Hello, my name is Stick Bernard.

Vostok 7

I got the original Mospeada DVD set a week or two ago and got around to watching a few episodes couple of nights ago. Man the original show is really BORING to watch! Maybe it was just me being biased for seeing the Robotech version 1st, but the music seemed off during the fight scenes, the dialogue is slow and there's no narrator in between scenes. I was trudging through the first 3 episodes before i fell asleep on the couch.

Maybe this is old news, but i was looking forward to seeing the original Mospeada, but I think i maybe have to quit and go buy Robotech New Generation DVD's

It was so nice to NOT have the narrator, or the dummy dialog the Robotech production added. I waited 2 fecking DECADES to watch it without that crap ram-rodded into the show. [Although otherwise I do think the Robotech dub has some great talent, and I did like the Robotech music tracks as much as I like the original Hisaishi Mospeada tracks.]

Edited by AcroRay

So does anyone have the Aoshima version of the Tread (Beta Toynami) yet? If so is it just as good in the quality dept, just diff colors?

I want to know this too and after reading through Jenius' site, I'm still a bit confused. So let me summarize if this is correct:

Toynami Legioss and Tread

+ Near line art scale and chunkyness

+ Legioss and Tread mates perfectly

+ details (panel lines etc...)

+ military colors

+ best packaging out of the 3

- quality sucks or are the "newer shipments improved?"

- floppy and saggy in many places of the legioss in fighter mold

Aoshima

+ same as above

+ better quality?

- brighter "anime" colors

- quality only a tad better than above?

- packaging is not as good

CMS

+ best quality out of the 3

+ best fit and finish

- crap connector between legioss and tread

- even brighter anime colors

- skinny legioss deviates from lineart

- crap looking landing gears

- crap packaging but close to Aoshima

I've been holding off so long and am looking to either build up my 1/48 model kits or pickup a set of the above. So which should I splurge on or do I wait for that 1/35 holy grail version to come out?

I want to know this too and after reading through Jenius' site, I'm still a bit confused. So let me summarize if this is correct:

Toynami Legioss and Tread

+ Near line art scale and chunkyness

+ Legioss and Tread mates perfectly

+ details (panel lines etc...)

+ military colors

+ best packaging out of the 3

- quality sucks or are the "newer shipments improved?"

- floppy and saggy in many places of the legioss in fighter mold

Aoshima

+ same as above

+ better quality?

- brighter "anime" colors

- quality only a tad better than above?

- packaging is not as good

CMS

+ best quality out of the 3

+ best fit and finish

- crap connector between legioss and tread

- even brighter anime colors

- skinny legioss deviates from lineart

- crap looking landing gears

- crap packaging but close to Aoshima

I've been holding off so long and am looking to either build up my 1/48 model kits or pickup a set of the above. So which should I splurge on or do I wait for that 1/35 holy grail version to come out?

It basically comes down to what you're after. The Toynami/Aoshima Beta looks good and is built well. The Toynami/Aoshima Alphas are prone to poor QC and breakage.

The link-up is tight, so if you are just after looks and love the look of the combo, and don't plan to play with the set (or at least not the Alpha), then go for a Toynami/Aoshima.

The CMS set is very toy-like and has excellent QC. Nothing is really prone to breakage and you should be able to 'play' with it. However, linkup is very loose and doesn't look very good. Also the brighter colors seem to offend some people. Another issue is that the Alpha doesn't really peg together completely in fighter mode but relies on a lot of friction.

So, you need to decide if you're just going to be looking at your Alpha/Beta set or handling it. If you like to transform your toys a lot and pose them, be aware of the issues on the Toynami/Aoshima Alpha.

If you are just after a display piece, just look a pics and decide which set is more pleasing to your eye.

If you hate the look of the CMS, love the look of the Toynami/Aoshima, but really want something you can transform and play with, you're kinda screwed. Well, half-screwed since the Toynami/Aoshima Beta is a solid toy.

My unasked-for personal choice is the CMs. I'm one of the unlucky few who actually prefer the brighter colors and non-accurate design of the Alpha and don't really care about the combo. I also like to handle my toys a lot, and the CMs set has held up like a champ after a year and a half of transforming and posing.

Edited by eriku

I have the Aoshima Tread... I'll have something up on it hopefully sooner than later. There's no ways about it, quality of the Toynami/Aoshima Alpha/Legioss products is pretty bad overall but the Beta/Tread offerings are much better. The CMs was astronomically over-priced for what you got and while the quality is in a whole different league from Toynami's piddly efforts the overall design leaves a lot to be desired.

The descriptions above is the reason why I decided not to buy from any of the company. Its just pure garbage! Half-A$$ed product and failed to meet the needs of the 80s kids.

All this Mospeada brand SHOULD have been left for Yamato to produce! No exceptions!!

It was so nice to NOT have the narrator, or the dummy dialog the Robotech production added. I waited 2 fecking DECADES to watch it without that crap ram-rodded into the show. [Although otherwise I do think the Robotech dub has some great talent, and I did like the Robotech music tracks as much as I like the original Hisaishi Mospeada tracks.]

I think it was the awkward timing of some of the music in the wrong places. It really makes a huge difference when you're watching an action sequence or something bad happens, and there's funky happy 80's anime music that plays at the same level the whole time.

I don't remember the narrator being that bad but i liked the self monologue's that told what the characters were thinking instead of leaving you wondering what's going on in their mind.

The descriptions above is the reason why I decided not to buy from any of the company. Its just pure garbage! Half-A$$ed product and failed to meet the needs of the 80s kids.

All this Mospeada brand SHOULD have been left for Yamato to produce! No exceptions!!

Honestly, the Toynami Beta is really , really good. I was very impressed with it. I wouldnt have continued spending 150 bux each if I didnt, Im not rich by anyones standards. And honestly Yamato did have twenty-plus years to produce one and didnt.

If you hate the look of the CMS, love the look of the Toynami/Aoshima, but really want something you can transform and play with, you're kinda screwed. Well, half-screwed since the Toynami/Aoshima Beta is a solid toy.

Thanks for the summary guys! Looks like I'm screwed or will be confined to a display only piece for now.

BTW: Yamato hasn't been around for 20 years right? Maybe 10 at most.

I wish the holy grail 1/35 Legioss (and TREAD) combo would come to be realized one day ... and not soon enough...

Which lead me to believe that Mospeada was not big enough for them to produce. Hence, look what happen to Beagle. Though, they came very close!

Mospeada wasn't popular enough and HG only had 25 years to try to popularize their product... but I guess they need more time.

I think it was the awkward timing of some of the music in the wrong places. It really makes a huge difference when you're watching an action sequence or something bad happens, and there's funky happy 80's anime music that plays at the same level the whole time.

I don't remember the narrator being that bad but i liked the self monologue's that told what the characters were thinking instead of leaving you wondering what's going on in their mind.

That's why I simply can't watch the original cartoons in their un-dubbedness. I've watched, re-watched, re-re-watched, re-re-re-re-re-re-re-^456324 watched Robotech so many times that to see the same images with different music and voices just too damned jarring. Especially the music.

While I'm still waiting for my Beagle Ley to come in, I will say the Beagle toys are by far the most accurate, and bad@$$ of all the toys. I like the betas too, but these Beagles are just simply amazing. Too bad, cause the Fuke was the one I wanted most, and the Yellow was the one I wanted 2nd most. The Stick and Ley are always made. I have the Megahouse ones already.

They need more fans too!

What they need is a new series that will apeal to new fans and old ones alike.

We are all 30+ or something, how long will we be collection? 5 years tops? The numbers will decline.

If they don't bring in a new generation of fans Robotech is doomed. They got this following via the TV series.

What's wrong with doing an other one? (i know they did not do this one them selves).

Edited by gilermo

What they need is a new series that will apeal to new fans and old ones alike.

We are all 30+ or something, how long will we be collection? 5 years tops? The numbers will decline.

If they don't bring in a new generation of fans Robotech is doomed. They got this following via the TV series.

What's wrong with doing an other one? (i know they did not do this one them selves).

I think that was the point of Shadow Chronicles. They would have only had enough funding for that OVA rather than being able to finance a whole series or rehash an existing one. Sentinels and 3000 failed in early stages.

Their real hope lies with the supposed live action movie - they would be hoping for a piece of the success that Transformers had.

I think that was the point of Shadow Chronicles. They would have only had enough funding for that OVA rather than being able to finance a whole series or rehash an existing one. Sentinels and 3000 failed in early stages.

Their real hope lies with the supposed live action movie - they would be hoping for a piece of the success that Transformers had.

If HG can't affort a new series they are in big trouble. Isn't a full feature live action movie much more expensive?

It won't be easy getting investors interested if mechandise sales are so low. They are going to have to involve the whole macross thing into this, and tell investors it's big in Asia.

Could't they redub one of the many Macross series there have been sinds? The did it once right ;) ?

If HG can't affort a new series they are in big trouble. Isn't a full feature live action movie much more expensive?

It won't be easy getting investors interested if mechandise sales are so low. They are going to have to involve the whole macross thing into this, and tell investors it's big in Asia.

Could't they redub one of the many Macross series there have been sinds? The did it once right ;) ?

If the arrangement is like the relationship Hasbro has with the live action movies then HG would be licensing Robotech names and terms to a studio (eg Paramount) which would front the inventment for production. HG would then make money from licensing the Robotech name to toys and merchandising. If HG contribute mecha design or writing credits then they would also recieve licensing/royalties from that.

Yeah... lol. I was being facetious with my above statement and AgentGHQ totally took it serious... so I'll try to be obvious now... TWENTY FIVE YEARS and they couldn't do anything with the property means you should just give up hope for the property. Even if the movie gets made. Given Hollywood's propensity to never use a show's original design means that there's no hope to ever see toys based on the cartoon. IF... and it's the biggest if you'll ever see, they ever make a movie... you won't be seeing Mospeada. That means no cyclones, no Alphas, no ride armors and no Legioss.

They couldn't revive interest with the last cartoon, why would making a second one make any difference?

They couldn't revive interest with the last cartoon, why would making a second one make any difference?

I was very interested, i remember almost wetting my pants when they anounced it.

Then came the lame story and medioker 3d animation, and i was disapointed. Add to that the lukewarm reception by critics and you have an instant miss.

I think they should give it an other (better) try. What else can they do? interest won't pick up out of nowhere.

They might as well close up shop then, or be satisfied with what little we still bring to them. Witch won't be for ever by the way...

Yeah... that's what I mean... interest as far as reaction after the release. Primary interest doesn't count as much as reception. From what I hear, the whole thing is a bust because HG's present triumvirate doesn't like outside influence on their storyline. Which means not hiring any actual writers or any actual creative directors for their projects.

I know their marketing guy is always spinning about how much of a success SC is but if that was true where are the products as a result? Where are the merchandise, where are the T-shirts, the underoos and the cell phone cases? Even Toynami hasn't really released anything from SC.... maybe one Alpha that was recalled. LOL. Maybe they should really think about marketing Robotech and Mospeada instead of their own egos.

Watch the re-dubbing Macross talk on these boards, you're likely to be chased away with torches and pitchforks. HG doesn't have to worry too much about making a live action movie, all they did was sell the rights to a live action movie to Warner Brothers. Now it's up to Warner Brothers to assign producers who will try to find enough money to make the movie actually happen. They're also trying to draft up a script. At this point, it seems very little progress is being made. You can probably think of it as this: "Wow, the economy is going so well we can make money even using obscure niche market ideas! Check it out, I just spent some of my gobs of money on this old 80s cartoon's rights." > "Crap, the economy took a dump, toy lines for that old 80s cartoon are drying up, and I don't think I can make gobs of money with it any more."

Meanwhile, Tommy has stated that Shadow Rising is staying in pre production until WB can make a splash with the Robotech name. This could mean that HG took a pretty big financial hit of their own and they just don't have the money to make a second film (Isn't HG a holding company of some sort?). Of course, it could also mean that Tommy is just really optimistic there will be a WB movie made... but if he's trusting word from movie studios I pity him.

Yeah... that's what I mean... interest as far as reaction after the release. Primary interest doesn't count as much as reception. From what I hear, the whole thing is a bust because HG's present triumvirate doesn't like outside influence on their storyline. Which means not hiring any actual writers or any actual creative directors for their projects.

I know their marketing guy is always spinning about how much of a success SC is but if that was true where are the products as a result? Where are the merchandise, where are the T-shirts, the underoos and the cell phone cases? Even Toynami hasn't really released anything from SC.... maybe one Alpha that was recalled. LOL. Maybe they should really think about marketing Robotech and Mospeada instead of their own egos.

I actually bought it, but just because i'm such a Robotech fan. As far as merchandise goes.

I saw a SC messenger bag on EBAY B))

Edited by gilermo

I'm not sure if these were mentioned before, but BBTS.com is listing pre-orders for an 'Improved Version' of the MPC Maia Shadow Fighter as well as the 'Shadow Chronicles Movie Edition: Marcus Shadow Fighter MPC', both at $79.99 and due for release soon.

Improved huh? Knowing meself i probably will be getting both of these too :rolleyes: .

I hope the mold has been greatly improved and that they will knock out the rest of the Scott Bernard Alpha's.

Improved huh? Knowing meself i probably will be getting both of these too :rolleyes: .

I hope the mold has been greatly improved and that they will knock out the rest of the Scott Bernard Alpha's.

I'm assuming Exo's right in that it will be the 'regular crappy' version. I don't think they would go to the high expense of retooling the molds for minimal characters.

Wholly crap indeed :D