelmaking

regult, i use my sonyericsson k850i camera phone. i built the rvf-25 non-transformable (sorry to dissapoint u), i glued everything so the flimzy parts of the modelkit especiallly the legs to be in place. with the superpack, the designated joints weren't designed properly (i guess and wondered why...)that it wont stick 'tightly' where it shud be compared without the superpacks...u know what i mean...i always wanted my VFs to look sturdy and rigid. i'll post the closeups of the ghost later when i'm back home...(currently outstationed... :mellow: )

electric indigo, yeah i too think i shud painted those mismatching colours of the decals, will see what i can do.... ;)

007-vf1, those pics weren't taken properly, even without a proper background...was out of time since i was going outstation for a while. for the colour, i cant recall the exact colour code and mixture...

hey all, thanks again for ur kind words....really inspired me to keep on modeling macross kits.

WOW! THIS IS THE BEST LUCA I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

Simply amazing...

Thanks so much for sharing, it definitely gave me my model fix for the week ;-)

Would love to see a step-by-step thread next time around detailing your paint/weather process.

WM Cheng, it's an honor to have someone like u pop in my posts and compliment me....

It's not quiet step by step but there's some detail of how our friend got this result. And note the bold I've added below ;)

yup micky G, thanks for highlighting those.....

actually this isn't my very first kit building, years back i did build some gundams and bandai vf-1 but all the paintworks sucks...i even gave up modeling kit for quite a while, until one day i read WM Cheng, petar B, HWR MkII, mechtech and alot others WIP n tips on kits modeling.... their dedication and all have inspired me yet again and thank you all for teaching me especially the values of modeling....u all (macrossworld) rocks!!!

So glad to have inspired someone (that's really the purpose of the step-by-step threads, and to vent sometimes;-) I'm afraid it really is a dying art, brick and mortar shops are closing up all over the place and I don't know a single young person into modeling, I guess video games are more immediate. Delayed gratification is a virtue of the old;-) hehe.

So did you apply the Tamiya weathing powders to the gloss coat after the smoke post shading? I haven't really used much of the Tamiya weathering stuff, but have one set which I experimented on the Atmospheric Booster Launch Rail, and found out that it only applied well over a flat/matte base.