Would Yamato run out of ideas

shadow strikers

I believe there is plenty left to do with Macross and my hope is that Yamato will continue to produce toys from the series. If a movie is ever made I hope it has a serious tone. Transformers was "fun" to watch, but disappointing that it didn't really remain faithful to the the cartoon.

I believe the problem is that there are too many investors with their hands tied to studios and production companies and this is where things go sideways. I'd like to see a no namer director who's a fan of the show come in with full control and direction with no outside entities driving designs and story lines.

The movie would probably have to be rated "R" to keep all the silly hokiness from bleeding into the story. Flavor Flav would definitely have to play Exedor...that is an idea for Yamato or any other company who makes action figures! Singing Flavor Flav as Exedor...Kyuun kyuun! Kyunn kyunn!!! :lol:

Edited by MacrossMan

Which is why I want Michel Bay to make a Macross movie

Ummm... no.

You forget we live in the era of remakes. How long do think it will be before someone gets the "bright" idea to remake the Macross TV series?

I actually wouldn't be averse to a remake. I mean - if it looked, felt and went something along the lines of Macross First, then it would be cool. The real problem with a remake would be the music. DYRL was close enough to SDFM TV that they didn't change the music scores - although there was less singing and beyond Shao Pai Lon, Zero G Love and couple others, there was just one main "new" song - err...DYRL being that song of course... But now with a modern remake I just can't see Minmey singing anything else.

And that would be the biggest fear - that would ruin it. If they totally changed Minmey's music. And they probably would "have to"...

So...yeah - maybe it would be better if they didn't do that :) No remake :)

Its a shame, since I really don't see MF being an anime I'll remember fondly in 15-20 years. It just wasn't all that moving or awesome like M+ or DYRL was for me.

I understand some people feeling that way. But me- I was lucky. I watched SDFMTV and then DYRL and then Macross 7 and Zero JUST BEFORE Macross Frontier came out.

It was amazing - I got into this ancient anime from the 80s and 90s and then suddenly there's a continuation being made right when I basically get done with Macross Zero :)

So for me - it was all rolled up into one - it's like a saga and I don't feel like there's this division in my life between "back then there was DYRL and now there's this new thing" - it's all one sensation for me.

Besides - I definitely will be watching and enjoying and remembering Macross Frontier 15 years from now. I'll probably remember it even more fondly than I think of it today.

It's the best! :) woo...

And I'm glad there's younger fans who are getting into Macross because of it. I mean - give Shadow Strikers some credit. He could be getting into something a lot lamer! :)

Pete

I mean - give Shadow Strikers some credit. He could be getting into something a lot lamer! :)

Pete

I dunno, man.

Maybe SS will be better off as a fan of Gundam. I mean, with all his talk about Bay, veritech and stuff, I'm pretty sure he'll thoroughly appreciate this gundam mecha you posted before:

21m6mty.jpg

:lol:

Maybe SS will be better off as a fan of Gundam. I mean, with all his talk about Bay, veritech and stuff

Now, now. Didn't you do some pretty dumb things when you were sixteen? When I was sixteen, I kissed my first girl...now that I think about it...there was this hill in switzerland...you'd walk down a winding road, take a left onto a path and there was this hill and we went up there, sat on some rocks and I think I asked her if she would kiss me, and she asked me if I had ever kissed a girl before and we kissed...beautiful red head - curly red hair... last name of Dusang (French for "Of Blood" basically :-) ) ...

Uh - anyways - my point here is let's not beat up too much on SS. He's here, he's into Macross, he's learning the ropes and hopefully his heart will guide him.

After all - we all believe Macross is better and Robotech is no-no not because that's what the rules here say, but because that's what our hearts say, and the rules just reflect that.

I'm confident that the more he watches, reads and learns, SS will come to love Macross more.

I mean - correct me if I'm wrong - but are there ANY cases of someone starting as a DYRL/SDFM TV fan - and then discovering Robotech and saying "wow! That original Macross sucks! Now this - this Robotech is awesome! See ya!" ... cause I'd be surprised if there were :)

Um...and Yamato will never run out of ideas because we will never run out of love! An as Ranka's manager says, Bunka is Ai! Ai is Bunka! Bunka and Ai are powerful forces!

Pete

I don't get the impression SS is getting ragged on because of what he says as much as how he says it.

Anyways, we just had the vf-11 released and now the VF-22 and graham has already said that another new sculpt is in the pipes. I don't think all this talk of yamato running out of ideas or not having enough "guts" is justified. They took a huge gamble on a little known franchise and helped to resurrect it.

Are they milking the hell out of the VF-1? Sure, but I remember just a few weeks ago when people were bitching and moaning about "Where's my M&M vf-1j? Where's my virgin road 1D?" and now it's "blah blah, stop milking the vf-1, blah blah".

Edited by eugimon

blah blah

Translation:

Well personally, I'm outraged that Yamato is doing nothing but milking the VF-1. Oh - and can you believe that the VT-1 is delayed and not only that but ok - I like the VT-1, but can't they ALSO make a version with a Misa figure - there's an idea. Why don't they do that. But yeah, in general they are greedy and keep milking the mold.

Good point Eugimon :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

There are 100's of Items that yamato can make from the Macross Franchise (Despite what ever License they hold or can obtain) especially the whole Zentradi / Meltrandi fleet of Mecha & Ships. Theres still many Valkyries that have never seen the light of day other than a few Resin Garage kits or scratch builds.

But then again its up to YAMATO to decide whether or not they can afford making new molds for toys that may appeal to some, but not enough to bring in major profits.

But Enemy Mecha, VF-4's, VF-2SS. VF-5000's, etc. would be big sellers and from most people on MW input a 1/3000 TV & DYRL SDF-1 would be big winners.

So in a nut shell, technically it would take many many years for YAMATO to run out of ideas, but if they just keep making the VF-1 with Canon & non-canon paint schemes, that may chase off many potential buyers to buy again.

And again, they're not just making the VF-1. We've had 2 new sculpts this year already with potentially 1 more before the year is up.

Maybe they're not valkyries some people want to see but they're new all the same.

The angst here just doesn't match the reality of the situation.

And again, they're not just making the VF-1. We've had 2 new sculpts this year already with potentially 1 more before the year is up.

Maybe they're not valkyries some people want to see but they're new all the same.

The angst here just doesn't match the reality of the situation.

+1. I totally agree here. I've been reading this website for years now, and it's kinda funny how some people are here. People cry and moan about the things Yamato does and does not ever do...it's like they can't win. I for one am just glad I have the opportunity and means to purchase these (for the most part, well built) toys of stuff that came out 25 years ago!! I mean think about how cool that is. Give them enough time and I'm sure we are gonna see 1:60 enemy mecha. I only wish they would start doing Mospeada also..... B))

Yamato doesn't need ideas, Big West and Kawamori are the ones in charge of the ideas. Yamato just needs to license them. But as far as what Yamato does have licensed, they still have Regults, Glaugs, Nousjadel-Ger, etc to milk.

And seriously Robotech and Macross isn't the same. WB wouldn't have to get a seperate agreement with Big West if they were to make a true Macross movie. The mods don't want to keep locking your threads, so research the site a little bit so you can be more comfortable posting, instead of making an apology all the time. I know some of us have left links for you in the lock threads so make an effort.

I never said macross and robotech were the same, you got that out of thin air i just said we need a live action macross movie, I don't know where you got robotech out of that, are you sure your replying to me or someone else.

I believe there is plenty left to do with Macross and my hope is that Yamato will continue to produce toys from the series. If a movie is ever made I hope it has a serious tone. Transformers was "fun" to watch, but disappointing that it didn't really remain faithful to the the cartoon.

I believe the problem is that there are too many investors with their hands tied to studios and production companies and this is where things go sideways. I'd like to see a no namer director who's a fan of the show come in with full control and direction with no outside entities driving designs and story lines.

The movie would probably have to be rated "R" to keep all the silly hokiness from bleeding into the story. Flavor Flav would definitely have to play Exedor...that is an idea for Yamato or any other company who makes action figures! Singing Flavor Flav as Exedor...Kyuun kyuun! Kyunn kyunn!!! :lol:

Why don't you and a few people in this forum direct it like Exo, and some other people.

Why don't you and a few people in this forum direct it like Exo, and some other people.

Not sure what you mean here bro. I was actually piggy-backing on some other posts that there is still plenty of Macross stuff that could be made by Yamato or another company. I'm not even sure I read your posts in the thread. As far as the movie comments, if it ever comes to fruition, the story and all its mecha has such great potential I just hope it doesn't get "hokied" up like Transformers did. I can forgive Transformers because in my opinion it was okay for it to play out on the big screen the way it did, but Macross has a more serious tone and layered plots to get watered down. To change the Valkyrie to some other new fighter would just be bloody wrong. :blink:

about the live-action movie... if ever one is made, and it will most probably be by an American Studio, it definitely won't be Macross. (probably an abomination of some sort)

i say, just keep on making anime series and/or movies... that's where we'll get new Macross products.

I never said macross and robotech were the same, you got that out of thin air i just said we need a live action macross movie, I don't know where you got robotech out of that, are you sure your replying to me or someone else.

I was directing it to you because it's already been said that there's never going to be a movie made from Macross, especially by Michael Bay, because the rights are tied up. If there is any movie going to be made it's going to be a Robotech movie. Which is a completely different thing and won't affect the popularity of the VF-1's because they probably won't be using those anyway. That's what I'm talking about when I say you're confusing your subjects. An American director won't ever be making any Macross movies. That's why I said as nicely as I can to research the boards, so you can comfortably post without running into members trying to correct you all the time. And I'm saying it as nicely now.

In any case, there's already threads about the Robotech movie AND the license debates so it shouldn't be discussed here. I believe the subject at hand is, will Yamato's well of ideas run dry?

Thanks!

Yamato doesn't need ideas, Big West and Kawamori are the ones in charge of the ideas. Yamato just needs to license them. But as far as what Yamato does have licensed, they still have Regults, Glaugs, Nousjadel-Ger, etc to milk.

Exo - that's only partially true. Yamato does need to keep thinking up ideas about how to make the Valkyrie more anime accurate and how to expand what is available (diaoramas - heck now that they're doing those VFM or whatever super poseable figures of Queens Blade - maybe THEY can do Misa and the gang without waiting for Kaiyodo?) . Also, Yamato is obviously probably always thinking about how to make their business more cost effective. I'm sure if it was financially feasable, we'd get dioramas, crews, sets - the whole nine yards. The way I see it - they are trying to have the quality of complexiy of Studio Half Eye, but also offer the generally affordable prices of Bandai - so... lots of thought. Lots of engineering, lots of sculpting and lots of marketing independent of BW and Kawamori :)

And Shadow Strikes - don't bad mouth the mods. You'd really be surprised how much info is out there and how much info lots of people on these boards have that you don't.

When I was new to to this forum, I would also sometimes talk out of my butt due to ignorance - and honestly - nobody's blaming you for not knowing something. Just relax, be patient and read around in the threads that people are linking to. There's really a ton of info here. There's not a "Party Line" - people are free to disagree - and there's even a thread for discussion of Robotech/Macross stuff - but it does help a lot when you have all the facts and all the info before voicing an opinion.

I speak from my own experience on this :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

If Yamato ever run out of Macross idea, just get some advise from these (Korean) guys who made this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3Fl4P6OTU...feature=related

lol

I just find this, I lost my word. :lol:

Seriously, I have a lot of respect to Yamato, they made beautiful Macross toys that no one has done before.

Though it would be cool if yamato started making enemy mecha's.

The ideas will keep coming as long as Yamato has the income and licenses to generate them. I'm sure the VF-1s are their top sellers, otherwise, they'd probably not make them as much, if at all. While I would like to see a VF-4, 5000, VA-3, etc. you can't really complain about the VF-1s coming out. Would it be better if nothing came?

You mean like the one in your Avatar? :)

What do you call the 1/60 SV-51? :)

That's a pretty big time achievement.

Pete

I meant like battle pods and so on.

If Yamato ever run out of Macross idea, just get some advise from these (Korean) guys who made this!

lol

Seriously, I have a lot of respect to Yamato, they made beautiful Macross toys that no one has done before.

OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH?!?! I feel like someone just took a dump on my eyes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lu8RwvnJpM...feature=related also at 00:21, valk with down's syndrome? :huh:

lol

It has to be unreleased footage for the new Robotech Shadow Rising! :p

It has to be unreleased footage for the new Robotech Shadow Rising! :p

Its a rip off of macross someone should burn that. By burn I mean destroy not copy.

That's awesome. Now when people ask what show all my toys are from, I can direct them to this and tell them that it's worth blowing thousands of dollars in merchandise on.

Edited by Cent

That's awesome. Now when people ask what show all my toys are from, I can direct them to this and tell them that it's worth blowing thousands of dollars in merchandise on.

I get mines for free. :huh:

Like will they run out of things to repaint and make, because eventually they will run out of macross mechas, to repaint remold and make new ones.

They do make other things besides Macross products, so I don't think it matters to them. The thing would cause them to run out of Macross stuff to make are licensing issues IMO. I think it is way to early to have a discussion about being in danger of running out of Macross things to make. There are still plenty of ideas out there.

Just a quickie off the top of my head that could keep them busy for a long time.

Character figures of all the characters.

1/48 scale and 1/60 scale figures of all the characters.

1/48 and 1/60 scale support figures.

diorama sets. factory maintenence bay. Airlock launch arm. Macross city...etc etc.

1/60 regults with zentraedi pilots.

All the valks that have not been made yet (VF-4, VF-0D, VF-3000, VF-5000, etc, etc...)

Fighter mode GNU.

Zentraedi Micronizing machine diorama with 1/60 scale Milia figure in micronized form and zentraedi size.

All the zentraedi mecha.

the question is more- what's taking them so long with all the other mac products.

It's not like they would saturate the market. Since you can count with one hand, the yamato mac products in any toy store.

Edited by arrow

The retail stores around here usually don't carry many $230+ items... especially all from the same lineup/series when its not half as popular as Gundam. Such expensive toys take a lot of shelf time, so its just not worth carrying all that many of them in most stores.

Just a quickie off the top of my head that could keep them busy for a long time.

Character figures of all the characters.

1/48 scale and 1/60 scale figures of all the characters.

1/48 and 1/60 scale support figures.

diorama sets. factory maintenence bay. Airlock launch arm. Macross city...etc etc.

1/60 regults with zentraedi pilots.

All the valks that have not been made yet (VF-4, VF-0D, VF-3000, VF-5000, etc, etc...)

Fighter mode GNU.

Zentraedi Micronizing machine diorama with 1/60 scale Milia figure in micronized form and zentraedi size.

All the zentraedi mecha.

Don't forget the 1/60 Massive Tuna!