Sci-Fi Directors you would love to see mauled

Uwe Boll and Paul Verhoven top my list.

Anything from Boll sucks, and in the case of Verhoven look no further thanm that abomination on cellulite known as Starship Troopers (c'mon, if you're going to make a movie about infantry in mechanized power armor, at least include the damned things).

Anything from Boll sucks, and in the case of Verhoven look no further thanm that abomination on cellulite known as Starship Troopers (c'mon, if you're going to make a movie about infantry in mechanized power armor, at least include the damned things).

What did you think of the Sequels?

Know all they need for the forth is a Skinny and some ethnic cleansing.

You know their was a Anime version the Starship troopers it was made in the mid eighties.

Roland Emmerich. He sincerely believes in treating his audiences like they are absolute idiots.

(Admittedly they must be if they keep going to watch his crappy films)

Taksraven

Starship Troopers was excellent imo. Verhoeven did not like the book and only loosly based his movie on it, blaming him for not being true to Hemlein's ideas makes no sense.

As for my most hated scifi directors:

Wachowsky brothers for making those two hideous sequels to an otherwise good movie.

Peter Jackson: Overhyped and the one director that got revered for NOT adding anything to a film.

The capital ships in that movie were extremely well done. Not sure if it was Verhoven`s direct choice but they went with massive scale models instead of CG which really shows. The ships look much more realistic and heavier because of that decision.

The capital ships in that movie were extremely well done. Not sure if it was Verhoven`s direct choice but they went with massive scale models instead of CG which really shows. The ships look much more realistic and heavier because of that decision.

Interesting, I thought that they were good CG. Oh well.....

Taksraven

Starship Troopers was excellent imo. Verhoeven did not like the book and only loosly based his movie on it, blaming him for not being true to Hemlein's ideas makes no sense.

As for my most hated scifi directors:

Wachowsky brothers for making those two hideous sequels to an otherwise good movie.

Peter Jackson: Overhyped and the one director that got revered for NOT adding anything to a film.

David Lynch Verhoven's not. Dune is a perfect example of a book-based movie done right (I prefer the long version). At least Lynch made the differances between the book and the movie logical.

Starship Troopers was total crap.

Edited by Wanzerfan

David Lynch Verhoven's not. Dune is a perfect example of a book-based movie done right (I prefer the long version). At least Lynch made the differances between the book and the movie logical.

You DO know that the long version of Dune is not Lynch's cut (and indeed, he dislikes it so much that he had his name removed from it), don't you?

Starship Troopers was total crap.

Let it go, man...let it go... :p

Who else deserves a good mauling?

Paul W.S. Anderson (Event Horizon, AVP: Alien vs. Predator)

Andrzej Bartkowiak (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li)

Rob Bowman (Elektra)

Jan de Bont (Speed 2: Cruise Control, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life)

Steven E. de Souza (Street Fighter: The Movie)

Gavin Hood (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

Kenneth Johnson (Steel)

Wych Kaosayananda (Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever)

Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil, Ghost Rider)

David Kellogg (Inspector Gadget, Cool as Ice)

Brett Ratner (X-Men: The Last Stand)

Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin)

Shim Hyung-rae (D-War)

Barry Sonnenfeld (Wild Wild West)

Kurt Wimmer (Ultraviolet)

James Wong (Dragonball: Evolution)

Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

Mauling status pending:

McG (Terminator Salvation, Charlie's Angels)

Edited by areaseven

You do realize they never had any intention of making a faithful adaptation of the book, don't you? The book was only the basis for the movie.

The only reason why to pick up a copy of Postal is the full version of Postal 2 included in the jewel case (Boll must have a chronic case of head up the ass syndrome :rolleyes:). Verne Troyer must'be been really desperate for money for agreeing to appear in that flick.

As for Jackson, he didn't go by the book when he made the extended version for Return of the King. He offed Saruman way too early in the movie (he should've did it in the end, when the Shire was torched, insead of near the beginning of the flick).

Oh, and wether he likes or not (I didn't know he despised the long version), Lynch was in the director's chair when the editors cut the long verision, so he shouldn't bitch, since he gets paid wether people buy the short or long version of the film.

As for Jackson, he didn't go by the book when he made the extended version for Return of the King. He offed Saruman way too early in the movie (he should've did it in the end, when the Shire was torched, insead of near the beginning of the flick).

What makes a good book doesn't necessarily make for a good movie. It's easy to sit back and say, "Oh, they should've done this like the book!" "Oh, the book was better here!" And nine times out of ten, I'll agree with you. I've avoided some movie versions BECAUSE the books is treasured by me ("Troy" being a good example). But screenwriting is a different discipline than novel writing, and changes WILL be made, no matter what. LotR was very different from the book, but it worked. To get cheesed off over when Saruman got killed is to miss the forest for the trees.

If you don't want to see the book hacked up, don't see the movie. Simple as that.

Oh, and wether he likes or not (I didn't know he despised the long version), Lynch was in the director's chair when the editors cut the long verision, so he shouldn't bitch, since he gets paid wether people buy the short or long version of the film.

Lynch bitched about it? Where did you hear that? I've never heard him say anything about it, really, except that he took his name off of it (yes, it's an "Alan Smithee" film).

And he wasn't in the director's chair when they edited it...they edited it years later, exclusively for television.

Interesting, I thought that they were good CG. Oh well.....

Taksraven

yeah, the `splosions were CG but the ships themselves were around 5 meter in length highly detailed models and were shown in the studio in the Starship Troopers making of show. Keep in mind I saw that documentary over 10 years ago and my memory is hazy as to how many different ships they had or the exact size but I do remember they dwarfed the crew working on them..

Edited by MilSpex

What makes a good book doesn't necessarily make for a good movie. It's easy to sit back and say, "Oh, they should've done this like the book!" "Oh, the book was better here!" And nine times out of ten, I'll agree with you. I've avoided some movie versions BECAUSE the books is treasured by me ("Troy" being a good example). But screenwriting is a different discipline than novel writing, and changes WILL be made, no matter what. LotR was very different from the book, but it worked. To get cheesed off over when Saruman got killed is to miss the forest for the trees.

If you don't want to see the book hacked up, don't see the movie. Simple as that.

Lynch bitched about it? Where did you hear that? I've never heard him say anything about it, really, except that he took his name off of it (yes, it's an "Alan Smithee" film).

And he wasn't in the director's chair when they edited it...they edited it years later, exclusively for television.

I could've sworn they showed the long version in the theatres, it ran for 4 hours with an intermission in the middle of the film.

Mauling status pending:

a strait Mauling is being kind, McG deserves to die a slow and painful death from rectal cancer.

Sam for spider-man 3,the crime:adding toooo many villians and not knowing what to do with them!!!

punishment:biting his own tongue off from the impact of a firm headbutt!!

That wasn't Sam's fault though. The studios pressured him to do all that since he was only contracted for three films, they just figured if there are no more being made might as well as get what we can out of the last movie. Sam only wanted Harry and Sandman as the villains and it shows by the way they are handled in the film, while venom just seemed like a horrible after thought.

Gee, we've gone this far in the thread and no sign of George "Boo Hoo, you raped my childhood" Lucas??????

Taksraven

George "The Flanneled One" Lucas does get one big break though: He gave us Star Wars, and for me, the Original Trilogy. I can get by some of the idiotic hijinks and Ewoks from RotJ, if it meant I still got ANH and ESB.

Almost perfect list. I would actually take out Brett Ratner X-Men: The Last Stand is not great movie by any means but it has more action than X 1 & 2 combined. I love Money Talks.

I would add.

Indy 4 Spielberg

Superman Returns Bryan Singer

I would take out

Who else deserves a good mauling?

Paul W.S. Anderson (Event Horizon, AVP: Alien vs. Predator)

Andrzej Bartkowiak (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li)

Rob Bowman (Elektra)

Jan de Bont (Speed 2: Cruise Control, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life)

Steven E. de Souza (Street Fighter: The Movie)

Gavin Hood (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

Kenneth Johnson (Steel)

Wych Kaosayananda (Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever)

Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil, Ghost Rider)

David Kellogg (Inspector Gadget, Cool as Ice)

Brett Ratner (X-Men: The Last Stand)

Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin)

Shim Hyung-rae (D-War)

Barry Sonnenfeld (Wild Wild West)

Kurt Wimmer (Ultraviolet)

James Wong (Dragonball: Evolution)

Corey Yuen (DOA: Dead or Alive)

Mauling status pending:

Doug Liman for Jumper. I think that's enough to convince everyone to maul him.

Honestly, I didn't think that Jumper was that bad. The director only stuffed up by hiring shopfront mannequins to play the two leads. (The dude from Billy Elliot was cool though)

Taksraven

This is easy.

I add my vote for the punching bag known as Paul Verhoven for Starship Troopers. Okay, so he didn't like the book or the ideas in the book, he didn't like Heinlien - as I recall Verhoven didn't even read the book! - blah,blah,blah... That sounds like the perfect reasons to NOT make the damn movie, but nooooo, instead he went ahead and made the movie and dumped used food all over a much beloved SF military classic. Not to mention that he didn't even include the powered armor. WTF?! When I was in the 82nd Airborne Div we passed Starship Troopers from one paratrooper to the next to read. It was like reading about us in the future and old Verhoven just trashed the story. I only hope somebody remakes it as it was ment to be made.

"Sci-Fi Directors you would love to see mauled"? Is that like, [sarcasm notice] a threat of violence? Because if it is, I endorse this thread[/end of sarcasm notice] ;):p

Uwe Boll would be my target, if for no other reason than to assure that he won't ruin any franchise I care about with future movie projects :)

Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich would also be high on the list. No one needs to suffer their films :lol:

Spielberg...Not just for Kingdom, but for that boring ass AI, and utterly waste of time Minority Report. Him and Lucas...ugh. I LOVED that episode of South Park where they went after those 2...it was the best thing they've been associated with so far in the 20th century

Douglas Aarniokoski for Highlander: Endgame

Don Bluth for Titan A.E.

Tim Burton for Planet of the Apes

Danny Cannon for Judge Dredd

Jeremiah S. Chechik for The Avengers

Rob Cohen for Stealth

Chris Columbus for Bicentennial Man

Brian De Palma for Mission to Mars

Fred Dekker for RoboCop 3

Roland Emmerich for Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow and 10,000 B.C.

Baruc Godinez for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Anthony Hoffman for Red Planet

David Hogan for Barb Wire

Stephen Hopkins for Predator 2 and Lost in Space

Mick Jackson for Volcano

Irwin Kershner for RoboCop 2 (I don't care if he directed The Empire Strikes Back)

Brett Leonard for Highlander: The Source and Virtuosity

Andrew Morahan for Highlander III: The Final Dimension

Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel for Super Mario Bros.

Hal Needham for MegaForce

Chris Roberts for Wing Commander (I don't care if he created the franchise himself)

M. Night Shyalaman for everything after The Sixth Sense

Roger Spottiswoode for The 6th Day

Lee Tamahori for xXx: State of the Union and Die Another Day

The Wachowski Brothers for The Matrix sequels and Speed Racer

Simon Wells for The Time Machine

Edited by areaseven

This is easy.

I add my vote for the punching bag known as Paul Verhoven for Starship Troopers. Okay, so he didn't like the book or the ideas in the book, he didn't like Heinlien - as I recall Verhoven didn't even read the book! - blah,blah,blah... That sounds like the perfect reasons to NOT make the damn movie, but nooooo, instead he went ahead and made the movie and dumped used food all over a much beloved SF military classic. Not to mention that he didn't even include the powered armor. WTF?! When I was in the 82nd Airborne Div we passed Starship Troopers from one paratrooper to the next to read. It was like reading about us in the future and old Verhoven just trashed the story. I only hope somebody remakes it as it was ment to be made.

Starship Troopers was a fun movie none the less, I agree that it had very little to do with the book and NO Power Armor, I was bummed too. Still a fun & entertaining movie despite its rank of B-class actors. (The "B" stands for Beverly Hills 90210) But come on Doogie Howser M.D. as a General with mind control and a Nazi like uniform. Whats not to like!!! :p