1:48 Hasegawa YF-19

tetsujin

The '19 was by far the easiest build from their 1/72 line.....I guess it makes sense that they would go with this particular Valk for their new foray into 1/48.

Hopefully it gets a a lot more detail because the 1/72 was severely lacking in details......Can't wait either way !!

• 3 weeks later...
Hobby Japan has a tiny pic of the CAD model in their latest issue:

post-1187-1248612187_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it dosent give that much away. I can only assume that in usual HJ style they print more next month.

Actually.. that pic is interesting. I could be wrong, but it looks like they beefed up the gullet a bit. Not to 1/60 levels, but the area ahead of the arms on the underside looks a bit beefier.

As slick as it was, that actually was one of the most obvious variations on the Hasegawa 1/72 when compared with the lineart. You know that sharp edge along the side of the fuselage that blends between the nose and the hip area? The 1/72 kit has that area completely flat underneath, making it more wing-like on the edge. I don't have the pic available right now, but the lineart shows that area very clearly angled downwards, dropping the gear area down a bit.

Also, from the looks of it, they're building in the internal details on the leg missile bays. Whether they'll be fully molded, or you'll have to option to fill them with missiles has yet to be seen though.

Edited by Chronocidal

I would say doubtful, since the wheels fold up similar to the VF-1, but since this one still seems to use the oversized main gear bays from the 1/72, it might be possible.. Even though they're inaccurate, with bays that deep the wheels don't need to pivot to fold up, and can just fold straight back.

Personally, I think the gear were the weakest point on the 1/72 kit. The front gear already look a bit better from that pic, but the main gear needed a complete rebuild.

i love the yf 19,but really i hope only to see a VF 1 Strike as soon as possible... i don't want to spend 500$ for a resin copy honestly ...:( but for now is the only way to have a valk big and detailed...

However, do you know how much time pass between the production of two model kits? i hope we don't have to wait 6 months for see another 1/48 model kit (remember i'm italian! excuse my bad english!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thought this was supposed to be out already. I can't imagine it would be that difficult unless it was variable.

Mastered many injection kits, have you? :)

It won't be variable. If it were gonna be variable we'd have known by now. They would have been very eager to tell us about such an important feature of the new kit. We'd have seen CG images of the different modes and we'd all be arguing about how one mode or the other doesn't look right. (Such is the nature of the YF-19... The parts just don't fit together unless something is compromised. We've seen Hasegawa's design for this new kit and it doesn't appear to contain such compromises in fighter mode...)

No, not variable. That doesn't seem to be Hasegawa's m.o. anyway. Probably it's just your basic production delays. The best we can hope for is that they've got a full weapon set planned.

Mastered many injection kits, have you? :)

It won't be variable. If it were gonna be variable we'd have known by now. They would have been very eager to tell us about such an important feature of the new kit. We'd have seen CG images of the different modes and we'd all be arguing about how one mode or the other doesn't look right. (Such is the nature of the YF-19... The parts just don't fit together unless something is compromised. We've seen Hasegawa's design for this new kit and it doesn't appear to contain such compromises in fighter mode...)

No, not variable. That doesn't seem to be Hasegawa's m.o. anyway. Probably it's just your basic production delays. The best we can hope for is that they've got a full weapon set planned.

I've done my share of injection kits...and then some. Haven't we all?

I just don't see the hold up. Compared to a 1S with the strike parts, sweeping wings, etc. the 19 should be easy, the only thing maybe easier to make would be a 21.

I've done my share of injection kits...and then some. Haven't we all?

Yeah, but you haven't mastered any, is what I'm saying. You haven't designed a model kit from nothing and created toolings for the parts, designed box and manual and shipped it to distributors for sale. It's pretty natural that someone in that position wouldn't necessarily be familiar with the kinds of things that can delay a project like this, or even understand what a major undertaking it can (presumably) be to take a design from a kit you've already produced, scale it up by a factor of 1.5, and release a new kit. I don't know the answer to that either, not precisely, but I assume that it's actually a bigger effort than you or I would expect.

I just don't see the hold up. Compared to a 1S with the strike parts, sweeping wings, etc. the 19 should be easy, the only thing maybe easier to make would be a 21.

Really, I don't know the cause of the delay, either. But it does seem like a pretty minor delay, and not inconsistent with the kinds of delays we regularly see with various kit releases. It'll be over before we know it.

I don't think this release will include anything apart from the fighter, gunpod, and pilot. I really think they would have been pretty quick to include that information in their product announcement, it would be a major selling point. But it's possible, at least, that that stuff will be coming later... So here's hoping, eh? :)

Edited by tetsujin

Ad from the latest HJ magazine

post-1187-1251288534_thumb.jpg

Nice! Well, my Nihongo is not very good but I was able make out a couple things. Nothing that we can't make out from the pics but apparently there are weapon bay covers on the leg nacelles, silkscreen decals, something about a clear sensor in the cockpit, movable vector nozzles....

Also something on the bottom about a new VF-1A minmei special.. whatever that is...

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but what happened to the 1/48 VF-25 thread? I can't seem to find it, and there doesn't seem to be any news on it.

Good question, I was rather enjoying the PG vs. "real model kit" debates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the rudder looks like they added a few more scribed lines - but overall, they seem somewhat underwhelming, just the 1/72 scaled up. I hate the way the gunpod attaches to the plane with that stupid looking stick - and it looks like that's still intact from the 1/72 scale offering.

Lord, some of you guys are sounding kinda spoiled. :)

It's a 1/48 YF-19, probably at a very affordable price. This is a VERY GOOD THING!

If some parts lack detail, there's an aftermarket opportunity, or a chance for you to show off your mad superdetailing skillz.