Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1

sketchley

Okay guess what you get to live. As a seller placed 3 now 2 copies on ebay. Not the seller who was charging $79 but the one who is charging $36+ $8 shipping. Should something happen to that book in the mail I will still blame you. Who ever bought that another copy.

I got my copy a few days ago. Pretty cool stuff. I really need to learn to read Japanese though.

Anyways, I highly recommend this book.

Roy, did you order your Ebay copy from nippon-dodododo? That's who I got mine from and I have no complaints. Actually it was a great transaction.

So what exactly is so great about this book? Or rather, how is it better than the Sky Angels Dojinshi?

It's received overwhelmingly average reviews over at Amazon, with most of the complaints being stuff like "the CG art is cheap-looking / looks like PS2 graphics", or that it goes on and on with pilot interviews and pointless stuff while leaving out any mention of FAST Packs etc. entirely!

Seriously? I am not very impressed so far... There's already a wealth of info on this machine not only from the 25 years+ of material released, but also the Chronicle keeps cranking out more and more stuff on it.

Can we expect a proper review from somebody who has the book, so we know precisely what about it is worth 3000 yen?

So what exactly is so great about this book? Or rather, how is it better than the Sky Angels Dojinshi?

It's received overwhelmingly average reviews over at Amazon, with most of the complaints being stuff like "the CG art is cheap-looking / looks like PS2 graphics", or that it goes on and on with pilot interviews and pointless stuff while leaving out any mention of FAST Packs etc. entirely!

Seriously? I am not very impressed so far... There's already a wealth of info on this machine not only from the 25 years+ of material released, but also the Chronicle keeps cranking out more and more stuff on it.

Can we expect a proper review from somebody who has the book, so we know precisely what about it is worth 3000 yen?

To be quite honest, I haven't started reading the book much at all...nor am I likely to. It'd take forever for me to get through even a few pages of it.

Most of the illustrations look very, very good. Some don't, of course, but the good outweighs the average, I think.

Mostly, I just think they did a really good job of making it seem like a real aviation book, and things like the pilot interviews are part of that.

I don't have the Sky Angels doujin, so I'm not sure how it compares. I think it supplements Chronicle nicely, since the Chronicle pages more or less cover only what's in the animation itself, and the Master File covers quite a lot more (Development history, post-2010 stuff, squadron markings, that kind of thing).

(And it does have the FAST packs, although it only devotes one page to them. And it's ¥2500, not ¥3000.)

So mostly, for me, it's the art that makes it special. That may not be enough for others, though.

Now that I think about it there could a very good reason why there are so few VF-1J & VF-1S models. Don't have the book yet.

The VF-1J was the Japanese made one. The SDF-1 Macross could have gotten the entire first run. Wars ends and so there no factory or factory workers in Japan to make any more. All the factories in space that start up production just cranks out only the Mass Production Type.

Mostly, I just think they did a really good job of making it seem like a real aviation book, and things like the pilot interviews are part of that.

The one really fun part I found with that idea is that on the dustjacket of the book there's a ad for the zentran language version of the book.

Just picked up my 2 copies from Kinokuniya Los Angeles. Awesome book. Some of the pics look so damn realistic, you'd think it was a real jet. The info and details are quite good. Nothing super new as far as info, but a very well put together book.

Now that I think about it there could a very good reason why there are so few VF-1J & VF-1S models. Don't have the book yet.

The VF-1J was the Japanese made one. The SDF-1 Macross could have gotten the entire first run. Wars ends and so there no factory or factory workers in Japan to make any more. All the factories in space that start up production just cranks out only the Mass Production Type.

Except that the book lists both VF-1J and VF-1S continuing to be made after Space war 1. Production figures by year as follows: -

VF-1J Production figures by year

2007 = 6 made.

2008 = 19 made.

2009 = 4 made.

2010 = 12 made.

2011 = 4 made.

2012 = 2 made.

2013 = 2 made.

VF-1S Production figures by year

2007 = 6 made.

2008 = 13 made.

2009 = 0 made.

2010 = 8 made.

2011 = 3 made.

2012 = 0 made.

2013 = 0 made.

Graham

We need a fragging translation of this book, and pictures, lots of pictures.

I acquired mine last week (and received it in the mail yesterday) for a reasonable price through eBay (paid USD $45.99 including airmail shipping).

Just by looking at at the (most awesome) graphics, many things make sense, and I wish I knew more Japanese so I could appreciate the content, especially the specs for the VF-1G.

Now I've only had a glance at it, yes there are pictures - lots of pictures, and the photo-realism is just superb.

Language barrier aside I am quite glad I scored a copy.

I grabbed a copy at Kinokuniya during the SF bay area meet last week. As someone who's never had a technical Macross book this is awesome :D , I was literally drooling over it when I first flipped through it. So, is anyone planing on doing some translating of this? It was totally worth the $40 for the illustrations alone, but the more I look at it the more I want to know what they heck they're saying about everything.

I especially want to know about the notes on the various block versions.

Except that the book lists both VF-1J and VF-1S continuing to be made after Space war 1. Production figures by year as follows: -

VF-1J Production figures by year

2007 = 6 made.

2008 = 19 made.

2009 = 4 made.

2010 = 12 made.

2011 = 4 made.

2012 = 2 made.

2013 = 2 made.

VF-1S Production figures by year

2007 = 6 made.

2008 = 13 made.

2009 = 0 made.

2010 = 8 made.

2011 = 3 made.

2012 = 0 made.

2013 = 0 made.

Graham

Are those fighters or squadrons?

I ordered a copy from the Beaverton OR, Kinokuniya on July 21st and the order was cancelled on July 28th unfortunately I was out of town. I never got one from Ebay because I thought I already had one coming my way. It looks as if my only option now is Amazon books Japan.

Has anyone ordered this book or one similar from Amazon.co.jp what were the shipping options & how much was the shipping to the west coast of the US?

Edited by rdenham

I ordered a copy from the Beaverton OR, Kinokuniya on July 21st and the order was cancelled on July 28th unfortunately I was out of town. I never got one from Ebay because I thought I already had one coming my way. It looks as if my only option now is Amazon books Japan.

Has anyone ordered this book or one similar from Amazon.co.jp what were the shipping options & how much was the shipping to the west coast of the US?

I ordered it, but it isn't in stock with them which is what I feared. After waiting about 2 weeks, I got an email from them saying it will be another 2-3 weeks before it ships. I just canceled it instead because I didn't want wait and the shipping was....like twice the cost of the book.

Chris

Quick question for any of you lucky people who have one. Some of the pictures I have seen show the SDF-1, TV version, but the prometheus looks different, was it redesigned for the book, can anyone confirm of post a clean scan of it? The picture on the hlj page in particular makes the Prometheus look like it was crossed with the carrier from Macross-0.

Edited by Knight26

Quick question for any of you lucky people who have one. Some of the pictures I have seen show the SDF-1, TV version, but the prometheus looks different, was it redesigned for the book, can anyone confirm of post a clean scan of it? The picture on the hlj page in particular makes the Prometheus look like it was crossed with the carrier from Macross-0.

The the design itself looks the same but they changed the color. now the upper hull and flight deck are light gray instead of blue.

I noticed about the fighter to battroid transformation on page 66. The valk on the page has a yamato style swingbar instead of the correct leg plates. not sure if anyone else noticed that.

I noticed about the fighter to battroid transformation on page 66. The valk on the page has a yamato style swingbar instead of the correct leg plates. not sure if anyone else noticed that.

no, it's correct, the angle just makes it look confusing.

I just got back from Kinokuniya in Los Angeles, and they had a HUGE stack (probably twenty copies) of the book.

Get 'em while the gettin's good!

Lets help them some more

Direct Link to order them in the USA

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/cgi-...829&AREA=02

Direct Link to order them in Japan

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/cgi-...WORD=4797351829

Lets help them some more

Is this link only for California stores; I have been trying to order a copy from my local Portland/Beaverton OR store for a month with no luck?

Is this link only for California stores; I have been trying to order a copy from my local Portland/Beaverton OR store for a month with no luck?

I search on the main page by ISBN. Only the stores in CA & NY have them. You can place on order online and they will mail you a copy from one of those stores. I think it is just $8 extra for a book that is already in country. That is what I tried to do but that when there was only 2 copies remaining I lost out that time.

If you prefer to get one from your local store give them either of this ISBN-10: 4797351829. Their inventory systems should be linked.

Thanks for posting these! - I placed an order using their NY store yesterday evening (late) and recieved shipping confirmation today.

$ 48 total, shipped

-b.

Lets help them some more

Finally got mine too! (thanks Gabriel aka GGemini!)

Loving it, though some of the CG pictures wasn't exactly that photorealistic, but overall, still pretty nice pictures!

Nice layout for the CVS-101 Prometheus, never really seen it before, but wondering what are the "fingers" (the protrusions on the bow and port of the vessel), seems to be something related to the launch of the "ghosts".

I'm really looking forward to some translations for the text, and I'm sure, knowing what it actually says will add much more satisfaction than what I am already feeling right now.

BTW, when they say the battroid mode is 12.68 meters tall, do they include the lasers?! The schematics in the book make it very clear for the plane mode measurements starts where and end where, but not so for battroid....

Just got my copy, cool, one question, what in the farting hades is this VF-1N variant that keeps popping up in the book?

It's an updated A-type with the FF-2008 engine. In 2019, valks from Blocks 9 to 10 were modified into this variant. Outwardly, the N variant resembles the A-type. The same Block 9-10 valks' J and S-types were given the same engine upgrades and are later called J+ and S+ types. In other words, the VF-1N is just an updated variable fighter.

I've simplified the explanation from the book's text just FYI.

Edited by Project Phoenix