Turns out you can't even play the demo on a US PS3, even with a JP account. It gives a warning saying the content cannot be played due to region restrictions.

Looks like the whole boon of PS3s being region free is slowly slipping away.

That is bizzarre as all hell, gotta check it out later.

Turns out you can't even play the demo on a US PS3, even with a JP account. It gives a warning saying the content cannot be played due to region restrictions.

Looks like the whole boon of PS3s being region free is slowly slipping away.

This is very bad news if true. So 2012 is the end!!!!

I hope this doesn't impact the new Macross Game.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Raiden's ever been portrayed as a "nice guy." I you pay attention to the MGS2 SOL codec conversations between Rose and Jack, he's always had a bit of a psycho killer in him beneath the surface.

In MGS4, he wasn't able to fit into a "normal" life and got into fights almost every night. He eventually up and left. The one thing that still puzzles me is how he became a cyborg.

As for the MGSR game itself, so much for the whole " we don't reward players for killing and committing acts of violence" thing.

^Hahaha.

Yeah, I see your point, but I've never felt that Raiden, even while having that jack the ripper side to him, never really let it loose, and kept it locked under the premise of "fight for justice". I mean, in MGS4, he was pretty....noble at times.

Regardless, looks like a cool game. As for him becoming a cyborg, it's because the patriots experimented on him right? I wish this game was set in Kojima's between MGS2 and MGS4 story rather than this new after MGS4 craziness.

You've got a point there.

But judging from that trailer, might Raiden have something of a Jeckyl and Hyde complex going on there? He was glowing red in the last half of the trailer.

BTW, I never knew he was experimented on by the Patriots. I probably hold the world record for most repeat playthroughs of a MGS4 game (5-7 times), and not once did I heard mention of this. Was this explained in some interview or guidebook?

I don't exactly remember where I heard/read it, but I'm sure that he became a cyborg because the patriots experimented on him, going as far as to take out his entire spinal column. Ultimately, he was rebuilt as a cyborg.

He then trained under a native shaman, who taught him how to hunt prey, leading to his combat and ninja skills.

I remember the shaman thing from where he comments on how Snake should track Naomi by her footprints after the Laughing Octopus fight.

Come to think of it, the whole thing is pretty convoluted. Who does Raiden work for in MGS4? If it's the Patriots, what the hell is he doing aiding Snake? Has he gone rogue or something?

And what the hell is he doing getting trained in combat and stealth by a fricking shaman? :blink: Don't the US special forces have trainers for that?

LOL! Classes for cyborg ninjas of awesome! You got me there. But wouldn't a ninjitsu master in some tiny Japanese village be more appropriate than a native shaman (I'm guessing Native Americans here)?

So he works for Big Mama (can't help picturing Martin Lawrence in drag wearing a fat-suit when he first mentioned that name :lol: ) ? So I take it he went rogue somewhere along the way, then? You're right; MGSR should have been set somewhere between MGS2 and MGS4; at the very least, it would have served to fill in some of the questions regarding his backstory.

Edited by GU-11

As for the MGSR game itself, so much for the whole " we don't reward players for killing and committing acts of violence" thing.

Thats the thing. It's NOT MGSR. Its MGR. the name difference reflects the difference in core gameplay mechanics.

I'm wondering how much the Japanese version will be censored (probably the reason the demo was region locked) since cutting off limbs is a major taboo subject in Japan.

Thats the thing. It's NOT MGSR. Its MGR. the name difference reflects the difference in core gameplay mechanics.

I'm wondering how much the Japanese version will be censored (probably the reason the demo was region locked) since cutting off limbs is a major taboo subject in Japan.

I specifically remember reading an interview somewhere that said they will keep with the principals of MGS and not promote acts of violence.

I specifically remember reading an interview somewhere that said they will keep with the principals of MGS and not promote acts of violence.

Got a link? That sounds like either something said back when Konami was developing it it, alternatively, typical Platinum talking out their ass bullshit.

Got a link? That sounds like either something said back when Konami was developing it it, alternatively, typical Platinum talking out their ass bullshit.

It's been almost half a year since I last read that, but IIRC, it was an IGN article--don't have a link, though. And yes, I think it was the Konami staff that made the comment.

Does anyone really find the concept of playing a cyborg appealing?

This guy had his arms, legs and I assume dick chopped off. Then replaced by robot parts. Sure they have super ninja human abilities but they've all been mutilated. I assume many like the cyborg police did willingly. At least Robo-Cop didn't have a choice.

I preordered this because I'd much rather play as Cyborg Ninja than Raiden.

I did the same. When the pre-order bonus was announced I posted it on GameFAQ's board and couldn't believe how many people got upset. SO much hate for Grey Fox :( . Despite the new badass Raiden I can never get past the wimpy, push-over Raiden from MGS2. Plus he just kind of looks like some kind of Final Fantasy/undead/cyborg freak show now lol.

Hate for Gray Fox? Really? That's super surprising to me too, since he always seemed like once of the most popular side characters.

I'm in the same boat. MGS Raiden wasn't what I was looking for in the game. Wasn't much of a fan of his "apology" version in MGS4 either. Oh well.

I *heard* that one of the reasons that they switched to a future helmed by cyborgs for the game was for that very particular reason. It is more acceptable (or so they thought) to slash up cyborgs (which are supposed to be *ahem* technology) than actual humans.

Does anyone really find the concept of playing a cyborg appealing?

This guy had his arms, legs and I assume dick chopped off. Then replaced by robot parts. Sure they have super ninja human abilities but they've all been mutilated. I assume many like the cyborg police did willingly. At least Robo-Cop didn't have a choice.

That's the whole point of playing as a cyborg; you get to kick ass in superhuman ways on screen, but still keep your limbs and your schlong. :p

That said, I don't think they chop off the guy's dick for cyberization. What would be the purpose in that? If he has internal organs, he'd still need to piss and take a dump. Hell, even Robocop had to eat baby food.

As for in-game logic, it might be along the same lines as GitS SAC, where refugees or invalids (don't remember the details) are given cyborg bodies during active service in the military or law enforcement agencies.

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to know a way to get the Konami Style Premium Package? That white play arts kai Raiden has really peaked my interest. I can't seem to find any place to buy it online. All the UK retailers won't ship to the U.S either, which is bugging the hell out of me.