Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1

sketchley

Do you know a place where I could find this book at reasonable price?

There will be a second print?

Edited by cool8or

I don't have the book in front of me now, but IIRC, it was only a total of 30 VF-1S produced.

Graham

Wasn't that the same number used in the AnimEigo liner notes...?

Variable Vehicles: 212 VF-1 Valkyrie (2009 February 7, 120 VF-1A, 12 VF-1D, 50 VF-1J, 30 VF-

S). 300+ VF-1 Super Valkyrie (2010 February 11).

That can't be it. Those were only VF-1 Valkyries stationed aboard the SDF-1 Macross. We saw more VF-1 Valkyries deployed at other stations besides the SDF-1, such as the U.N. Headquarters Guard seen in SDFM, Episode 15. If we're talking production runs over the life of the VF-1 Valkyrie line, they have got to be in the high hundreds/low thousands at least. Mass production ran from 2008 to 2015, so there must have been way more VF-1 Valkyries than what was stationed aboard the Macross. Mass production of the VF-4 Lightining III ran from 2012 to 2022 and produced 8,245 fighters.

I ordered 2 copies at Kinokuniya Los Angeles on 7/22/09. Supposedly, I was told 2 weeks for shipment, so I'm hoping by this friday. It came out to just over $40 for each. Don't know what day you tried to order from them, but they were happy to put the order through for me. Will let you know if I get mine.

That can't be it. Those were only VF-1 Valkyries stationed aboard the SDF-1 Macross. We saw more VF-1 Valkyries deployed at other stations besides the SDF-1, such as the U.N. Headquarters Guard seen in SDFM, Episode 15.

No one said those VFs were VF-1S's

If we're talking production runs over the life of the VF-1 Valkyrie line, they have got to be in the high hundreds/low thousands at least. Mass production ran from 2008 to 2015, so there must have been way more VF-1 Valkyries than what was stationed aboard the Macross.

Perhaps they are taking a que from the fact that it's 2009. The story takes place in 2009. It's 2009 right now.

Mass production of the VF-4 Lightining III ran from 2012 to 2022 and produced 8,245 fighters.

Yeh, and? Who said they were writing this from any certain perspective, i.e., the end of the VF-1's service time or in-continuity?

I'm still at work, so don't have the book in front of me, but IIRC, it lists a total of around 5,950 VF-1s produced up to 2015. The Valks are listed in quantity produced by year and by Block number. The majority are VF-1A, but there is a larger than expected number of VF-1D, VT-1 & VE-1 produced.

Graham

I'm still at work, so don't have the book in front of me, but IIRC, it lists a total of around 5,950 VF-1s produced up to 2015. The Valks are listed in quantity produced by year and by Block number. The majority are VF-1A, but there is a larger than expected number of VF-1D, VT-1 & VE-1 produced.

Graham

And I never know there's a handful of VF-1G until the book.

Will Yamato...

No one said those VFs were VF-1S's

Perhaps they are taking a que from the fact that it's 2009. The story takes place in 2009. It's 2009 right now.

Yeh, and? Who said they were writing this from any certain perspective, i.e., the end of the VF-1's service time or in-continuity?

1) I wrote specifically VF-1s in response to ALL the VF-1 numbers that Gubaba posted.

2) I fail to see how the ASS-1 landing in 1999 becomes irrelevant to a discussion of 2009.

3) The VF-4 Lightining III numbers weren't pulled out of nowhere and obviously would act as a benchmark of magnitude. And wouldn't you know it, they do....

Graham

That's fantastic. Thanks Graham. Actually, I must say I am also a little surprised by the numbers as well. I always suspected the VF-1 went into production of at least a thousand or more. But 5,950 is many more than I expected. It's also strange that the VF-1S was so limited. Roy really did have his pick of the litter. I suppose that's another indication of his high standing as an ace.

The book lists a total of 5,459 VF-1s made in 17 production blocks from 2006 to 2013.

The totals per type are: -

VF-1A = 5,093

VF-1D = 85

VF-1J = 49

VF-1S = 30

VF-1G = 12

VE-1 = 122

VT-1 = 68

The book list the type built per year, per block and also lists serial number range.

Only very small numbers of Blocks 1-3 were built in 2006 and 2007. Presumably these were all test machines. However, the 2006 date contradicts the 2007 first flight date given in the Compendium.

It’s not until block 4 (also 2007), that serious numbers (a few hundred) are built.

As of 2009 (start of Space War 1), the book lists 19 VF-1S as being built.

As others have mentioned, the VF-1G appears to be a retcon of the VEFR-1 “Funny Chinese”, which is not mentioned in the book. Neither is the VF-1B “Half-S” retrofit mentioned.

Graham

Thanks again, Graham

Wow, the variants are so few. I naturally assumed the D/J/S variants were always far fewer than the standard A model, but I never suspected the variants were so few as to approach such rarity. Some variants account for less than 1 percent of the entire production run. The UN Forces must have been really pissed off when Hikaru would lose a VF-1J :)

Compendium listed a VF-1 Group/Wing having 1 VF-1S, 6 VF-1J & 8 VF-1A. With 30 VF-1S & 49 VF-1J that doesn't allow for that many Groups/Wings. Thats enough for the Macross but not to lead 6000+ VF-1A. Were the death rates for Mass Production Type VF-1A really that high?

Compendium listed a VF-1 Group/Wing having 1 VF-1S, 6 VF-1J & 8 VF-1A. With 30 VF-1S & 49 VF-1J that doesn't allow for that many Groups/Wings. Thats enough for the Macross but not to lead 6000+ VF-1A. Were the death rates for Mass Production Type VF-1A really that high?

I don't have the book on hand now; but I think not all VFs make to the SDF.

Still, the 6 VF-1J: 8 VF-1A ratio looks too high to me.

Also, how many 1S you see in the series actually? Seems to be less than 1/15 of chance...?

Oh definitely, all the 5,495 VF-1s listed as produced from 2006 to 2013 are not just from the SDF-1.

In the Compendium, only 212 VF-1s are listed as being on the SDF-1 at the start of Space War 1. Not sure if that matches with the new data in the book though.

The book also lists squadrons as well.

Graham

Well it's possible that the UN Air Force, and UNS Marines avoid using special aircraft for wing/squadron commanders. Keep in mind that in modern terms most times you will only see one wing assigned to an aircraft carrier at a time and your average wing has 5 squadrons of 12-24 fighters each (there's also several squadrons of support craft but those don't really matter for our purposes here). 5x24=120 so if there are 120 VF-1s in a wing and 30 or so wings (one for every VF-1S built) that's 3600 VF-1A's, enough to account for a few thousand going to non-Spacy squadrons and attrition replacements. You'd also be able to sprinkle 2-3 VF-1Js in each wing with those numbers as well. Though I'll admit that's way less than 6 to a wing, maybe several VF-1Js were re-manufactured from VF-1As? Unlike the VF-1S, the only difference between an A and a J seems to be the head.

Unlike the VF-1S, the only difference between an A and a J seems to be the head.

According to the book... The difference of a 1J is that, it's made by a Japan manufacturer, and so they have better QA (right). The overall performance is thus better (production excellence), and also with better software, better firearm controls and target locking, things like that.

According to the book... The difference of a 1J is that, it's made by a Japan manufacturer, and so they have better QA (right). The overall performance is thus better (production excellence), and also with better software, better firearm controls and target locking, things like that.

That's what it says in Macross Chronicle, as well.

That's what it says in Macross Chronicle, as well.

It's been in the Compendium for years. It even says Shinnakasu Heavy Industry (the Japanese company in question) licensed it for manufacturing.

Well I knew that the 1J was built in Japan, and as you pointed out the greater QC is likely BS (especially with the level of automation in production that we see in Macross). That just leaves the upgraded software and controls and as has already been mentioned the head. All of those are things that could be added to an existing fighter pretty easy outside of a factory.

Well I knew that the 1J was built in Japan, and as you pointed out the greater QC is likely BS (especially with the level of automation in production that we see in Macross). That just leaves the upgraded software and controls and as has already been mentioned the head. All of those are things that could be added to an existing fighter pretty easy outside of a factory.

Current automobile production lines are currently highly automated, yet region of manufacture has a huge impact on QC.

The Ford Focus debuted in Europe several years before it did in North America, and it was a smashing success in terms of QC, there were no recalls, and they got rave reviews in terms of reliability and overall build quality. The cars to roll off the American production lines several years later, despite using the same tooling, were plagued with QC issues and are a generally inferior product. Just drive a Euro vs. American Focus, they're staples of rental companies on both continents and there is a night and day difference between the who seemingly identical products.

Edited by Sketch

just got this in the mail today. top-notch production, i'm very impressed.

can't read japanese so cannot comment on extent of new info, but some of the bits that piqued my interest:

- prometheus deck layout

- prometheus is submersible?!

- how the intake covers slide down

- why rectangular thrusters

- cockpit display schematic

some choice pics:

post-6173-1249625482_thumb.jpgpost-6173-1249625414_thumb.jpgpost-6173-1249625449_thumb.jpg

and my fave:

post-6173-1249626030_thumb.jpg

sweet reference for a dio ^_^

i can see this being top of the pile of my macross books for quite a while (ok, maybe just under the gold book).

if you're on the fence, suggest you just go an get one. doubt you'll regret it.

Got it from Kino at Takashimaya today. $56 before 20% discount.

the kino in taka and bugis never got them. the kino in liang court sold out within a couple of days of arrival. i missed out on the last copy by just a few hours when i droppped by then. if only i had stepped out during lunch break... sigh :(

I dropped by Kinokuniya in L.A. today, and checked for it. They had two copies (which means they now have one).

I haven't had much of a chance to go through it yet, but it looks like it was well worth the price.

Thanks I just ordered that another copy online and if any of you rat bastards run in that store and pick it off the shelf before they mail it to me, I'm gonna find you and shove that book up your ass. :lol: