Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1

sketchley

cool man, what section would i find it in? i guessing the anime/magna? i ask this because i always feel lost in japanese bookstores

In the San Francisco store? I have no idea...

In the L.A. store, it's on a big display with a big of other robot anime books.

cool man, what section would i find it in? i guessing the anime/magna? i ask this because i always feel lost in japanese bookstores

It was a year ago when I bought it at the SF Kinokuniya, but when I was there it was in the anime manga section on a table set aside for new Robot anime books like Gubbaba described. In the SF store that's downstairs which actually threw me when I first went there.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Translated one of the tables in the book, since I'm working on the production blocks.

interesting... i was hoping to see something that ive seen looking at some Legacy F/A-18 and older P-3 SE manuals when dealing with specific BuNo's of aircraft, where some lot numbers cross over (either because a batch was being built along with another, from different plants) but thats not the case here. its pretty consistant, save a few times where obviously something else was being build in significant numbers besides VF-1 airframes...

Edited by pensives_wetness

interesting... i was hoping to see something that ive seen looking at some Legacy F/A-18 and older P-3 SE manuals when dealing with specific BuNo's of aircraft, where some lot numbers cross over (either because a batch was being built along with another, from different plants) but thats not the case here. its pretty consistant, save a few times where obviously something else was being build in significant numbers besides VF-1 airframes...

Based on the dates, probably the beginning of VF-4 production there...

The interesting parts to me there are the block 6 VE/VT-1s. In Space Wing, I believe, it was said that the VT-1 was where they introduced the second-generation cockpit interior, the one they used in DYRL. This was always referred to as the block 6 interior before Master File came out, so it's a good reference there. The other is Shinnakasu being added in for the FF-2008 engines in the later VF-1s.

Also of note, Master File follows the Hasegawa first production VF-1, 2107906 on the table, being flown by Roy in the type's maiden flight. Later that VF-1A got refitted into a VF-1S and is his plane in the show (Skull One). The prototype's scheme is seen in the color appendix. I personally hate that whole idea.

I need to go back and fix the "Preceeding production type" with Pre-production type" tomorrow. I need to not translate things when I had a long day. <_< Currently working on the production blocks, finished the block 17 earlier. I'll post them when I have more finished.

Edited by Talos

Also of note, Master File follows the Hasegawa first production VF-1, 2107906 on the table, being flown by Roy in the type's maiden flight. Later that VF-1A got refitted into a VF-1S and is his plane in the show (Skull One). The prototype's scheme is seen in the color appendix. I personally hate that whole idea.

Yeah, I'm not fond of that idea either... the thing that made Roy's "Skull One" special when it was passed down to Hikaru was that it was Roy's old plane, a sort of tangible symbol of his being forced to grow up and fill his senpai's shoes. After all, Roy's VF-1S was one of 30 assigned to the Macross, it didn't need a unique development history to make it special. IMO, what they're trying to do with Roy's VF-1S there is more in keeping with Robotech than with Macross.

I still have to buy this book :ph34r:

HMV still has it in stock, IIRC. HMV has the book in-stock, along with the other two if you want.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Yeah, I'm not fond of that idea either... the thing that made Roy's "Skull One" special when it was passed down to Hikaru was that it was Roy's old plane, a sort of tangible symbol of his being forced to grow up and fill his senpai's shoes. After all, Roy's VF-1S was one of 30 assigned to the Macross, it didn't need a unique development history to make it special. IMO, what they're trying to do with Roy's VF-1S there is more in keeping with Robotech than with Macross.

Totally. It sounds like something Robotech would do. Didn't one of the comics have something with Roy's plane being semi-sentient or something along those lines? I just vaguely recall the absurdity of it.

Heck, according to Master File's crappy numbers (seriously, I love the idea of the differing production blocks and such, but the production numbers have to be a vast underestimation, especially taking into account colony fleets and so forth), that's basically the entire production run of VF-1S ever made, including several made after the war. 31 in total, with the extra one being the VF-1A getting converted.

Anyway, that plane and the 5000th VF-1 produced were both schemes taken from Hasegawa model kits. Along with the special VF-19 model kit they made for VF-19 Master File, Hasegawa seems to be cooperating with them a lot.

Along with the special VF-19 model kit they made for VF-19 Master File, Hasegawa seems to be cooperating with them a lot.

Gee...I wonder why... *points at large number of Hasegawa Macross kits*

Heck, according to Master File's crappy numbers (seriously, I love the idea of the differing production blocks and such, but the production numbers have to be a vast underestimation, especially taking into account colony fleets and so forth), that's basically the entire production run of VF-1S ever made, including several made after the war. 31 in total, with the extra one being the VF-1A getting converted.

You have to keep in mind a couple of things:

1) the total number officially produced is consistent with the only VF who's total production number is stated in the official setting - the VF-4 (8,245).

2) the VF-1 continued to be unofficially produced in limited numbers by emigrant planets and fleets. It is unknown how many were made. Nevertheless, even in the 2050's, the Frontier Fleet produced a small run of VF-1 for special forces uses.

3) the VF-1 was already considered out of date by the time of Space War I (the development of the VF-3 and VF-4 was progressing at the outbreak of that War). So, it's not surprising that the total number produced is small, especially given the weaknesses inherent in the base design.

4) the main VFs of the Megaroad class fleets was the VF-4 (supplemented by the VF-5000 when it's mass production began).

So, given the context of the official setting, I have no problem with the total numbers of produced. Especially because of the loop hole of emigrant fleets and planets continuing to produce it in small numbers. :p

Note: by officially produced, I do not mean official setting vs expanded universe, but the amount produced during the period of mass production by Stonewell Bellcom (or the ones given production blocks).

Edited by sketchley

2) the VF-1 continued to be unofficially produced in limited numbers by emigrant planets and fleets. It is unknown how many were made. Nevertheless, even in the 2050's, the Frontier Fleet produced a small run of VF-1 for special forces uses.

Also isn't the VF-1 master file written from the perspective of being published in 2020 of the Macross universe? In that case any license built VF-1's from the 30's; 40's; and 50's would obviously not be counted.

• 3 weeks later...

Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Vol.2 Valkyrie Space Wing; Contents #12 VF-1 retrofitting Stealth and Variable joints strength improved.

VF-1X/P Freja(Freyja)

VF-1P_X_Freja (Freyja) Dorsal_3_view f130fe9f799e4caa.gif

VF-1P_X_Freja (Freyja) Ventral_3_view 748a432127706a03.gif

GU-11D Gunpod(Magazine changeable improved)f0760f12782de098.gif

2nd.Generation Missile and Bomb for " VF exclisive"f33314214c0ae7e1.gif

Edited by yui1107

Those are from Space Wing, Master File VF-1 vol. 2, not from vol. 1. That book is still in print as well.

Don't think this user understands us or cares to understand us.

VF-1P/X with FAST pack nicknamed " Super Freja (Freyja) "

VF-1P_X_Freja(Freyja) with_FAST_Pack_Ventral_3_view

94fddffbfe5c39dd.gif

VF-1P_X_Freja(Freyja) with_FAST_Pack_Dorsal_3_view

68d8efee8ff3d578.gif

Edited by yui1107

Rockwell&Bell-Textron spin-out, General-Galaxy president " Alexei Clerkin " and VF-4

Variable Fighter Master File -Wings of Hope -

VF-4 "Lightning" / VF-3000 "Crusader" / VF-5000 "Star Mirage"

ae68d825e83f6231.gif

An Emigrant Management Control Bureau (EMCB)

Edited by yui1107

I have issues with a "Space Paveway", especially in retaining the "GBU" designation. No gravity=no dumb bombs, basically. If you add a rocket motor etc to a Paveway, it would be an AGM or even AAM. (Macross doesn't really seem to differentiate between air and space for weaponry, so there would be no space-specific designation I presume)

I'm having problems getting your second link to open, but I presume you mean this book. http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A1%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB-VF-1%E3%83%90%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC-GA-Graphic%E7%B7%A8%E9%9B%86%E9%83%A8/dp/4797351829/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304751847&sr=8-4

They are vol 1 and 2 relating to the VF-1. The first deals with the earlier career of the VF-1, atmospheric use, development, and the base models (VF-1A/D/J/S, etc). Vol 2 (Space Wing) deals with the VF-1s that came later (VF-1X/P) as well as Armored packs, FAST packs, and general space useage as well as the twilight years of the VF-1.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going through my copy & I noticed something interesting on page 43, not sure if anybody else managed to catch it.

It's on the top left corner of the side instrument panel diagram, above item # 15.

It's also at the top & to the left of item # 7.

It reads:

May the force be with you always

I don't think that's supposed to be there. :lol:

I was just going through my copy & I noticed something interesting on page 43, not sure if anybody else managed to catch it.

It's on the top left corner of the side instrument panel diagram, above item # 15.

It's also at the top & to the left of item # 7.

It reads:

May the force be with you always

I don't think that's supposed to be there. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed those a couple months ago and had a facepalm moment about it.

There's a whole bunch of other ones on that page too including, among other things, dinosaur (and related) names like pterosauria, sauropod, and parasauro(lophus). Also "Get Sport" and the font name "Helvetica".

Yeah, I noticed those a couple months ago and had a facepalm moment about it.

There's a whole bunch of other ones on that page too including, among other things, dinosaur (and related) names like pterosauria, sauropod, and parasauro(lophus). Also "Get Sport" and the font name "Helvetica".

These labels can be hazardous to the pilot. At this rate, we can forget the 20-round discrepancy with the gunpod.

edit: typos

Edited by UN_MARINE

• 3 months later...

Blows dust off topic.

Got around to translating the descriptions of the VF-1D, 1G and 1N.

Not much to get excited about, but I like that we get some hard data on the VEFR-1... er, VF-1G's radome's capabilities.

As much as I don't like the gross mis-assumptions and bold errors present in the VFMF:VF-19 and VF-25 books, I think the 2 VFMF:VF-1 books have quite a bit more relevancy. Though, there are still the occasional oddities... such as the tendency to try and incorporate everything into a unified model progression; especially when previous sources deliberately didn't.

For example:

The VF-1G is so obviously the VEFR-1. Why the name change? Especially with VFMF:VF-1 stating that only a few were made?

Why the VF-1N? Especially because the description confusingly includes the previously published J+ and S+? Why not continue to refer to it as the Half-S VF-1 update?

At least the VF-1D is unchanged, and it's praiseworthy for actually providing a logical reason why it is only seen at the start of SDFM, and never again.

Blows dust off topic.

Got around to translating the descriptions of the VF-1D, 1G and 1N.

Not much to get excited about, but I like that we get some hard data on the VEFR-1... er, VF-1G's radome's capabilities.

As much as I don't like the gross mis-assumptions and bold errors present in the VFMF:VF-19 and VF-25 books, I think the 2 VFMF:VF-1 books have quite a bit more relevancy. Though, there are still the occasional oddities... such as the tendency to try and incorporate everything into a unified model progression; especially when previous sources deliberately didn't.

For example:

The VF-1G is so obviously the VEFR-1. Why the name change? Especially with VFMF:VF-1 stating that only a few were made?

Why the VF-1N? Especially because the description confusingly includes the previously published J+ and S+? Why not continue to refer to it as the Half-S VF-1 update?

At least the VF-1D is unchanged, and it's praiseworthy for actually providing a logical reason why it is only seen at the start of SDFM, and never again.

Good work on those, sketchley.

Just some quick comments for now, I'll add more later when I get the time.

The VF-1G, it's probably renamed because, as you put it, they wanted a more unified system. I like the detail about it being able to use single or two-seat forward fuselages. The VEFR-1 line art shows it with a VF-1D forward fuselage and a plain chest plate.

VF-1N, the name was probably chosen in reference to the McDD F-4N Phantom, which was an update of the earlier Navy F-4B to include new engines and wing mods. I would have rather liked to have seen the VF-1B (Half-S) myself. When I did some VF-1 profile drawings, I used a (Master File block designations) block 13-14 VF-1 with a VF-1S head as a stand-in for the VF-1B, so it has the new panel arrangements, tail, ventral fins, and flat-panel antennas. On an unrelated note, I also did a block 17 VF-1A, using the MF VF-1X/P nose blisters to represent the improved sensors listed in the block 17 description. The J+, S+ (and A+ with a theoretical D+ as well) were just the Block-6 onwards VF-1s anyway, any with the DYRL cockpit, as I recall.

Now for the VF-1D....I hate it when sources write off the VF-1D like that. I think it was in the Macross II/DYRL background info that listed weak engines as the reason for the unpopularity of it, which is an awful reason (especially if they have the same engines as a VF-1A!). It always reminded me more of the two-seat combat capable planes like the B/D models of the F-15, F-16, and F-18 in addition to training duties, while the VT-1 normally is more unarmed and like the Hawk trainers. Two different functions.

Rockwell&Bell-Textron spin-out, General-Galaxy president " Alexei Clerkin " and VF-4

Variable Fighter Master File -Wings of Hope -

VF-4 "Lightning" / VF-3000 "Crusader" / VF-5000 "Star Mirage"

ae68d825e83f6231.gif

An Emigrant Management Control Bureau (EMCB)

Hey does anyone know when this book above comes out? Is there a date?

Hey does anyone know when this book above comes out? Is there a date?

That is a in-book ad for something that doesn't exist...We don't know if Softbank/GA Graphic is going to put out another one...yet. Although I hear the next book featuring the RX-78 Gundam is coming.