Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

Haven't you guys heard of OAV before? How many years has it been since the last anime was released on tape?

Though, it's odd that it's not an OAB (B being BD being Blueray Disc). Does this mean that it'll be of a lower quality? :lol: pun.

Yes, it should be OAV (or OVA) :p But apparently these youngin's love coming up with new acronyms/names for things. :p

lol actually I've never heard of OAD until it was just mentioned that's why I asked OAD? I'm kind of disappointed if it does end up being an OAV because I'd rather have their movie come out first and then release any OAV's they want. This is turning out to be pretty bad :( Please if anyone has anymore info about this I would love to know because I was really looking forward for the movie.

lol actually I've never heard of OAD until it was just mentioned that's why I asked OAD? I'm kind of disappointed if it does end up being an OAV because I'd rather have their movie come out first and then release any OAV's they want. This is turning out to be pretty bad :( Please if anyone has anymore info about this I would love to know because I was really looking forward for the movie.

Nothing it's saying that it won't be awesome. Don't let your mind waver B))

FV

Times do change but they announced a "Theatrical" release, not a OVA. Either way I shouldn't worry so much but I would just prefer a movie because I think it would just be so much better in the long run. I'm willing to wait and I'll buy the Blu-ray whenever it comes out.

It's possible they want to create a new acronym to distinguish this release as on "Original Animation Disc" moving away from the conotation of video tapes which traditionally were associated with OVAs.

Hence the impression that this movie will only be released on DVD & BD...

Gotta love marketing teams... :rolleyes:

From Animage: Macross Frontier movie to be released in June 2009 as OAD (original anime DVD). No theatrical release. I smell a 120 minutes mega-sumup coming. Can someone confirm this?

News3762.jpg

I would just like to say that alto is by far the hottest one in that pic.. :ph34r:

Honestly though, I'm still thinking they're going to release a Theatrical version unless an OFFICIAL page says otherwise. Right after the series ended they announced it and on top of that they said that it was going to be Theatrical. I really wouldn't understand why they would change it seeing as how successful the series did and even how the music still seems to be doing so well after such a long time has passed. They wouldn't disappoint us by giving us a OVA/OAD whatever it is lol, instead of a Theatrical release.

It could be that they intended to release it theatrically when they made the announcement, but when they shopped around for a theatrical distributor, no one wanted it; and/or the time period that they want to release it in is fully booked with other films. The OAD release may just be the releasers wanting to capitalize on the popularity before it disappates.

But yeah, let's wait and see what an official sources says about it.

seems like everyone's stuck on the notion of an OAD instead of a theatrical release.

i wonder, is there a chance that there will be an OAD and a theatrical release? the japanese in that article is rather vague..

seems like everyone's stuck on the notion of an OAD instead of a theatrical release.

i wonder, is there a chance that there will be an OAD and a theatrical release? the japanese in that article is rather vague..

Well as of right now all we can really do is just feed off the small potions of information we get here and there lol. If you're right and there is BOTH a OAD AND a Theatrical release, I would be excited because then I could watch that OAD/OVA before the Theatrical version comes out. That should hold me out until the movie does come out. Still all we can do right now is just wait until some new information is released.

I just picked up the January issue of Gundam Ace, and there's a big ad for Macross Ace in it. There's not a whole lot of information, but here's what I've gleaned from it:

* "Super Dimension Fortress Macross THE FIRST" by Haruhiko Mikimoto will be 80 pages in the first issue (just like Gundam the Origin, before Gundam Ace went monthly...).

* Latest Movie, Music, Game, Model kit, and other goods news.

* An original Macross F story by Macross F's director (not Kawamori, the other guy...Yoshino).

* Contributions by various MacF related people: the guy who does the main Macross F comic (bleh), the guy who does the "Macross F: Hold Me...to the Edge of the Galaxy!" comic (which I haven't seen...it's a gag manga, no?), and the guy who wrote the MacF novels (could be interesting).

* Some comic artist I've never heard of named "Noshi" doing "Macross F: Secret Files." The Fact that "Secret Files" is English, but written in Hiragana leads me to believe that this will NOT be a serious MacF comic.

To be honest, I don't think it sounds terribly promising; but then, neither did Gundam Ace when they announced it. I know I bought the first issue of that solely on the strength of "Gundam the Origin," and then later they started expanding the premise, and starting some really good comics, so maybe this will be the same way.

I just picked up the January issue of Gundam Ace, and there's a big ad for Macross Ace in it. There's not a whole lot of information, but here's what I've gleaned from it:

* "Super Dimension Fortress Macross THE FIRST" by Haruhiko Mikimoto will be 80 pages in the first issue (just like Gundam the Origin, before Gundam Ace went monthly...).

* Latest Movie, Music, Game, Model kit, and other goods news.

* An original Macross F story by Macross F's director (not Kawamori, the other guy...Yoshino).

* Contributions by various MacF related people: the guy who does the main Macross F comic (bleh), the guy who does the "Macross F: Hold Me...to the Edge of the Galaxy!" comic (which I haven't seen...it's a gag manga, no?), and the guy who wrote the MacF novels (could be interesting).

* Some comic artist I've never heard of named "Noshi" doing "Macross F: Secret Files." The Fact that "Secret Files" is English, but written in Hiragana leads me to believe that this will NOT be a serious MacF comic.

To be honest, I don't think it sounds terribly promising; but then, neither did Gundam Ace when they announced it. I know I bought the first issue of that solely on the strength of "Gundam the Origin," and then later they started expanding the premise, and starting some really good comics, so maybe this will be the same way.

Thanks a lot for the information :) Well we'll see what happens in a couple of months, hopefully things turn out better than it seems right now.

Lemme guess, Alto's dad kicked Alto out of the house because of all those darn paper airplanes? Ranka-vision clicks on whenever she sees something beautiful? Michel's phone had names, addresses, phone numbers, birthdates, favorite things, measurements, pictures, etc. of all the girls he's met and they were all on speed-dial and Klan wasn't? :lol:

I agree that some great stuff came out of Gundam Ace. Masato Natsumoto's "Gundam Legacy 1" was just released. Finally! It's been 4 years!

That said, when it comes to Gundam, the original timeline is the best. The last two series? I avoided them like the plague. They don't present anything new to the franchise.

Hopefully, as Gubaba said, the Macross Ace will produce some good stuff. Damn... looks like I will have to pick up the first issue. Bye bye ¥.

Really? I'm shocked ;):lol:

It started off as an interesting twist to what seems to be the only gundam story they want to tell but any promise was completely squandered by the middle of the season and the finale had to be one of the biggest cop outs in recent memory.

Really? I'm shocked ;):lol:

I like the designs of 00, but I heard the plot is a lot like Wing... And I hated Wing (but liked the designs too). I should watch both seasons of 00 before judging though, hehe.

My favorite mecha anime from 2008 was Macross Frontier... period. ^_^

Btw... Is there going to be any special event on February 7? That's the official date for the start of Space War I...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Each to his own, but I find the 00 mecha designs to be getting progressively sillier as the show continues. That coupled with mediocre animation, boring fight choreography, unlikeable, boring characters, means there is absolutely nothing about the show that appeals to me.

Gundam had it's glory days with CCA, 0080, 0083, 08MST IMO.

The franchise is way past it's sell by date and should be retired for at least a decade IMO.

Graham

Each to his own, but I find the 00 mecha designs to be getting progressively sillier as the show continues. That coupled with mediocre animation, boring fight choreography, unlikeable, boring characters, means there is absolutely nothing about the show that appeals to me.

Gundam had it's glory days with CCA, 0080, 0083, 08MST IMO.

The franchise is way past it's sell by date and should be retired for at least a decade IMO.

Graham

Off topic : The Gundam would not likely to stop long running TV franchise until they get bored unless Amuro Ray or Kamille Bidan legacy revive again in next sequel.

Edited by NightmareEX

I agree that some great stuff came out of Gundam Ace. Masato Natsumoto's "Gundam Legacy 1" was just released. Finally! It's been 4 years!

That said, when it comes to Gundam, the original timeline is the best. The last two series? I avoided them like the plague. They don't present anything new to the franchise.

Hopefully, as Gubaba said, the Macross Ace will produce some good stuff. Damn... looks like I will have to pick up the first issue. Bye bye ¥.

Since I (FINALLY!) have access to a scanner, I may pick up two copies of at least the first issue, so I can rip one apart for my, um, digital Macross collection.

Especially if "Macross the First" is anything like "Gundam the Origin," and has more color pages in the magazine than in the collected volumes.