Inglourious Basterds

On my way out of the cinema last evening I saw a rather interesting poster for this upcoming Tarantino flick. As with Kill Bill it is yet another tale about "Revenge" with a similar whimsical (almost comedic) approach towards violence. The combination of WW2 setting + spaghetti western makes me want to check this out.

What do you guy think? Hit or Miss?

It's Tarantino, so you know there's gonna be some interesting monologues/speechifying, some entertaining violence, and hopefully, an eclectic soundtrack.

Might be worth checking out. :)

I gathered from the trailer that they go behind the front lines, and do very bad things to the Germans.

How does it fall under science fiction do they find some NAZI laboratory trying to make a war wining monster?

Inglorious Basterds is about killing damn, dirty Krauts and Nazi's =>

EEEVIL Nazi's were a staple of the Indiana Jones series =>

Which has been discussed in a thread or two here on the MW forums.

Therefore, a precedent has been established.

...And if Chewbacca lived on Endor, you must acquit. The defense rests.

And regarding Brad Pitt's southern accent, yea it's kind of bad, really bad... but I think in the spirit of the film, they wanted to make Pitt's character a very exaggerated portrayal of a southern guy, which explains the ridiculous accent. God knows what the "burn mark" on his neck is supposed to represent, though I have a pretty good idea.

Don't see how this movie is going to work. Over the top violence in a world war two setting? That's a self-contradiction if I ever heard one.

Edited by Bri

What I mean is how can a movie that relies on say over-the-top, silly violent action like we have seen in Resevoir Dogs or Kill Bill work in a WO II setting while you know that anything that is done in that movie pales to what happened close by? Just gives a bit of a hmmm feeling.

Movies like dirty dozen and such worked a few decades back, but now, I dont know. Movies like say Saving Private Ryan, Stalingrad and the Pianist changed the perception of that time.

What I mean is how can a movie that relies on say over-the-top, silly violent action like we have seen in Resevoir Dogs or Kill Bill work in a WO II setting while you know that anything that is done in that movie pales to what happened close by? Just gives a bit of a hmmm feeling.

Movies like dirty dozen and such worked a few decades back, but now, I dont know. Movies like say Saving Private Ryan, Stalingrad and the Pianist changed the perception of that time.

oh, okay, I get you.

I think this movie works by playing with the idea that the Americans were boyscouts and our moralism (the ends don't justify the means, "then you'll be just as bad as them") and instead this movie depicts, in glorious tarantino violence, that we also did heinous things. Maybe most of the audience won't get the irony and just see it for the brutal brutal brutality and snappy dialogue and cheer as Nazi blood is spilled.

It's a remake of a 70's exploitation flick. The first starred Fred "The Hammer" Williamson.

The "original" was just a cheap rip off of the Dirty Dozen anyway. Tarantino`s version looks real average from the trailer. I hate Brad Pitt.

Are they going to make Machette into a real movie yet?

Edited by MilSpex

And regarding Brad Pitt's southern accent, yea it's kind of bad, really bad... but I think in the spirit of the film, they wanted to make Pitt's character a very exaggerated portrayal of a southern guy, which explains the ridiculous accent.

LOL, isn't Brad Pitt originally from like, Missouri? :blink:

• 3 months later...
Probably old news but i just saw the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ

I'm like :huh:

This is gonna be awesome! ^_^

Just saw it too as a trailer for TF's 2 (the first time it didnt have it as a trailer) Looks good.Will be on my list to see.

What are the chances that there will be some kinda twist in the story.. Tarantino loves that.

Edited by big F

"Sexing up" the violence of WWII. What a fantastic idea.

I think I will stick with "All Quiet on the Western Front". A more realistic portrayal of the horrors of war. (Yes, I know its about WWI, if anybody knows of a WWII equivalent, let me know)

Taksraven

"Sexing up" the violence of WWII. What a fantastic idea.

I think I will stick with "All Quiet on the Western Front". A more realistic portrayal of the horrors of war. (Yes, I know its about WWI, if anybody knows of a WWII equivalent, let me know)

Taksraven

Cross of Iron? Stalingrad? Thin Red Line? Flags of Our Fathers? Letters from Iwo Jima? Das Boot?