Via 1UP.com

Metal Gear Solid Rising may be the second Metal Gear title to appear this generation, but that doesn't mean that Kojima Productions will be recycling the MGS4 engine. Kojima Productions is aiming to not only build a new engine from scratch, but to make it look better than MGS4's.

"We're redoing the engine from scratch, and it's going to look amazing," Kojima Productions podcast host Sean Eyestone said during a recent episode (via Metal Gear Scholar)

"It's going to be a big project like Metal Gear Solid 4. The entire team is serious about making it look as good as possible on every platform."

Other tidbits include the fact that Raiden's eyes are a different color, and that there is significance to the change. Meanwhile, the podcast confirmed that Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is canon, and that Peace Walker will be following it.

"It's a story that he's [Kojima] wanted to tell for a while," Eyestone said.

As mentioned earlier, Kojima will be focusing on Peace Walker, while the "young bloods" (in the words of Eyestone) handle Rising. In fact, the name Rising has more than one meaning.

"It's raising the Metal Gear franchise up to the next step," Eyestone said. "The young bloods will come up through this game."

What I read this to mean is that they had to redo the entire game engine so it can run on the 360.

I'm still looking forward to Rising over Peace Walker. I don't know, I liked MGS3 a lot, but I was disappointed it was a prequel. I'd rather see some events after MGS2 without having to be "Old Snake". I loved MGS4 as well, but something about being an old man bugged me throughout the game.

I loved portable ops, and it looks like they made it so you don't have to drag troops back to the truck anymore (my #1 gripe) which makes this a big plus. As for Rising, I agree with Togo, looks like the 360 couldn't handle the MGS4 engine :)

Courtesy of joystiq.com

Despite stating that he would be more hands-off with the Metal Gear Solid games after the fourth installment, Kojima has decided to once again roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty with Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Speaking with Japanese mag Famitsu (via PSPHyper), the gaming icon has said that Peace Walker will pretty much be his MGS5 -- something that will likely be excellent news to every Genome soldier reading this very post -- and that the MGS4 team will be working on it. (For some new Peace Walker screens, fresh out of Kojima Productions, check out our gallery embedded below).

Moving on to Metal Gear Solid Rising, Kojima says the game will include "a completely different kind of action than what has appeared in the series so far," though we're not sure if that's a good or bad thing. He also mentioned that he will be involved with the project "more deeply" than a normal producer which, considering the expectations and the new engine involved, makes sense.

The implicit bad news here: With all this Metal Gear stuff taking up Kojima's time (not to mention Castlevania: Lords of Shadow), we're unlikely to see that rumored Snatcher and/or Zone of the Enders and/or Something Else title anytime soon.

Christian Bale is the male Nichole Kidman, i.e. an emotionless block of wood that does more harm to any film he's in than good. He has too acting modes, ass, and raspy, nothing inbetwen. Dark Knight should have just been called "Joker," with Heath Ledger running around Gothum killing people & blowing sh!t up!

Christian Bale is the male Nichole Kidman, i.e. an emotionless block of wood that does more harm to any film he's in than good.

I disagree, and as we all know, my opinion matters more than yours.

Honestly, it doesn't matter, as the poster isn't real. Moving on...

• 1 year later...

Anyone else excited about the up coming Metal Gear Solid: Rising?? It looks incredibly fun and I can't wait to cut some S**** up.

And Raiden's suit looks so much better than his MGS4 suit. I hope there will be a really bad@$$ super poseable action figure in the future.

The Force Unleashed guys need to take note on the blade physics. Lol.

Anyone else excited about the up coming Metal Gear Solid: Rising?? It looks incredibly fun and I can't wait to cut some S**** up.

And Raiden's suit looks so much better than his MGS4 suit. I hope there will be a really bad@$$ super poseable action figure in the future.

The Force Unleashed guys need to take note on the blade physics. Lol.

Awesome, MGS-R is thy name.

Yeah, I thought the trailer was sweet too. Raiden's body seems more mechanical this time around, and things seem to be much darker.

Game looks promising, but I am worried that it will lose value if the sword is the only thing a player gets to use throughout the whole game.

-Archer

(btw, what is that weird blue LED holster thing that moves around his body)

(btw, what is that weird blue LED holster thing that moves around his body)

sheath for the sword.

also just noticed on the HD video that there's a second short-sword/dagger in there and he does use both. :D

That looks brutal and cool. I still don't dig Raiden's lower-jaw fugly thing though.

And it looks like it took place sometime before/during MGS4.

Yeah... I was wondering about that too, given that Raiden gets a more normal-looking body at the end of MGS4, though it's conceivable his "parts" are somewhat easily replaceable/upgradeable.

Yeah... I was wondering about that too, given that Raiden gets a more normal-looking body at the end of MGS4, though it's conceivable his "parts" are somewhat easily replaceable/upgradeable.

There's an E3 staff interview that comfirms the story takes place between 2 & 4, so assumedly this is the cyborg ninja body he has before the one we see in 4.

That's good to know, if that's so then I like how they're keeping it "inside" the timeline.

... but how awesome would it be if Kojima pulls the ultimate troll flanking manuever and delivers 15 minute of Raiden gameplay followed by a 10+ hour game about Johnny "Akiba" Sasaki :p

Its Kojima...its possible. >.<

Dark Knight should have just been called "Joker," with Heath Ledger running around Gothum killing people & blowing sh!t up!

F*ck that, Heath ledger is the single worst joker ever.

(BTW, everything about Dark Knight sucked except for Aaron Eckhart.)

Pretty sure he's on the record saying he passed this game off to another team.

With that said, I still think he has some involvement, just probably overseeing the production while he's frying other fishes. His name is still attached to the game isn't it?

With that said, I still think he has some involvement, just probably overseeing the production while he's frying other fishes. His name is still attached to the game isn't it?

I don't think Kojima is involved with this one. At least not yet.

Edit: My bad, he is but his involvement is small.

Edited by Gaijin

• 1 year later...