Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

As of right now it's pretty hard to tell, if anything we might get a retelling and then the final moments will be a continuation after what we saw in the series, this is my guess and it's as good as yours lol. What I can say is that most likely it's a retelling with a twist.

It will be told from the Vajra point of view? :ph34r:

It will be told from the Vajra point of view? :ph34r:

FRONTIER 2 SCRIPT

VAJRA: ALL GLORY TO THE OVERMIND!

END

But seriously, I do wish they'd actually make a damn theatrical sequel for once instead of just retelling the same stuff we all saw less than a year ago.

Just passed by Animesuki and it seems like the info about the movie were translated there

The greatest news is that the LT will get a closure! Let's see now which of Sheryl or Ranka will be left in the end~

You mean this?:

眉毛は三角関係に決着は着けたいけど、はたしてアルトに甲斐性があるかって問題ですから…とな

The conclusion of the love triangle will be included in the movie, hoping that Alto will have more resources.

How did they come up with that? That is an awful translation. The real translation is totally the opposite, something more like this:

"Eyebrow" [sK] doesn't settle the love-triangle, but that's probably because Alto is kind of a dependable/admirable guy...

So... I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT -- Coloured things up for clarity

Edited by Renato

You mean this?:

The conclusion of the love triangle will be included in the movie, hoping that Alto will have more resources.

How did they come up with that? That is an awful translation. The real translation is totally the opposite, something more like this:

"Eyebrow" [sK] doesn't settle the love-triangle, but that's probably because Alto is kind of a dependable/admirable guy...

I hope you're joking here because this is tragic to my mind as I write this response...are you serious? If they don't settle things then I won't get the closure that I've been hoping for since episode 24 of Macross Frontier...

I hope you're joking here because this is tragic to my mind as I write this response...are you serious? If they don't settle things then I won't get the closure that I've been hoping for since episode 24 of Macross Frontier...

If he didn't settle it in the series, what makes you think Kawamori will settle it in the movie?

You mean this?:

Disputed by Tak on the AnimeSuki boards. I´ll quote:

Actually, he is quite right. I didn't even catch that, and only translated VA comments, wow...

EDIT: Wait, he is not correct. I mis-read one single letter and the sentence became off completely.

Anyway, the more literate translation would be:

Edit: Although eyebrows (SK) does want to settle the reality, in reality that is actually a problem where Alto has a lot of resources in.

- Tak (which could mean it will be resolved... but really not Kawamori's call?)

I'll just throw in my own translation since everyone's at it...

Also, I don't quite agree with any of the other three translations I see on this page alone.

Eyebrows [sK apparently] wants to settle the triangle but the problem is wether Alto has the ability/resourcefulness [to do so].

Perhaps this makes a little more sense.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

Also, I don't quite agree with any of the other three translations I see on this page alone.

Eyebrows [sK apparently] wants to settle the triangle but the problem is whether Alto has the ability/resourcefulness [to do so].

Just a gut reaction, but I think this is likely what was meant.

<_< Original DVD Anime

It was brought up before... possibly in this thread, in regards to the Movie release...

:huh:

I was being sarcastic lol, since that person said "Over-dose Anime" I responded by saying if that was an Otaku lol, get it? Otaku's = Anime Fiends and they said Over-dose Anime. Yeah lol, I was just being silly ^_^

Edit: Oops my bad, maybe you weren't even talking to me :p

Edited by DeX-kun

Well, Alto is a character written by Kawamori. So in the end it falls to SK to settle it. Saying "the character can´t do it!" is a cop-out. ^_^

I disagree. Often, characters can kind of take over, and dictate to the author what they want and need. Just look at Sheryl, who outgrew her original, rather minor role (or so I've heard) and managed to successfully, elegantly take over the entire show.

EDIT: Wait, he is not correct. I mis-read one single letter and the sentence became off completely.

Ah, man! I misread the same single letter. :rolleyes:

OK... so he DOES want to settle it. I take the sentence to mean that there is a question of admirability if Alto remains stoic and does not choose either, like in the show.

Anyway, that's a real bi*** of a sentence because actually it doesn't say anything concrete.

Basically, Kawamori would probably like a resolution but choosing one would put Alto in a tough light.... I guess half of the MacF fans would hate him no matter whom he chooses.

Hell, I don't care, I hate him anyways. I'm just looking forward to more Valk on Vaj action.

EDIT - Clarity

Edited by Renato

Eyebrows [sK apparently] wants to settle the triangle but the problem is wether Alto has the ability/resourcefulness [to do so].

Yeah, I think this is closer to what he's trying to say.

Hopefully, it will be packed full of high resolution mecha lineart, and complete mecha stats, but I'm not holding my hopes up.

Graham

I'm hoping the same thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book turns out to be a color book of the story "Misadventure of Ranka Cell Phone (Keitai Kun)". :ph34r:

I disagree. Often, characters can kind of take over, and dictate to the author what they want and need. Just look at Sheryl, who outgrew her original, rather minor role (or so I've heard) and managed to successfully, elegantly take over the entire show.

Sure, for the general trajectory a character can prove more popular with the audience ( and the writers ), so his story gets changed. By the writers, of course, because the script for a character still doesn´t magically appear by itself. ^^

As for the conclusion of the love triangle, Altos decision should be weighed by the writers by how Altos character arc and his interactions with the other two girls have developed. But in the end, it´s just a writer putting down his pen and writing the concluding sentences. For the series, the end should have been Sheryl X Alto ( IMO, etc... don´t jump down my throat, people, we had this discussion before and some people are close to getting aneurysms over it ).

For the movie.... well, the movie hasn´t happened yet, we may even get a love quadrangle ( leaving poor Michael out in the cold ^^ ), so we´ll see how the characters come off there. TV Minmay and DYRL Minmay were totally different characters, after all.

Sure, for the general trajectory a character can prove more popular with the audience ( and the writers ), so his story gets changed. By the writers, of course, because the script for a character still doesn´t magically appear by itself. ^^

As for the conclusion of the love triangle, Altos decision should be weighed by the writers by how Altos character arc and his interactions with the other two girls have developed. But in the end, it´s just a writer putting down his pen and writing the concluding sentences.

Have you ever written anything that just "wrote itself?" Have you ever started writing a story with no idea of what would happen, only to find that the characters themselves are bursting through your original conception of them and essentially telling you what to write? It happens, and stories CAN pretty much magically appear by themselves.

I don't know if it happened that way with Alto, but it DOES happen.

For the series, the end should have been Sheryl X Alto ( IMO, etc... don´t jump down my throat, people, we had this discussion before and some people are close to getting aneurysms over it ).

I think most people here (myself included) would agree that he SHOULD have picked Sheryl. What I disagreed with was people saying that he DID pick Sheryl (and you can tell because there are lots of little clues and hints that only a real Sheryl fan can see).

For the movie.... well, the movie hasn´t happened yet, we may even get a love quadrangle ( leaving poor Michael out in the cold ^^ ), so we´ll see how the characters come off there. TV Minmay and DYRL Minmay were totally different characters, after all.

Why stop at a quadrangle? Give Nanase, Kathy, Grace, and Bobby all crushes on Alto, too...then we'll have a REAL harem anime, and so a harem ending would no longer upset people.

There. I solved the problem. Mr. Kawamori can thank me with cash.

Have you ever written anything that just "wrote itself?" Have you ever started writing a story with no idea of what would happen, only to find that the characters themselves are bursting through your original conception of them and essentially telling you what to write? It happens, and stories CAN pretty much magically appear by themselves.

I don't know if it happened that way with Alto, but it DOES happen.(...)

I second this. I'm writing my own stories, and some of the characters have taken control of the story. Gah!

Mind you, the nice benefit is that the story grows organically, and things tend to take place because of the character's actions. Not like the badly written movies, where no matter what the characters say or do, they are shuffled into the next scene or sequence...

I don't know if it happened that way with Alto, but it DOES happen.

While I am not a writer myself, I´ve read enough entries by very talented people on LJ about this very phenomenon, so that, yes, I can see it happening.

I just don´t see it happening in the MF series in a way which should make the writers have Alto *not* pick Sheryl.

I think most people here (myself included) would agree that he SHOULD have picked Sheryl. What I disagreed with was people saying that he DID pick Sheryl (and you can tell because there are lots of little clues and hints that only a real Sheryl fan can see).

Well, I did see them. ^_^

Why stop at a quadrangle? Give Nanase, Kathy, Grace, and Bobby all crushes on Alto, too...then we'll have a REAL harem anime, and so a harem ending would no longer upset people.

There. I solved the problem. Mr. Kawamori can thank me with cash.

Brrrr.... no thanks. Harem animes are generally crap, as far as I am concerned.

While I am not a writer myself, I´ve read enough entries by very talented people on LJ about this very phenomenon, so that, yes, I can see it happening.

I just don´t see it happening in the MF series in a way which should make the writers have Alto *not* pick Sheryl.

I kind of agree...Alto seems so passive about the whole thing that if Sheryl had just stormed in and said, "Alto, you're my boyfriend now. Take me to bed or I'll kick you in the nuts," he probably would've done it. Sheryl wins by force of personality and will. But Alto, for whatever reason, does seem ambivalent, and I think she left the final choice up to him. Bad idea. Left to his own devices, I think he'll never choose.

Well, I did see them. ^_^

Yes. Yes, you did. As I said, only real Sheryl fans saw them. People like me who were on the fence didn't.

Brrrr.... no thanks. Harem animes are generally crap, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for ruining my budding career coming up with endings for Kawamori. <_<:p

I kind of agree...Alto seems so passive about the whole thing that if Sheryl had just stormed in and said, "Alto, you're my boyfriend now. Take me to bed or I'll kick you in the nuts," he probably would've done it. Sheryl wins by force of personality and will. But Alto, for whatever reason, does seem ambivalent, and I think she left the final choice up to him. Bad idea. Left to his own devices, I think he'll never choose.

Well, we are back to the point where I´d need to point all the things I ( and the other Sheryl X Alto fans ) did see which pointed to Alto having chosen Sheryl. If you are in the mood, read the releveant parts of Crusaders entries here, here and here, they explain very well what we Sheryl shippers saw as a conclusion.

Thanks for ruining my budding career coming up with endings for Kawamori. <_<:p

Just tell him that you think polygamy is the bestest thing ever, and you´ll have a leg up over the rest of us. B))

Edited by magnuskn

Ah well, Can't say I care either way if Sheryl or Ranka gets ALto, as I find Alto so unlikeable. But a resolution to the triangle would be nice... Come to think of it, if Basara were to show up and swoons the two singers with his "Listen to my song" an angry Mylene around, we'd see some action :lol:

Well, we are back to the point where I´d need to point all the things I ( and the other Sheryl X Alto fans ) did see which pointed to Alto having chosen Sheryl. If you are in the mood, read the releveant parts of Crusaders entries here, here and here, they explain very well what we Sheryl shippers saw as a conclusion.

I don't really want to get into this again (I know, I know, I brought it up...).

Still, to repeat: I understand your argument, I just don't subscribe to it.

Unless you want to explain why, days after being told that she has a certainly-fatal disease that is transmitted through bodily fluids, Sheryl decides that sleeping with Alto would be a great idea.

I don't really want to get into this again (I know, I know, I brought it up...).

Still, to repeat: I understand your argument, I just don't subscribe to it.

Unless you want to explain why, days after being told that she has a certainly-fatal disease that is transmitted through bodily fluids, Sheryl decides that sleeping with Alto would be a great idea.

Huh, how did we arrive at that particular topic? Well, by this time she would have known that there was an anti-serum for her disease, which works if applied early enough. So there would be no real obstacle to sleeping with Alto ( besides angsty discussions and the like. ^_^ ).

I think we better drop this, before we wake up some people here. :p

Macross F movie might actually make Klan the new heroine.

The much talked about Macross Frontier movie may dump songstress favourites Ranka Lee and Sheryl Nome in favour of Klan Klein as leading role, claims Newtype…

The news comes by way of interviews given with the director and other production staff in Newtype, and Newtype goes so far as to emblazon the doubts on their cover (doubtless a shrewd marketing move).

The director himself is clearly a Klan fan: “I’d like to make a TV series with Klan”. Others go on to talk about how appreciators of Klan will be well served in the movie edition, with an expansion of her role.

However, they are sparing with the details, and it looks as if Ranka and Sheryl will manage to retain the limelight, especially as we are given to understand the movie will be partially a recap.

Some speculate that Klan may get a new segment to herself, whilst the main story is unchanged… Whatever the case, it looks like fans of the character will be well served.

Source: Sankaku Complex. Head there yourself as the picture on the article is NSFW so i didn't link it.

w00ts....a big F.U to the Ranka/Sheryl shippers? The revenge of Klan fans? :lol:

Hopefully, it will be packed full of high resolution mecha lineart, and complete mecha stats, but I'm not holding my hopes up.

Graham

Me neither. I expected the Frontier Materials to be like the original Red and Blue books, but nada...

Well, Alto is a character written by Kawamori. So in the end it falls to SK to settle it. Saying "the character can´t do it!" is a cop-out. ^_^

Actually Kawamori wrote the story, not the script. On many occasions he gave the script writers the latitude to take the characters where they felt they should go. He created the framework outline of the events and the staff writers filled in the blanks. Very common in TV.

The writer Kawamori brought in to flesh out Sheryl (can't remember his name at the moment) had free reign with her and because of it, she became one of the best characters of the series. This is mainly due to the fact that she actually "evolved" into someone new over the course of the show. Klan was another character who evolved. This is what makes great drama.

Back to the initial comment. Considering how much Kawamori enjoys leaving dangling threads and enigmas, I'd expect no resolution to the triangle, much like Mac 7 had. However, considering SK doesn't like to do the same thing twice, we may get a "hint" or at least an ambivalent answer that can be taken either way depending on the fan interpreting it.

The key is to keep the fans talking about the show long after its over, to feed the fires of fandom.