Suggestion/Recommendation Needed

Metal_Massacre_79

My kid is really liking my Macross collection, and is kinda angry that I just bought a VF-25G. He's been bugging me to get him another Macross toy, but I don't want to shell out the money for a Yamato since I know he'll probably end up breaking it (or I'll be transforming it for him a thousand times a day).

I need some suggestions as to what kind of Macross toys/figures/vehicles would be durable enough for him to play with. Are the chunky monkeys my only option (he's already got one that I bought from someone on here) or is there another line/brand that I'm just not aware of? What would you buy your kid if he was 8?

Thanks.

Yeah, either Yamato's GN-Us or Kaiyodo's Revoltechs will make your boy happy. They are Macross items, nicely done and will not break your bank!

Anything transforming, durable and at a reasonable price are only the chunky monkeys. Though the ver 1.0 1/60 Yammies might have come down in prices recently with the release of the newer version, they are honestly not that sturdy. At a hands on an eight year old, it might not last too long!

I don't think he's going to appreciate the much finer level of detail on the GNUs, and I bet he's going to be rougher on them, so I'd go with Revoltechs. Cheaper to replace, click joints are harder to wear down, very posable and works well as 2 minute hand candy, and he can even toss it around without fear of breaking the PVC. Also more accessories to mess around with.

That's if he's going to be okay with a non-transformable. Otherwise go with a chunky monkey. A toynami 1/100 if you're not willing to pay that much (although they're still rather expensive for what they are... and less durable too).

Revoltechs won't work either. They're for 15 and up - for a reason. Too many small parts to get lost or swallowed. Also - he'll end up just loosing the limbs of the figure if he's not careful.

I'd say - get him a Transformer instead.

Macross isn't for kids :)

Pete

Definitely get a 1/55 Bandai VF-1 "chunky monkey". My 4 year old plays with his 1/55 Bandai valk all the time. These are super durable and great fun. It is also a toy that will last and he can have fun with for years or decades as most of us have.

I remember seeing smaller, transformable Valkyries for a bit more than how much Revoltechs cost. If anyone can identify those, I think those would make good toys for your son.

Of course, you can teach your son to take good care of his things and get him one of the Yamatos that are on sale at HLJ.com. :p

Since he already has a Bandai "chunky", maybe some GNUs. I have a friend who has some of those (non transforming valks aren't to my taste) but they are super durable and fun to play with. You could also look at a QRau. It doesn't transform and the one I have seems like it would be durable enough for a child.

I also agree to avoid the Revoltechs. They come apart easily (like they are supposed to) and next thing you know his toys will be missing joints.

I think your son will want it to be transformable.

Just get him some of the newer transformers.

or maybe a masterpiece seeker. I heard they're

quite sturdy.

As Pete said, macross ain't for kids. It's for

childish grown-ups. :lol:

i agree with the Bandai Macross 7 toys.... both the VF-19s and VF-17s are solid toys that a child could play with. Plus they are fairly cheap especially if you find the bootleg versions

I found some for $3 at one point

Definitely get a 1/55 Bandai VF-1 "chunky monkey". My 4 year old plays with his 1/55 Bandai valk all the time. These are super durable and great fun. It is also a toy that will last and he can have fun with for years or decades as most of us have.

I agree with miriya on this one. I gave my son Joon knock off back when I first started collecting. He has since demolished the thing, but he was only 6 years old at the time. I so want to get him a new 1/60 but I know he isn't ready for it; even with the HLJ and Over-Drive sales I can not bring myself to spend that kind of money on a toy that I know is not meant for a 7 year old to play with. More than likely I will continue to buy him Transformers until he shows some real maturity in caring for his toys.

As I see it, he's just a kid and is supposed to play with his toys and not be like dad who buys them and simply displays them. They're fun gadgets and he wants to swoosh'em around and bang them together in mayhem so who am I to take that away from him.

I say get your son something he can play with and enjoy without you having to worry about the fact of whether he breaks it or not; that is just my opinion of course. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck! B))

I'd definitely have no hesitation at recommending the 1/55 VF-1 Chunky Monkey or 1/65 VF-17D/S to an eight year old. Heck my son has had them since he was about 3.5 years old.

The 1/65 VF-19Kai/S is also a possibility and while it is very tough, parts such as the head lasers can get lost.

Another possibilty could be the Toynami 1/55 VF-1 MP series.

Graham

Revoltechs won't work either. They're for 15 and up - for a reason. Too many small parts to get lost or swallowed. Also - he'll end up just loosing the limbs of the figure if he's not careful.

I'd say - get him a Transformer instead.

Macross isn't for kids :)

Pete

It should be for kids! Swallowing parts?? The kid is eight years old, not a toddler!

The only problem is that Macross toys are too expensive. I would think that the Bandai Macross 7 toys and the version 1 1/60 VF-1's are the best, and the 1/55s are no-brainers. Don't forget the "perfect transformation" Banpresto VF-1 toys, too. Or even the Toynami 1/100s. And they just re-released the Bandai Macross 7 and Macross II kits, so building those simple snap-together kits with him would be fun, too.

I have no idea why the latest batch of 1/55s are so massively overpriced. Ditto the VF-25. Bandai really DON'T want to treat this as a kid's franchise, do they? That's a big shame, because they are the ones that would enjoy it the most. If they marketed the products to both kids and adults, they would not only stand to make a better profit, but also help in parental relations. Isn't Transformers helping in that way in recent years? I see on Youtube and other places that there are a lot of kids who play TFs with their dads. I think in Japan, too, the same happens sometimes with Kamen Rider, Gundam, etc.

I went looking on Ebay, and the 1/65's were going for around $60-70 each. Then I noticed the Toynami 1/100's that were going for $20. When I opened the link, it was $20 for THREE of them (second series). I bid and won all three for roughly $32 with shipping. They may be fragile, but he's only going to play with them under supervision and if he starts getting too rough with them I'll just put them up. Hell, at $10 each, I could really care less if they were destroyed.

It was going to be a surprise for him, but he just had a tonsillectomy today so I had to show him what I got to cheer him up. Now he's stoked that he's getting ones that look like my 1/48's.

My nine-year-old sister puts a lot of toys in her mouth.

Please, for the sake of all that is pure, don't sexualize that. I know some lolicon somewhere's thinkin' it.

you get an achievement for creating an awkward moment.

on topic:

A GNU would probably be the best for him. Buy him a fighter plane if he wants something fly around the room.

or that option works.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

It was going to be a surprise for him, but he just had a tonsillectomy today so I had to show him what I got to cheer him up. Now he's stoked that he's getting ones that look like my 1/48's.

Very nice, hopefully they'll last him a long time.